The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Va on August 27, 2004, 02:04:48 pm

Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Va on August 27, 2004, 02:04:48 pm
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2004, 02:43:32 pm
Quote from: "Va"
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.

Don't you mean 12oz aluminum cans? I hate beer myself but I know people who swear by Guiness and Caffrey's in cans.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: andalucia on August 27, 2004, 02:48:17 pm
Yeah, and what about us forty-drinking vegans?
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: dr_gnx on August 27, 2004, 02:50:45 pm
Cans of Guiness have the little plastic widget (the thing that releases the CO2) in them, so they would be a bad idea to use as I don't think melted plastic and noxious fumes would go well with chicken.  There are lots of good beers that come in cans though.  Heineken, Sapporo and Fosters just to name a few.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Mantonio on August 27, 2004, 03:22:46 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Good beer is not necessary to cook up a tasty good chicken.  See, chickens don't really have much taste in booze, they're kinda the wino's of the avian world.


I thought the wino's were Pigeons.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Va on August 27, 2004, 03:35:56 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I hate beer myself but I know people who swear by Guiness and Caffrey's in cans.


I blanked out on Guiness for some reason when I wrote that comment, odd considering it is my favorite beer.  However...

Quote from: "dr_gnx"
Cans of Guiness have the little plastic widget (the thing that releases the CO2) in them, so they would be a bad idea to use as I don't think melted plastic and noxious fumes would go well with chicken.


Exactly.

Quote from: "dr_gnx"
There are lots of good beers that come in cans though.  Heineken, Sapporo and Fosters just to name a few.


I've not had Sapporo, but Foster's is hell of bland, and Heineken is Dutch Budweiser.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Gimpson on August 27, 2004, 03:53:37 pm
Quote from: "Va"
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.


I was actually just listening to a radio show yesterday that had as guests the president and brewmaster of Boulevard (http://www.blvdbeer.com/), an excellent KC based beer.  They said that there really isn't anything about the can that makes it worse than a bottle for beer storage, it's just that bottles are associated in our minds with Quality Beer.  If a brewer only wants to have one set of equipment, they'll choose bottles.

I have seen Shiner Bock (http://www.shiner.com/probock.html) in cans, but only in the area directly around Canyon Lake, where you wouldn't be able to take a bottle in the river.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: AugustWest on August 27, 2004, 05:05:54 pm
Quote from: "dr_gnx"
Cans of Guiness have the little plastic widget (the thing that releases the CO2) in them, so they would be a bad idea to use as I don't think melted plastic and noxious fumes would go well with chicken.  There are lots of good beers that come in cans though.  Heineken, Sapporo and Fosters just to name a few.



Mmmmm....noxious fumes....

/Homer
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Turbo Ninja on August 27, 2004, 06:02:37 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Va"
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.


I was actually just listening to a radio show yesterday that had as guests the president and brewmaster of Boulevard (http://www.blvdbeer.com/), an excellent KC based beer.  They said that there really isn't anything about the can that makes it worse than a bottle for beer storage, it's just that bottles are associated in our minds with Quality Beer.  If a brewer only wants to have one set of equipment, they'll choose bottles.

I have seen Shiner Bock (http://www.shiner.com/probock.html) in cans, but only in the area directly around Canyon Lake, where you wouldn't be able to take a bottle in the river.


You're more likely to find smaller brands using bottles because it's not too hard to put caps on bottles relative to putting beer into a can.  You can have a bottle capper in your basement, but you probably don't have room for a cannery.  Smaller brewers tend to have higher-quality beer (or at least the perception of having it), so there's another knock against a can's reputation.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: doomglobe on August 27, 2004, 06:42:38 pm
Quote from: "Va"
The main problem with this recipe is that there is no good beer that comes in aluminum cans.


not that beer bottle doesnt work, but you really dont want to be wasting good beer on this recipe. do you cook with really fine french wines? why cook with really good beers? I could see using a hopsy beer like an ipa if you were doing something that retained the liquid, such as beerbroth, beerbatter, or suds omelettes, but with the chicken, the beer doesnt really do much of the flavoring. you could probably get the same results using water.

I am with some person on the top about posting book only recipes online, but I guess its onstads call. the books are all about the personalizations anyway. onstad draws some cool little pictures/comics when he personalizes a book.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Gimpson on August 27, 2004, 06:44:29 pm
Quote from: "superock101"
You're more likely to find smaller brands using bottles because it's not too hard to put caps on bottles relative to putting beer into a can.  You can have a bottle capper in your basement, but you probably don't have room for a cannery.  Smaller brewers tend to have higher-quality beer (or at least the perception of having it), so there's another knock against a can's reputation.


Home brewing is a hobby I've thought about taking up, but have never taken the plunge.  I think I hold off mainly because of the distinctly mediocre quality of friends home brew I've tried.  I did have an excellent stout an uncle made once and bottled himself, but that is one good time vs. dozens of parites where a friend would bring a little container of his crappy ale and everyone would feel obligated to drink it rather than the perfectly good Guinness or Boulevard we brought ourselves.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2004, 06:50:18 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, and what about us forty-drinking vegans?


What's not to like about beer can tofurkey?

aparently everything
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: TALKYdude on August 27, 2004, 08:17:00 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "superock101"
You're more likely to find smaller brands using bottles because it's not too hard to put caps on bottles relative to putting beer into a can.  You can have a bottle capper in your basement, but you probably don't have room for a cannery.  Smaller brewers tend to have higher-quality beer (or at least the perception of having it), so there's another knock against a can's reputation.


Home brewing is a hobby I've thought about taking up, but have never taken the plunge.  I think I hold off mainly because of the distinctly mediocre quality of friends home brew I've tried.  I did have an excellent stout an uncle made once and bottled himself, but that is one good time vs. dozens of parites where a friend would bring a little container of his crappy ale and everyone would feel obligated to drink it rather than the perfectly good Guinness or Boulevard we brought ourselves.

I know what you mean. If you want to get really good at it and make stuff you can be proud of you'll want to ask around at local microbreweries and find out where and when the homebrewers' club meets and hang out with them to soak up The Knowledge. It won't do to make it out of a book, really-you'll end up with "my crappy friend's crappy beer that I crappy have to crappy drink". Once you're involved in a social aspect of it and feel like you have to impress other knowledgeable guys you'll get really good at it fast. They try each other's beers and critique and talk about what worked and what didn't then everyone comes back next week (or fortnight, or month) with their latest brew. Competitiveness, feedback and knowledge diffusion are key.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Va on August 27, 2004, 08:26:47 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
not that beer bottle doesnt work, but you really dont want to be wasting good beer on this recipe. do you cook with really fine french wines? why cook with really good beers?


I would not cook with any beer or wine that I would not be happy to drink on its own.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Gimpson on August 27, 2004, 08:46:14 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "doomglobe"
not that beer bottle doesnt work, but you really dont want to be wasting good beer on this recipe. do you cook with really fine french wines? why cook with really good beers?


I would not cook with any beer or wine that I would not be happy to drink on its own.


I must wholeheartedly disagree with this.  An old roommate of mine and I used to make bratwurst fairly often, and whoever did the shopping would make a point of getting a six pack of the worst, nastiest, cheapest beer they could find.  Four beers would pre-boil the brats, and we'd have to drink the other two.  

I think the worst I drank was Hamm's, but the brats were still good and tasty.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: CortJstr on August 27, 2004, 08:51:05 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I would not cook with any beer or wine that I would not be happy to drink on its own.

And I thought you were an Alton fan!

I DON'T EVEN KNOW YOU ANYMORE!

::runs to bedroom, slams door::
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Ben-San on August 27, 2004, 09:53:41 pm
Chef Tako (http://www.8legged.com) agrees: good beer is not necessary to good beer-can chicken.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Mantonio on August 28, 2004, 01:38:29 am
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "superock101"
You're more likely to find smaller brands using bottles because it's not too hard to put caps on bottles relative to putting beer into a can.  You can have a bottle capper in your basement, but you probably don't have room for a cannery.  Smaller brewers tend to have higher-quality beer (or at least the perception of having it), so there's another knock against a can's reputation.


Home brewing is a hobby I've thought about taking up, but have never taken the plunge.  I think I hold off mainly because of the distinctly mediocre quality of friends home brew I've tried.  I did have an excellent stout an uncle made once and bottled himself, but that is one good time vs. dozens of parites where a friend would bring a little container of his crappy ale and everyone would feel obligated to drink it rather than the perfectly good Guinness or Boulevard we brought ourselves.


Ah, Pat's Hot Slug Ale!  You should have this thing where you throw those beers away.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: AlohaDawg on August 28, 2004, 02:03:39 am
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "doomglobe"
not that beer bottle doesnt work, but you really dont want to be wasting good beer on this recipe. do you cook with really fine french wines? why cook with really good beers?


I would not cook with any beer or wine that I would not be happy to drink on its own.


I agree in principle here in that 'undrinkable' wine shouldn't be cooked with. But I wouldn't spend 40 dollars on wine and then cook with it either. It should be OK to drink, but it doesn't need to be the Shi-at.

Mostly I'm making sauces with wine. If the wine tastes shitty, the sauce tastes shitty, but the stock or glace you made is more important than the wine.  For beer can chicken, the same, you're basically boiling a bunch of flavorings and sending steam and essences up the chickens ass. I don't think the quality of the beer matters here, same with boiling the brats.

If you come to Hawaii there is this place called Pinky's close to the Marine Base in Kaneohe that makes a wicked good Beer Can Chicken.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: Choop on August 28, 2004, 04:36:32 am
Just as Emeril, Bobby Flay, Sarah Moulton, and Julia Child can, Alton can hold opinions entirely different from his fans. Me, for one. If an ingredient isn't worth it on its own, it won't be that good for cooking with.

Naturally, certain things like flour and curry are never good on their own, but that's where the exception proves the rule and provides the corollary: if it's good in several different recipes (curry) or when used in several different types of cooking (flour).

Try beer bread in two batches: one using Milwaukee's Best and the other using Harp, and you'll taste the difference.
Title: Beer Can Chicken
Post by: CortJstr on August 28, 2004, 02:48:44 pm
We're also talking about volumes. When Alton ads a couple quick shots of wine to tomato sauce to get the alcohol-soluble flavors he uses crap wine. But when he uses a bottle+ of beer for chili or giraffe and chips he uses his drinking beer.

As a person who drinks neither beer nor wine I like to know when I can use cheap crap.