The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on September 02, 2004, 01:11:55 pm

Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: CortJstr on September 02, 2004, 01:11:55 pm
Okay, which one of you loons out there is naming your offspring after Achewood characters? People considering video game tattoos, I'm looking in your direction.
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: AugustWest on September 02, 2004, 01:41:17 pm
Yeah, considering that every other one of us seems to be expecting, I wondered if it was one of ours too.
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: Va on September 02, 2004, 02:53:44 pm
I don't think I'd name my sprog after any Achewood characters, especially since there have only been two female characters in the entire history of the strip, Tina and Molly.  I do, however, have a cat that would totally be named "Ray" if I had been reading Achewood when I got him.  Instead, he was named Radical Edward.  Raise your hand if you know where that's from.
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: slink on September 02, 2004, 03:12:02 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Raise your hand if you know where that's from.


Just take a look at the avatar...

Good name for a cat.
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: CortJstr on September 02, 2004, 03:41:09 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I don't think I'd name my sprog after any Achewood characters, especially since there have only been two female characters in the entire history of the strip, Tina and Molly.  I do, however, have a cat that would totally be named "Ray" if I had been reading Achewood when I got him.  Instead, he was named Radical Edward.  Raise your hand if you know where that's from.

Unless you count Penny and Shannon who never actually appeared. Ultra Peanut doesn't count and I don't think Mr. Bear's fan was named.

And waitaminute. He was named Radical Edward?

When we get cats (our current appt is too small) my SO wants to name them Ryo-ohki and Bettie Page assuming both are female.
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: V-Adore on September 02, 2004, 07:24:32 pm
It got a little messy, but the anime discussion has been split. Anyway.

I do not think there is anything intrinsically wrong with naming a kid Ray or Molly, since they're not going to be names that instantly identify that you named your kid after a fictional character (unless they name the kid Raymond Smuckles Whoever). I do not think I could do it, but that's because I have set an ironclad rule for myself that I will not name any future children after fictional characters unless it is basically a coincidence (i.e. it is a good name aside from a fictional character).
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: CortJstr on September 02, 2004, 08:37:49 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
It got a little messy, but the anime discussion has been split. Anyway.

I do not think there is anything intrinsically wrong with naming a kid Ray or Molly, since they're not going to be names that instantly identify that you named your kid after a fictional character (unless they name the kid Raymond Smuckles Whoever). I do not think I could do it, but that's because I have set an ironclad rule for myself that I will not name any future children after fictional characters unless it is basically a coincidence (i.e. it is a good name aside from a fictional character).

Indeed. Going through life as Ray wouldn't be painful other than the occasional Do-Ray-Egon joke. So it's not like being named Geordi or something.
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: SolGrundy on September 04, 2004, 03:51:14 am
Don't rag on your mom.  That is what a piece of shit does.
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: AugustWest on September 04, 2004, 05:05:51 am
Quote from: "SolGrundy"
Don't rag on your mom.  That is what a piece of shit does.


Amen brother!  Preach it RAY!

Welcome Sol, come see us more often.
Title: Drinking out of your own leg - Ray's Place Sep 2
Post by: V-Adore on September 04, 2004, 06:07:11 am
I confess that I broke the "don't rag on your mom" rule tonight, but that had everything to do with the fact that my mother confessed to driving around her hometown looking in people's windows for Christmas decorations, on top of similarly bizarre and culturally-insensitive voyeurism. I didn't think there was an adequate reaction beyond ".. what the hell?"