The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: andalucia on September 01, 2004, 11:34:57 am

Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 01, 2004, 11:34:57 am
Ouch, I suppose.
I've managed to keep from being all that emotionally invested in this story arc, but still, it's a well-written strip.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: slink on September 01, 2004, 12:13:29 pm
While this was hella funny, and damn well written, it does end on kind of a scary note.
Damn him!
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 01, 2004, 12:52:23 pm
Yeah, I've been really trying to keep the faith in this relationship.  It's not looking good, though.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on September 01, 2004, 01:02:24 pm
Is Molly finally going to become an interesting character? Or is someone just going to die again?
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 01, 2004, 01:04:16 pm
Oh Beef, must you be such a douche.  You are going to lose this lady and then you'll be sadder than ever.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: CortJstr on September 01, 2004, 01:09:12 pm
He did a really good job of making Molly look tired.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: arkabee on September 01, 2004, 01:37:06 pm
if molly get's so upset with beef over this that she leaves him, then he is better off without her.  and she him.

i mean, who hasn't been woken up @ 3AM with a body part poking you in the ribs and been told "yer snoring/breathing/moving/on myside/ asleep" and that you need to "stop snoring/stop breathig on me/ get back on your side/ give me back some blanket/ stay awake until i get to sleep while rubbing my back".

and, who hasn't responded with "mdfhfjsdfhj??msdfjksfieohg???? what? oh, ok, sex?"

and, who hasn't gotten someone really mad at them doing so?

i mean, hello, LCD people, where are you??
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: wombat on September 01, 2004, 01:58:28 pm
Why doesn't love conquer all?

Sigh.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: sjlimmer on September 01, 2004, 02:01:51 pm
Quote from: "Molly"
It can't be good for you to breathe that way all night.


This is the most pathetic excuse I have ever seen.  At least have the decency to admit that his snoring was keeping you up and annoying the ever-living shit out of you.

Of course, I may be biased.  I had an ex who would elbow me in the ribs if my snoring woke her up.

Love the alt-text though.  Mmm, midnight breath....
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Va on September 01, 2004, 02:13:11 pm
Wow, that bitch Molly, wanting to be able to sleep. :roll:

And actually, no, it is not bullshit that snoring can be harmful to the snorer.  Even if the snorer is not fully awakened by their gasping and snorting like their hapless bed-mates, the snoring does partially arouse them, disturbing their sleep, preventing them from getting as much deep sleep as they need.  Some snorers stop breathing (sleep apnea (http://www.sleepapnea.org/geninfo.html#defined)) which can cause dangerous increases in blood pressure, among other things.

If you don't have enough to consideration to care if you're keeping your bed-partner awake with your snoring, if you can't even be bothered to roll the fuck over, you don't deserve to share a bed with that person, and probably won't for long.

My husband snores like a fuck*ng Mack truck.  Right now, earplugs conquer all, but I don't know what I'm going to do when the baby comes and I can't wear them anymore.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: jough on September 01, 2004, 06:32:49 pm
Why can't you wear earplugs after having a baby?  Will giving birth damage your ears in some way?  Will the baby come out of your ears?

Anyway, this is SO LIKE A WOMAN to couch her bitching in terms pretending that she actually cares about her man when in fact she only cares about not being annoyed by his snoring.  

FUCK YOU, MOLLY
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 01, 2004, 06:41:25 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Why can't you wear earplugs after having a baby?  Will giving birth damage your ears in some way?  Will the baby come out of your ears?


You won't hear the baby sneaking up on you with a big-ass hammer.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: wombat on September 01, 2004, 07:09:51 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "jough"
Why can't you wear earplugs after having a baby?  Will giving birth damage your ears in some way?  Will the baby come out of your ears?


You won't hear the baby sneaking up on you with a big-ass hammer.


Va is carrying the love child of Nice Pete!  Pass it on!
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: revdj on September 01, 2004, 07:21:06 pm
Both my Lady and I snore.

I feel bad for our eventual child.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: jough on September 01, 2004, 07:27:44 pm
A couple cc's of morphine will put that baby out all night.

Of course, a canister of nitrous oxide will probably be cheaper in the long run.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 01, 2004, 07:49:35 pm
I am less inclined to believe that this is a big harbinger of things to come than just... well... the kind of argument you have when both parties are sleepy and in over-close quarters, the kind of argument that sounds virulent and sometimes involves very realistic-sounding threats of leaving but doesn't stick in the morning once everyone is rested and not sharing a combined ten total feet of space.

Also, I get the feeling Beef is going to apologie. Not that he shouldn't -- he was sort of the vector of all this madness -- but he probably will, and I'm glad for it.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Va on September 01, 2004, 08:05:06 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Why can't you wear earplugs after having a baby?  Will giving birth damage your ears in some way?  Will the baby come out of your ears?


I'm going to pretend you're serious and actually answer that question.  Because I need to be able to hear if my baby is distressed in the night.  DUH!
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: jough on September 01, 2004, 10:05:44 pm
Again, after you sedate the child with ether, morphine, nitrous, etc., it won't make a peep, and will wake up at a more reasonable time refreshed and ready to please!

I can't believe how reticent parents are to do what's right for their families.  Sedate your children: it's better for YOU, it's better for THEM.

AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE!
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: TALKYdude on September 01, 2004, 10:07:48 pm
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby (http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000372.php).
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 01, 2004, 10:09:51 pm
I was at a party once, and the host was talking to some of his male friends when he mentions that, when the hostess (his wife) would go out for the evening and leave him the kids, he would knock them out with benadryl.

I distinctly remember that look on his face when we all turned around to see who shouted YOU WHAT??!! 3 feet behind us.

That was some funny shit.

On a related note, our pediatrician told us that it was actually OK to do this for plane trips and times and a few other rare occasions.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Limmo on September 01, 2004, 10:41:26 pm
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby (http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000372.php).


Yes, you certainly should.  And do it sooner rather than later - my wife and I went through a lot of unpleasant nights because we waited.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 02, 2004, 12:59:16 am
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby (http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000372.php).


Yes, you certainly should.  And do it sooner rather than later - my wife and I went through a lot of unpleasant nights because we waited.


I'm still sort of surprised that "Ferberizing the baby" turned out to be something on-topic and reasonably good-sounding to do regarding a baby. I guess I can't say I'm disappointed in the thread, but I didn't expect it.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 02, 2004, 01:11:43 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm still sort of surprised that "Ferberizing the baby" turned out to be something on-topic and reasonably good-sounding to do regarding a baby. I guess I can't say I'm disappointed in the thread, but I didn't expect it.


That was precisely my reaction as well.  For some reason, the idea the term presented to me was something like Scotchguarding.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 02, 2004, 01:15:13 am
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby (http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000372.php).


Oddly enough, that's just what I always did. If she was fed, warm, and dry then there was nothing else to do but help her learn that she's OK and we're there when she needs us. It's tough to listen to at the beginning but it's worth it.

Other things we did include: vacuuming, talking in normal tones, and doing other life-type things around the baby all the time. Tiptoeing around the baby and all that only gets you a kid hypersensitive to all sounds.

Nothing annoys me more than watching parents intentionally train kids to be wussies.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2004, 01:27:28 am
I guess we instinctively Ferberized our kids.  We didn't know there was a dang name for it.  Our kids were great sleepers, both slept through the night by six months or so.

Also, I will confess to having done the Benadryl thing to knock the kids (and myself) out.  But only when they've had colds.  Benadryl works like a charm on me.  I go to sleep faster and deeper than if I was hit in the cranial region with a sledgehammer made out of nine pounds of Valium.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2004, 01:28:25 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm still sort of surprised that "Ferberizing the baby" turned out to be something on-topic and reasonably good-sounding to do regarding a baby. I guess I can't say I'm disappointed in the thread, but I didn't expect it.


That was precisely my reaction as well.  For some reason, the idea the term presented to me was something like Scotchguarding.


One-hour Martinizing?
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 02, 2004, 01:33:02 am
I was thinking 'Osterizing' or "Blenderizing'. But now I'll get some shit about eating babies again.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Va on September 02, 2004, 02:56:54 pm
Quote from: "TALKYdude"
Va, you might like to Ferberize your baby (http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000372.php).


Never, never, never, never, NEVER.  You do NOT want to know what I think of "Ferberizing" babies.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2004, 03:04:01 pm
First child?
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Va on September 02, 2004, 03:05:56 pm
First of many, hopefully.

Please don't start this fight, AugustWest.  Nothing good will come of it.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2004, 03:41:04 pm
Sorry, that was snippier than I intended.  I have physical plane issues and was probably venting a little.

My point is just this, while letting your baby cry for a little while may seem cruel, it isn't necessarily so.  First and foremost is the child's safety.  We learned quickly how to distinguish cries.  Pain/wet/hungry/in danger sound subtly different from each other.  Come pick me up cause I don't want to go to sleep is also identifable (or was so for us).
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Va on September 02, 2004, 03:49:05 pm
Well, August, I think my child will have emotional as well as physical needs, and I intend to minister to both.  If she's crying, she needs something, and I will never ignore it.  Since I intend to babywear (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051100.asp) and co-sleep (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp), I don't think it will end up being much of an issue, since I'll pretty much always be holding her.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2004, 03:54:00 pm
Best of luck to you.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Limmo on September 02, 2004, 03:57:45 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Best of luck to you.


Seconded.  You'll start getting some sleep roughly around 2007 or so.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2004, 04:04:12 pm
I wasn't trying to be snide.  Parenting is a very personal and individual thing and everyone should proceed in the way they think best.  I wouldn't malign someone for making reasonable choices in this area or pretend that my method is the only valid one.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Va on September 02, 2004, 04:19:53 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Seconded.  You'll start getting some sleep roughly around 2007 or so.


See, now that sounds just ludicrous to me, Limmo.  What's more disturbing to my and my husband's sleep:

waking up to a screaming, angry, ravenous baby, rushing into another room, calming her down so she can eat, then finally getting to the nursing, and then getting her back to sleep in a crib, before I schlep back to my own bed, fully awake to hopefully get back to sleep for a little while before she needs to eat again

OR

waking up a few seconds before my baby starts rooting, sticking a breast in her mouth, and drifting back to sleep, my hubby all the time blissfully slumbering?

Frankly, I can't understand why any breastfeeding mother would want to go through all that crap.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Limmo on September 02, 2004, 04:57:53 pm
Quote from: "va"
stuff about breastfeeding


Our experience was different, in that my wife was only able to breastfeed for the first three weeks of Audrey's life.  After that, it was bottles.  

At a certain point, it's time to stop eating in the middle of the night.  The Ferber method is a fairly quick and mostly painless way to make that happen.  It isn't easy at first, but the results speak for themselves. it's better than having an entire family of sleep-deprived people who are cranky and more susceptible to illness.  IMHO.

I didn't mean to fire up a debate about parenting methods on a fan website for cartoon stuffed animals. That's about as useful as, I don't know, attempting to change Republican minds by going to their convention and burning big paper dragons.

Just do what you're going to do, and I sincerely wish you and yours well in whatever choice you make.  Except if you name your kid Nice Pete.  Then I will have to put my foot down.  

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Parenting is a very personal and individual thing and everyone should proceed in the way they think best. I wouldn't malign someone for making reasonable choices in this area or pretend that my method is the only valid one.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Va on September 02, 2004, 05:21:41 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Our experience was different, in that my wife was only able to breastfeed for the first three weeks of Audrey's life.  After that, it was bottles.


Audrey, beautiful name!  I anticipate I'll be breastfeeding for quite a while.

Quote from: "Limmo"
At a certain point, it's time to stop eating in the middle of the night.


Yes, and my daughter will show when that time comes.

Quote from: "Limmo"
The Ferber method is a fairly quick and mostly painless way to make that happen.


Painless for whom?  That's all I'm sayin'.  And I won't say another word.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: arkabee on September 02, 2004, 05:27:02 pm
i had a cat once.  he showed up on the doorstep.
from personal anecdotal experience, then, i'd say don't have babies, just wait for a grown child to show up on your doorstep!
and make sure you have a litter box!

and, vote for jough!

and, to get back to the comic, at least beef didn't wake up being smothered by a pillow:
"mmmmmmmfffff!"
"you were breathing on me again."
"mmfffffffmmmmffffff!!"
"it's stinky breath."
"mmmmm"
"well, don't breath on me and i won't smother you."
[1]

[1] note: this is MY interpretation of the events.  i'm sure her interpretation was something like:
"it can't be healthy for him to breath on people while he sleeps.  why, if he keeps doing it, he could end up smothered to death with a pillow! it's for his own good!"[2]

[2] sometimes footnoting is ludicrous.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Limmo on September 02, 2004, 05:30:52 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Painless for whom?  That's all I'm sayin'.  And I won't say another word.


I should have boldfaced the word "mostly."  The first night is horrible for all three parties involved.  The second night is less horrible for all three parties.  The third night is horrible for a minute or two.  Every night after that is peachy damn keen, because all three parties are getting a good night's sleep.  

Quote from: "Va"
I anticipate I'll be breastfeeding for quite a while.


Don't anticipate anything.  Just take what you get and love every minute of it, because DAMN it goes fast.  Seems like yesterday she was this little thing that had to sleep between big hair curlers so she wouldn't roll over, now she's running around turning light switches on and off.

And now I won't say another word about this, either.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2004, 05:38:24 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Just take what you get and love every minute of it, because DAMN it goes fast.  Seems like yesterday she was this little thing that had to sleep between big hair curlers so she wouldn't roll over, now she's running around turning light switches on and off.


My first baby starts high school in a year. HIGH SCHOOL!!!
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: Limmo on September 02, 2004, 05:45:32 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
My first baby starts high school in a year. HIGH SCHOOL!!!


I don't even want to think about 'dree starting high school.  I'm buying a chain-link fence and a shotgun.
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: jough on September 02, 2004, 06:44:31 pm
Va, I just hope you don't have a boy.  Because if you molly-coddle him he will be a pansy, and the other, stronger kids will sense this and will beat him up, take his lunch money, ##### him, and otherwise humiliate him and make his life a living hell for about 14 years (assuming preschool).

Why put your child through a lifetime of emotional scarring that can be so easily prevented by not sissifying him at an early age?

AND DON'T FORGET TO VOTE
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 02, 2004, 07:16:58 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Limmo"
Just take what you get and love every minute of it, because DAMN it goes fast.  Seems like yesterday she was this little thing that had to sleep between big hair curlers so she wouldn't roll over, now she's running around turning light switches on and off.


My first baby starts high school in a year. HIGH SCHOOL!!!

Wow. I now feel terrifyingly young.

Best of luck to everybody, whether Ferberizing is involved or not. (The only "kid starting high school" tip I have, August, is that you should make sure that she figures out where everything basic in the school is -- her classrooms, the restrooms, the library, the cafeteria -- before school actually starts. My high-school orientation did not involve a complete tour or telling us where the cafeteria was, which made the first few days horrible, if hilarious in retrospect.)
Title: Serrrrve! - sep. the first, 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 08, 2004, 07:26:49 pm
My daughter is 5; my son (I think) is T-minus 22 weeks. August and Limmo are articulating perfectly exactly how we took care of 'Becca and will with JJ. (if that winds up being his name).

What I've found is that everyone who tried to plan out every detail of how they are going to handle a competely foreign and unique situation is that eventually, you fall back to instinct and instinct is usually right.

We basically went with what seemed right, ignored the prattling of the old and especially that of our childless contemporaries and raised a really smart, sweet, and well adjusted child (with a high degree of independence and self-motivation) who just started kindergarten.

So what I'm saying to all y'all expecting your first child is, meet their needs and provide your child with a normal living environment with normal expectations for 'intervention'. They learn best experientially (and so do parents) and you'll be surprised at how good you are at this when you relax and let nature do it's thing.