The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jay-ell on August 08, 2003, 03:16:20 pm

Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: jay-ell on August 08, 2003, 03:16:20 pm
After much careful deliberation*, I have selected the new moderators for the non-Achewood forums.  Many applied; few were chosen.  (Well, actually, everyone who applied was chosen.)  Along with the right and priveleges afforded to moderators, I have also bestowed upon these six individuals a special rank of my own choosing.  And now, without further ado, the moderators for The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board shall be:

For his wide and varied interests, depth of musical experience, and for being an all-around pleasant bloke, the forum of Sounds goes to Slink, our very own Agent of the British Invasion.  

For his impeccably good taste, his committment to popular culture, and the fact that he really, really wants to impress this girl at work, the forum of Sights goes to Pubdoggy, A Sight for Sore Eyes.  

For her astonishing level of food geekiness, her vast experience with distinctively Achewoodian recipes, and her penchant for getting drunk before 9 AM, the forum of Tastes goes to Wombat: The Naked Chef.  

Because nobody else wanted it, the forum of Smells goes to Choopernickel, The Nose who Knows.  

For his brilliant and faithful service heretofore, and because he is quite possibly a bigger geek than any of the other applicants, the forum of Touches goes to CortJstr, the Merry Fool.  

And finally, for his extraordinary patience, his amazingly variegated quilt of experience, and for showing us that it is, in fact, cool to stay in school, the hotly-contested forum of Thoughts goes to AugustWest, the Legal Eagle Scout.  

New ranks and permissions will be set accordingly.  Let's all congratulate the new mods...I know you'll give them all the respect and adulation they deserve.  

*I got drunk and picked names out of a hat

[Edited because Wombat is a lady]
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: jay-ell on August 08, 2003, 03:25:00 pm
Also, before anyone asks, I've decided to leave the Lileks and Other Comics forums vacant for the time being; we'll add mods there as needed.
Title: Re: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: CortJstr on August 08, 2003, 04:35:26 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
For his brilliant and faithful service heretofore, and because he is quite possibly a bigger geek than any of the other applicants, the forum of Touches goes to CortJstr, the Merry Fool.


::performs the least rhythmic Cabbage Patch in human history::
Title: Re: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: slink on August 08, 2003, 06:58:18 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

For his wide and varied interests, depth of musical experience, and for being an all-around pleasant bloke, the forum of Sounds goes to Slink, our very own Agent of the British Invasion.  


::is flattered:: I think that comment just made my day :)

Congrats to all the other guys (and gals?).
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: CortJstr on August 08, 2003, 07:22:53 pm
The problem is that we were relying in slink to show us what the new ranks would be. Now we have to wait for those slacky people who aren't even up to Chucklebot yet.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2003, 07:26:45 pm
I'd noticed the whole "all the big posters in line for new titles now have custom ones" problem. It's put the science of guessing new titles back twenty years! ... well, more like two or three days, I guess, depending on posting density. Ah well.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: jough on August 08, 2003, 07:32:25 pm
You know, the user ranks aren't exactly secret... you can find them if you look...
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 07:40:38 pm
w00t!

Man, did I BS my way through that interview! Phew!

Wait. "The Nose that Knows?" Crumbs, chief.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: AugustWest on August 08, 2003, 07:51:47 pm
I'd like to thank the academy and all the little people.

You see, with their tinyness, they can sneak into places and get stuff on your enemies.  You gotta watch out for them little people.  But they'll give you a kidney if they like you.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: jay-ell on August 08, 2003, 08:13:35 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"

Wait. "The Nose that Knows?" Crumbs, chief.


It was the more polite of the smell-related nicknames that came into my head...if you have a preferred choice, let me know.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 09:27:47 pm
Heh. How about "eeeww" or "Mows His Nose Hairs" or "Depardieu""Gonzo"?


edit: tags, damnit!
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: wombat on August 08, 2003, 09:34:29 pm
I'm honored and terrified, and also by the way, a "she".

Well, now what the heck do we do?
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: jay-ell on August 08, 2003, 09:44:59 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm honored and terrified, and also by the way, a "she".

Well, now what the heck do we do?


Augh!  I'm mortified.  I think I might have know that at one point...but I can't be sure.  

Mod your little hearts out.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: slink on August 08, 2003, 09:53:11 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

Mod your little hearts out.


Then someone tell someone to go be an asshole in my forum! Bastards the lot of them, all well behaved and considerate! Ugh!
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: jough on August 08, 2003, 09:54:26 pm
Well, the mods should post and reply to posts in their forum, at least glance through all of the threads and posts (this shouldn't be difficult) and make sure people are playing nice.  Issue warnings, offer gentle guidance, lock threads that go too far out of field, etc.

I think the general guideline would be to not delete posts - just post a follow-up.  If you think a post MUST be deleted, PM me or JLD about it and we'll take a look.

Um... I don't know.  It's a pretty easy job and people will fear and/or respect you for it.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: Choop on August 08, 2003, 10:06:54 pm
Wasn't there a mods-only forum for a day or two a while back? That might be nice to have again, if only for discussion of PR1X0R5 that must be deleted, and other administrative sundry.

I'm not saying we'd have to make fun of the non-mod posters, but it might happen every once-in-a-while.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: jough on August 08, 2003, 11:13:11 pm
There is a mods-only forum, but only mods can see it.

It's hidden.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: wombat on August 09, 2003, 12:28:05 am
Um, er, so even mods have to figure out the hidden place where only they can see it?

Or is this is another poetic metaphor of Jough's that I don't get?
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: jough on August 09, 2003, 12:36:08 am
Do you not see three forum sections in the "Board Stiff" area?

There's a forum called "The Mod Squad" (cutely named by JLD) that only shows up for mods.

If you can't see it, then something's wrong.

Let me know.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I see the problem.  I think I fixed it now.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: CortJstr on August 09, 2003, 04:11:55 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"

Wait. "The Nose that Knows?" Crumbs, chief.

It was the more polite of the smell-related nicknames that came into my head...if you have a preferred choice, let me know.


"Heaven Nose"?
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: Nabubrush on August 10, 2003, 02:45:44 am
Congrats, all.
Title: New Mods Appointed!
Post by: pubdoggy on August 10, 2003, 10:49:03 am
Yeeeeahhh. THERE WAS NO GIRL AT WORK! I totally blagged it. I also know this is no achievement whatsoever as everyone who applied was picked. The joke is on me.

Ooh - watch this space for new emoticons.

Well done nerds!