The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on August 16, 2004, 06:21:04 pm

Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2004, 06:21:04 pm
I am on DAY TWO of a massive hangover.  Yes, I dug my own grave, but I had a blast that made it all well worth it, and managed to destroy my brides maid dress.  

As some of you know, my job is very intense - dealing with Aboriginal Elders.  So I stagger out of my office today, in search of something deep fried, and an elder (who is sitting in his car blasting opera music) is out there, and motions me over.  He grabs my hand kisses it, and says "today we're going to free some prisoners!"  and I go "today?" and he goes "every day.  You'll see.  When we talk, you'll see.  I love you."  I mumble "I love you too" and wander off.  Today is not a day where my brain is working, like, at all.  The guy at the fried chicken place gave me extra sauce 'cause I'm wearing my Gandhi shirt, (India's Independance day was yesterday, but yesterday entailed more wedding partying, so I had to dress up and not wear a T-shirt no matter who's on the front) but then he got all excited and started asking me all sorts of questions my brain couldn't work around, mostly I was like "Yes, he was a good man.  Yes."

People have, of course been sharing their hang over cures, now and in the past.  And most of them are, I'm pretty sure, just mean jokes to make my stomach turn, but I'm really interested in these cures.  Especially traditional ones, like rendering the fat off a skunk, which according to traditional Metis medicine, is like, the cure for everything, or so it seems.  I know water and sleep are what I really need, but what other cures have y'all heard of, what cures have you *gulp* tried?

edit: oh god, my head
edit: oh my belly
edit: oooh noo.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: jough on August 16, 2004, 07:10:13 pm
Assload is an English measurement.  It's the amount of Roombas that would fit into King Henry's ass.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 16, 2004, 07:10:41 pm
Pho, aka Vietnamese beef noodle soup.  Big steamin' bowl of that, add some hot sauce, you'll feel better.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: Ben-San on August 16, 2004, 07:11:02 pm
Tomato juice probably can't hurt.

Unless you have a tomato allergy, in which case it would probably actually hurt quite a bit.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: side_show on August 16, 2004, 07:21:52 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Assload is an English measurement.  It's the amount of Roombas that would fit into King Henry's ass.


okay, I may be out of it, but doesn't this post belong in the thread for todays comic?  This is the second post that I've caught out of place today...what's going on, are you people trying to mess with me?

Edit: andalucia, would you also like to share my hangover?  Cause I've got dizzy to spare.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: andalucia on August 16, 2004, 07:21:52 pm
Wrong thread, Jough.

As for hangovers, I usually go with lots of orange juice and comic books in bed.

Edit:  Whoa, simultaneous callout.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: Bozack on August 16, 2004, 07:43:01 pm
I actually rarely get hungover, but the first time I got drunk, my boss got me to drink what seemed like gallons of water, and that has been a habit I've continued until this day. So, basically, what you already knew.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: jough on August 16, 2004, 08:59:09 pm
D'oh.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: slink on August 16, 2004, 09:15:39 pm
Flat Irn Bru. (http://www.irn-bru.co.uk/)
There's nothing like it anyway, but flat it has so much sugar and caffeine that it gets straight through a hangover. Fizzy, it does nasty things to your nose.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: andalucia on August 16, 2004, 09:48:25 pm
Please not that this beverage's website as linked to by Slink is not, in itself, in any way conducive to recovering from a hangover.




Edit:  1000!
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 17, 2004, 12:59:11 am
Whoever said Pho is right on it. It's also really good for when you think you 'might be coming down with something'. I have staved off colds 4 times this year with Pho.

If you can't get it, Miso soup is also good, and if you're man/woman enough, a big hot bowl of Menudo will work too.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: Bozack on August 17, 2004, 02:46:32 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
If you can't get it, Miso soup is also good, and if you're man/woman enough, a big hot bowl of Menudo will work too.


(http://www.sitcomsonline.com/menudo.jpg)

WILL IT EVER!
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: linnea on August 17, 2004, 03:02:26 am
Dear, sweet baby Jesus. That is one HELL of a hangover.

Alcohol poisoning is the fuck*ng whip.

IV fluids would be good, like Ringer's solution or at the very least, saline.

My ex fiance was in the Army and had combat lifesaver training, but even though he knew how to do an IV he would never give me one. Looking back, I am glad that he never did, because he is obviously a fuckin' knob. An IV would be hell of effective for a hangover, though.

Barring medical intervention, I would recommend a multivitamin. Drinking is hell on your B vitamin levels. Obviously you need to take it easy (how the FUCK did you ingest that much alcohol, anyway?) and focus on rehydration and nutrition:  

1. Multivitamin
2. Water
3. Gatorade or Pedialyte (some kind of electrolyte replacement drink)
4. Yogurt, whatever flavor you like (I like plain, but I'm weird like that)
5. Banana (replacing potassium and other valuable nutrients)
5. Painkiller of choice for your aching skull

The yogurt and banana will soothe your stomach so you can take the multivitamins, while delivering precious nutrients to your ravaged, broken body. Good luck.

You could get all fancy, but those are probably all you need. Get better soon. Damn.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: sailor on August 17, 2004, 08:05:12 am
Before bed: Drink a shit ton of Emergen-C, the kind heavy on potassium. Potassium, somehow, is key in preventing hangovers. B-vitamins help a lot, also.
My painkiller of choice is Excedrin, or preferably, a generic with the same ingedients: acetominaphen, aspirin, and caffine. Wonder trio.
And if you are in Canada, get the OTC codeine.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 17, 2004, 01:54:02 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
And if you are in Canada, get the OTC codeine.



No WAY.
Reason #48 why I fuck*ng love Canada.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: side_show on August 17, 2004, 02:20:53 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
And if you are in Canada, get the OTC codeine.


I am in Canada.  There is no need to "get" the OTC codeine, as it is a regular player in my med's cabinet.

Quote from: "AlohaD"
If you can't get it, Miso soup is also good, and if you're man/woman enough, a big hot bowl of Menudo will work too.


Is there some other definition of Menudo?  'Cause...um...well....

The hangover is gone, I am now in the "huge plan to return to healthy living" phase of post hangover.  I'm all working on a big water bottle at my desk, and I even brought an apple to work.  I always get this huge flush of desire to be better to my body after I damage it so.  If only I could hold on to that desire.  I have zero will power.

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Pho, aka Vietnamese beef noodle soup. Big steamin' bowl of that, add some hot sauce, you'll feel better.


I actually drive past a place called "Pho No.1 Vietnamese" everyday on my way to work.  I'm very anti-soup, don't know why, but I just don't like soup.  I can understand why it would work though, and will give this a go if I ever end up worshipping the porcelain alter again.

Other things I was told to try:

-Drink an entire cup of raw egg yolks (this has to be a mean joke)
-Drink a cup of Chamomile tea (did this - it did get rid of the sea sick feelin' but didn't solve any of the other problems)
-Drink this lime Margarita that I am holding out to you right now (a guy at the post wedding BBQ's idea -I didn't do that - it was just such a scary shade of green)
-Lie down on the couch and watch this Dilbert DVD I bought (my SO's suggestion.  I did this also, and the boringness of it put me to sleep, which seemed to be the ultimate cure, as I woke up spring-time fresh!)
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: Ben-San on August 17, 2004, 07:42:45 pm
Menudo is a kind of spicy tripe stew.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 18, 2004, 02:23:30 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"
Menudo is a kind of spicy tripe stew.


And it's six kinds of awesome, and so are you if you can eat it.

Here's a recipe (http://www.texmex.net/Recipes/menudo.htm)

Make sure you have plenty of tripe and pigs or calves feet handy. This is the real Mexican soul food. A bowl of this, you're ready to go.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: Bozack on August 18, 2004, 02:54:42 am
(http://www.hewnandhammered.com/pho/images/phoshizzle.gif)
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: V-Adore on August 18, 2004, 04:50:59 am
Bozack, if that restaurant really exists, that's the best place ever.

If it doesn't, kudos to whoever did the Photoshop work.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: arkabee on August 18, 2004, 01:06:31 pm
10 vitamin B Complex, and water, so much water.

20 keep drinking water until your pee stops being neon from the B Complex.  then take more B Complex, and drink more water until your pee stops being noen.

30 GOTO 10

aspirin helps, but they key is water, water, water, water, water.  and sleep.  lot's of sleep.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 18, 2004, 07:23:57 pm
SYNTAX ERROR LINE 20

/snark
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: side_show on August 18, 2004, 07:40:12 pm
For a second there I thought you wanted me to take 10 vitamin B's and then drink 20 cups of water.  

What is the syntax error, pray tell?
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: CortJstr on August 18, 2004, 08:18:25 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
What is the syntax error, pray tell?

Quote from: "arkabee"
20 keep drinking water until your pee stops being neon from the B Complex. then take more B Complex, and drink more water until your pee stops being noen
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: St_Zartan on August 18, 2004, 08:33:27 pm
(http://www.intvfunhouse.com/mattel/manual/tronmazeatron.jpg)

STACK COLLISION WITH HEAP IN LINE 30 (LINE WALKER)

B vitamins. Milk thistle. Plenty of water. A greasy stack of carbs (e.g. buttered toast, hash browns). If I'm really in a bad way, I go for all of the above plus something spicy - opens up the passages, brings on a good healthy sweat.

Fresh air. Go into a room where someone has been Sleeping It Off. It smells like the Devil's own breast milk.  Everything coming off of your body for a good while will be all stale and heavy and awful. So get plenty of air circulating but go really gradual on the lights.

Believe it or not, I advise to avoid caffeine and OTC painkillers. Caffeine does everything a mending body doesn't need, and there isn't a single painkiller I've heard of that doesn't cause x-tra damage to yonder scrubber organs.
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 19, 2004, 01:52:00 am
SYNTAX ERROR="NOEN"
Title: Hang Over Cures
Post by: arkabee on August 20, 2004, 01:31:13 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
For a second there I thought you wanted me to take 10 vitamin B's and then drink 20 cups of water.  

What is the syntax error, pray tell?


i think he was trying to say i mispelt a word.
Title: Re: Hang Over Cures
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 09, 2007, 02:12:16 am
Ever since seeing the movie "Factotum" (The best movie I have ever seen in my life, now taking first place atop Goodfellas [available at the itunes store for like $10]), I have found the best hangover ceremony to be adding a raw egg to a pint of beer. Wait till the yolk floats, down in one blast.
Title: Re: Hang Over Cures
Post by: linnea on September 09, 2007, 02:18:12 am
Ever since seeing the movie "Factotum" (The best movie I have ever seen in my life, now taking first place atop Goodfellas [available at the itunes store for like $10]), I have found the best hangover ceremony to be adding a raw egg to a pint of beer. Wait till the yolk floats, down in one blast.

There is balm in Gilead.
Title: Re: Hang Over Cures
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2007, 02:39:46 am
fuck*ng zombie thread.