The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on September 02, 2004, 12:38:02 pm

Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 02, 2004, 12:38:02 pm
A big ol' vodka taste test. (http://slate.msn.com/id/2106004/)

We actually did one of these at a party a few years ago.  My wife had confessed to a vodka-loving friend that she liked Absolut and Hawaiian Punch.  The friend showed up to our party with a half-dozen bottles of vodka, and had us try them individually, chilled, straight up.  I believe the winner was Grey Goose (of the high-end vodkas they have listed in this article, I think the only other one we had was Chopin, which we liked very much).  Not surprisingly, mass-market brands like Absolut and Skyy are revealed to be teh suk when tasted side-by-side like this.

Still, my vodka drink of choice is Stoli Vanilla out of the freezer, straight up, with three coffee beans floated in it.  So damn good.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: andalucia on September 02, 2004, 12:54:11 pm
Man, when I think of drinking vodka, I think of pulling a mickey of Smirnoff out of my messenger bag and re-filling my plastic skull-decorated goblet as my friends and I hide in the bushes from some cops.
This is why I do not often get invited to cocktail parties and stuff.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: Va on September 02, 2004, 02:50:34 pm
I voted "cheap and potent" because the only time I drink vodka is in Cosmopolitans, and there's no point in getting expensive liquor in fruity mixed drinks.  Now gin, that's another matter.  Bombay Sapphire and tonic, mmmm.  I'm definitely going to have one of those to celebrate after my baby gets her first nursing session.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: Limmo on September 02, 2004, 04:01:44 pm
When we get crunky around here ( once every few years ), we make Spiders.  Equal parts Stoli Vanil and Canada Dry ginger ale, with a little grenadine for color.  So sweet and yet so debilitating.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: arkabee on September 02, 2004, 05:31:50 pm
since we're talking recipes...

a friend/mentor in college, he who got me hooked on: coffee, front 242, and being too cool for school, came up with what seemed like the best drink name ever:

conscious through the pain.
it was coffee, vodka, and something.  i don't remember what, but i'm sure it wasn't important.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: side_show on September 02, 2004, 05:43:25 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, when I think of drinking vodka, I think of pulling a mickey of Smirnoff out of my messenger bag and re-filling my plastic skull-decorated goblet as my friends and I hide in the bushes from some cops.
This is why I do not often get invited to cocktail parties and stuff.


I was all about the Smirnoff, my first drink as a teen was totally the screwdriver - cause if you're filling your body with poisen you might as well get a little vitamin C, right?

So does Smirnoff fall into the cheap catagory?  It's middle of the road when it comes to price, so I don't really think about it as totally trashy, yet certainly andalucia's and some of my own drink-til-you-can't remember super trashy stories evolve around Smirnoff.  I haven't voted yet, cause I'm not sure where the Smirnoff falls.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: andalucia on September 02, 2004, 05:50:38 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
So does Smirnoff fall into the cheap catagory?  It's middle of the road when it comes to price, so I don't really think about it as totally trashy, yet certainly andalucia's and some of my own drink-til-you-can't remember super trashy stories evolve around Smirnoff.  I haven't voted yet, cause I'm not sure where the Smirnoff falls.


Yeah, it was the cheapest vodka available where I bought my booze in high school, but since I would have gotten whatever was cheapest I voted for that option.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: Choop on September 02, 2004, 06:30:11 pm
Just try a vodka mojito and tell me it's not superior to a rum mojito. Try it.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: jough on September 02, 2004, 06:37:13 pm
Has anyone tried Level yet?  It's not my favourite, but it's been all I've been drinking lately.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: V-Adore on September 02, 2004, 07:29:06 pm
I should probably be taking notes from this thread in anticipation of my 21st birthday, which is in twenty days now.

The Spiders sound pretty good, but I suspect I would have to have one, maybe two.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: andalucia on September 02, 2004, 08:26:34 pm
Congratulations, V-  I too am nearing the legal drinking age in my part of the world.  It's a joyous time indeed.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: Va on September 08, 2004, 03:24:50 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I should probably be taking notes from this thread in anticipation of my 21st birthday, which is in twenty days now.

The Spiders sound pretty good, but I suspect I would have to have one, maybe two.


Quote from: "andalucia"
Congratulations, V- I too am nearing the legal drinking age in my part of the world. It's a joyous time indeed.


Awwwww, isn't that cute.  Also, I am old.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: jough on September 08, 2004, 04:23:22 pm
Yeah, the novelty of drinking gets old fast, kids.  Right now it's the forbidden fruit - eventually it's just liver damage and waking up next to some troll.
Title: Mmmmmmmmmmmm... vodka
Post by: arkabee on September 08, 2004, 05:42:30 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, the novelty of drinking gets old fast, kids.  Right now it's the forbidden fruit - eventually it's just liver damage and waking up next to some troll.


ps- don't forget the moment it hits you and you say to yourself "oh my dear god what the hell have i done with my life?".

or is that just me?