The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: PinkStainlessTail on August 08, 2003, 07:58:14 pm
-
Is it just me, or did that strip become unreadable in the past year? It was always text heavy and had rather long/convoluted storylines, but "Kitten 2" and the bit with the house going into another dimension just seemed interminable, unfunny and really boring ( to the point that I quit reading the strip a few months ago). It's kinda sad, because I thought "Fire and Rain" (while full of flaws) was an interesting step in a new direction, but the promise was never really borne out. Thoughts?
(Sorry if this is wayyyy too specific to one particular strip, but it's been on my mind and the Sluggy boards aren't exactly open to dissent in my experience...)
-
I have to agree. "Kitten 2" was a not-particularly-funny idea that dragged on way, way too long, and while the strip had some bright spots since then, it kept to a baseline of being neither particularly funny nor particularly interesting. For one thing, Torg appears to have gone the way of Homer Simpson, somehow changing from "a little clueless but good-hearted and sympathetic" to "stupid, annoying as all hell, and usually on center stage."
Honestly, I think the downturn began at the end of the "Dangerous Days Ahead" storyline, where the 'ending' was more or less "nothing important happened! Let's return to the status quo of several years ago and now earnestly pretend that we never had a serious arc!"
I haven't read Sluggy since May, personally. I'm hoping it picks up when I pick it back up in the fall.
-
I also have drifted from reading sluggy... it was actually the first online comic that I checked every day. And it was at about the same time for me when I started to lose interest, it sounds kinda stupid to say, but it involved too much reading.
-
Me, too, also. I still read daily, more out of habit than anything. Sadly, I've found Kevin & Kell more compelling lately. And I do skip Saturdays altogether -- the Dimension of Pain is just too...ridiculous. Honestly, I think Pete wrote himself into a corner, and I hope he's going to ease off the crazy pills a little now. We'll see.
-
Me, too, also. I still read daily, more out of habit than anything. Sadly, I've found Kevin & Kell more compelling lately.
The day in which Sluggy is less compelling than Kevin & Kell is a sad, sad day indeed.
And yes, the Dimension of Pain stuff just went too stupid too fast. It doesn't help that he has the "Bruno the Bandit" guy doing it, and he seems to be duplicating "Bruno"'s mad dash into outright sucking hard. Sigh...
-
I would say that lately it has been getting back to its roots a little. The last few plotlines have been too epic for their own good and Pete seemed to be unable to complete them without pages and pages of written exposition. I think that Fire and Rain was the last time he handled a long storyline and just let the story speak for itself.