The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Va on August 23, 2004, 09:21:16 pm
-
I couldn't help noticing that there seems to be a pretty high density of Pixies fans here, judging from this thread (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=1213).
Anyone else going to see them, or already saw them this year?
-
I'm trying to put together a trip back East the first week of December. The Pixies are playing my alma mater, UMASS, on the first of the month, and I may go with some friends of mine from back then.
-
The Pixies are playing my alma mater, UMASS...
THAT'S EDUCATIONAL!
Well, it had to be said.
I about (figuratively) shit myself when I heard the Pixies had got back together for a tour. They were already split up when I got into them, and I didn't think I would ever, ever get to see them. We're seeing them in Atlanta on October 13th. 4th row pit, baby. I fully expect to be splashed with sweat from Frank Black's gleaming skull. Also, I will be hell of pregnant.
-
I've got my ticket to see them at the University of Quebec's skating rink in late November: and it's general admission, so I am so going to be a fangirl and line up all day.
-
It is educational. What's stranger is that Frank and Joey lived in the dorm across from mine in the fall of 1985 in Orchard Hill. I, of course, never actually met them. So that's about as O.G. as I get with the Pixies.
-
I'm a Pixies fan but not enough to go to NYC as that's the closest show and it's four hours away.
Have you all pre-ordered the new Frank Black (http://www.insidepulse.com/article.php?contentid=20122) stuff, also? IIRC the double album will be called Frank Black Francis.
-
Who are these Pixies of which you speak?
-
Who are these Pixies of which you speak?
ah hahahaha you kill me.
so, i have a pixies "bootleg" video on cd but i don't have the right codec right now.
-
Who are these Pixies of which you speak?
ah hahahaha you kill me.
so, i have a pixies "bootleg" video on cd but i don't have the right codec right now.
I'm really not kidding. As I've said before, I quit keeping up with music in about 1989. I'd like to know. Compare them to somebody I'd be familiar with. Help me out on this one and I'll tell you how to handle a traffic ticket someday.
-
Who are these Pixies of which you speak?
ah hahahaha you kill me.
so, i have a pixies "bootleg" video on cd but i don't have the right codec right now.
arkabee, if you're on Windows, try these things, in the order given:
get vlc media player (http://www.videolan.org/mirror.html?mirror=http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/videolan/&file=vlc/0.7.2/win32/vlc-0.7.2-win32.exe) and see if it'll play it.
get k-lite codec mega pack (http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/join.asp?siteid=k-litecodecpack&ad=no_ad&key=no_key&countryname=&ref=http://www.google.com/search?q=codec+pack&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8) and see if it'll play it.
If you still can't get it to play, you now have a bunch of stuff installed on your system, sorry about that. Uninstall it if you don't want to keep it, I keep both around and find them handy frequently.
-
I'm really not kidding. As I've said before, I quit keeping up with music in about 1989. I'd like to know. Compare them to somebody I'd be familiar with. Help me out on this one and I'll tell you how to handle a traffic ticket someday.
Hey, me too - I want to know about both the Pixes and the traffic ticket...
-
I'm really not kidding. As I've said before, I quit keeping up with music in about 1989. I'd like to know. Compare them to somebody I'd be familiar with.
The Pixies are one of those groups that are ridiculously influential for the number of people who are familiar with them, so it's a lot easier to say who's like them than who they're like, but I'd say their clearest antecedents would be probably the Velvet Underground, for combining clever avant-gardidity with awesome rockyness, or any of the better "alternative" (for lack of a better term) bands from the 80s like Husker Du or Dinosaur Jr. (both of whom were pretty much contemporaries of the Pixies, actually... hm. blast.)
Essentially, they're a good, fun rock band with talented musicians and clever songs. I'm sure one of the other music geeks here can provide a better summary though.
-
i've not heard a Velvet Underground recording that i've liked. and i do not understand why all these great bands get compared to the VU. regardless.
Pixies, um, Lead Singer kind of sing/screams/high pitched falsetto. but not in a Hair Band way, in an Alternative way.
2 guitar, very surf, very jingley jangley. nice solos, not ostentatious.
bass player is a chick, who sang on, what?, 2 songs. later went on to form the Breeders, who after kicking Tanya Donnely to the curb hat a hit single with Cannonball.
The drummer is, well, a drummer.
Have you seen that horrid teenage-illegal-radio-Christian-Slater-vehicle? There's either A) a pixies song on the soundtrack , B) a cover of a pixies song on it. i always forget which.
Pixies were on Letterman once, to promote Tromp Le Monde.
um. they were a band.
-
2 guitar, very surf
That's what would sum it up for me.
Smells Like Teen Spirit was a ripoff of a Pixies riff.
The ending track to Fight Club was the Pixies.
And if you haven't heard them you really should, for if you like the Pixies, you kind of wonder what you'd do without them.
-
When people ask me to describe the Pixies, the best I can usually come up with is "surf punk".
For the Pixies-ignorant, here's some tracks you can check out. Get 'em while they're hot, 'cuz I won't be leaving them up for very long.
FYI, if you haven't exposed yourself to new music in a long time, you may also be in need of an introduction to Primus and Phish. EDIT: And Weezer.
Bone Machine (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/01_bone_machine.mp3)
Planet of Sound (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/02_planet_of_sound.mp3)
Velouria (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/03_velouria.mp3)
U-MASS (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/06_u-mass.mp3)
I've Been Tired (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/07_ive_been_tired.mp3)
Monkey Gone to Heaven (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/07_monkey_gone_to_heaven.mp3)
Where Is My Mind (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/07_where_is_my_mind_.mp3)
Dig For Fire (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/08_dig_for_fire.mp3)
Space (I Believe In) (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/10_space_i_believe_in.mp3)
EDIT:
Added due to popular demand:
Alec Eiffel (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/03_alec_eiffel.mp3)
Added because I can:
Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf Mix) (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/07-wave_of_mutilation_u.k_surf_mix.mp3)
Added for comparison/contrast with above:
Wave of Mutilation (Album version) (http://gotfreedom.net/pixies/03_wave_of_mutilation.mp3)
For the already Pixies and/or Frank Black obsessed, did you know that all that shit is up on eMusic (http://emusic.com)?
-
Have you seen that horrid teenage-illegal-radio-Christian-Slater-vehicle? There's either A) a pixies song on the soundtrack , B) a cover of a pixies song on it. i always forget which.
It wasn't so bad, for what it was. High school juniors need entertainment, too - better "Pump Up the Volume" than fuck*ng "Yu-Gi-Oh!".
Anyway, that was the "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation", not a cover. It was played slower, all nice and languid and dreamy.'
EDIT: Va, no "Alec Eiffel"? That song has "gateway drug" written all over it. Also, I don't know if you know, but according to Message Board Daddy, this board has hella lurkers, so keep an eye on your bandwidth.
-
Anyway, that was the "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation", not a cover. It was played slower, all nice and languid and dreamy.'
EDIT: Va, no "Alec Eiffel"? That song has "gateway drug" written all over it. Also, I don't know if you know, but according to Message Board Daddy, this board has hella lurkers, so keep an eye on your bandwidth.
Omission noted and rectified. And, for good measure, I threw in the UK Surf version of Wave of Mutilation. re: bandwidth - roger that.
-
Have you seen that horrid teenage-illegal-radio-Christian-Slater-vehicle? There's either A) a pixies song on the soundtrack , B) a cover of a pixies song on it. i always forget which.
It wasn't so bad, for what it was. High school juniors need entertainment, too - better "Pump Up the Volume" than fuck*ng "Yu-Gi-Oh!".
Anyway, that was the "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation", not a cover. It was played slower, all nice and languid and dreamy.'
EDIT: Va, no "Alec Eiffel"? That song has "gateway drug" written all over it. Also, I don't know if you know, but according to Message Board Daddy, this board has hella lurkers, so keep an eye on your bandwidth.
Dude, I have that cassette in my car. I stole it from my sister during the hight of my Christian Slater crush (gag, I know, but c'mon Heathers wasnt so bad) The Pump Up the Volume soundtrack was actually not that bad - it had the Pixes and Sonic Youth on it, and also a horrible, hilariously bad song by Soundgarden.
Actually, this is the only Pixes song I know, and it's probably (?) not representative of their other music. I've just failed to get into them or Sonic Youth. I'm a real lover of good lyrics, and barely being able to make out lyrics over the jangle, no matter how good the jangle is, doesn't do it for me. This is also why I was never "into" Radiohead. I'm sure fans like yourselves can defend that these bands do write good lyrics, but since I can't actually make them out, well, meh.
-
The Pixies and Frank Black have lots of trippy sci-fi lyrics.
-
I'm really not kidding. As I've said before, I quit keeping up with music in about 1989. I'd like to know. Compare them to somebody I'd be familiar with. Help me out on this one and I'll tell you how to handle a traffic ticket someday.
Well then you should know, because the Pixies were in full swing by 1989, kicking ass and taking names, having released two of the best albums of the 80s in 88 and 89 (I think). Plus a great smaller type album in 87.
Traffic ticket? What's the secret?
I just found out Saturday they will be playing a nice theatre on my campus in a month. I saw them in May on a HUGE ASS field. They were great, but I'm too old and fat for GA shows anymore, so I'm looking forward to comfortable assigned seating. And my seat appears to be pretty good.
In November David Sedaris will be rocking the same house, so that will be cool too.
-
I'm a real lover of good lyrics, and barely being able to make out lyrics over the jangle, no matter how good the jangle is, doesn't do it for me. This is also why I was never "into" Radiohead. I'm sure fans like yourselves can defend that these bands do write good lyrics, but since I can't actually make them out, well, meh.
I clicked on the UMass song right away, having a degree from there and all - but then I immediately had to Google for the lyrics to know what it was about. So it wasn't just my aged ears or crappy old laptop, then.
-
It wasn't so bad, for what it was. High school juniors need entertainment, too - better "Pump Up the Volume" than fuck*ng "Yu-Gi-Oh!".
Anyway, that was the "UK Surf" version of "Wave of Mutilation", not a cover. It was played slower, all nice and languid and dreamy.'
i will admit that the idea of driving around a pirate radiostation and being all Christian Slater cool was a good idea to me before i started drinking. i even thought, at one point, that it might behoove me to "Gleam the Cube". maybe.
for some reason i always want to say that Jesus and MAry Chain and the Pixies had some sort of song swap symbiosis.
-
Sweet fuck*ng CHRIST I can't leave you kids alone for five FREAKING DAYS?
First of all, the Pixies do indeed rock, and I would love to see them but probably won't.
Also, why do all of Frank Black's albums other than the first eponymous one suck so bad? Can someone explain "Frank Black and the Catholics" to me? I mean, is it ironic country, or does he really think that shit is good?
And the Velvet Underground is my favourite band of ALL fuck*ng TIME, so I really don't know what to say to those who don't like them.
Also, Pump Up the Volume was a pretty good movie, and the soundtrack rocked at the time. I did wish that it had the Leonard Cohen version of "Everybody Knows" on it, though, since the one on there is teh suck.
But the album version of Wave of Mutilation is the only true version. That UK Surf bullshit is just wasting EVERYONE'S time.
Later today, once everyone else is awake, I'm off to make the hajj to Martello Tower, and then off to Dublin for the flight home, which means pretty much that I will be riding in the world's smallest car all day. Whee!
I guess I will not have time to walk the Bloomsday walk through the city. Pity.
Ireland is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake!
-
Also, why do all of Frank Black's albums other than the first eponymous one suck so bad?
Easy! They don't. You have obviously not listened to "Pistolero". Frank Black in fact rocks at least as hard, if not harder, by himself, or with the Catholics, as he did/does with the Pixies. I can provide hard evidence, if requested. I hope this confusion is cleared up.
-
But the album version of Wave of Mutilation is the only true version. That UK Surf bullshit is just wasting EVERYONE'S time.
That's it. Jough has officially become Pat (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02142003).
-
Ok, Jough, despite the indisputed awesomeness of your Joyce references (if the deadline hasn't passed yet for jough-presents, I would love a token James Joyce thing, like a postcard or something), you are wrong wrong wrong about the majority of Frank Black's albums being bad.
-
I know it's too late but I would've asked for one of those heart rings that I can't spell. Claddagh?
Anway. I don't own any Frank Black albums, where should I start?
-
Anway. I don't own any Frank Black albums, where should I start?
the first one.
avoid the one with the song about getting kicked in the taco. is, um, not so good. (the cult of ray, i believe, is the album title.)
-
Anway. I don't own any Frank Black albums, where should I start?
I haven't listened to it in ages, but I remember not being able to drag myself away from "Teenager of the Year" for days on end.
Hella Taco Bell stylezz
-
Anway. I don't own any Frank Black albums, where should I start?
His eponymous album is super-nice, and Pistolero is also quite tasty. I love them all, however. Well, almost all. I don't have Teenager of the Year or The Cult of Ray, so I haven't yet had the chance to love them.
-
The first album is the most Pixies-like ( duh ). Teenager of the Year is his best album. If you don't like one song, just wait two minutes and there will be another one. Great guitar playing too. The Cult of Ray is worth it if you can get a very cheap used copy.
The first Frank Black and the Catholics album has a lot of good stuff on it too. After that, I lost interest.
-
I wanted to check it out, and Amazon has Teenager of the Year as "most popular" so I added that to my wishlist on a whim but this is the first real info I have on it.
-
The only one I have is "Dog In The Sand," which I think is pretty neat.
-
The only one I have is "Dog In The Sand," which I think is pretty neat.
Oh, that's a wonderful one. Llano Del Rio. Bullet. Blast Off. And the monster, The St. Francis Dam Disaster. If there's another rock and roll song which anthropomorphizes as body of water trapped behind a dam, I'll eat my hat.
She was a slave to the great metropolis
She was feelin' choked
She pushed the wall 'till it broke
-
I've got a signed picture of Frank Black. I got it as a Valentines day gift from a previous girlfriend. Only good thing that ever came outta that relationship.
Oh, and his self titled album rocks pretty well.
-
The only one I have is "Dog In The Sand," which I think is pretty neat.
Dear god yes. "Bullet" is just a really great rock song, and since I'm a Huxley fan, I find "Llano del Rio" inordinately charming.
-
Dog in the Sand is with the Catholics, by the way.
-
I am shocked (SHOCKED!) that nobody is downloading those tracks. My bandwidth usage has not budged.
-
I am shocked (SHOCKED!) that nobody is downloading those tracks. My bandwidth usage has not budged.
i know i speak for myself when i say that i already have all of those tracks.
edit:
but it is nice to know that you worry about me having access to Pixies songs. you shall be a good mother.
-
What arkabee said. Between CDs and eMusic I have all their stuff.
-
What arkabee said. Between CDs and eMusic I have all their stuff.
eMusic utterly blows away every other pay music service on the internet in the universe.
I looked at the detailed stats, and it looks like they've each been dowloaded a couple of times. I managed to forget that most of the people coming to this thread are probably already Pixies fans. :dunce:
Maybe I oughta put up a few Frank Black tracks.
-
Actually I just found out that eMusic has several Frank Black albums so I used up my 40 downloads on that.
I've screwed myself though. I've been a member since 1999 and have actually DL'd a criminally low number of tracks.
-
Oh man, we almost never downloaded anything when it was unlimited, but now that we get only a specific number of tracks, we never fail to use every single one.
-
I'm now beating myself up because I keep seeing CD's I bought in a store for no reason. Like both New Pornographers albums.
-
Both? Damn it, I bought Mass Romantic.
-
I actually would like to DL them, as I have not yet heard any Pixies, but the computer from which I check the boards is my father's, so I've generally been eschewing DLing big files on it. Perhaps tomorrow I'll hook up my laptop and get to downloading.
-
I actually would like to DL them, as I have not yet heard any Pixies
?!
::faints::
-
Yes, I know, there is something horribly wrong with me. But I want to fix that! Tomorrow I shall!
-
OMG, V-Adore.
eMusic fans, how come they're so cool? I thought iTMS was the only good music store. Administrator, please hope me.
-
Administrator, please hope me.
Man, that's esoteric!
-
Administrator, please hope me.
Man, that's esoteric!
Heh heh heh. I want a MeFi login so so berry bad. My first day after I get one I'm gonna post about a dozen AxMes.
-
Me too, man, me too. I've been lurking there for a long long time.
-
OMG, V-Adore.
eMusic fans, how come they're so cool? I thought iTMS was the only good music store. Administrator, please hope me.
Dang silly person. eM had the whole 99-cent track thing going back in '99, baby! Then they went unlimited! Then to VBR tracks instead of 128kbps! Whoo!
Plus you can play them anywhere because they're regular mp3's. DRM is teh suk.
-
Really! I had no idea they were DRM-free, I was waiting for the list of bennies followed by "but they're wma files" so I could snort. Cool.
UNLIMITED? *see ya in a minute or two, I gotta check out emusic.com people*
edit to update: not unlimited any more, eh? A 20 spot for 90 songs is pretty cheap though.
-
eMusic is teh r0x0r. Frank Black. The Pixies. Yo La Tengo. Grandaddy. Sleater-Kinney. The New Pornographers. Cracker. They Might Be Giants. Firewater. Belle and Sebastian. Apples in Stereo. At the Drive-In. Built to Spill. Camper Van Beethovan. George Carlin. Cat Power. Clem Snide. Tanya Donelly. Guided By Voices. Interpol. The Kinks. Mogwai. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. Pavement. Pizzicato Five. Elliot Smith (poor Elliot Smith! :cry:). Sterolab. Negativland. Tom Waits.
Whenever I see people lamenting how they're bankrupting themselves buying music at the iTMS, I want evangelize eM. I remember seeing stories about how the Walmart music store was breaking the $.99 per track threshold with $.88 per track, and I'm all like "No, you idiots, eM is $.22 per track!" Anyway, that's what it is if you get the 90 track/$20 subscription, and why wouldn't you? You can't even buy two CDs for $20, unless they're used. And, best of all, totally unemcumbered, plain vanilla mp3.
-
Va, wow. I'm an avid fan of about half your list and like but don't love several others, yet have never heard of many of the people you listed. But I like your taste based on the ones I do know. The ones I've never heard of are Firewater, Cracker, Apples in Stereo, Camper Van Beethovan (? LOL at the name. Beethovan?!), Clem Snide, and Tanya Donelly. If you'd like to elaborate on why I should listen to any of those I'm listening, but feel free to tell me to go look up reviews or something.
-
I've been stuck on the 40 for $9.95 since the downgraded from unlimited. For much of that time I was on extra-shitty dial-up (26k!) and was lucky to actually DL 5 a month. But now that I'm on cable and getting more into the indie stuff I might up my account.
You'd think being a member since fuck*ng 1999 would earn me a discount or something. But hey, I got a free autographed copy of Mink Car, a free copy of Working Undercover for the Man, and a free TMBG fleece pullover out of the deal so I guess I shouldn't bitch too much.
Va, don't forget George Carlin and Lewis Black. Plus they have a lot of techno/electronic like DJ Tiesto, Wildchild, Timo Maas, etc. And punk, especially compilations like Punk-O-Rama. Not to mention the Matador records 2-disc comp. Ooo, and pre-major-label Hives. Which is awesome since A.K.A. I-D-I-O-T is their best song.*
And if they used DRM I'd be fucked because then I couldn't use them on JstrPod and that would just be silly.
*unless you're Zartan, in which case Walk Idiot Walk is better because of it's new in-joke value
-
Va, wow. I'm an avid fan of about half your list and like but don't love several others, yet have never heard of many of the people you listed. But I like your taste based on the ones I do know. The ones I've never heard of are Firewater, Cracker, Apples in Stereo, Camper Van Beethovan (? LOL at the name. Beethovan?!), Clem Snide, and Tanya Donelly. If you'd like to elaborate on why I should listen to any of those I'm listening, but feel free to tell me to go look up reviews or something.
I'd highly recommend looking into Clem Snide and Camper van Beethoven. And, whoa, Va, that list really makes me want to look into this Music thingy. But I think that, being amoral and a student, I'll stick with piracy for the time being. Still, it makes me happy to know that it is possible to buy mp3s of good bands.
-
eMusic Live (http://www.emusic.com/features/emusiclive/about.html) looks pretty cool too. I'm waiting for the 9:30 to actually get up and running so I can do some mad phat DLing
-
The ones I've never heard of are Firewater, Cracker, Apples in Stereo, Camper Van Beethovan (? LOL at the name. Beethovan?!), Clem Snide, and Tanya Donelly. If you'd like to elaborate on why I should listen to any of those I'm listening, but feel free to tell me to go look up reviews or something.
Tanya Donnelly was an alterna-rock-chixor prodigy. i believe she was the niece of what's her name in Throwing Muses, of whome she was a member. North-East band, centerred out of Rhode Island. Tanya apparently got sick of back-ground vocals and guitar work, and helped form The Breeders with Ms. Deal of Pixes fame. Around that time Tanya put out an album with her "hit single" "Feed the Trees". remember, this was the early 90s, when alterna-chixors were the bizomb. (of course, in my world, they still are). I remember the "Feed the Trees" single fondly, because it was featured on an Absolut Vodka Alterna Rock cd sampler. this cd, of course, was intrinsically cool in high school, because it was "NEW MUSIC" and was related to "VODKA"! Since those halcyon days of the 90s, she's put out at least one other album with her band "Belly" that didn't totally suck. of the early 90s alterna-chixors, she never was my favorite, though, and i have lost touch with her music.
Cracker i first heard about in college, and got to see live. they were pretty good. i think they played with Diggable Planets, but that was when i first started drinking, so i don't recall much clearly. They had a rather "hit" single in those days, wherein the video featured that annoying actress who won jeopardy in White Men Can't Jump, boxing the lead singer guy from Cracker. The video was in black and white, so, i guess, it was cool. The college i went to was Macintosh Only, and i remember that the Macs were coming with "free" videos from Apple, to show off the capabilites of the "cool" computers that everyone except me ordered (i got the LCIII with the B&W monitor. i hate pre-sales support. i hate them, i hate them, i hate them). I believe the Cracker video came on that disk. the song, i think, was entitled "Low", and went something like "low, low, mumble" with other words as well. It was a fun alterna-rock-90s song, with no chixors except in the video.
Camper Van Beethoven, i found out years later from my "golf playing" roomate, was the guy from Cracker's first band. some very good songs, apparently.
I don't know these other people you speak of.
-
The ones I've never heard of are Firewater, Cracker, Apples in Stereo, Camper Van Beethovan (? LOL at the name. Beethovan?!), Clem Snide, and Tanya Donelly. If you'd like to elaborate on why I should listen to any of those I'm listening, but feel free to tell me to go look up reviews or something.
Oops, spelled Beethoven wrong. It's Camper Van Beethoven.
I'm pretty bad at describing music, but I'll do my best here.
Firewater my husband discovered on eM. I believe it was one of eM's "recommendations" to us, which have been pretty darn good so far. They're loud and noisy while still being very melodic--judging by the number of instruments, I think they're a fairly large ensemble, or else they use a lot of sampling or studio musicians. The singer has a great deep growly voice (kinda like Mike Doughty), and they also have a female singer in some songs. I just can't think of another band to compare them to. A number of their songs sound like something you'd hear at a funky evil circus. Here's a few tracks.
Woke Up Down (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/01-woke_up_down.mp3)
Car Crash Collaborator (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/06-car_crash_collaborator.mp3)
Bad, Bad World (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/07-bad_bad_world.mp3)
Cracker, Cracker, Cracker. I love them so much, picking tracks is going to really hard. They're more or less an alt-country outfit, in that many of their songs are kind of "twangy" if you know that I mean, but they also rock very hard. They're a real working band, so they write a lot of road songs and they are tight. The lyrics to their songs are frequently amusing. Here's a song of theirs you might have heard on the radio, like, a million years ago:
Low (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/01_Low.mp3)
A few more:
Mr. Wrong (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/06_cracker_-_mr._wrong.mp3)
Big Dipper (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/03_big_dipper.mp3)
Been Around the World (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/06_been_around_the_world.mp3)
I'm going to skip to Camper Van, because Cracker and Camper Van are partly the same band. Camper Van = Cracker - one guitarist + a different guitarist + an electric fiddler. Camper Van are odd. The only band I can think of to compare them to is TMBG, but that might give the wrong impression. If you've listened to the Cracker tracks above, you might recognize David Lowry's voice in these tracks. Here's a song of theirs you might have heard on the radio, like, a million years ago:
Take the Skinheads Bowling (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/12_take_the_skinheads_bowling.mp3)
A few more:
All Her Favorite Fruit (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/01_all_her_favorite_fruit_orchestral.mp3)
When I Win the Lottery (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/11_when_i_win_the_lottery.mp3)
Axe Murderer Song (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/04_axe_murderer_song.mp3)
We went and saw Cracker and Camper Van earlier this year, and they put on an excellent show. When they did "When I Win the Lottery" they changed the word "communists" to "islamists".
This is long enough, I'll come back to the others.
-
Also, eMusic bundles seem to come with mp3 players:
100 Free Tracks courtesy of RCA:
http://emusic.com/lyra/
50 Free Downloads courtesy of Rio:
http://emusic.com/rio/
There may be more, but enjoy! You will need a credit card to sign up but if you cancel after your 100 dls you WILL NOT BE BILLED. I have tried this and verified it.
I signed up, got all of the exclusive Pixies and FB stuff, plus a few Sonny Rollins albums I didn't have, and quit.
Oh, and the exclusive Joe Jackson live album they have is worth it too.
-
Va, don't forget George Carlin
I didn't. But I did forget Bad Religion.
-
For the Camper van Beethoven recommendation list:
She Divines Water
and their cover of Pictures of Matchstick Men, which really just rocks.
-
jough, I'm slow this morning. I read that and went "so why the hell am I gonna buy some crappy non-iPod mp3 player just to get 50 or 100 songs?" It took me rereading that and deciding to click your links before it dawned on my dull, uncomprehending, slack-jawed, drooling face that you don't have to actually buy an mp3 player to use the offer.
Oh!
-
Arkabee and Va, thanks. And Va,
Oops, spelled Beethoven wrong. It's Camper Van Beethoven.
Oh. I liked it better as Camper Van Beethovan. But ok, I'll settle for this :-)
I'm pretty bad at describing music, but I'll do my best here.
Firewater my husband discovered on eM. I believe it was one of eM's "recommendations" to us, which have been pretty darn good so far. They're loud and noisy while still being very melodic--judging by the number of instruments, I think they're a fairly large ensemble, or else they use a lot of sampling or studio musicians. The singer has a great deep growly voice (kinda like Mike Doughty), and they also have a female singer in some songs. I just can't think of another band to compare them to. A number of their songs sound like something you'd hear at a funky evil circus. Here's a few tracks.
Woke Up Down (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/01-woke_up_down.mp3)
Car Crash Collaborator (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/06-car_crash_collaborator.mp3)
Bad, Bad World (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/07-bad_bad_world.mp3)
Cracker, Cracker, Cracker. I love them so much, picking tracks is going to really hard. They're more or less an alt-country outfit, in that many of their songs are kind of "twangy" if you know that I mean, but they also rock very hard. They're a real working band, so they write a lot of road songs and they are tight. The lyrics to their songs are frequently amusing. Here's a song of theirs you might have heard on the radio, like, a million years ago:
Low (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/01_Low.mp3)
A few more:
Mr. Wrong (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/06_cracker_-_mr._wrong.mp3)
Big Dipper (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/03_big_dipper.mp3)
Been Around the World (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/06_been_around_the_world.mp3)
I'm going to skip to Camper Van, because Cracker and Camper Van are partly the same band. Camper Van = Cracker - one guitarist + a different guitarist + an electric fiddler. Camper Van are odd. The only band I can think of to compare them to is TMBG, but that might give the wrong impression. If you've listened to the Cracker tracks above, you might recognize David Lowry's voice in these tracks. Here's a song of theirs you might have heard on the radio, like, a million years ago:
Take the Skinheads Bowling (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/12_take_the_skinheads_bowling.mp3)
A few more:
All Her Favorite Fruit (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/01_all_her_favorite_fruit_orchestral.mp3)
When I Win the Lottery (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/11_when_i_win_the_lottery.mp3)
Axe Murderer Song (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/04_axe_murderer_song.mp3)
We went and saw Cracker and Camper Van earlier this year, and they put on an excellent show. When they did "When I Win the Lottery" they changed the word "communists" to "islamists".
This is long enough, I'll come back to the others.
Based on your description of Firewater and Cracker I think you would really like Lambchop, by the way. I'm on my crappy laptop so I'm not gonna download any of those tracks until I move to the desktop later. I'll try and find some Lambchop tracks to link you as well.
-
For the Camper van Beethoven recommendation list:
She Divines Water
Concur. I would also have liked to post Wasted and Better Shut Us Down, but I didn't want to go overboard.
-
First of all, the iPod SUCKS compared to other MP3 players. It is shabbily constructed, heavy, has a problem with batteries going bad (and it's $100 to have one replaced), and even when they're good only lasts about six hours.
I got one of the new Rio players, the Carbon (http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_accessories.asp?model=267).
It's smaller than even the iPod mini, has an extra gb of storage, and the battery lasts around 24 hours on a single charge. Oh, plus it is just cooler looking and the navigation is better. And it works as a USB Mass Storage device - no drivers needed. And it's tiny and light. And you don't have to use the crappy iTunes software.
Seriously, I know "iPOD" has somehow become synonymous with "mp3 player" but really, it is a POS.
-
I know it doesn't have as many features or nearly as much battery life, but I'm addicted to the iPod way. I don't even own a mac and I laugh at Apple cultists but I really like iPods in a way that I don't other mp3 players. I've read about that new Carbon and it's definitely a sexy beast. But it's just not an iPod. I don't know if I can really explain that. Maybe I'm just addicted to the scrolly wheel dealie.
-
I know it doesn't have as many features or nearly as much battery life, but I'm addicted to the iPod way. I don't even own a mac and I laugh at Apple cultists but I really like iPods in a way that I don't other mp3 players. I've read about that new Carbon and it's definitely a sexy beast. But it's just not an iPod. I don't know if I can really explain that. Maybe I'm just addicted to the scrolly wheel dealie.
Not to mention the 40GB of musicy goodness!
But them I hate making playlists so for me "holds every song you own and will shuffle them" is a huge selling point for me.
I used to hate iTunes but the party shuffle feature is definitely something cool that Winamp doesn't have. And if there's an iTunes version of the WhiteCap visualization then it will rock extra. It did suck that iT tried to completely resort my actual mp3 files and trim their file names. That was quite lame.
[edit: but ear buds are shit! Who decided to use those instead of real headphones? I think I'll sacrifice the trendy white cable for headphones that don't fall out ever 14 seconds.
-
I'm going to have to swing with Jough on this one: I'm not really impressed with the iPod. I've owned a Rio Karma (http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=261) since February, and although I'm not usually a Product Shilling Whore, this thing is the bitch. I literally don't leave home without it.
The interface is basically rad: a little joystick plus a clicky side-mounted scroll wheel. It's intuitive as hell, especially compared to the iPod's "tap and pray" system. The Karma sits perfectly in the hand, and actually feels good to hold. Oh, and the thing is a fuck*ng camel as re battery power.
Personally, I found 20 GB to be the perfect compromise between price and function: the way my moods swing, with anything smaller I would undoubtedly find myself wanting something that I didn't have on board that day, and end up all grumpy. 20 GB from Rio cost, when I got mine, $100 less than 20 GB from Apple. It's pretty much cliche to point out that Apple users pay more for like fuck*ng everything more or less for that Apple cultural cachet, but yeah; I just wanted to listen to music all the time, not provoke conversations with nu-media radsters.
-
[edit: but ear buds are shit! Who decided to use those instead of real headphones? I think I'll sacrifice the trendy white cable for headphones that don't fall out ever 14 seconds.
Maybe your ear buds are shit, or you just have weirdly contoured ears. My Karma came with a tasty pair of Sennheiser earbuds that sat snug and sounded terrific. Sadly, I accidentally killed them about a month ago with my vacuum cleaner. My ~$10 replacements aren't the same, but they'll Do until I can reconcile myself with the idea of shelling out big for something I already owned and destroyed.
I dearly love headphones; I love the feel of them and the whole idea of wearing them, which is like a physical commitment to wrapping oneself in music. But the police would probably take a dim view to my driving around with a couple of fat cans strapped to my head, whereas the earbuds (to date) camouflage nicely under my hair. Earbuds, too, have portability (which is sort of the whole point of MP3 players) locked; you can wrap 'em around the player itself and stick the whole kit and kaboodle into a pocket or pouch.
-
I've been eyeing up the Karma, although the new Karma 2/Chroma (whatever the hell they call it) will be 40Gb. And that is enough to carry EVERY SONG I EVEN KINDA LIKE so I may just wait and save up for that bad-boy.
And yes, good earbuds will sound FAR better than most headphones that normal people can afford, but you need to spend about $80 to get a decent pair.
The Sony 888s are the standard-bearers for earbuds, although this guy thinks they sound too trebley:
http://www.amptone.com/audio/earbud.htm
-
[edit: but ear buds are shit! Who decided to use those instead of real headphones? I think I'll sacrifice the trendy white cable for headphones that don't fall out ever 14 seconds.
Maybe your ear buds are shit, or you just have weirdly contoured ears.
It must be my ears because I've tried about 10 different pairs of ear buds from the original Gameboy ones to hands-free cell phone ones to iPod and they all fall out in under 30 seconds. Or stay in for a full minute but hurt like hell the whole time.
Oddly, I routinely wear ear plugs and those don't bother me at all.
-
I have this Jabra earset thing for my phone (it has a mic built in that uses my head cavity to resonate for the mic - which works surprisingly well) and their convoluted earpiece is just SO DAMN UNCOMFORTABLE that I'd much rather have a standard ear piece.
I find the Sennheisers that came with my Carbon (and Nitrus before it) to be slightly too large for my ears. But my Sony 888s - sweet fuck*ng action.
I also have a pair of Sennheiser wireless that I use to listen to DVDs late at night or while I am cooking (commentary tracks).
-
Boo earbuds.
These (http://www.topdjgear.com/sony-mdr-v700.html) were my headphones and my Favourite Possession until my friend stepped on them. Now I have no headphones at all.
-
I have one of those godforsaken bluetooth Jabra things. And yea, they hurt like hell. No point sticking it in to drive for 2 hours, when I constantly readjust it to stop the agony. Plus it blocks out an ear of music hearing...
I really want to get an mp3 player now that they are getting to a decent storage size. Problem is, buying a 40gb is well, still a bit expensive (considering for the price of one I'm getting a new tank fitted to my car), and is on the line of enough space for me.
I have about 48Gb of music now, and that is not enough. I do get urges to listen to most of the stuff I own, and would like to just have the complete folder on a player. Then again, the other option is to find a good 20gb one and update it when I go places...
Until I decide, I try to save.
Oh, and I didn't even get onto the headphones issue.
I despise earbuds. I used them for ages with my old walkman, but then realised how bad they sounded. I now swear by these Sony wraparounds I found - the kind that go round the back of your neck. They have the bass that earbuds desperately lack, and are comfortable for long periods. Plus, they don't look as dumb as the over the head kind!
Oh, and they don't interfere with my shades too much.
-
I also have a pair of Sennheiser wireless that I use to listen to DVDs late at night or while I am cooking (commentary tracks).
Me too. I tend to use them while loud machinery is going (like the washer) because otherwise I have to turn the TV up too loud and risk neighbor complaints.
I despise earbuds. I used them for ages with my old walkman, but then realised how bad they sounded. I now swear by these Sony wraparounds I found - the kind that go round the back of your neck. They have the bass that earbuds desperately lack, and are comfortable for long periods. Plus, they don't look as dumb as the over the head kind!
That's what I use too. I have a pair where the wrap-around is solid plastic that I use for skating and such and a pair where it's just a wire that connects them that I keep at work. That way I can easily remove just one side if the phone rings or somebody walks up to me.
-
Va, no "Alec Eiffel"? That song has "gateway drug" written all over it.
That guitar. That keyboard.
That last minute and a half is one of the finest moments in rock and roll.
-
That "Hey Alexander I see you beneath the archway of aerodynamics" line at the end is just basically like MUSICAL fuck*ng HEAVEN.
I had that on near constant repeat when it first came out, when I had just started college.
Good times.
-
Someone mentioned Camper Van's cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men" above; Cracker does a bitchin' cover of it, too, but I never realized it was not their song. I'm wondering whose it is. A web search yielded two possibilities: some band called "The Status Quo" (never heard of 'em) and Ozzy Osbourne (rock!). Which is it?
-
Someone mentioned Camper Van's cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men" above; Cracker does a bitchin' cover of it, too, but I never realized it was not their song. I'm wondering whose it is. A web search yielded two possibilities: some band called "The Status Quo" (never heard of 'em) and Ozzy Osbourne (rock!). Which is it?
Cracker actually is, more or less, Camper Van Beethoven; same frontsman, some of the same members, etc. The song is originally by The Status Quo; the original song is sort of a trippy garage rock thing.
-
The song is originally by The Status Quo; the original song is sort of a trippy garage rock thing.
Yeah, I was really disappointed when I heard the original.
I am, however, very excited to hear the new CvB album.
-
If you're a C[amp|rack]er fan, you really need an eMusic subscription.
-
Someone mentioned Camper Van's cover of "Pictures of Matchstick Men" above; Cracker does a bitchin' cover of it, too, but I never realized it was not their song. I'm wondering whose it is. A web search yielded two possibilities: some band called "The Status Quo" (never heard of 'em) and Ozzy Osbourne (rock!). Which is it?
Cracker actually is, more or less, Camper Van Beethoven; same frontsman, some of the same members, etc.
http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=23860#23860
-
CD101 (http://www.cd101.com) in Columbus just started playing a new Camper song: 51/7 is hella sweetness. They're also good enough to play other CVB, Cracker, Pixies, and Frank Black songs on a regular basis.
I'm going to the Pixies show in Columbus on October 4th. I got 4th row, center of house seats. Nice.
-
Comment allez vous, motherfuckers?
Here's an ass-kicking Pixies show (http://tulum.free.fr/)from this past summer in France.
-
That's a great show, thanks!
"Bone Machine", "Hey", "Number 13, Baby", "Dead", "Mr. Grieves", "Broken Face", "Tame", "Vamos"; all the old favorites make a return!
Also, this thread reminds me that I've had tickets to the NJ shows for a good couple months now and the show is still almost 2 months away. *sigh*
-
Yeah, I didn't get tickets because I feared that they'd suck, but this show sounds pretty good.
Also, I just seem to have noticed today that Jane's Addiction put out a new album last year. Where the fuck was I and why did no one mention this to me?
-
It was actually mentioned in the last Pixies thread (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=276&highlight=janes+addiction), most of which you missed.
The record itself was a widescreen Technicolor explosion of rock, which was meant to obscure the fact that they've completely forgotten how to write a memorable song.
-
Yeah, I heard them do a few new songs when they reunion toured and they were awful - even the old songs were just going through the motions.
I either didn't notice or just forgot that they had released a new album long long after that tour, though (the tour was what, 1998? and the album 2003) which I'm downloading now (courtesy of AllOfMP3.com, which is awesome).
Anyway, I'd love to see a new Pixies album. I've been buying the Frank Black solo albums and with the exception of anything that says "And the Catholics" on it I've liked them all. The Cult of Ray is kicking in my playlist RIGHT NOW.
-
(courtesy of AllOfMP3.com, which is awesome).
Dude, I said LEGIT.
I would not give these people my CC#. Puh-lease.
ya, it's a handy site.
-
The record itself was a widescreen Technicolor explosion of rock, which was meant to obscure the fact that they've completely forgotten how to write a memorable song.
Which is bizarre, because Perry Farrell's solo album Song Yet to be Sung, I think, is really good. And definitely shows that he didn't lose his writing talent completely.
I need to check the writing credits, but I would reckon it'd be mostly Navarro's fault, as his solo career was fuck*ng AWFUL! It was just pop drivel of the worst, most overproduced kind.
-
Comment allez vous, motherfuckers?
Here's an ass-kicking Pixies show (http://tulum.free.fr/)from this past summer in France.
Oooh good stuff! thanks!
I only have one Pixies album, so it was nice to hear some of the stuff I hadn't heard...
it took me all day (dialup), but I dled it all darnit.
Perhaps I'll link it on my lj... yes...
-
I guess I'm getting to this thread a little late, but I'd like to mention that I did just see the Pixies in concert. The played at the Greek Theater outside my dorm room and they rocked so hard that it is difficult to comprehend, let alone describe.
I also saw them at Coachella, and they did a lot of rocking there too, albeit for a lesser period of time. Plus, I was kind of waiting for Radiohead and standing on one of my best friends, so I enjoyed them less.
-
Comment allez vous, motherfuckers?
Here's an ass-kicking Pixies show (http://tulum.free.fr/)from this past summer in France.
LIMMO IS A GOD AMONGST MEN.
thank you for the music.
-
(courtesy of AllOfMP3.com, which is awesome).
Dude, I said LEGIT.
I would not give these people my CC#. Puh-lease.
ya, it's a handy site.
Yeah, I got sucked in by them having a few albums that I had a hard time finding even in record stores.
I decided to go with them when I saw that they now use CyberPlat for their CC processing which means that AllOfMP3 won't ever see my credit card number.
Plus, I found the joy that is pre-paid disposable credit cards, for one-time use glee. No more identity theft for me.
-
LIMMO IS A GOD AMONGST MEN.
thank you for the music.
You're right, and you're welcome.
(Though some credit must go to large-hearted boy (http://blog.largeheartedboy.com/). Okay, all the credit. )
-
The "Frank Black Francis" record is truly the limit. Get it just to see what he looked like before he got all puffy.
-
I am seeing them during one of their 72 November Chicago shows. Looking forward to it.
-
Kim is a little puffy, and Frank has gotten really big (and I didn't know he was so short!), but I have to say Joey looked hot.
-
Today marks the one-month pre-anniversary of me seeing the Pixies.
*bows*
It's going to be a cold almost-December day when I line up outside all day in order to be right up front, though.
-
And that day came, and it wasn't so cold, but I didn't even have to line up to be three feet from Frank Black. I did, however, have to fight like crazy to stay there. I'm covered in grotesque bruises and my wallet got stolen, so I've got no cash, ID, or metro pass, but it was soooo worth it.
-
And that day came, and it wasn't so cold, but I didn't even have to line up to be three feet from Frank Black. I did, however, have to fight like crazy to stay there. I'm covered in grotesque bruises and my wallet got stolen, so I've got no cash, ID, or metro pass, but it was soooo worth it.
Did you ever know that you're my heeeeerooooooooooo?
/Bette Midler
-
And that day came, and it wasn't so cold, but I didn't even have to line up to be three feet from Frank Black. I did, however, have to fight like crazy to stay there. I'm covered in grotesque bruises and my wallet got stolen, so I've got no cash, ID, or metro pass, but it was soooo worth it.
I saw them most recently at a really nice theatre on campus, reserved seating. The first time, though, was pretty nuts. I hate crowds, so I stayed in back. Luckily there were big screens, so I could be in awe of Frank's fatness from a distance. I love how the guitar rests on his ample gut. Plus, he's the best rock vocalist ever. And I like Kim too.
-
I saw them most recently at a really nice theatre on campus, reserved seating. The first time, though, was pretty nuts. I hate crowds, so I stayed in back. Luckily there were big screens, so I could be in awe of Frank's fatness from a distance. I love how the guitar rests on his ample gut. Plus, he's the best rock vocalist ever. And I like Kim too.
Yeah, I knew Frank was short and puffy, but man, I didn't know he was that... rotund. I hadn't been a Kim fan before, grouping her in my mental category of bass-playing Kims with quasiannoying vocals that sorta bring down an awesome band*, but she totally won me over with her chainsmoking, momlike charm.
*that is to say, the category of her and Kim Gordon
-
Yeah, I knew Frank was short and puffy, but man, I didn't know he was that... rotund. I hadn't been a Kim fan before, grouping her in my mental category of bass-playing Kims with quasiannoying vocals that sorta bring down an awesome band*, but she totally won me over with her chainsmoking, momlike charm.
So I take it you're not a Breeders fan.
-
So I take it you're not a Breeders fan.
Was there much to be a fan of?
I only know a couple of bits of Breeders, but they didn't seem that interesting, and the one that did got overplayed to hell and back. Damn you Satan!
And I too am envious as hell. Damn you!
-
Aww, come on, man, "Driving On" is basically like the musical version hugging a cute girl who works in a bookstore.
-
I would like to add that I, too, like the Breeders. "Driving On" is what alt-country should sound like.
-
Aww, come on, man, "Driving On" is basically like the musical version hugging a cute girl who works in a bookstore.
OK. I shall check it out, as I don't have that track.
-
That's "Drivin' on 9 (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/14_drivin_on_9.mp3)".
/pedantry
-
pod is the superior alt-rock-chixor album since tanya donnely trumps the other deal sister.
-
That's "Drivin' on 9 (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/14_drivin_on_9.mp3)".
/pedantry
D'oh! Ya got me, Va.
-
That's "Drivin' on 9 (http://gotfreedom.net/stuff/14_drivin_on_9.mp3)".
/pedantry
OK. Wow. I love it.
I've never quite made up my mind on Deal's voice. I mean, with the Pixies fine, but this track has me convinced. The bass line reminds me of something but I cannot think what - a Cake track I think, somewhat unsurprisingly.*
But well, the whole folky style with the violins - always loved. Some of my favourite Mark Lanegan is the really folky stuff with fiddles and all.
And I see what you mean Bozack. It's quite a dream!
Aha. It's when the bass first comes in, that little riff, and it makes me think of the bass riff from Alienation's for the Rich. So not Cake but I figured it was close.
-
Saw them Sunday in Jersey at the Tweeter Center. My seats were actually better than I expected, and I thought they played an awesome show. A lot of the live stuff I had heard from this tour left me underwhelmed, so I was pleasantly suprised to hear them really rock it.
Memorable Moments:
Frank decided he was feeling "emotional" that night and so he played the first few songs acoustic
They played "Head On" twice in a row because Kim said she was in the wrong key the first time
I was wearing my green Ray hoodie and a cute member of the opposite sex recognized it, so we chatted about the comic and blogs for a little while
Vamos!
The encore of Debaser was also great
All-in-all I give it an "AAAA+++++++++ Would Do Business Again"
-
It's kinda cute that they apparently have a schtick that recurs throughout their various shows this tour: when I saw them they played Monkey Gone To Heaven twice, acoustic the second time.
Did Dave and Frank also throw the drumsticks back and forth? They did that here, and in Hull where most of my friends saw them.
And yeah, add me to the list of people completely won over by "Drivin' on 9".
-
They played "Palace of the Brine" twice at the show we saw.
EDIT: No they didn't, they played "Wave of Mutilation" twice. I don't know what I was thinking.
-
They played "Palace of the Brine" twice at the show we saw.
They didn't play that here in Salt Lake. I wasn't disappointed or anything, but I think a lot of people expected it.
-
They played "Palace of the Brine" twice at the show we saw.
They didn't play that here in Salt Lake. I wasn't disappointed or anything, but I think a lot of people expected it.
That's particularly disappointing, given that SLC radio played the hell out of that song when Trompe le Monde came out.
I keep reading this thread to remind myself what a dumb-ass I am for missing their nearest show in October....
-
Did Dave and Frank also throw the drumsticks back and forth? They did that here, and in Hull where most of my friends saw them.
No, Dave and Frank didn't throw them back and forth, but Dave threw a drumstick to Joey during one of the songs and Joey set up his guitar on a stand and started banging on the strings with it.
It's funny now hearing about how they have a routine where they'll play a song twice. I thought it sounded a little rehearsed, but I was just caught up in how much fun they seemed to be having up on stage. It really added a great deal to my enjoyment of the show to see that they were enjoying it as much if not more than the people in the audience.
Another funny moment was right before they played the encore Dave said that he had "hurt" his finger and asked the crowd whether they should play one more song or not. Everyone of course went nuts screaming at them to play anyway.
-
No, Dave and Frank didn't throw them back and forth, but Dave threw a drumstick to Joey during one of the songs and Joey set up his guitar on a stand and started banging on the strings with it.
They did that at the show we saw, too. Also, Joey set up some feedback going on his guitar, put it in a stand and danced around the stage while his guitar played itself.
-
No, Dave and Frank didn't throw them back and forth, but Dave threw a drumstick to Joey during one of the songs and Joey set up his guitar on a stand and started banging on the strings with it.
They did that at the show we saw, too. Also, Joey set up some feedback going on his guitar, put it in a stand and danced around the stage while his guitar played itself.
He did that for us, as well. And then he performed fellatio on Frank Black while his guitar got up and played the solo to Freebird. Unreal, man.
-
They played "Palace of the Brine" twice at the show we saw.
They didn't play that here in Salt Lake. I wasn't disappointed or anything, but I think a lot of people expected it.
That's particularly disappointing, given that SLC radio played the hell out of that song when Trompe le Monde came out.
I keep reading this thread to remind myself what a dumb-ass I am for missing their nearest show in October....
More disappointing was that they did not play Alec Eiffel. But they played all the other favorites, including an amazing Subbacultcha. Gouge Away was also particularly good, but that is my favorite so how can it not be? I was most amazed by my complete lack of disappointment at the shows in general. I went with high expectations, and they met and exceeded them at both shows. So yes...continue to kick yourself for missing them this time around.
-
I don't know if you guys already saw this, but Ticketmaster just released a bunch more tickets for the NYC shows. I'm so torn on whether to get tickets for the two farewell shows or not.....