The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: side_show on September 02, 2004, 06:14:43 pm
-
Well all, it's been a slice, but it's time for me to say good-bye.
My wonderful journalism project ends tomorrow, and this means I will be sans internet for at least a good while to come. If I get the writing grant I've applied for to write my next play in November, then I will have the funds to turn my home computer into a functional, online one, and will be back online. The whole art’s grant process has a great big question mark hanging over it - it's in the hands of a judges panel, and it’s my first time applying for one.
I've got a huge roster of plays to direct and am launching off into a very exciting yet extremely financially difficult phase in my life. This is the sort of thing that I know I have to do now, in my 20's when I'm young and resilient, and still have the ovaries to be a total shit disturber. Not knowing where the pay checks will be coming from is, obviously very, very scary! Aw hell - I worked two years in a cubicle with someone screaming in my ear, and felt my soul being sucked out, and now's the time for me to connect with humanity and all things beautiful again. If things with the theatre don't work out the way I hope my SO and I are looking at moving to Thailand to teach English, so all the prospects for the future are joyus. All signs point to yes.
While I'm writing this Green Day's "Time of Your Life" has just come on to the radio, and I'm feelin' all maudlin now.
Anyway - you've all been the nicest thread-of-random-strands-of-words-strung-together I've ever come across.
Hella’ thanks to you all,
side_show Melanie
-
Aw, man. I hate goodbyes.
Best of luck to you in whatever you wind up doing -plays, Thailand, or both. Y'all come back now, y'hear?
-
We'll miss you. Stop in and see us once in a while. They have the intarweb in public libraries, you know.
-
Take care, Smells. You'll be missed.
Come back when you find internet access somewhere, like schools, libraries, internet cafés, friends' houses, cell phones, some kinds of really nice toasters, cable set top boxes, TiVos - you know, if you should happen to come into contact with any of these things - give us a shout-out.
/me holds up a lighter and chants "Na, na na, na na na na, na na na na, HEY MELANIE!"
I guess I gotta pay Paul McCartney now.
Be well. And break many legs.
-
What Jough said. You're hooked now, you love the freakin' Internet. You'll be back, you'll find a way.
-
Being a noob, I wasn't able to fully see the glory of side_show, but from what I saw, you're pretty freakin' awesome. Good luck with everything, and don't be a complete stranger.
-
You'll be missed, but at least you'll be off living a dream. Best of luck to you wherever your path may lead you, and if that path happens to cross ours, well, you'll always be welcome here.
-
Shucks.
Seconded on all the "stop in every once in a while sentiment"- it was always nice having another Canadian around, 'specially one as rad as yourself.
Best luck in all future ventures and hope to see you back around here some time.
-
What, they don't have public libraries where you live? Get thee to the internet!
-
Yea. You stop in...
Best of luck to you, whatever it is you end up doing, and hope to see you around soon!
-
Shucks all!
What, they don't have public libraries where you live? Get thee to the internet!
I know, I know. The only library even close to where I live is closed while undergoing a massive renovation, and will reopen next summer and be there after referred to as the "millenium library" - cha, five years to late guys.
The guy who rents the upstairs of my house once offered to do some sort of illegal hook up through his connection, so who knows. Maybe if I grease his palms a tad...
I will be around a great deal tomorrow, as I'm done all my work, am totally packed up, and just have to basically sit out the clock before my last paycheck is ready at 3:30.
I will mooch a little net time off my parents every so often, but that will mean actually spending time with them, and the repeatedly frustrating issue of once again explaining to my mother how to send a picture through email, (I've shown her how to do this five times now, and the last two I had her write down how to do it... grrr.) or showing my father how to send attachments, also for about the 100th time. They both have that sort of attitude that if they do something wrong on the computer it will explode or something, so they get paralyzed when they don't know what to do - it'd be funny, if it weren't the same damn thing over and over, and about something I have so little patience for. Gah!
-
I'm sad to see you go, side_show. I hope that whole thing works out for you.
-
Man, we are losing both Smells and Linnea this week. :(
Where are all the lovely ladies going?
/me eyes JL, wombat, V, 'lucia, Va, and... um... with a pleading look that says "don't go nowhere" in wonderful Philadelphia English.
-
Dang. Well I hope things work out and you can get back online soon. And if you get to go to Thailand, that'll be awsome.
-
Shucks all!
The guy who rents the upstairs of my house once offered to do some sort of illegal hook up through his connection, so who knows. Maybe if I grease his palms a tad...
if your pc doesn't have a network card, they can be had for less than 20 dollars, and often times free.
cat 5 cable is, herebout, about 7cents a foot. (a box of 1000ft costs less than 70 dollars). rj45 ends cost ~25c/each.
just so you know what it would cost him, is all. any true geek would do it for free if'n you listen to them everyonce in a while rant on about how microsoft is evil.
just explain to them that all you do is a web-phorum. that way they'll know you won't be leaching all their pr0n-width from underneath them.
and tell them that the internet will EAT THEIR SOULS if they don't hook you up with the hook up.
is all i'm saying.
er, i just deleted this sentence 5 times, because you are doing theatre related stuff. i kept typing it, then thinking i'd curse you, then deleted it. so, um, break someone's leg? maybe?
-
Maybe someone in your apartment building has un-wepped (i.e. no security) wireless. You could get a wireless nic and give it a shot.
If it doesn't work you can take it back.
-
if your pc doesn't have a network card, they can be had for less than 20 dollars, and often times free.
cat 5 cable is, herebout, about 7cents a foot. (a box of 1000ft costs less than 70 dollars). rj45 ends cost ~25c/each.
just so you know what it would cost him, is all. any true geek would do it for free if'n you listen to them everyonce in a while rant on about how microsoft is evil.
Ah, the upstairs guy did ask me if I had a network card, and I'm sure I gave him that blank look that says "you have just started talking about things I can not pretend to understand." He actually works for the tec dept of the call centre where my SO and I met and fell in love, and has for a frighteningly long time. Even though we live in the same house, he has a private entrance and we almost never talk - it's a very nice, repectful sort of distance, put the prospect of free high speed interenet will likely make me break that distance once things in my settle down again.
This is good-bye for now though!
Hugs and Fucks!
-
He actually works for the tec dept of the call centre
give him beer, lot's of beer, and he'll do it for free, i bet...
-
Damn. You'll certainly be missed (he added, doubtless too late to actually be read). Good luck with Having the Ovaries and Disturbing the Shit - and do take care of yourself...
...and remember, we're always here should you need emergency medical advice.