The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: arlucasinc on September 07, 2004, 11:09:42 am

Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: arlucasinc on September 07, 2004, 11:09:42 am
There are a number of things to love about this strip:

1. The word "jilapidated"
2. Onomatopoeia
3. The little "picture in picture" view of RB in panel six
4. Vocabulary lessons!

One entry found for callipygian.

Main Entry: cal·li·pyg·ian
Pronunciation: "ka-l&-'pi-j(E-)&n
Variant(s): or cal·li·py·gous /-'pI-g&s/
Function: adjective
Etymology: Greek kallipygos, from kalli- + pygE buttocks

: having shapely buttocks

I can not wait to use that in a sentence.
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: andalucia on September 07, 2004, 01:17:47 pm
Man, even if the strip were only that word it would still be a useful gift to humanity.
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: St_Zartan on September 07, 2004, 01:28:40 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Man, even if the strip were only that word it would still be a useful gift to humanity.


Don't encourage him - we'll end up with weekly cop-out "Build Your Vocabulary with Achewood" one-panels wherein he reproduces an entry from Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary and, perhaps, a tiny little headshot of Roast Beef in the corner mumbling it in a sentence.

EDIT: "Junk jingle" is an excellent euphemism for "prank phone call", and I hope that there are people who actually already use this in real life (who aren't insufferable hipsters from Southern California [excepting CBS Television City]).
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: CortJstr on September 07, 2004, 01:31:48 pm
I'm just impressed that Waterbury is reporting directly to royalty instead of to an M-like character. He must be a pretty important guy.
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: V-Adore on September 07, 2004, 02:19:16 pm
I would have called the thread "junk jingle the queen," but that's me. There are really too many good phrases from this strip.

I also like the loud brassy letters for Ray's jilapidated portable phone. Damn, yo.
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: Bozack on September 07, 2004, 02:53:11 pm
Junior year of high school, we were in English, and our teacher wrote "callipygian" on the board and asked us if we knew what it meant. I did, having just read an article off of BoingBoing about sheep with huge asses. Only after volunteering this information did I realize that it was potentially embarassing.

TRUE INTERNET STORIES.
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: jough on September 07, 2004, 04:07:08 pm
This strip was... explanatory.
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: AugustWest on September 07, 2004, 04:33:20 pm
Yeah, chock full of tasy exposition.


Am I the only one intrigued by Ray's attachment to his antique cordless phone?  I mean, sure it's a contrived plot device and all, but it does seem Ray-ish somehow.  Why does Ray love the phone so?  Did it save him from a vicious pranking by the *****s or something?
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: arkabee on September 07, 2004, 06:24:07 pm
my guess is he got it when cordless phones were new, and it was the best, and Ray firmly disbelieves that consumer devices are designed to break.
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: AugustWest on September 07, 2004, 06:28:03 pm
Yeah, but...

Ray also likes the finest of everything, including gadgetry.  I'm having trouble with the idea that the talented Mr. Smuckles would be using a portable phone with a 4 foot long bent-over extendable antenna and a range of just over 7 feet if he didn't have some sort of sentimental attachment to it.
Title: 2004-09-07 It is hell of jilapidated
Post by: agnes on September 07, 2004, 11:06:32 pm
Since "junk" often has crotchatorial connotations, I first read "did you junk jingle the Queen" as something a little more prurient than a prank call.