The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on September 06, 2004, 02:46:37 pm

Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 06, 2004, 02:46:37 pm
I'm not sure there have technically been any blog posts this week, but there you go.

Anyway, a discussion of an entry that was technically last-week: does anyone else find Ray's cone-party idea frighteningly awesome? I mean, I'd go, even though he seems to have a very liberal definition of what constitutes a "cone" (it seems to diverge rapidly into "cylinder").
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: palm trees on September 06, 2004, 04:00:14 pm
i think the concept is completely rubbish, but the party itself would just be like a normal party except fun and slightly odd.
i can imagine some of them smoking a few cones and just sitting staring at the conical conan structure.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 07, 2004, 12:28:13 am
It just... made me keep thinking of Devo, actually.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: Bozack on September 07, 2004, 01:45:23 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
It just... made me keep thinking of Devo, actually.

Jesus. My thoughts exactly. You are UNCANNY.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: CortJstr on September 07, 2004, 02:16:45 am
I don't see why Ray became anti-cone mid blog. I thought it actually sounded like a pretty cool idea in the abstract although some of Ray's specific cones were a bit odd.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: Bozack on September 07, 2004, 04:20:03 am
Ha, and once again, Waterbury saves the day. A stoner-themed party without weed? Maybe Beef got all twisty somewhere.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 07, 2004, 01:12:41 pm
I wish Waterbury had a blog.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: CortJstr on September 07, 2004, 01:29:37 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I wish Waterbury had a blog.

Hmm. The Waterbury in the comic is just pretending to be a butler while secretly monitoring Ray as a secret agent. So is the "real" Waterbury like this too or is that just Chris's invention for the strip? And in which voice would the blog be?

My brain hurts. And sometimes I think Chris keeps changing the rules just to frustrate geeks such as myself.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: CortJstr on September 08, 2004, 12:37:36 am
Tomorrow's blog: Beef screws up.

In one to two weeks: Ray fires Teodor from the microbrewery
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: slink on September 08, 2004, 01:49:48 pm
No, for Beef cannot possibly screw up. Every possible contingency...

*sigh*
Title: cornelius
Post by: filas on September 08, 2004, 02:52:30 pm
anybody wish cornelius had more associates so somebody would tell him not to schlep his butt to russia after a girl?

Sell the Austin-Healey?  i understand easy come, easy go, but sell the Austin-Healey to chase a girl?  that's just over the line, man.  oh, well, since there's no stopping him i guess i hope he gets what he wants, and has the stones to talk to her, somehow.

(anybody catch the bottle rocket reference above? i thought it'd be a good thing to reference on the subject of friends v. girls)
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on September 08, 2004, 02:55:53 pm
I read Philippe's post before I read Téodor's; I thought that, in his youthful enthusiasm, Philippe was calling Téodor "Mr. Beer". Mr. _____ is still a pretty good name for any sort of do-it-yourself kit, although it was a lot more charming in my head.

Quote from: "Téodor"
I am 100% certain that he will want to use Copperplate Gothic for our logo.


Oh, man. Are font jokes like the sweetest fan service ever, or what?

Also: Little Nephew's blog has somehow managed to eighty-six my long-standing "Little Nephew can always stand to be taken down a peg" policy, as I knew quite a few Asian kids in high school who thought that toting Confusing Ethnic Knives made them some special species of untouchable bad-ass. Press that point, kiddo.
Title: Re: cornelius
Post by: andalucia on September 08, 2004, 04:46:08 pm
Quote from: "filas"
(anybody catch the bottle rocket reference above? i thought it'd be a good thing to reference on the subject of friends v. girls)


No, where is it?  I've only seen that movie a few times relative to Mr. Anderson's other oeuvres, but it sure is a rad film.

I really dug the blogs this week, cone party in particular.  I wish I were in a position to be involved in more theme parties.  As it stands, however, my need for novel smoking experiences is momentarily sated due to the fact that I've found out that my city has a hookah bar.  Best Friday Night ever.  
Shame about Chris's dilemma, though.  Since I made it out of elementary school, I've been glad to have an odd name and not be one of the eight million Sarahs in my classes.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: arkabee on September 08, 2004, 05:46:10 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Oh, man. Are font jokes like the sweetest fan service ever, or what?


i don't get it.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: filas on September 08, 2004, 07:37:54 pm
INT. MOTEL ROOM. NIGHT

Dignan and Bob open the door and go in. Inside: Inez and two
other Hispanic MAIDS are sitting at the table by the window.
One's about seventeen and a little heavy, the other's in her
mid-thitties. There's a bunch of glasses and a bottle of rum
on the table. One of the maids is cutting up a banana. Inez
smiles at Dignan. Dignan looks puzzled.

                         DIGNAN
            Hi. How's it going.

Suddenly there's a loud crunching, grinding sound. Dignan
and Bob are startled. They look around the room. The sound
stops.

Anthony comes out of the bathroom carrying the pitcher from
a blender. It's full to the top with yellow liquid. He sees
Dignan and Bob and stops. Pause.

                         ANTHONY
            I thought you guys went to get your
            hair cut.

                         DIGNAN
            No. We didn't.

Silence.

                         ANTHONY
            We're making banana daqueris.

Anthony holds up the pitcher. Dignan looks at it. Nods. Pause.

                         ANTHONY
            This is Inez. Carmen. Anita.

                         DIGNAN
            Hi.

                         ANTHONY
            Inez, this is --

                         DIGNAN
            Jerry.
                   (pointing to Bob)
            And this is my associate Cornelius
.

A strange expression crosses Bob's face.

                         DIGNAN
            May I have a word with you, please?

                         ANTHONY
            Sure.

EXT. MOTEL HALLWAY. NIGHT

Outside the room. Dignan closes the door. There's three
housekeeping carts in the hall.

                         DIGNAN
            What the fuck is going on here?

                         ANTHONY
            What. What's the matter?

                         DIGNAN
            Anthony, we're on the run from the
            law here. Did you tell these people
            your real name?

                         ANTHONY
            No. I didn't. Dignan, they don't
            speak English.

                         DIGNAN
            They don't?

                         ANTHONY
            No. Not really. Inez speaks a little.

                         DIGNAN
            Which one was that?

                         ANTHONY
            On the left.

Dignan cracks open the door and looks inside.

                         ANTHONY
            She's from Cuba.

                         DIGNAN
            No kidding.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 08, 2004, 08:01:38 pm
Um, filas? Mind letting the rest of us in on the joke?
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 08, 2004, 09:39:06 pm
It's dialogue from the movie Bottle Rocket.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 09, 2004, 01:58:25 am
So anyhow, to get back on topic: This would be the second time Beef tried to serve Molly dinner with no side dishes. Is this meaningful? Or foreshadowing?
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: wombat on September 09, 2004, 04:55:57 pm
OK, now I'm thinking that Molly is a jerk.  So he forgot to make a side dish.  He tried so hard.  Isn't that more important than your diet and how you look in your stupid uniform, for one lousy meal?
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on September 09, 2004, 05:33:09 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Lady-Gut: This has me hehehee-ing 'cause it's a goofy description.  But there is no circumstance in my life in which I could use it without evoking either odd stares or physical mayhem upon my person.


Believe me, "lady-gut" is a muffin tray full of giggles and potpourri compared to the other word (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gunt&r=f) I've seen for this anatomical phenomenon. As I'm sure you all realize, I'm not particularly easily offended and am, in fact, a card-carrying, paid-up Friend of Vulgarity, but this other word is just fuck*ng crude.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: jough on September 09, 2004, 05:38:33 pm
Okay, I was just assured after checking with the nearest female that the use of EITHER of those terms would result in a) a bitch-slap, b) denial of service, or c) a likely combination of the two.

Some things you just don't talk about.  Sheesh.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 09, 2004, 06:26:21 pm
Jeebus.  THOSE.

They always mystified me.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2004, 06:36:40 pm
I always heard pooch or jelly sack.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: jough on September 09, 2004, 06:49:15 pm
Cort, I will post some more things about women being insane to deflate the fury from your previous post.

RUN

SAVE YOURSELF
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: Va on September 09, 2004, 07:03:47 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"

The first time I heard this area referred to was when a female co-worker wheeled around in her chair, patted that area and remarked how she was carrying a "Food Baby".

It made me uncomfortable on many different levels.


Eeeeeeeew.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2004, 07:35:20 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I always heard pooch or jelly sack.

The first time I heard this area referred to was when a female co-worker wheeled around in her chair, patted that area and remarked how she was carrying a "Food Baby".

It made me uncomfortable on many different levels.


Damn!  That's making me uncomfortable now.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: Bozack on September 09, 2004, 07:52:22 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
The first time I heard this area referred to was when a female co-worker wheeled around in her chair, patted that area and remarked how she was carrying a "Food Baby".

It made me uncomfortable on many different levels.


OH GOD. It's like a baby MADE OUT OF STUFFING!

Edit: Also, a friend and I made up "potch," for a girl-tummy, and in fact it is now her nick-name. I think "potch" is kinda cute, and much better than....god, I can't even bring myself to say it.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 09, 2004, 08:29:04 pm
Wow.

Er, just to clarify to the guys in the room: this is generally the kind of thing that a lady does not like having her attention drawn to in general, because it's sort of offputting and implies that you're either insensitive or some kind of fetishist.* Trust us, we know what we're shaped like, and the best response from you is either constructive exercise tips and support (if we actively complain about it and try to remove it) or serene acceptance (if we don't).

But if you have to say anything, don't use a euphemism. It's not in any way a sexual characteristic and thus can be referred to like you'd refer to it on a man. (The sexual connotations may be what weirds me out about the Other Word; shit, even the most socially-inappropriate references to it in men don't actively connect it to the man's secret junk.)

Back on the blogs: I have to agree that Molly way overreacted to what was basically a nice gesture by Beef. What the HELL, Molly!

* This has, in fact, happened to me. Advice to guys who may have this sort of preference: don't act like you're God's gifts to the women you talk to ("I buck the popular definitions of attractiveness, so you should sleep with me!") or even bring it up if the woman doesn't. Have some fuck*ng dignity.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 09, 2004, 09:17:15 pm
Don't they still make 'girdles' and 'foundations' and such things to take the topic out of visibility?
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2004, 09:45:36 pm
I'm going to partially defend Molly here. I'm guessing she wasn't very supportive and that's bad, but seeing as a running theme with the blogs is various events from multiple viewpoints I'll wait for Molly's side of the story before I condemn her to Jiggly Midsection Hell.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 09, 2004, 11:34:08 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm going to partially defend Molly here. I'm guessing she wasn't very supportive and that's bad, but seeing as a running theme with the blogs is various events from multiple viewpoints I'll wait for Molly's side of the story before I condemn her to Jiggly Midsection Hell.

This is fair enough. I hope sincerely that it was more complicated than Beef makes it out to be -- and also that she at least recognizes that Beef went to some effort to please her.
Title: Nobody's going to mention LN:OG?
Post by: sensate on September 10, 2004, 01:47:41 am
This doesn't sound like the F*ck Algebra kid anymore. When/how did he get so badass? He was a straight-up puss in the beginning. He's nonchalant about knife fights? What the hell?
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: Bozack on September 10, 2004, 04:23:53 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(The sexual connotations may be what weirds me out about the Other Word; shit, even the most socially-inappropriate references to it in men don't actively connect it to the man's secret junk.)


APPARENTLY, you've never heard of the Curse of Dickie Doo, in which "my gut goes further than my dickie do!" I'm pretty sure state fairs across America contain t-shirts that succinctly explain this phenomenon.

Quote from: "sensate"
This doesn't sound like the F*ck Algebra kid anymore. When/how did he get so badass? He was a straight-up puss in the beginning. He's nonchalant about knife fights? What the hell?
Quote


He's spent time on da streets, yo.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 10, 2004, 07:18:49 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"


APPARENTLY, you've never heard of the Curse of Dickie Doo, in which "my gut goes further than my dickie do!" I'm pretty sure state fairs across America contain t-shirts that succinctly explain this phenomenon.


Dickie has to get creative when the Lady is of large proportions, too. Here is some SCIENCE (no pictures, sorry fellas)

Guide to Sex for Large Couples (http://www.sexuality.org/l/sex/fatsex.html)
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 10, 2004, 08:53:45 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Guide to Sex for Large Couples (http://www.sexuality.org/l/sex/fatsex.html)


I don't plan to click on it, but I like the URL.  fatsex.html.  Totally does away with the title's relative tact.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: St_Zartan on September 10, 2004, 10:36:53 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I don't plan to click on it, but I like the URL.  fatsex.html.  Totally does away with the title's relative tact.


I think when you're talkin' 'bout fuckin', you can dispose of a certain quantity of pretense. I mean, the topic is basically sometimes our bodies make this sex thing kinda tricky, and there's a manuever or whatever called the Stand And Deliver. So yeah, the URL is rad, but definitely not something you want to visit at work, because fatsex.html is just the sort of thing that leaps out at a network administrator from an otherwise blurry and gray list of links.

Or however the hell work people enforce this sort of shit. At last year's Staff Development Day, we were told that the #1 non-work related search performed by folks on the clock is "sex", quotation marks included. This made me think that a lot of people have no damn idea how to effectively find pornography.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 11, 2004, 04:23:03 am
I think that's how Google got its name.  If you search for "sex" you get 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 hits.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 11, 2004, 04:38:21 am
Okay, I clicked on the fatsex.html thing.

It's actually pretty respectful -- a lot more than other works I've seen on the field. (Advice to those who might be in the market? Avoid Hanne Blank. She's astoundingly unhelpful and is also an evil hose beast besides.)
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 11, 2004, 07:51:03 am
I actually thought the same thing - it approaches the topic a little tongue in cheek with, I think, the idea of not being condescending to it's target audience or sounding over-clinical. Were I needing this sort of advice this is the way I would probably want it packaged.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: agnes on September 12, 2004, 01:39:58 am
Yeah but say can we talk about Tom's of Maine salt and vinegar chips for a sec? And what a curious fabrication they are?
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 12, 2004, 05:40:02 am
Hey everyone! Let's all send Agnes 5 bags each of Toms of Maine potato chips so she can truly appreciate this thread!
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: AugustWest on September 12, 2004, 05:44:45 am
I heartily endorse the "Salt 'n' Vinegar" flavor in conjunction with just about anything.  Along with Douglas Adams, Pink Floyd and Monty Python, it's something the English got right.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 12, 2004, 03:38:31 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
it's something the English got right.


And, by extension, the Canadians!
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: jough on September 12, 2004, 06:29:27 pm
What makes you think agnes is a she?  Couldn't it just be a reference to "Stand on it, Agnes!"
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: V-Adore on September 12, 2004, 06:39:49 pm
Is anyone ese absolutely waiting on tenterhooks for each subsequent chapter of Nice Pete's novel? I personally am genuinely excited about this.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 12, 2004, 08:48:38 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Is anyone ese absolutely waiting on tenterhooks for each subsequent chapter of Nice Pete's novel? I personally am genuinely excited about this.


Yeah, I would go so far as to consider it my favourite aspect of the blogs currently.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: Choop on September 12, 2004, 09:33:42 pm
!

It's a novel?

Oh thank god
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: agnes on September 13, 2004, 12:54:10 pm
B-b-but Tom's of Maine makes toothpaste. And mouthwash. Is my point. Though maybe salt & vinegar chips that made your mouth minty fresh would be an idea with legs.
Title: Blogs, Week of Sixth September 2004
Post by: andalucia on September 13, 2004, 04:24:30 pm
Quote from: "agnes"
B-b-but Tom's of Maine makes toothpaste. And mouthwash. Is my point. Though maybe salt & vinegar chips that made your mouth minty fresh would be an idea with legs.


Yeah, and it is damn fine toothpaste, so I as a consumer am trustworthy that they could make equally awesome crunchy-foods.  I'm naive like that.