The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: TALKYdude on August 18, 2004, 08:28:17 pm

Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: TALKYdude on August 18, 2004, 08:28:17 pm
How does one say Philippe? I've been saying "Fileepay", as if it was Spanish, but suddenly wondered if it was "Fileep" as if it was French.
...for that matter, "jough". Is that pronounced like "joff" or like "joe"?
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 18, 2004, 08:36:21 pm
Note that Ultra Peanut says "FeeReep." (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11012002)  I take that as support for his name being pronounced "Phil-EEP," the French way.

I've always assumed "Jough" rhymes with "cough," but I suppose the man himself will be along to clarify.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: St_Zartan on August 18, 2004, 08:37:58 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I've always assumed "Jough" rhymes with "cough," but I suppose the man himself will be along to clarify.


If memory serves, he's made something of a point of pride out of ambiguity on this.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: Ben-San on August 18, 2004, 08:44:45 pm
I mentally pronounce it "Jow", rhyming with "plough".
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: TALKYdude on August 18, 2004, 09:02:33 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Note that Ultra Peanut says "FeeReep." (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11012002)  I take that as support for his name being pronounced "Phil-EEP," the French way.

Very nice. So French it is...I assumed "joff" also. I like Ben-San's "Jow" theory as well.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: AugustWest on August 18, 2004, 09:10:27 pm
I just call Jough by his last name, "Dempsey", which is pronounced "He Who Has An Extremely Large c*ck".

And I say Phil - Leep.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: CortJstr on August 18, 2004, 09:59:19 pm
http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=170

I'm almost positive Chris once said that "fil-eep" is correct in an interview but Google has failed me!
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: jough on August 18, 2004, 10:15:02 pm
Jough is pronounced like the -ough sound in the following:

Tough Jough coughs and hiccoughs as he ploughs through the dough.


HINT: Each of those words has a DIFFERENT pronunciation.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: slink on August 19, 2004, 12:21:49 am
Quote from: "jough"

Tough Jough coughs and hiccoughs as he ploughs through the dough.


Oh you are a frightful tease.

I circulate how I pronounce your name when I read it, just in honour.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: V-Adore on August 19, 2004, 12:33:50 am
I have always mentally pronounced "jough" to rhyme with "dough," but I am a Philistine of the highest order.

And yes, AFAIK "Philippe" is "Phil-eep," but just say it any way you want and the good lord will provide.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: Bozack on August 19, 2004, 12:28:22 pm
Wow. Am I the only one who says "Jough" as "Jew"?
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: andalucia on August 19, 2004, 01:20:14 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I have always mentally pronounced "jough" to rhyme with "dough," but I am a Philistine of the highest order.

And yes, AFAIK "Philippe" is "Phil-eep," but just say it any way you want and the good lord will provide.


Agreed on both points, as I'd always assumed "Jough" was the thinking man's "Joe", and as for the Philippe issue, I'm obviously just too damn French for my own good.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: palm trees on August 19, 2004, 08:15:23 pm
fill eep and joff.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: TALKYdude on August 19, 2004, 08:19:20 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Wow. Am I the only one who says "Jough" as "Jew"?

Not any more.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: TALKYdude on August 19, 2004, 08:25:16 pm
It's so strange to think of Fileep now because in the Achewood compartment of my memory he's always been Fileepay.
Quote from: "Philippe"
"Lie Bot, what is the saddest thing"

Quote from: "Lie Bot"
Fileepay, Fileepay, Fileepay

Now I have to wipe three of those syllables out. Because of a problem?
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: doomglobe on August 19, 2004, 08:28:16 pm
fuh - leep. that is what onstad used to say when he ran the forums. this thread used to crop up in a new form every month or so.
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: TALKYdude on August 19, 2004, 08:49:37 pm
I kind of want to read the old boards. Are they gone forever or is there an archive someplace? Or a best-of?
Title: Ah cain't pernounce nuthin' raht.
Post by: doomglobe on August 20, 2004, 06:16:57 pm
all I know about is what is left (the very last page of achewood boards)
http://www.dumbrella.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=17&submit=Go
send a pm to rstevens, if you are really keen on reading them, he will probably help you out (he is the guy who owns the server, I think, also the creator of DS)
most of what is left is just bs topics people posted because someone left the 'post poll' option on.