The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on August 23, 2004, 06:48:01 pm

Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on August 23, 2004, 06:48:01 pm
Full of creamy blog-discussing goodness!
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on August 23, 2004, 07:48:15 pm
Now Onstad just needs to, y'know, update them.

C'mon! I want to hear about the outcome of Operation H.O.T. S.A.U.C.E.! What great disaster befell this week, huh?
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on August 24, 2004, 05:10:55 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO: Looks like Beef had issues with the semi-public performance.  Hope it doesn't have repercussions.


I have to side with the Roasted Beef here: there are very few things more off-putting, in my opinion, than goddamned cutesy novelty underwear (c.f. "Hot Stuff") such as one might buy off of Cafe Press or that Rock And Roll store at the Mall.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: Bozack on August 24, 2004, 03:13:04 pm
Wow, I assume this was posted last week, but dang,  Ekaterina Gamova looks like some sort of pixie thing.


a HOT pixie thing.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: andalucia on August 24, 2004, 06:01:02 pm
Quote from: "Ray"
...so I just left the pool shed door open and raccoons ate them.


Yeah, that really is pretty appalling.  Although my friend's dog did the same thing once.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: jough on August 25, 2004, 06:39:35 am
I haven't read the blogs in like, a week, but your comments here are probably even more entertaining anyway.

Carry on, citizens.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: andalucia on August 25, 2004, 12:51:17 pm
Thanks Jough!
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2004, 06:36:41 pm
Molly, sweetheart, you want a guy who sits at a computer all day, or you want a guy who goes out and grabs the opportunity to actually experience life?  Maybe it's not reasonable to expect both.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on August 25, 2004, 07:21:06 pm
I have to kind of side with Beef on this one, honestly. While I think Molly meant well, I think she needs to understand that, with a guy like that, you're only going to get public intimacy when he has control over it. Also, no guy wants to make out in his ambivalently-"best"-friend's shed, all with banana slugs already on the floor.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: ferocious j on August 27, 2004, 06:54:56 pm
Oh god, Mr. Bear is in for some hell-of disappointment

But it will be hilarious!
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2004, 07:45:40 pm
Quote from: "ferocious j"
Oh god, Mr. Bear is in for some hell-of disappointment

But it will be hilarious!

The pin stripes will totally make the differece.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: andalucia on August 27, 2004, 08:05:40 pm
You'd think the unusual cachet of being an Alive Stuffed Animal would be enough to win over the weird-lookin' lady, but I guess not.
Geez.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2004, 08:23:12 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
You'd think the unusual cachet of being an Alive Stuffed Animal would be enough to win over the weird-lookin' lady, but I guess not.
Geez.

Oh crap! This post made me wonder what their . . . romantic life would be like.

Get It Out of My Head!
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: Formica on August 27, 2004, 09:00:13 pm
Hmmm.

I sense the impending death of the blogs.

Is it just me?
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: arkabee on August 27, 2004, 10:36:53 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"

Looks like Ray's blog kinda confirms your take.


why is it that the one time the universe decides to back my worldview,
it's over my opinion on the thoughts of a cat that he posts on his blog?
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on August 28, 2004, 12:00:51 am
Does anyone have a clue what "the Miz gerries" are that LN wants to catch up on? I feel sadly clueless and out-of-touch with the "modern generation."

And I dunno, really... something still rubs me wrong about the whole Operation H.O.T. S.A.U.C.E. thing. Maybe it was the fact that Onstad actually put a link to the Achewood store in? That kind of broke the fourth wall for me.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: andalucia on August 28, 2004, 12:06:45 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
And I dunno, really... something still rubs me wrong about the whole Operation H.O.T. S.A.U.C.E. thing. Maybe it was the fact that Onstad actually put a link to the Achewood store in? That kind of broke the fourth wall for me.


Yeah, it freaks me out almost as much as Phillippe having The Religion.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on August 28, 2004, 01:24:16 am
I dunno, I can sort of buy Philippe having Religion, if only because it hasn't been used all that stupidly yet. It could get irritating if 'stad goes overboard with it, though.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: Bozack on August 28, 2004, 04:03:39 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I dunno, I can sort of buy Philippe having Religion, if only because it hasn't been used all that stupidly yet. It could get irritating if 'stad goes overboard with it, though.


Yeah, and it's not even really like he's got The Religion; it's more like he's just got random, weird Morals.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2004, 04:21:30 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Does anyone have a clue what "the Miz gerries" are that LN wants to catch up on? I feel sadly clueless and out-of-touch with the "modern generation."


But you are the "modern generation".

Quote from: "later on, V"
I dunno, I can sort of buy Philippe having Religion, if only because it hasn't been used all that stupidly yet. It could get irritating if 'stad goes overboard with it, though.


That doesn't seem like much of a danger to me.  Onstad never seems to go overboard with a theme.  He has a fine sense of comic timing -- leave 'em wanting more, stop it sooner versus later.  I can't really think of a joke/theme that he's worn out.  I guess Teador's party ran a little long, but that was more of a setting rather than a gag.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on August 28, 2004, 06:03:23 am
For a character who (relatively) doesn't get much face time in the strip (and has dog shit abs besides), Pat is slowly but surely becoming my favorite character. It's funny: I believe my very first post here contained something to the effect of "Pat is a dick".

Pat. I was wrong, in spirit if not in letter. You are right to be a dick. Take it from Pat, people: shape up.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2004, 06:42:18 am
St Zartan, you are my favorite character.

On edit:  I have to agree.  I see too much of Pat in myself.  Pat is like the ultimate rationalist.  Things are sposta make sense dammit!  Pat represses his voltaile emotions because it's the correct thing to do.  When presented with an irrational situation he blows the limits and does crazy shit to try to restore rationality.

Part of me applauds Pat for the effort.  Part of me laughs at him for believing he can change the condition of the cosmos.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on August 28, 2004, 02:41:30 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "later on, V"
I dunno, I can sort of buy Philippe having Religion, if only because it hasn't been used all that stupidly yet. It could get irritating if 'stad goes overboard with it, though.

That doesn't seem like much of a danger to me.  Onstad never seems to go overboard with a theme.  He has a fine sense of comic timing -- leave 'em wanting more, stop it sooner versus later.  I can't really think of a joke/theme that he's worn out.  I guess Teador's party ran a little long, but that was more of a setting rather than a gag.

I don't think he's supposed to be some crazy fundamentalist Religious Reich kind of person, he just has the vague regilious notions that many kids do. Say your prayers, swearing makes god angry. That kind of thing.

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Part of me applauds Pat for the effort. Part of me laughs at him for believing he can change the condition of the cosmos.

Pat's greatest enemy: entropy
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: palm trees on August 28, 2004, 03:07:08 pm
Quote
Earlier in the week he wanted to do this Donald Trump theme, which I guess meant that he would fly away in a helicopter while the party went bankrupt, but hopefully he'll have changed his mind.



there's my sweet one-liner for the day.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on August 28, 2004, 03:18:29 pm
So much for my Blog-Chris-Isn't-Married theory.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on August 28, 2004, 05:47:55 pm
I think this is the first Pat-rant I basically agree with. I can grok his wavelength here. I like to think this is because this is his first rant which is truly rational and does not involve doing awful things to service personnel who are just trying to do their best in this world.

Also, I think LN proves to me that I am entirely out of step with Youth Culture, at least as it applies to talking cats.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: Bozack on August 28, 2004, 07:10:15 pm
Wait, is this the Postal Service rant that went up a while ago? Because that's the latest Pat entry I'm gettin.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on August 28, 2004, 08:29:45 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Wait, is this the Postal Service rant that went up a while ago? Because that's the latest Pat entry I'm gettin.

Screw the Dream Team (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/08/screw-dream-team.html)
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 28, 2004, 09:21:42 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
So much for my Blog-Chris-Isn't-Married theory.


Are Freeze-pop Liz and Onstad, Liz two different people?
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: wombat on August 28, 2004, 11:37:35 pm
I think they're different people because don't the Freezepops live in Boston?

But did you know that they also have an advice column from a cat on their website?
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: andalucia on August 29, 2004, 12:09:17 am
Quote from: "wombat"
But did you know that they also have an advice column from a cat on their website?


Jesus, I actually went and checked their website, anticipating feeling like the stupidest of fools, but I'll be damned.
Title: Blogs -- week of August 23, 2004
Post by: sjlimmer on August 29, 2004, 05:07:25 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Wait, is this the Postal Service rant that went up a while ago? Because that's the latest Pat entry I'm gettin.

Screw the Dream Team (http://journeyintoreason.blogspot.com/2004/08/screw-dream-team.html)


I must be turing into Pat as well, since his rant immediately made me think of this article (http://www.reason.com/links/links082604.shtml).  I suspect that Pat reads Reason far more often than I, though.