The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: linnea on August 17, 2004, 06:40:47 am

Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: linnea on August 17, 2004, 06:40:47 am
I have talked to several dozen moving companies thus far, and all of them have so far said, "Elbonia? Elbonia? We dont' ship to the Aleutian Islands." Back to the drawing board, However, in research for finding someone to ship my belongings to Elbonia, I found this great site. Horizon Freight ships stuff from Tacoma, Washington, directly to Elbonia. Perfect!

And they link to a site, www.shipmystuff.com, as a private mover who can pack your stuff at your house (bonus! less work for me!) and then ship it anywhere!

So what happens when I talk to the dude from Shipmystuff.com?

Knob: "You would have to rent a full container which would be $8,600.00"

Me:

(http://home.comcast.net/~linnea78/images/horizon.gif)

Knob: Well, it doesn't matter what their website says. I just talked with them and you have to rent a forty foot container" [note: have you seen those CONNEX containers such as on a FREIGHT TRAIN? That is what Mr. Knob is referencing. My ex fiance used CONNEX containers to ship earthmovers and heavy equipment to fuck*ng Iraq.]

Me: *click*



YARRRRR.

Okay. Tomorrow I'm going to call the lovely folks at Horizon and see what they say. Perhaps I can just box my stuff up and ship it via UPS Freight to their port in Tacoma. For crying out loud, there has to be another way to do this.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: sailor on August 17, 2004, 08:08:52 am
What, no Wal-Mart in Elbonia? You can't just buy new stuff?
That is a shame to our Proud American Corporations.

Vote for Bush
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2004, 04:32:25 pm
Pointless aside: I use the same Firefox theme at work.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: jough on August 17, 2004, 05:20:46 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
What, no Wal-Mart in Elbonia? You can't just buy new stuff?
That is a shame to our Proud American Corporations.

Vote for Bush


Hi Sailor!

Your account will be suspended tomorrow as your e-mail address is inaccurate.

Please correct this to avoid the smackdown.

-- Dad.

P.S. This goes for the rest of you, too.  Make sure your board e-mail address is right, or your account will go bye-bye.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: wombat on August 17, 2004, 06:34:00 pm
The spouse (who follows your Alaska story jealously) asks: Could you have the stuff moved to someplace big, like Anchorage, and then have it moved the rest of the way by someone local?

Maybe by some friendly local bush pilot, he says, and I say, you're having Northern Exposure-addled brains, and then I am sucked in, considering maybe whether your friendly local bush pilot guy might be kind of cute, and after all you're unattached now...
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: CortJstr on August 17, 2004, 06:55:57 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Maybe by some friendly local bush pilot, he says, and I say, you're having Northern Exposure-addled brains, and then I am sucked in, considering maybe whether your friendly local bush pilot guy might be kind of cute, and after all you're unattached now...

Said cute pilot would certainly bear a curse causing all of his SO's to die in strange ways
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: slink on August 17, 2004, 07:40:50 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Said cute pilot would certainly bear a curse causing all of his SO's to die in strange ways


Rick didn't actually die though did he? He just ran like a girl when he had a scare was all. Though yes, that was why he ran.
I'll be quiet again now!
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 18, 2004, 02:29:35 am
One of the big perks of being a federal employee (aside from the incredible pay and the fame) is that 10 guys came, packed my stuff, put it in a huge sea-land container, shipped it to Hawaii along with my truck, and if I'm still a Federal Employee at the end of it all, they'll come back and do it again. And pay for my food and hotel for sixty days while I look for a place to live.

I suggest putting all your stuff in storage, moving there, and if you like it enough to stay there six months from now, THEN making the huge investment. Seriously, if it's going to cost you >10K to move OFF the island, you'll pretty much be a prisoner there. I'd test the waters first.

Our move cost >$15,000 US taxpayer dollars, and the return trip will cost more because there will be more of us. Thanks to all you good citizens for underwriting my adventures in paradise.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: AugustWest on August 18, 2004, 02:49:36 am
DAMN!  I gotta get out of this State Government racket and jump to the Feds.  So tell me, does the Federal Government hire any lawyers?
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: linnea on August 18, 2004, 03:25:50 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
One of the big perks of being a federal employee (aside from the incredible pay and the fame) is that 10 guys came, packed my stuff, put it in a huge sea-land container, shipped it to Hawaii along with my truck, and if I'm still a Federal Employee at the end of it all, they'll come back and do it again. And pay for my food and hotel for sixty days while I look for a place to live.

I suggest putting all your stuff in storage, moving there, and if you like it enough to stay there six months from now, THEN making the huge investment. Seriously, if it's going to cost you >10K to move OFF the island, you'll pretty much be a prisoner there. I'd test the waters first.

Our move cost >$15,000 US taxpayer dollars, and the return trip will cost more because there will be more of us. Thanks to all you good citizens for underwriting my adventures in paradise.


There is no way in hell that someone in my situation would have the money to move to Alaska. I've been out of work for about ten weeks now and my savings are depleted. Oh no, they are PAYING for my move.

As a city employee, I get a small stipend ($3,500) to move. I've gotten one quote from a shipping company thus far for $3,300.00 (I pack everything, then they come to my apartment and load all my boxes and load and pad all my furniture for the journey). Then the container disappears and reappears in Elbonia.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: jough on August 18, 2004, 03:52:31 am
Dude, it's a frikkin' island.  Carribou, as awesome as they are, will not carry pack across the sea.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: linnea on August 18, 2004, 04:05:11 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
To be a little more constructive than my last post: I'm assuming that everyone out there isn't a local.  Have you asked for a little direction from your contacts on site how other folks reach this place?

And don't let them pull your leg about pack bearing caribou...


Yeah, maybe I can get some of the three million bald eagles on the island to pay some fuck*ng rent and fly in my stuff.

In all seriousness, I've gotten names of moving companies and I'm getting shit taken care of. I'm waiting for one more quote before I go ahead with the $3,300 quote that I received.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: AugustWest on August 18, 2004, 04:15:39 am
Quote from: "jough"
Dude, it's a frikkin' island.  Carribou, as awesome as they are, will not carry pack across the sea.


What about Amphibious Caribou?  Huh?  What about THEM Mr. Smarty-Jough?
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: jough on August 18, 2004, 04:17:00 am
I concede to the man who won on Jeopardy.

Speaking of, have they coughed up your winnings yet?  I'd imagine they did, but that tip jar is just getting dusty.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: AugustWest on August 18, 2004, 04:26:37 am
No they haven't.  I expect them next week.  And my but you're a subtle chap, aren't you?
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: jough on August 18, 2004, 07:05:31 am
I've tried subtlety, but subtlety don't get me PAID, beyotchhhhhh.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 18, 2004, 07:17:16 am
Quote from: "linnea"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
One of the big perks of being a federal employee (aside from the incredible pay and the fame) is that 10 guys came, packed my stuff, put it in a huge sea-land container, shipped it to Hawaii along with my truck, and if I'm still a Federal Employee at the end of it all, they'll come back and do it again. And pay for my food and hotel for sixty days while I look for a place to live.

I suggest putting all your stuff in storage, moving there, and if you like it enough to stay there six months from now, THEN making the huge investment. Seriously, if it's going to cost you >10K to move OFF the island, you'll pretty much be a prisoner there. I'd test the waters first.

Our move cost >$15,000 US taxpayer dollars, and the return trip will cost more because there will be more of us. Thanks to all you good citizens for underwriting my adventures in paradise.


There is no way in hell that someone in my situation would have the money to move to Alaska. I've been out of work for about ten weeks now and my savings are depleted. Oh no, they are PAYING for my move.

As a city employee, I get a small stipend ($3,500) to move. I've gotten one quote from a shipping company thus far for $3,300.00 (I pack everything, then they come to my apartment and load all my boxes and load and pad all my furniture for the journey). Then the container disappears and reappears in Elbonia.


Yes, indeed, but they won't pay you to get off the island. That is an important possibility to consider. I'm just sayin' is all.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: linnea on August 18, 2004, 08:30:59 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Yes, indeed, but they won't pay you to get off the island. That is an important possibility to consider. I'm just sayin' is all.


You are 100% correct, sir. That worries me a little bit, but the lure of cash money is stronger to a person who has been unemployed for a long time. I am consoling myself with the thought that if push comes to shove, I can sell all I own and get the fuck out of Dodge with just me and "the boys" (my cats, Milan and Lennybruce).

However, that is the worst-case scenario. I am planning to live there for 2 or 3 years (hopefully more), chilling and having fun and learning a lot while paying down my debts and saving lots and lots of money. I will get some valuable job skills, and work hard to benefit the city until I get another offer to relocate elsewhere. It is a win-win situation for me and for the folks that I will be working for.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 18, 2004, 06:18:46 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
DAMN!  I gotta get out of this State Government racket and jump to the Feds.  So tell me, does the Federal Government hire any lawyers?


Hells yeah.  You could get a job with DoD easy.  Make good scratch and not work ridiculous hours.  

Following AlohaDawg's lead:  Your tax dollars paid for my MBA.  w00t!
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 18, 2004, 07:25:55 pm
My MPH, too, once I finish the frigging thing.
Title: I fuck*ng hate moving companies
Post by: side_show on August 18, 2004, 08:03:06 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
My MPH, too, once I finish the frigging thing.


You're working toward your MPH?  How cool is that?!  Do you write a thesis or something?  What does it entail?

Also, linnea, I gotta second the motion to put your stuff in storage.  When the old sibling moved to Nunvut she too had them paying to move her out but not back, so took only things she didn't mind leaving there and made a killing selling her "imported" stuff to the locals when she did leave.  Even though she knew she'd only be back in a year or two it turned out to be way cheeper than moving it all back.