The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: wombat on August 29, 2004, 05:42:09 pm
-
OK, my name is Wombat, and I'm a Bruceaholic.
I have this terrible strange problem lately that the only music I want to listen to is Bruce Springsteen. It's not Bruce in particular that's the problem, just the restriction to only one artist out of all the wonderfulness of the wide world of music. I am perfectly happy in a sick way, but I am just enough in touch with reality to realize that I am missing so much.
Has anyone ever had a similar problem? How were you cured? Or does this not seem like a big deal? Should I just figure it will run its course?
Maybe I should also mention that right now I am planning on applying for a job in Cape May, NJ, that I think I might really want, and I have this idea that I should keep on listening to Springsteen exclusively, as a sacrifice to the gods of the Jersey Shore. I'm sure if I just got that job, I could quit any time...
-
I can't help you with your problem, but maybe you could tell me what guy it is that Springsteen is writing about that I am.
How's that for syntax?
-
I thought we already knew that you were the fat man sitting on a little stool at the entrance to the Tunnel of Love, who takes the money and hands over the ticket and whispers "good luck."
But you, the Jeopardy winner, could definitely be the one who was working 'neath the wheel till you get your facts learned, and got your facts learned real good right now. Do you want to spit in the face of these badlands?
Or maybe you knew all that stuff because you found the key to the universe in the engine of an old parked car.
Oh lord, don't get me started.
-
Temporary musical addiction is nothing to be worried about. For a few years during college, when the summer months rolled around I would listen to nothing but Jimi Hendrix and Frank Zappa. When the leaves started turning, I would go back to normal listening habits. I also remember a few months in 1988 where I only listened to Prince.
A sudden crippling Springsteen fixation is no big deal. Roll around in Bruce for a while, it won't hurt you.
And as someone who grew up in New Jersey, I can tell you this: you will need have some familiarity with the Boss or you may be unable to get a driver's license.
-
i, too, go through phases wherein i listen to only 1 "thing" of music. "thing" may be artist, genre, label, whatever.
it passes. eventually i will stop.
-
I am glad to hear that this syndrome is not unheard of. And I think I understand now why it started with Bruce being the only thing I could listen to while driving.
After sending in that job application then, I will start studying for my New Jersey driver's exam.
Fill in the blank:
Knowledge of vehicles:
1. the skeleton frames of burned out ___
2. bruised arms and broken rhythm in a beat up old ___
3. crawl into my ____ your pulse is getting weak
4. barefoot girl sitting on the roof of a ____
Types of throughfares:
1. there's an opera out on the ____
2. sweat it out on the ____ of a runaway American dream
3. the _____'s jammed with broken heroes
4. we swore we'd live forever, on the ___
Multiple choice:
Proper ways to drive an automobile:
1. at night through mansions of glory
2. to case the promised land
3. roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair
4. all of the above
-
Chevrolet
Buick
ambulance
Dodge
Turnpike
streets
highway
backstreets
4
and I didn't even have my manual from the DMV handy.
-
I've gone through phases like this, although they tend to be fairly brief in nature -- I listened to The Spine on repeat with nothing else for a week, and now I'm carefully weaning myself off it. I sort of feel a Cake bender coming on, though.
-
I've gone through phases like this, although they tend to be fairly brief in nature -- I listened to The Spine on repeat with nothing else for a week, and now I'm carefully weaning myself off it. I sort of feel a Cake bender coming on, though.
Wouldn't it make more sense to hold off the Cake bender until the new Cake CD comes out in October?
-
I've gone through phases like this, although they tend to be fairly brief in nature -- I listened to The Spine on repeat with nothing else for a week, and now I'm carefully weaning myself off it. I sort of feel a Cake bender coming on, though.
Wouldn't it make more sense to hold off the Cake bender until the new Cake CD comes out in October?
You are a very wise man, CortJstr. Indeed I shall, and instead I will find something else to musically overdose on. Perhaps Thomas Dolby, as much of a loser as that would officially make me.
-
I definitely go on music kicks, especially when I find a new style with a whole new group of artists I know nothing about, and listen only to that for a while. I also have appallingly frequent Philip Glass kicks, i.e. currently.
-
I also have appallingly frequent Philip Glass kicks, i.e. currently.
I've started playing the Philip Glass soundtrack to Mishima lately. There was a commercial that aired frequently during the Olympics which featured the first track off that album, and it made me remember what a great album it is.
-
I have a terrible problem with that, but I think that it's related to my actual mental illness, bipolar disorder. Now that I'm on medications, it's gotten better, but I still go through periods where I get fixated on one type of food or one type of music.
-
Limmo is my new internet crush.
I wonder what the road test is like?
-
There was a commercial that aired frequently during the Olympics which featured the first track off that album, and it made me remember what a great album it is.
I'm not a watcher or Olympics, but that ad nearly made one of my Glass-obcessed friends cry. Selling out and all, I suppose.
-
Limmo is my new internet crush.
I wonder what the road test is like?
Right back atcha, Wombat. The road test? Hemi-powered drones may be involved, and if you wait to get caught at the Stanton light, you will lose points.
that ad nearly made one of my Glass-obcessed friends cry. Selling out and all, I suppose.
I'm encouraged that there are teenagers today so obsessed with Phillip Glass that they think he's selling out! I'm amazed anyone your age even knows who he is. Give your friend a Celexa and put Satyagraha on repeat, that should help.
-
I'm encouraged that there are teenagers today so obsessed with Phillip Glass that they think he's selling out! I'm amazed anyone your age even knows who he is.
Yeah, the strangest things caught on as trends within my pseudointellectual high-school group. On track with the obcessive listening-to of things topic of this thread, has anyone else been in a group that had very noticeable collective phases? Some of the ones I remember best are Philip Glass, Mahler's 4th Symphony, and The Doors of Perception. What a pretentious bunch.
-
It is ALL ABOUT Philip Glass. ALL about him.
-
I'm encouraged that there are teenagers today so obsessed with Phillip Glass that they think he's selling out! I'm amazed anyone your age even knows who he is.
Yeah, the strangest things caught on as trends within my pseudointellectual high-school group. On track with the obcessive listening-to of things topic of this thread, has anyone else been in a group that had very noticeable collective phases? Some of the ones I remember best are Philip Glass, Mahler's 4th Symphony, and The Doors of Perception. What a pretentious bunch.
I am in two Internet groups that tend to have weirdo collective phases. One involves Sylvia Plath, music by bands I have never heard of (Neutral Milk Hotel? The Dresden Dolls? SOMEONE HELP ME, I'M INSUFFICIENTLY HIP), and gulags (!). The other is more benign -- the occasional game/show fixation that runs its course and fits with the general zeitgeist of the place. So... yeah.
-
I am in two Internet groups that tend to have weirdo collective phases. One involves Sylvia Plath, music by bands I have never heard of (Neutral Milk Hotel? The Dresden Dolls? SOMEONE HELP ME, I'M INSUFFICIENTLY HIP), and gulags (!). The other is more benign -- the occasional game/show fixation that runs its course and fits with the general zeitgeist of the place. So... yeah.
Man, you do not need to be hip to be into Neutral Milk Hotel: they have been a band that I have found to have a weird Ramones-like universal appeal. Pretty much everyone is into them, some people just don't know it yet.
-
Wouldn't it make more sense to hold off the Cake bender until the new Cake CD comes out in October?
OK. I only ended up here as I was going to mention that I had just had an urge to listen to Asbury Park, NJ again, as I think it (and as I hazily recall the followup too) is a fantastic album. It was the Boss at the height of his storytelling and music writing in my opinion... He got indulgent, the eighties happened after that!
But anyway, I had totally missed that there was a confirmed new Cake album happening, but was revelling in Comfort Eagle just yesterday and trying to find news of such a thing. Fantastic.
Anyway, that is all...
I'm just desperately procrastinating the continuation of a job application!
-
On the subject of weird musical fixations: I've been spending pretty much a solid week listening to "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner." I'm almost certain this is really, really unhealthy.
-
I've been a Modest penis addict since 99. Five years. Five years of not really wanting to listen to much else cuz i'm not gonna get my fix.
I know not of a cure.
-
I know not of a cure.
Listen to their newest album.
-
Yeah, that comment may actually have been worth delurking to make. I wholeheartedly agree.
-
I know not of a cure.
Listen to their newest album.
Zing!!!
-
I know not of a cure.
Listen to their newest album.
I actually think the first half of that album is damn good. as pop as fuck for MM, but good. i can't say the same about the second half. there are some songs on there that i can't help but skip over.
-
I just felt it was a step backwards for them. I got really stuck on The Lonesome Crowded West for the longest time, I thought that no album could rock as hard as that one did. Then I really started to listen to The Moon and Antarctica and I loved how mellow and introspective it was. That CD really has a lot of depth. Then when I heard Good News For People Who Love Bad News for the first time my immediate reaction was how they went back to their roots but without the character and originality that Lonesome had.
I dunno, maybe I should give their newest stuff more of a chance. It might start to grow on me. God knows many of my first impressions of great CD's have been wrong as fuck (Big Black is a recent example of this. I started to listen to their stuff again after being turned off initially and have actually liked it)
-
(Big Black is a recent example of this. I started to listen to their stuff again after being turned off initially and have actually liked it)
This is actually a result of Big Black rocking your mom.
-
I just felt it was a step backwards for them. I got really stuck on The Lonesome Crowded West for the longest time, I thought that no album could rock as hard as that one did. Then I really started to listen to The Moon and Antarctica and I loved how mellow and introspective it was. That CD really has a lot of depth. Then when I heard Good News For People Who Love Bad News for the first time my immediate reaction was how they went back to their roots but without the character and originality that Lonesome had.
I dunno, maybe I should give their newest stuff more of a chance. It might start to grow on me. God knows many of my first impressions of great CD's have been wrong as fuck (Big Black is a recent example of this. I started to listen to their stuff again after being turned off initially and have actually liked it)
well, people grow up and change and shit. when i first got a pirate copy of m&a (i'm from the northwest, and this place is pretty little, like, isaac is a friend of a friend, so i got it a few months before it came out, and yes i am trying so hard to be cool...) i was all shock and awe about how produced and digital it sounded. it took a month or so to really get past that and give it a real listen. at that point i did a thing such as falling in love.. same situation with GNFPWLBN; i was put off at first and grew to love it, or at least the first half. i dunno, i think MM will top my list for a long time.
'stad is a close second.
-
This is actually a result of Big Black rocking your mom.
They really really do. The only CD I have of theirs is Songs About fuck*ng but I like it more with every listen. I love Ministry and I can see how Jourgensen basically just picked up where this CD left off, although I think Big Black's lyrics are a little better (not that I think Ministy's lyrics are lacking, I just think Albini is a little wittier). I think if "Power of Independant Trucking" was somehow magically inserted into The Land of Rape and Honey I wouldn't bat an eye.
Heh, I feel kinda bad about dragging this thread off-topic without adding anything, so let me just say that I get stuck on a certain band all the time. I'll play their music everywhere I go, and if I'm not listening to them at a given time I find myself humming their tunes, mumbling their lyrics, and annoying my friends with trivia about said band.
Let's see, the bands I've gotten stuck on lately: Morrissey (Saw him in New Jersey a couple weeks ago and he was awesome!) which followed my Joy Division phase. This came after a huge Beatles kick; before that I only listened to Modest penis for about two years, and prior to that I was a Pixies obssesor/evangalist.
-
I'm fairly much allowing this thread to wander freely, as it is really only about fixations... Splitting it at any point would make whichever became the first post fairly nonsensical.
I keep meaning to get the last Ministry album, which people have said is the best since Psalm 69 (my favourite), partly thanks to Jourgensen's return. That being said, I finally got round to checking out the last Skinny Puppy album (The Greater Wrong of the Right) and within 3 days proclaimed it album of the year, so I'm giving Houses of the Mole (I can't be bothered finding out which accent it is over the 'e') some time for the competition to wain.
Although, on the subject of fixations, I have listened to Pressure Chief a fairly insane number of times. But then my friend has it on at work fairly continuously too.
-
I'm still a "Mind Is A Terrible Thing to Taste" kinda guy.
I mean, "So What" is about the perfect pastiche song.
-
More on how cool i am:
The girl who is on the phone in "dream song" dated my friends uncle. she is very nice if a little odd.
-
i would say give good news for people a little more time.
i must confess i don't recall ever hearing a big black song, yet have heard of big black a lot. which re-reading my modest penis thread first post, describes my knowledge of modest penis several months ago.
i remember liking ministry circa jesus built my hot rod, but that was when i thought that metallica's black album was the shiznitz's bee's knees.
later i found skinny puppy, and didn't like ministry so much anymore. not that they were suddenly "less good" objectively, just that i liked skinny puppy more. of course, i found front 242 in between ministry and skinny puppy, and i guess i like rock in my industrial more than i like industrial in my rock. of course i'm relistening to filter albums currently, so wtf.
i've been in a relistening mood the past month or so, combined with listening to things off of fluxblog and music for *****s.
the radio has hit bottom again for me, and i do not yearn for the next new thing anymore. i repeated franz ferdinand's for a couple of days, and it just grew less and less on me.
and i'm at a point in my life, i suppose, that i'm not saying "it's all crap, it's all just crap" so much as i'm realizing "i don't care, i just don't care about it" and i just enjoy the stuff i enjoy and i'm not into finding new stuff to enjoy so much as i used to.
i've had 3 of luna's "newer" cd's on rotation in the car, though, and i've noticed i've been more "down" lately. maybe it's the weather, or maybe it's that wareham is channeling some ancient power.
i guess what i'm saying is i want to become the new dr. frankenstein of rock, and create, willy-nilly and shaking-fist-against-the-gods, new super groups.
let me take dean wareham, j. robbins, les claypool and jean-paul gaster for a week, and i shall take over the world.
-
i've had 3 of luna's "newer" cd's on rotation in the car, though, and i've noticed i've been more "down" lately. maybe it's the weather, or maybe it's that wareham is channeling some ancient power.
Ooh, indeed. I had the chance to see Galaxie 500 play a reunion show a few weeks ago, but I was broke, and it was at 2AM (after the metros stop, so I'd have had to walk home) in the opposite end of the city from where I live. Even so, it was difficult to convince myself not to go, just on account of Dean Wareham Is A God.
Right now the two things I cannot stop listening to are the second Polyphonic Spree album and Miles Davis, especially Kind of Blue. But I don't mind, those are both fairly pleasant addictions.
-
of course, i found front 242 in between ministry and skinny puppy, and i guess i like rock in my industrial more than i like industrial in my rock.
Still not gotten round to checking out Front 242. I just associate them in my head with Apartment 26, who were, well, just not as cool as Pitchshifter (were...).
While I listen to a ridiculous variety of music, I always seem to come back to industrial. Be that Puppy, NIN, cEvin Key, Ministry... I'm probably quite fussy though, as I hate most of the typically industrial stuff that comprised the non NIN/Cure stuff on the Crow Soundtrack (My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult and shit like that that always just bored me).
I do recommend checking out Dragon Experience by cEvin Key. It's a bunch of stuff he was working on in 84-85, but never used. It doesn't sound dated though, as he spent time to bring it all together. It's not rock industrial, more ambient, but I would rate it in my top five of 2003 I think.
Oh, and... The other thing to check out is Tweaker (http://www.tweaker.net) if you haven't... Vrenna who used to drum for NIN, and Clint Walsh who was in Jack off Jill, with a group of guest singers on 2am wakeup call including Robert Smith, Will Oldham, David Sylvian and Jennifer Charles among others. I have come to believe that it's an acquired taste (first albm slightly more so, as it was altogether stranger, but in some ways more fantastic) since my brother and I are the only non internet people I know who like it.
I forgot, 2am also features Johnny Marr...!??!?!?...?!... Great track though.
-
Still not gotten round to checking out Front 242. I just associate them in my head with Apartment 26, who were, well, just not as cool as Pitchshifter (were...).
you _need_ to check out front 242. the twin albums from 1993 are, perhaps, the greatest thing ever.
prior to those, the have some very good albums. relistening to them last year, i immediately thought "hmm, these are dated." then i put them on on some good speakers, and realized how not dated they are, and how amazingly they were produced for the time period.
the newest stuff is quite yummy as well, but definitely different.
i have no idea who Apartment 26 are.
While I listen to a ridiculous variety of music, I always seem to come back to industrial. Be that Puppy, NIN, cEvin Key, Ministry... I'm probably quite fussy though, as I hate most of the typically industrial stuff that comprised the non NIN/Cure stuff on the Crow Soundtrack (My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult and shit like that that always just bored me).
I do recommend checking out Dragon Experience by cEvin Key. It's a bunch of stuff he was working on in 84-85, but never used. It doesn't sound dated though, as he spent time to bring it all together. It's not rock industrial, more ambient, but I would rate it in my top five of 2003 I think.
Oh, and... The other thing to check out is Tweaker (http://www.tweaker.net) if you haven't... Vrenna who used to drum for NIN, and Clint Walsh who was in Jack off Jill, with a group of guest singers on 2am wakeup call including Robert Smith, Will Oldham, David Sylvian and Jennifer Charles among others. I have come to believe that it's an acquired taste (first albm slightly more so, as it was altogether stranger, but in some ways more fantastic) since my brother and I are the only non internet people I know who like it.
I forgot, 2am also features Johnny Marr...!??!?!?...?!... Great track though.
johnny marr was once in a band called, i believe, "electronica". it was "meh".
i will attempt to check out these other things you speak of.
-
tweaker- yummy. thank you for the link. love it when bands put lots of downloadables up.