The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: starlight on August 20, 2004, 10:12:25 am

Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: starlight on August 20, 2004, 10:12:25 am
Wow... I... have no words... beyond that that's a bit trippy, yo.
Title: If this is real...
Post by: sensate on August 20, 2004, 11:49:05 am
...I wonder what a blog post from Hell would be like?
Title: Re: If this is real...
Post by: Gimpson on August 20, 2004, 12:15:52 pm
Quote from: "sensate"
...I wonder what a blog post from Hell would be like?


I think that's where comment spam comes from.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: CortJstr on August 20, 2004, 01:08:11 pm
Too bad this didn't go up last Friday
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: agnes on August 20, 2004, 02:56:32 pm
I think it's that first frame of the outside of the house that makes the strip. A quiet, serene external shot before the arrival of Fireball Ray. Also: "splut."
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: CortJstr on August 20, 2004, 04:29:04 pm
Quote from: "agnes"
I think it's that first frame of the outside of the house that makes the strip. A quiet, serene external shot before the arrival of Fireball Ray. Also: "splut."

Fireball Ray is his new racing name. Kind of like Jesse James is Way Fast Whitey.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: Limmo on August 20, 2004, 04:45:28 pm
I dunno, that was more of a Slayer Friday.
Title: Re: If this is real...
Post by: doomglobe on August 20, 2004, 04:58:53 pm
Quote from: "sensate"
...I wonder what a blog post from Hell would be like?


It would probably be kind of like a telephone call, just nothing you say gets through, and the person on the other end just sees something sort of innocent looking, but it makes them do something that makes your experience in hell just a little bit worser.

I think perhaps that I will not stray to far from home, seeing as how it is judas priest friday and all. One should be careful on a judas priest friday. :twisted:
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: palm trees on August 20, 2004, 06:15:43 pm
best strip in ages.

and that's no faint praise, i've been loving it recently.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: slink on August 20, 2004, 06:24:06 pm
I wish I had seen this in the morning, but alas I usually have to wait until about 3 before it is updated.
But to have spent my dady seeing people being stabbed in the head and catching fire would have been nice.

Kill Bill is a fitting Judas Priest Friday movie though. Maybe not enough zombie vampire monks but well...
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: V-Adore on August 20, 2004, 07:13:59 pm
This is really a very, very strange strip. I guess I like it? But I'm not sure.

Also, it is very strange to read Ray's totally calm blog after seeing him get stabbed in the head by the Ghostface Killer (*splut*), catch on fire, and be thrown out a window.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: sailor on August 20, 2004, 07:15:28 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "agnes"
I think it's that first frame of the outside of the house that makes the strip. A quiet, serene external shot before the arrival of Fireball Ray. Also: "splut."

Fireball Ray is his new racing name. Kind of like Jesse James is Way Fast Whitey.


Cj did not cj anges's misconception. But i'm too lazy to cj anything. Not on JUDAS PRIEST FRIDAY.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: side_show on August 20, 2004, 07:16:51 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This is really a very, very strange strip. I guess I like it? But I'm not sure.

Also, it is very strange to read Ray's totally calm blog after seeing him get stabbed in the head by the Ghostface Killer (*splut*), catch on fire, and be thrown out a window.


Indeed.  I take this to be one of those strips that never really happened, and will never be gone back on for future refference.  But who knows, maybe Monday Phillipe will be knifed in the stomach, his entrails used as streamers.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: V-Adore on August 20, 2004, 07:20:12 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This is really a very, very strange strip. I guess I like it? But I'm not sure.

Also, it is very strange to read Ray's totally calm blog after seeing him get stabbed in the head by the Ghostface Killer (*splut*), catch on fire, and be thrown out a window.


Indeed.  I take this to be one of those strips that never really happened, and will never be gone back on for future refference.  But who knows, maybe Monday Phillipe will be knifed in the stomach, his entrails used as streamers.

Yeah, I'm assuming as much too. If this isn't a one-off, I will eat my hat.

What's really starting to get to me -- how did he catch on fire? Did Ol' Ghostface light him up? I had initially assumed that there was some sort of causal relationship between his dropping the pizza and his going up in flames, but let's be honest, on the rare occasions I have been forced to have Domino's delivered, the pizza has never arrived in a state of warmth which would cause even mild irritation if dropped onto oneself.

(... that sounded a little Pat-esque, didn't it? Sigh.)
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: andalucia on August 20, 2004, 07:41:37 pm
Man, I wish this strip had gone up yesterday- it would have been a pretty good Judas Priest Thursday, since I was all seeing bad local metal bands playing in a curling club and hopping fences and sitting in people's gazebos drinking cheap beer with my friends.
Nevertheless, I enjoy it a lot.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: Gimpson on August 20, 2004, 07:52:39 pm
How can I identify a Judas Priest Friday so as to prepare myself?  Is it any Friday the 20th?  The third Friday in any month?  I'm confused.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 20, 2004, 08:12:19 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
How can I identify a Judas Priest Friday so as to prepare myself?  Is it any Friday the 20th?  The third Friday in any month?  I'm confused.


You have to order a Domino's Pizza to find out.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: CortJstr on August 20, 2004, 08:21:12 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "agnes"
I think it's that first frame of the outside of the house that makes the strip. A quiet, serene external shot before the arrival of Fireball Ray. Also: "splut."

Fireball Ray is his new racing name. Kind of like Jesse James is Way Fast Whitey.

Cj did not cj anges's misconception. But i'm too lazy to cj anything. Not on JUDAS PRIEST FRIDAY.

See I read the line as "I think it's that first frame of the outside of the house that is most entertaining." As opposed to "I think it's that first frame of the outside of the house that was ever shown in a strip."

Quote from: "V-Adore"
What's really starting to get to me -- how did he catch on fire? Did Ol' Ghostface light him up? I had initially assumed that there was some sort of causal relationship between his dropping the pizza and his going up in flames, but let's be honest, on the rare occasions I have been forced to have Domino's delivered, the pizza has never arrived in a state of warmth which would cause even mild irritation if dropped onto oneself.

Have you ever had a pentagram Domino's pizza, though?
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: V-Adore on August 20, 2004, 08:25:52 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
What's really starting to get to me -- how did he catch on fire? Did Ol' Ghostface light him up? I had initially assumed that there was some sort of causal relationship between his dropping the pizza and his going up in flames, but let's be honest, on the rare occasions I have been forced to have Domino's delivered, the pizza has never arrived in a state of warmth which would cause even mild irritation if dropped onto oneself.

Have you ever had a pentagram Domino's pizza, though?

Admittedly, no, I have not. But I would not personally picture an evil Domino's pizza arriving flaming, or even hot. I think of it more as being able to induce frostbite (and possibly skin-stickage) on touch.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: agnes on August 20, 2004, 08:43:19 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
See I read the line as "I think it's that first frame of the outside of the house that is most entertaining." As opposed to "I think it's that first frame of the outside of the house that was ever shown in a strip."


Heavens I certainly did not mean to imply that that was the first time the outside of the house was shown. I did not how you say just fall out of the retard truck, if that is what you are sayink.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AugustWest on August 20, 2004, 08:59:42 pm
Quote from: "agnes"
...the retard truck...


I think the PC term is "Short Bus".
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: St_Zartan on August 20, 2004, 09:15:13 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "agnes"
...the retard truck...


I think the PC term is "Short Bus".


The twenty-first century, 1337x0rer-than-thou alternative...

(http://www.imgcoach.com/busimages_logos/1.jpg)

All aboard who's coming aboard
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: wombat on August 20, 2004, 09:21:16 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I was all seeing bad local metal bands playing in a curling club


A curling club?  That would be strange enough but...

With metal bands?
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: andalucia on August 21, 2004, 06:36:04 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
God Bless the fifty-first state and their quaint ways...

[splut!]


Exactly; I considered it "getting a little local culture", since I move to Montreal on Monday.  Which is still technically Canada, but legend has it that it's actually a large and fairly cultured urban centre rather different from the wastelands of Southern Ontario.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: wombat on August 21, 2004, 07:32:15 pm
This strip wasn't funny to me until I read (the non-wandering parts of) this thread a few times.  And I'm still astonished by the curling club.  Thank you all for your continuing enrichment of my mental life.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: V-Adore on August 21, 2004, 09:03:11 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
This strip wasn't funny to me until I read (the non-wandering parts of) this thread a few times.  And I'm still astonished by the curling club.  Thank you all for your continuing enrichment of my mental life.

Man, this is actually a nostalgia thing for me. Back when I was a wee one, my dad used to curl at the Fairbanks Curling Club. I recall it being smoky and remarkably dank for a building housing what was essentially a giant ice rink, but I thought it and curling were both very rad.

I'm not sure what bad metal bands have to do with it, though. Nostalgia is a strange mistress.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: side_show on August 22, 2004, 01:32:30 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I move to Montreal on Monday.  Which is still technically Canada, but legend has it that it's actually a large and fairly cultured urban centre rather different from the wastelands of Southern Ontario.


When I was planning a trip to Montreal, I gave a call to a friend who had just returned from there.  He warned me to pack my best clothes:  "Even the bums have more style there" he said.  

Happy Moving andalucia, and perhaps consider changing your avatar to a big, steaming plate of poutine!  Mmm... poutine.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: Mantonio on August 22, 2004, 04:32:18 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "agnes"
...the retard truck...


I think the PC term is "Short Bus".


The twenty-first century, 1337x0rer-than-thou alternative...

(http://www.imgcoach.com/busimages_logos/1.jpg)

All aboard who's coming aboard


Speaking of short busses, what's wrong with this picture?:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/thebandito73/hpbimg/schoolbuss%5B1%5D.jpg
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: doomglobe on August 22, 2004, 11:49:01 am
Quote from: "Mantonio"


Speaking of short busses, what's wrong with this picture?:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/thebandito73/hpbimg/schoolbuss%5B1%5D.jpg


1) the licence plates are all written in greek lettering.
2) the 'child actors' in the building behind the schoolbus all have mustaches, even the girls.
3) gas is not that cheap anywhere except for texas.
4) one of the bats is upside down.
5) there is no neon at all in the sex shop ad.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: TALKYdude on August 23, 2004, 06:50:49 pm
I call the middle slice!
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: linnea on August 23, 2004, 07:52:33 pm
Quote from: "side_show"

Happy Moving andalucia, and perhaps consider changing your avatar to a big, steaming plate of poutine!  Mmm... poutine.


Hurrah for moving! Best of luck to you, andalucia.

And dang, what is WITH you Canadians and your food? Poutine? What the hell, yo? French fries with gravy sounds like a heart attack in a paper boat. Butter tarts? I just don't get any of it. Maybe I'm just a picky eater. At any rate, God Bless Canada.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: CortJstr on August 23, 2004, 08:49:59 pm
Quote from: "linnea"
What the hell, yo? French fries with gravy sounds like a heart attack in a paper boat.

I thought this was a school cafeteria staple. My HS always had gravy fries as the side when serving open-faced roast beef sandwiches. And cheese fries with hot dogs.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: side_show on August 23, 2004, 09:05:20 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "linnea"
What the hell, yo? French fries with gravy sounds like a heart attack in a paper boat.

I thought this was a school cafeteria staple. My HS always had gravy fries as the side when serving open-faced roast beef sandwiches. And cheese fries with hot dogs.


In two official languages:

Poutine est les frites avec fromage caillé et sauce de boeuf.

Poutine is fries with cheese curds and beef gravy.

And infact I'm all about having that for dinner, now that you mention it.  You can actually hear your heart crying when you order this, and it's a staple at Canadian Burger Kings and KFC's and is offered off and on at McDonalds all over Canada, and is a perminat menu item in Qubec all the time.  I guess I sort of took for granted that our chainfood restaurants served the same thing in the US, but really, I guess poutine is just Canadian.  I like to eat it dipped in mayonaise.  I'm not kidding.  I wish I were.  Other popular French Canadian foods:  Tortier (a ground up spiced pork meat pie - a French Canadian dish, usually sooo greasy the crust is soggy) and Les Gallet - aka Fry Bread, aka Fried Bannock - if you want to be real authentic this is served with Saskatoon Berry or Chokecherry Jam.  God, I'm so hungry now.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: wombat on August 23, 2004, 10:16:04 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
 I like to eat [poutine] dipped in mayonaise.  I'm not kidding.  I wish I were.


Oh my Lord.  Or, should I say, lard.  Goodness gracious.  Mercy.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: slink on August 23, 2004, 10:31:00 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I like to eat it dipped in mayonaise.


If I didn't think poutine was evil I no doubt would. I eat pretty much everything with mayonnaise. The best - pepperoni pizza dipped in mayonnaise - what God invented the universe for... And yes I am hungry now.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: andalucia on August 23, 2004, 10:37:17 pm
Well, I'm now in Montreal, which is beautiful, terrifing, and much more French than I'd expected.  The first thing I did was get my computer hooked up, and now I'm just trying to get my nice old B&W speakers working so I can listen to music.  
As for poutine, I must say I've never indulged: I find the idea as horrifying as do the Americans here, and I'm vegan as well.  But side_show's right about its ubiquity: enough so that horrible variations, such as Family-Sized Poutine and Hot-dog Poutine flourish.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 24, 2004, 12:02:25 am
I don't see why anyone would eat cheese turds. At any time. The whole Poutine thing sounds pretty gross, but then, I've eaten Loco Moco as I mentioned before, so hey. Enjoy.

As for the wet fries - gravy on fries is time honored and awesome, and definitely as American as the fries themselves.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: linnea on August 24, 2004, 01:16:54 am
A Canadian friend of mine said that Poutine is traditionally made with lard and gravy over the fries, but that cheese curds or even mozzerella is often substituted.

I am down with cheese curds, however. They are damn tasty. To me, french fries seem pretty dang decadent in and of themselves. Covering them with cheese or some other delicious substance seems like... I don't know, like drinking a breve latte. TOO RICH AND DECADENT! Somebody nice MUST NOT CONSUME THAT ITEM!!
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AugustWest on August 24, 2004, 01:18:14 am
Quote from: "slink"
The best - pepperoni pizza dipped in mayonnaise


HOLY CRAP!  I'm just overwhelmed by the thought of that.

I am a big mayo fan.  Homemade mayo especially.  My Grandmother used to make KickASS homemade mayonnaise with just the right touch of cayenne in it.

But on pizza?  Pepperoni?  

I'm going to have trouble sleeping tonight.  I think I've got contact indigestion.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AugustWest on August 24, 2004, 01:20:54 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
As for the wet fries - gravy on fries is time honored and awesome, and definitely as American as the fries themselves.


Not where I'm from.  Never seen it, never heard of it.  Must be some kind of damn yankee nonsense.

White gravy goes on biscuits.  Turkey gravy goes on stuffing, mashed potatoes and turkey.  Beef gravy goes on an open-faced roast-beef sandwich with mashed potatoes on it.

That is all.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 24, 2004, 01:33:55 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
As for the wet fries - gravy on fries is time honored and awesome, and definitely as American as the fries themselves.


Not where I'm from.  Never seen it, never heard of it.  Must be some kind of damn yankee nonsense.

White gravy goes on biscuits.  Turkey gravy goes on stuffing, mashed potatoes and turkey.  Beef gravy goes on an open-faced roast-beef sandwich with mashed potatoes on it.

That is all.


How could you not recognize red-eye gravy? It should stand tall with the rest of the drippings-based products you mention.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AugustWest on August 24, 2004, 01:36:15 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
As for the wet fries - gravy on fries is time honored and awesome, and definitely as American as the fries themselves.


Not where I'm from.  Never seen it, never heard of it.  Must be some kind of damn yankee nonsense.

White gravy goes on biscuits.  Turkey gravy goes on stuffing, mashed potatoes and turkey.  Beef gravy goes on an open-faced roast-beef sandwich with mashed potatoes on it.

That is all.


How could you not recognize red-eye gravy? It should stand tall with the rest of the drippings-based products you mention.


Yeah, OK.  It's pretty rare around here, though.  Maybe it's more of a western thing.  I think it's role is pretty much taken by white sausage gravy around here.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 24, 2004, 01:37:29 am
Grandpa Jones' ghost is a comin' to get you.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: CortJstr on August 24, 2004, 02:08:00 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
White gravy goes on biscuits.  Turkey gravy goes on stuffing, mashed potatoes and turkey.  Beef gravy goes on an open-faced roast-beef sandwich with mashed potatoes on it.

bis-cu-its? Like those things they give you free at Popeye's but everybody just throws away?
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: linnea on August 24, 2004, 03:15:57 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

How could you not recognize red-eye gravy? It should stand tall with the rest of the drippings-based products you mention.



...

What the FUCK is "red-eye gravy"? That sounds like the title for a German poo flick.  :censored:
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: St_Zartan on August 24, 2004, 03:39:31 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
bis-cu-its? Like those things they give you free at Popeye's but everybody just throws away?


Quote from: "linnea"
What the FUCK is "red-eye gravy"? That sounds like the title for a German poo flick.


Son, biscuits and gravy made right is a meal. And darlin', the only Scheiße in the hizzle is the stone cold Southern-fried science I am about to drop on your ass.

Look, apart from a short stint in Australia, I'm a Texas boy. Say what you will about Texas - hell, I'll probably agree with you nine times out of ten. But Southern food kicks your ass. Of course, now that I am no longer Young, with the attendant Weasel-esque metabolism, I can't indulge myself in the family recipes as often as I'd like, but still. Memories have flavors.

Red-eye gravy is gravy made from ham drippings and coffee. It's what's for breakfast. Please tell me I don't have to evangelize grits to anyone; I lack the words.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: St_Zartan on August 24, 2004, 03:41:58 am
I would also like to add that I have never heard of poutine, but it sounds like a meal after my Own Heart (har har) and I intend to make it just as soon as I've got my shit together enough to actually hunt down some Cheese Curds. I mean I could have them flown in, but the hell--?
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: TALKYdude on August 24, 2004, 04:02:07 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
White gravy goes on biscuits.  Turkey gravy goes on stuffing, mashed potatoes and turkey.  Beef gravy goes on an open-faced roast-beef sandwich with mashed potatoes on it.

bis-cu-its? Like those things they give you free at Popeye's but everybody just throws away?
Oh no! That's the only reason I ever even eat at Popeye's, because I'm craving a biscuit. People throw them away?!
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AugustWest on August 24, 2004, 04:15:41 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Please tell me I don't have to evangelize grits to anyone; I lack the words.


Don't you find it odd that foodies who would rhapsodize about couscous will turn their noses up at grits?
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: St_Zartan on August 24, 2004, 04:23:29 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Please tell me I don't have to evangelize grits to anyone; I lack the words.


Don't you find it odd that foodies who would rhapsodize about couscous will turn their noses up at grits?


Some to think of it, I've never had garlic grits...

In a perfect world, grits would be on every breakfast menu, everywhere. So versatile and delicious. And yet, try to explain what grits are to someone that has neither seen nor tasted them. And try to make that explanation do its subject justice.

Some people have actually assumed that I was actually proposing that we eat and enjoy cornbread mix and water.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: V-Adore on August 24, 2004, 05:17:16 am
The thought of people throwing away the biscuits that come with fast-food fried chicken saddens my heart. I am a Yankee to the bone and am still unsure how to approach Popeye's, but those biscuits were often the best part of a KFC meal. Hot damn, now I'm hungry.

As for grits... my problem is that I'm very texture-focused in food, so I'm really still working up the courage to try grits. The SO is a big fan and is from Boston, but he will basically eat anything and enjoy it, up to and including that vile "Naturally Aloe!" chunky beverage that they sell/used to sell at Trader Joe's. (Come to think of it, he's the one who introduced me to couscous, too...)
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: TALKYdude on August 24, 2004, 09:40:34 am
Oh, I've never had that naturally aloe drink from trader joe's, but I have had an aloe drink in a can from a thai restaurant. The texture was awful! These weird glops slithering down the gullet.
Slimy green splooge, man.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: wombat on August 24, 2004, 11:28:59 am
It's been a long time since I handed out a Most Wandering Thread Award.  This one is really gold medal quality.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: side_show on August 24, 2004, 02:00:01 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I was in Canada, I love gravy and have terrified Spouse with tales of cheese curds.

HOW IN HOLY HELL DID I MISS THIS!?!?!?!!!!

Calgary, you have finally let me down.  Bitch.


Dude, I told you before, Calgary is the asshole of Canada!

And Slink, mayonaise on pizza sounds really, alarmingly good.  I'm all about the mayonaise.  Many feel that it is a "pedestrian" condiment, but for me it is the king/queen.

Quote from: "wombat "
It's been a long time since I handed out a Most Wandering Thread Award. This one is really gold medal quality.


And it's all my fault, woo hoo!  Canada wins another gold!
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: Va on August 24, 2004, 02:35:08 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I'm all about the mayonaise. Many feel that it is a "pedestrian" condiment, but for me it is the king/queen.


Didja know it's actually really, really easy to make homemade mayonnaise, and that it tastes really amazingly better than the jarred stuff?  Last time I made mayo, it was with balsalmic vinegar, olive oil and rosemary.  Then I used it to make chicken salad.  Oh man, was that ever good.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: side_show on August 24, 2004, 02:47:01 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "side_show"
I'm all about the mayonaise. Many feel that it is a "pedestrian" condiment, but for me it is the king/queen.


Didja know it's actually really, really easy to make homemade mayonnaise, and that it tastes really amazingly better than the jarred stuff?  Last time I made mayo, it was with balsalmic vinegar, olive oil and rosemary.  Then I used it to make chicken salad.  Oh man, was that ever good.


I tried to make mayonaise, but it ended up as liquid with lumps - it tasted okay, and I used it as salade dressing, but the texture was just barfey.  I don't have the patience to add things in drop by drop - too much of a type A personality, I guess.  I should try to make it again, now that I've become more mellowed.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: CortJstr on August 24, 2004, 04:29:37 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Red-eye gravy is gravy made from ham drippings and coffee. It's what's for breakfast. Please tell me I don't have to evangelize grits to anyone; I lack the words.

Sweet zombie jesus! Two of the things on earth I hate most are ham and coffee. That sounds indescribably terrible. Especially on biscuits.

Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Oh no! That's the only reason I ever even eat at Popeye's, because I'm craving a biscuit. People throw them away?!

Oh yeah. We frequently get the "buy 11 get 11 free" meal for lunch at work and always just tell them to keep the biscuits because nobody eats them. Now the cajun rice and chilis people fight over.

Quote from: "Va"
Didja know it's actually really, really easy to make homemade mayonnaise, and that it tastes really amazingly better than the jarred stuff? Last time I made mayo, it was with balsalmic vinegar, olive oil and rosemary. Then I used it to make chicken salad. Oh man, was that ever good.

You don't say (http://home.earthlink.net/~hollygo/salad/getheme.wav).
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: Va on August 24, 2004, 04:58:55 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You don't say (http://home.earthlink.net/~hollygo/salad/getheme.wav).


:shock: How did you know?  Good Eats is the best cooking show ever.  I love Alton Brown.  Did anyone ever notice the eerie resemblance between Alton Brown and Adam Sessler of TechTVs "Extended Play"?
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: doomglobe on August 24, 2004, 05:07:39 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
It's been a long time since I handed out a Most Wandering Thread Award.  This one is really gold medal quality.


they are 'BREAKING THE LAW, BREAKING THE LAW' \m/      \m/
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: arkabee on August 24, 2004, 06:12:13 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Sweet zombie jesus! Two of the things on earth I hate most are ham and coffee. That sounds indescribably terrible. Especially on biscuits.


well, other than being apathetic about ham rather than apostlistic about it:

it's good to finally meet my nemesis.

well met sir,

:tip-hat:

and en garde.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: CortJstr on August 24, 2004, 07:09:23 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Sweet zombie jesus! Two of the things on earth I hate most are ham and coffee. That sounds indescribably terrible. Especially on biscuits.

well, other than being apathetic about ham rather than apostlistic about it:

it's good to finally meet my nemesis.

well met sir,

:tip-hat:

and en garde.

Gentlemen, deploy the pierogi!
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 24, 2004, 08:13:52 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Please tell me I don't have to evangelize grits to anyone; I lack the words.


Don't you find it odd that foodies who would rhapsodize about couscous will turn their noses up at grits?


Sort of - but Grits is (are?) from corn and cous - cous is some kind of tiny little wheat noodle/pasta sort of thing, isn't it?  Both good, though.

I know people who don't like rice but do like risotto. That's kind of senseless. (I love both)

Even more odd than that: Polenta. I am pretty sure people who will eat and rhapsodize about polenta would never, ever eat mush.

I happen to LOVE mush. And polenta.

Now them's Grandpa Jones-type Good Eats!
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: CortJstr on August 24, 2004, 08:17:13 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
You don't say (http://home.earthlink.net/~hollygo/salad/getheme.wav).


:shock: How did you know?  Good Eats is the best cooking show ever.  I love Alton Brown.  Did anyone ever notice the eerie resemblance between Alton Brown and Adam Sessler of TechTVs "Extended Play"?

I think you're preaching to the choir when it comes to Alton. In fact, back on Dumbrella we got into an arguement about whether Old Bay was a crazy regional thing or a quality spice. It's mention in Alton's 1st book crushed all oppostion and ended the argument.

Besides, who would dare question the usefulness of Old Bay? Nobody, that's who.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: V-Adore on August 24, 2004, 08:21:33 pm
Alton Brown is one of the several things that are slowly pulling me in the direction of being a full-fledged, couscous-appreciating foodie. This is all.

(Also, on the subject of aloe drink: the really hateful thing isn't the chunks. It's the fact that, to quote Leader Kibo's review (http://www.kibo.com/kibofood/index.html#DONTDRINK), it tastes "like bees in convenient liquid form." Tamarind soda tastes better than this stuff!)
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: TALKYdude on August 24, 2004, 09:16:10 pm
I'm not sure what mush is, exactly. I do like to cover the bottom of a small pan with digestive biscuits and pour hot tea all over it, not enough for any tea to be left over, just enough to totally soak the digestive biscuits, and then smush it up with a spoon and eat it. I guess that's sort of mushy.
I love Nestlé Cerelac too, that is just a taste I can't get anywhere else. I don't care if it is baby food, it's addictive.
edit to add: Cerelac (http://www.metrofoods.homestead.com/files/CERELAC_JPEG.jpg). I didn't even know there were all these varieties, I've only had the plain wheat. Dang, I gotta find this other stuff, too, now.
I think it's officially supposed to be a while-weaning food. I know various anti-Nestlé people like NGOs and such hate it, apparently because Nestlé markets it to third world mothers for use as early as four months old. It is some good stuff. Too bad about Nestlé being evil or whatever.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: andalucia on August 24, 2004, 09:27:24 pm
I like polenta and would eat a food called mush just so I could talk about it.  It reminds me of how I used to call the random pans of vegetables and divers non-meat proteins that I would cook "slurry" until my stepmother, who grew up on a farm, used the term to refer to "barrels of liquid waste".  That kind of killed that one.  But mush = yes, tentatively.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: jough on August 25, 2004, 06:27:59 am
Dang people you all wrote too much for me to read.

Could someone please summarise this thread for me, putting the salient points in a nice bulleted list, and then maybe record it to a WAV or MP3 file so I could listen to it while making eggs or something?

Thanks.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: Va on August 25, 2004, 10:57:01 am
Summary:

Cous-cous is good.
Grits are good.
Mush is good.
Alton Brown rocks.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 25, 2004, 01:15:28 pm
Addendum:  CortJst doesn't like ham.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: side_show on August 25, 2004, 02:20:34 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Addendum:  CortJst doesn't like ham.


also:

Poutine is a crazy Canadian food of French Fries, cheese curds, and gravy.  

Slink and Side_show both like mayonaise a lot.

andalucia moved to montreal
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: jough on August 26, 2004, 03:47:19 pm
Awesome.  Thanks.

Maybe someone could do that with the other threads - just PM me with a summary the thread and the thread's name in the PM title, maybe after it's been not posted to for like, three days.

Thanks gang.
Title: It's a... Judas Priest Friday 8/20
Post by: doomglobe on August 26, 2004, 08:24:54 pm
\m/    :twisted:   \m/  
He is the Painkiller
This is the Painkiller

Faster than a lazer bullet
Louder than an atom bomb
Chromium plated boiling metal
Brighter than a thousand suns

\m/    :twisted:   \m/