The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on September 09, 2004, 01:23:30 pm

Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 09, 2004, 01:23:30 pm
Hey, football season starts tonight.  Anyone around here besides me give a crap?

I am a fan of those Philadelphia Iggles, from whom everyone expects great things this year.  But Philadelphia sports have crushed my spirits too many times to get overly excited.  To a lesser degree, I follow the Ravens, and since the freakin' Redskins (or, if you prefer, the Indiginous Persons) are the #1 game in town here in the DC area I can't help but watch their games now and then.

The Colts are my pre-season Super Bowl pick.  And I fail to understand all this Seahawks hype.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2004, 01:27:05 pm
Who is ready for some football?

Me.  I am.

I am a Miami Dolphins fan (Damn that dope-smoking Ricky Williams!) My second favorite team is the St Louis Rams because my inlaws all have season tickets and I get to go see them about once a year.

Right now I am building up my reservoir of paitience so I can sit through a Toby Keith/Jessica Simpson concert prior to the game tonight.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: sjlimmer on September 09, 2004, 01:32:23 pm
Despite decades of disappointment, and the ego of Randy Moss, I still keep being a Vikings fan.  This season should be interesting for me, as it is the first football season I will spend living with my so, who has a virulent hate for the sport.  Oh well, I'll probably only get to see Rams games here, anyway....
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: slink on September 09, 2004, 02:01:27 pm
I doubt I will get a chance to see this season too, like any since about '93.
I caught the SuperBowl two years ago but apart from that...

I'd probably back the Raiders again myself, as they were my favourite team when I was a kid, but I don't care at the end of the day, just enjoy the game. Definitely time to hassle Sky.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: V-Adore on September 09, 2004, 02:11:50 pm
I have an affection for the Vikings which I suspect is genetic. I would be happy with any number of teams winning (the first four that came to mind were the Vikes, the Eagles, the Pats, and the Ravens), so I just voted "other."
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2004, 03:42:56 pm
Wow. Two Pennsyltucky-isms and a TMQ reference all in the same thread. Almost makes me wish I watched sports.

I haven't actually seen an NFL game since I started dating my SO. Also, since Darryl Green retired what's the point?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Flenker on September 09, 2004, 05:40:39 pm
I'm a 49ers fan, and I fear this season may be a long one for me.....  But, at least they (hopefully) won't be worse than my expectations
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on September 09, 2004, 06:09:47 pm
I'm a genetic Packer fan currently living in Kansas City.  I'd like to see the Packers and the Chiefs do well this year, but Green Bay looked godawful in the preseason, and I really don't think the Chiefs did much to improve their defense.  Nevertheless, I cannot pick anything other than a Chiefs/Packers Super Bowl, with the Packers winning.    

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Right now I am building up my reservoir of paitience so I can sit through a Toby Keith/Jessica Simpson concert prior to the game tonight.


Also, how can you mention having to sit through the pre-game festivities and not mention Elton John?  I really have nothing against EJ, but he doesn't really seem to fit the NFL demographic.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2004, 06:12:23 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Also, how can you mention having to sit through the pre-game festivities and not mention Elton John?  I really have nothing against EJ, but he doesn't really seem to fit the NFL demographic.


I think he's going to sing a version of Candle in the Wind dedicated to Tim Couch's career.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: arkabee on September 09, 2004, 06:17:17 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

I think he's going to sing a version of Candle in the Wind dedicated to Tim Couch's career.


ZING!

that being said, let's all look forward to a Packers v Titans superbowl.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on September 09, 2004, 06:23:32 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think he's going to sing a version of Candle in the Wind dedicated to Tim Couch's career.


Oh don't get me started on Couch.  I was very upset when Green Bay first picked him up.  On some level, I do feel a bit sorry for him.  He has had some tough breaks in his career, but you just can't cry at a press conference and expect to be taken seriously as a football player ever again.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2004, 06:38:11 pm
Yeah, my heart bleeds for the guy.  I guess he'll just have to take his millions of dollars and his supermodel girlfriend and crawl off into a corner and whimper.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 09, 2004, 09:25:04 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I think he's going to sing a version of Candle in the Wind dedicated to Tim Couch's career.


Oh don't get me started on Couch.  I was very upset when Green Bay first picked him up.  On some level, I do feel a bit sorry for him.  He has had some tough breaks in his career, but you just can't cry at a press conference and expect to be taken seriously as a football player ever again.


As a lifelong Browns fan, I had great hopes for Tim Couch. But, like the legendary Danny Ferry (Cavs) he turned out to be a big, white, money-sucking machine. We were calling for Kelly Holcomb for TWO seasons. This year, we get Jeff Garcia so Kelly can't catch a break but it won't much matter. I was at the Ravens game in Cleveland last year and we open against them this year. I just hope they don't get 500 yards on the ground again. That was friggin' embarassin'.

It's a long season on the lakefront, I think, also.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on September 10, 2004, 04:15:15 am
That was a good game.  I felt bad for Deion Branch when he muffed that punt because he's from one of my alma maters.  Gotta love games that go down to the wire.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: TALKYdude on September 10, 2004, 08:34:11 am
Titans in the Superbowl. I believe!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 04:23:36 pm
Bumped due to me being away and being a huge football fan (also, baseball is over now, hockey won't be happening this year, and basketball . . . ick).

So, Asherdan, how do you feel about my beloved San Diego Chargers now?

Also, it is fun to look back on predictions.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 05:32:02 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
So, Asherdan, how do you feel about my beloved San Diego Chargers now?


Happy to be wrong thus far.  But with Denver, Indianapolis and KC (2x's) still on the schedule I'm revising my estimate for them to 8-8.  They will make me a happy dude if they but stomp the ever-loving ass off the Raiders twice in the next three games.

I think with McCardell they may have enough offense to keep up with the Colts, and with them that's what it's about. Denver losing to the Bungles made me feel good. I'm not sold on the Chiefs (I know, 8 rushing TDs, but still).

Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO: Why did Drew Brees wait this long to begin to act like a QB?

He had flashes of QBness earlier, but they've had no line or WRs, so I think it's been tough for him. They haven't had a QB since Stan "What day is it?" Humphries, anyway. That Leafy taste lingers in the fans' mouths.

Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO^2: It'd be nice if they'd sell enough tickets at home to not be blacked out all the time.  BUY THOSE LAST 5,000 SEATS, PEOPLE

I can't believe this happens. If I lived anywhere that had professional football, I'd be all over this. Of course, basketball fans probably think that about Portland. Jeez, think how Cardinals fans feel, and they got to see Emmitt Smith vs. Jerry Rice last week.

Quote from: "Asherdan"
ALSO^3: The Stillers are at 5-1 and pleasantly surprising me.  Unfortunately, they got's the Chowders this weekend.  Maybe the BoSox will have 'em a little hungover.

I think the Steelers have the best chance of anyone to beat the Pats this year.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on October 28, 2004, 06:13:34 pm
I'm pleasantly surprised by the Texans, and rather unpleasantly surprised by the Chiefs and Packers.  I think the Chiefs are done since I'm fairly certain that Denver will take the AFC West, but I'm still holding out hope for the Packers making the playoffs.  Minnesota always gets cocky towards the end of the season and blows it.  I'm honestly more worried about Detroit taking the division than I am Minnesota.

Green Bay needs to beat the Skins on Sunday, though.  Our secondary is about decimated, but we should have folks mostly back after next week's bye.  I'll be happy with 4-4 halfway through the season and a lot of division games left.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2004, 06:42:48 pm
I think this whole TO in Philly thing is working out OK.  I dream of the Iggles and Patriots running the table and meeting in the Super Bowl with both undefeated.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 08:48:43 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I think this whole TO in Philly thing is working out OK.  I dream of the Iggles and Patriots running the table and meeting in the Super Bowl with both undefeated.

That'd be cool. TO is working out quite nicely in Philly, but I still enjoyed him having issues with those banners. It's funny when someone acts like an asshole and then wonders why people don't like him.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 30, 2004, 12:56:30 am
Quote from: "SDBoltReport.Com"

The San Diego Chargers, working with just 24 hours to sell 3,000 tickets, pulled through. There (sic) Halloween venue with the Oakland Raiders will be televised live on KFMB, Channel 8 in San Diego, and KCBS, Channel 2 in Los Angeles.


How about that, Asherdan?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 30, 2004, 01:47:26 am
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp)
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 30, 2004, 03:26:16 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp)

[style=jock]Don't bring your goddamn politics into this football thread![/style]

Seriously, it's funny that right in their little quote they say 'go pack'. I love coincidences like this. At least it's not padded out with trumped up nonsense like the Lincoln/Kennedy thing.

Also, my alma mater eked out a win vs. Hawaii yesterday and I quite happy about that. If they climb a couple more spots, they might be considered for a BCS game!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on October 30, 2004, 03:42:13 pm
Living inside the beltway I can attest that many, many people here are reluctantly rooting against the Skins this week. And what are these "blackouts" you people speak of? Doesn't every team have a 40+ year waiting list for season tickets?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 30, 2004, 04:34:47 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
And what are these "blackouts" you people speak of? Doesn't every team have a 40+ year waiting list for season tickets?

Usually just the teams that don't have a rich tradition and history of sucking ass sell all their seats. Teams like my Bolts and the Cardinals don't sell as well, because a lot of people who live in those cities would rather just sit by the pool and get loaded on margaritas.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 31, 2004, 08:30:57 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp)

[style=jock]Don't bring your goddamn politics into this football thread![/style]

Also, my alma mater eked out a win vs. Hawaii yesterday and I quite happy about that. If they climb a couple more spots, they might be considered for a BCS game!


I didn't bring 'my' politics in there....I'm just saying that the Redskins have definitely had an interesting rate of winning/losing games correlated to the incumbent presidential party is all.

The Sox won the Series. All bets are off now.

As for Boise State, yeah, that was a close one... *cough* but I'm not a Hawaii fan so it was kind of funny to read about today. Timmy was in a position to break Ty Detmer's record and instead, ironicaly manages to set the new NCAA career interception record instead. He only needs 14 yards for Detmer's recrord, though.

The best thing about Hawaii losing is that if they lose one more they are ineligible for their own bowl game.  Take that, suckers. If two other teams play in the Hawaii Bowl, imaging it being televised with no one in the stands. I'll laugh my ass off.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2004, 04:31:22 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp)

[style=jock]Don't bring your goddamn politics into this football thread![/style]


I didn't bring 'my' politics in there....I'm just saying that the Redskins have definitely had an interesting rate of winning/losing games correlated to the incumbent presidential party is all.

I'm sorry, I'm not very good at the internet-style jokes, with the fake formatting cues and such. I only meant that any discussion of anything even tangentially related to politics would likely piss off a large, empty-headed jock. I certainly think that the whole Redskins thing is a pretty odd coincidence.

I'm thinking Hawaii will probably go 6-6. Northwestern and MSU are going to be tough games for them. The WAC plays against the ACC in the bowl in Boise (which used to be the humanitarian bowl until MPC computers ponied up some cash - classy move, guys. Fuck you, Mother Teresa!) The Hawaii bowl is WAC vs. C-USA. BSU will get a higher standing bowl game (Fort Worth bowl last year), so I think Hawaii will probably play in one of those two bowls if they can beat La. Tech.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: V-Adore on October 31, 2004, 04:33:35 pm
I should really start watching the Huskers again, if only because that was a truly impressive riches-to-rags story. Nothing like seeing an entire state go from monomanically loving its football team to monomaniacally hating them with the same fervor, just because they had the temerity to, uh, start to suck really hard.

Optionally, I could root for Northwestern Louisiana State, who are minor players but seem to have remarkable community loyalty regardless of their actual record. Go Demons!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on October 31, 2004, 05:31:31 pm
From what I've heard, Boise State is one of three non-BCS teams with a shot at a BCS bowl -- Utah, BSU and my alma mater, Louisville.  So, it's not like I'm rooting for Boise State to lose or anything... but, no wait, that's exactly what it's like.   Boo Boise State!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2004, 05:40:45 pm
Well, none of the three have games against any real threatening teams on the schedule, so they'll probably go undefeated, but they probably won't get much credit for it. It's all a matter of if other teams drop in the standings now. I expect Utah to get a BCS game, and we're basically going to be out in the cold, AW.

But how can you root against BSU? Look at this beautiful field! (http://www.broncosports.com/fb_facilities.asp)
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2004, 08:33:21 pm
Removed due to superfluity and excessive clicking of incorrect buttons.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2004, 09:16:46 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp)

The final score is GB over Wash 28 to 14.

Everybody welcome the next president of the United States of America, John Kerry! I need a drink.

Edited because it was getting on my nerves.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on October 31, 2004, 10:03:31 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp)

The final score is GB leads Wash 28 to 14.

Everybody welcome the next president of the United States of America, John Kerry! I need a drink.


From how hard Green Bay tried to give this game away I can only assume that there are some Bush supporters on the team.  If Washington had a quarterback, they would have won this game.  One receiver wide open in the end zone underthrown, and two receivers wide open with nobody in front of them overthrown.  If Brunell had hit any of those three, the game would have been quite different.  

I for one welcome my new Democratic overlords.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on November 01, 2004, 12:25:51 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
But how can you root against BSU? Look at this beautiful field! (http://www.broncosports.com/fb_facilities.asp)


A field like that ought to be located in Kentucky.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2004, 07:02:15 pm
I was at work all day so the only game I got to watch any of was The Flaming Bags of Dogshit vs. The Giraffe Placentas. It wasn't very good. That must suck when they schedule the game way ahead of time, and when it gets played they turn out to be the two worst teams in the league.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 01, 2004, 08:16:17 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
A game for all the marbles Sunday Afternoon (http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/election.asp)

The final score is GB leads Wash 28 to 14.

Everybody welcome the next president of the United States of America, John Kerry! I need a drink.


Well, the Sox won 8 games back to back to win the world series, so this is a year where ANYTHING can happen. I'm still rooting for the 'Skins....besides, do you <really> think Curly Lambeau is gonna let Kerry get away with butchering his name? Do you? I think it's time for the Curse of Curly...
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 02, 2004, 04:52:45 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I was at work all day so the only game I got to watch any of was The Flaming Bags of Dogshit vs. The Giraffe Placentas. It wasn't very good.


You must mean Bears-Niners.

I won the office football pool this week!  First time all year!  Yaaayyy!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2004, 05:12:08 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I was at work all day so the only game I got to watch any of was The Flaming Bags of Dogshit vs. The Giraffe Placentas. It wasn't very good.


You must mean Bears-Niners.

I won the office football pool this week!  First time all year!  Yaaayyy!

I so miss office pools - they just do that 'picking the squares' thing up here. God forbid that anyone should be gambling - they might go to Hell!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on November 02, 2004, 06:17:22 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I won the office football pool this week!  First time all year!  Yaaayyy!

I so miss office pools - they just do that 'picking the squares' thing up here. God forbid that anyone should be gambling - they might go to Hell!


I started a new job just before football season and can't seem to find a pool at the new job either.  I am in two fantasy leagues, and I always seem to do fairly well at that.  I think I've taken second place in every league I've been in for the last two years.  That's about where I'm sitting in both this year too.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2004, 06:26:30 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I won the office football pool this week!  First time all year!  Yaaayyy!

I so miss office pools - they just do that 'picking the squares' thing up here. God forbid that anyone should be gambling - they might go to Hell!


I started a new job just before football season and can't seem to find a pool at the new job either.  I am in two fantasy leagues, and I always seem to do fairly well at that.  I think I've taken second place in every league I've been in for the last two years.  That's about where I'm sitting in both this year too.

FF could be a whole 'nother thread, but . . . oh how my receivers suck. Thankfully I have Barber and LT II, and Brees and Bulger. I beat my dad this week, 85 to 12. His team is sooooo bad.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2004, 08:02:47 pm
Just checking in to say - could you promise not to let this thread drift into an interesting topic, so I can skip reading it altogether?

I know, that's probably just a challenge.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2004, 08:05:01 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Just checking in to say - could you promise not to let this thread drift into an interesting topic, so I can skip reading it altogether?

I know, that's probably just a challenge.

I'm actually pretty happy that the folks who aren't interested in this, and I assume that is 90% of the members of this board, are just ignoring it.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on November 03, 2004, 12:38:54 am
I haven't been in a pool or had a fantasy team for a couple of years now.  I ran an office pool (ATS) for about 5 seasons.  I have to say that my interest level is sharply lower when I don't have anything at stake.  Not that the stakes were ever high ($5 per player for the season).  But the idea that you're playing for something really adds a dimension to sports observations.

In other sports news, I'm going to see a college basketball pre-season game tomorrow night.  Woot.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 07, 2004, 08:15:49 pm
Asher, it looks as though your Stillers are going to knock off the Eagles, too. It's time for TO to start complaining about his new quarterback now.

Sorry, Carlos.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2004, 02:00:27 am
I didn't get to see the game because we were stuck with Redskins-Lions.  Yay.  I did like the highlight of Hines Ward catching a TD, then doing TO's foot-on-the-ball wing-flap dance.  TO on the sideline laughing.

In the post-game interview, TO said he was just trying to get McNabb fired up again.  I thought "Here we go, time for TO to make himself unwelcome."  Hopefully it's not that bad, but... sheeit.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2004, 02:19:25 am
Oh my word, did the Bolts ever get furious on the Saints. 6 - 3 headed to the bye week, and coming out of it they get the Raiders. Oh my, yes.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2004, 02:39:17 pm
Yeah, those Chargers are actually pretty good.  Drew Brees is making a case for MVP.  Never thought I'd say that.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2004, 05:01:13 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Fearless Prognostication: Chargers v. Steelers in Division Playoffs

'95, the yeard SD went to the Super Bowl, I watched that very same game in a sports book in Vegas.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 08, 2004, 05:30:33 pm
You are exactly right - but in my defense I didn't really pick up on the word 'divison' when I first read your post.

OK, I have no defense.

I remember watching that game and thinking that SD was very fortunate to have been AFC champions, as the Stillers had it all working that year.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 26, 2004, 11:06:19 pm
Yeah, my brother grabbed him somewhere in that area. I was first, with Tomlinson, and my niece was next, with Holmes. My brother and I are tied right now. The kicker? My brother's favorite team is the Dolphins, and you know who is going to lose a record or two this year. Bittersweet . . .

I grabbed Tiki Barber in the seventh round or so.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on November 27, 2004, 05:10:52 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
This is the post in which I say 'thank you' to the other dummies in my fantasy league for leaving Peyton Manning to me at the 6th pick.


Holy crap.  Those 6 touchdown games kinda add up...
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on November 27, 2004, 05:12:38 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
My brother's favorite team is the Dolphins, and you know who is going to lose a record or two this year. Bittersweet . . .


Mine too, and Marino has always been a special favorite.  Bittersweet is right.  It's a shame for my hero to lose the record, but I'm happy for Peyton.  He's unquestionably talented and seems like a genuinely nice guy.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 27, 2004, 04:36:20 pm
I call him Pee Man. I have a bit of a grudge against the family now. And maybe I just see the dark cloud enclosing every silver lining, but I suspect that he's the type of guy who would be happier with a record than a win. I bet Marino's pretty hacked, though. Losing his records, and he doesn't even have a SB to fall back on. How pissed would he be if Peyton got the big game this year?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2004, 04:36:46 pm
So, Asherdan, how about them Bolts now? It's looking like they'd play a wild card game at home to start. And your Stillers would have home field throughout. This is turning out nicely. I really enjoyed that Sunday night game.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 29, 2004, 05:12:12 pm
Iggles keep rollin' rollin' rollin', clinching the division already.  I'd love an all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2004, 05:28:50 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Iggles keep rollin' rollin' rollin', clinching the division already.  I'd love an all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl.

I think TO might be able to push them over the top. I'm just so darned happy about the Chargers . . . excuse me, I'm tearing up now. Also, Antonio Gates is two TDs away from setting the record for TEs. He is tied with Harrison for second place with 11, two behind TO.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on November 29, 2004, 06:14:09 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Philly has one of the hardest challenges for a front running team the next five weeks, staying focused and healthy.  I like their chances.

This is where fantasy football gets fun. All the teams that have been rolling with TO and McNabb - and if they sew up home field advantage, they'll be on the sidelines. My team is stocked with AFC players, who'll all be fighting for a spot until week 17. Well, and I. Bruce, who'll be doing the same.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on December 01, 2004, 05:57:53 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Iggles keep rollin' rollin' rollin', clinching the division already.  I'd love an all-Pennsylvania Super Bowl.


Just get past the NFC Champ game first there, bucko.  Although I think the Eagles look even better with Westbrook giving them a real ground presence in recent weeks.  I haven't even attempted to start handicapping the NFC 'cause it's so Philly then everyone else skewed.

Philly has one of the hardest challenges for a front running team the next five weeks, staying focused and healthy.  I like their chances.


This Sunday is Green Bay/Philly, a game I've been looking forward to all year.  I'm curious to see if Favre can keep it up, he's been incredible the last six weeks.  I'm truly frightened about what TO is going to do to our rookie-filled secondary, though.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 01, 2004, 08:51:22 pm
Won't it be fun if Gates sets the record on the Broncos? You can't beat setting a record against a rival.

Denver @ San Diego Sunday - national game! I'd really get into this if poll results didn't indicate that half of you could not care any less than you already do.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: arkabee on December 02, 2004, 02:40:21 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'd really get into this if poll results didn't indicate that half of you could not care any less than you already do.


they don't have to read this thread.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on December 02, 2004, 02:58:14 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I'd really get into this if poll results didn't indicate that half of you could not care any less than you already do.

they don't have to read this thread.

I still read it ever time on the off chance that it will start wandering. And I'm always disappointed.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on December 02, 2004, 03:26:12 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I still read it ever time on the off chance that it will start wandering. And I'm always disappointed.


Will this be the first thread ever locked for remaining on topic?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2004, 07:33:37 pm
Does anyone out there know which TEs are tied for the record? I believe it is Ditka, Christiensen, and Walls, but there should be one or two more. There is an actual football messageboard that I read sometimes, but they are too busy writing things like:

ELI SVCKS THE COCK BLAH BLAH EAT ME
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on December 02, 2004, 08:17:08 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
There is an actual football messageboard that I read sometimes, but they are too busy writing things like:

ELI SVCKS THE COCK BLAH BLAH EAT ME

Dude, you spelled "sux teh coq" wrong.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2004, 08:28:25 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
There is an actual football messageboard that I read sometimes, but they are too busy writing things like:

ELI SVCKS THE COCK BLAH BLAH EAT ME

Dude, you spelled "sux teh coq" wrong.

Yeah, it's a dialect. I did get it wrong, though. It turns out it is actually "SVCKS THE CO<K" over there.

Heck, I'd like to go ahead and thank every last one of you, profusely, for being part of a community that is not both repellant and repugnant. It is truly a joy to be able to discuss things here without all the rancor and small-mindedness of other boards. It is also really nice that we can do it without the mods having to be so heavy-handed, as sometimes happens in other places. I viewed another football messageboard recently where the discourse was better than the one I was talking about, but it featured a 300-post sticky topic about why people are upset about certain avatars on the board. Tiresome. Ummm, maybe you could just turn them off?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: arkabee on December 02, 2004, 10:41:48 pm
what happened to wassisname, the awesome TE for greenbay couple of few years ago that was like best buds with favre and had, i think, a superman tattoo.  i want call him chewbacca for some reason.

didn't he kill someone or something?

he was a damn good TE though.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 02, 2004, 11:27:50 pm
That slowed him down a bit, true. Isn't it Chmura, though? Because now I'm thinking of him as Mark Chimera.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: arkabee on December 03, 2004, 02:41:13 pm
ya, him.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 06, 2004, 01:08:17 am
I hear there are actually people out there who said that Packers-Eagles was a possible NFC Championship preview, and even those who said the Packers would win, as the Eagles were due for a let-down.

To those people I say WHAT.  FREAKIN.  EVER.

And the Falcons get shut out by Tampa... if the Eagles don't make the Super Bowl this year I swear I am giving up football.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on December 06, 2004, 02:18:18 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
I hear there are actually people out there who said that Packers-Eagles was a possible NFC Championship preview, and even those who said the Packers would win, as the Eagles were due for a let-down.

To those people I say WHAT.  FREAKIN.  EVER.


I was one of those people.  I drank the Kool-Aid.  I apologize for my insolence and beg your forgiveness.  

Is the hurting over yet?  Can I turn it off now?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2004, 04:25:34 pm
I expect the Stillers to have a better showing against Jacksonville. Just a strange season this year. I wish San Diego had some better receivers. That Denver game was the sort of game that Chargers fans are used to seeing them lose, and this time they were on the other side of it - but that sort of play won't take them very far against Indy/Pitt/NE. An elite team would just take them apart.

All that aside, every time the New York (football) Gnats lose a game, my smile gets a little bigger.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 06, 2004, 05:04:37 pm
This was a critical game for the Bolts, and I wish that they had stayed on the roll they had through three quarters, instead of sort of coming apart and hanging on. A wins a win, I guess, but I would have felt more confident for next week, against a surging Tampa Bay team that just blanked Mike Vick and the Falcons. I suppose it's good that it's at home - and it'll be more of a home crowd than this game was.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 22, 2004, 06:51:22 pm
The Iggles should still probably make it out of the generally crappy AFC, though it is much less a sure thing than it was a week ago.  The team I fear, actually, is the Carolina Panthers, who I hope lose in the next two weeks and miss the playoffs altogether.

Maybe, MAYBE TO will be back for the Super Bowl, should they get that far.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2004, 07:14:18 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Well, I'd say my Stillers and the Chargers are sitting in a pretty good spot thanks to those ugly ass orange jersey wearing 'fins.


You're welcome.

Man, this was about the first time all year I'd gotten to watch my beloved Dolphins.  So I was excited about MNF, especially when they kept it close and didn't get slaughtered the way I'd expected them to.  But then I committed a heinous sin.  With 2 minutes or so left and up 7 already, the Pats took it down to the 30.  I turned off the TV, so I didn't see my favorite team upset their division rival.  I'm a bad fan.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on December 22, 2004, 07:31:34 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I turned off the TV, so I didn't see my favorite team upset their division rival.  I'm a bad fan.


Philly/Green Bay a couple weeks ago is the first time in a couple of years I've tuned out in the middle of a game.  I think I am finally starting to admit to myself that the Packers just aren't a very good team this year.  If I have to choose a team to get behind in the playoffs once Green Bay goes down I think I'll have to go with the Steelers, although it would be excellent if McNabb could get the Eagles to the playoffs without TO.  

What's up with the Chefs deciding to play football now that they're long since eliminated?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on December 22, 2004, 08:19:14 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"


the Chefs


Great Googly Moogly!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on December 22, 2004, 08:28:39 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Gimpson"

the Chefs

Great Googly Moogly!

Gimpson better have a Snickers.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 22, 2004, 09:57:00 pm
I guess the Chargers could still manage a first round bye, if they win out and the Patriots lose the next two, but I don't think they can get home-field throughout. I think I have to go buy an AFC West champions shirt now.

Crazy, old-school, battle of the network stars-type shirt. (http://store.chargers.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1905514&cp=1177668&parentPage=family)

Done and done - it's on its way.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 22, 2004, 10:42:32 pm
I can't believe you didn't use this one (http://www.sportsfanoutlet.com/cat.cgi?s=san+diego+chargers+tie+dye&c=&I2.x=35&I2.y=8) - it has lightning!

As for the Chargers, they are seeded third right now. To do any better, they have to pass NE. The way it is set up, they'd have a home game vs. Jax, with Indy hosting the Jets.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on December 27, 2004, 02:13:18 am
And now they are seeded fourth, in line to host the Jets. Damn Colts!

Actually, I thought they played well against them, other than some special teams problems and secondary issues. Still to lose by three in overtime on the road is not too bad.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 03, 2005, 01:24:42 am
OK, here come the playoffs.

I still have faith that the Iggles will reach the Super Bowl.  The team I most feared, Carolina, has been left out.  Maybe on a good day Atlanta or Green Bay could beat the TO-less Eagles in Philly, but seriously, they should handle it.  The Rams, Vikings and Seahawks are all total jokes.

The AFC should be much more entertaining, though it'll probably still come down to Patriots at Steelers.  This time I think the Pats will prevail, but who the hell knows.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2005, 04:30:38 pm
I don't really ever make predictions, but:

Bolts 31-10 over Jets (Jets backed in)
Colts 38-3 over Broncos (Jake throws 5 picks)

Bolts 10-7 over Stillers (LT can't get going against stiff run D but Gates gets a TD and Kaeding wins it)
Indy 23-21 over Patriots (I like your call!)

Bolts 34-31 over Colts (rematch, and this time the Chargers are tight)

Bolts 24-21 over Eagles (Whoops, TO isn't back yet)

It's madness, I tell you. This is my year, though, because I finally won in fantasy football.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on January 03, 2005, 05:02:01 pm
Nabu, I hope you are right.  I think I've decided to hitch my wagon to the Chargers so that I can point and laugh at Eli after they win the Super Bowl.  

Still hoping Green Bay can put a pounding on Minnesota again, though.  That's about all I'm hoping for them in the playoffs, though.

Edit:  Corrected that sentence.  
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 03, 2005, 05:28:05 pm
I'm upset with Eli now. Did he have to win that game? Our first-round pick from the Gnats dropped like six places because of that.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 08:50:30 pm
This (http://www.digitalmadnessonline.com/BRACKET.jpg) goes right here. And, as they say on the trollerific ESPN message board, BOOK IT!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on January 06, 2005, 08:53:53 pm
I thought a wildcard team had never gone to the show before, are you saying that will change this year?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on January 06, 2005, 08:57:48 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
This (http://www.digitalmadnessonline.com/BRACKET.jpg) goes right here. And, as they say on the trollerific ESPN message board, BOOK IT!


One thing that makes football playoff prediction less fun is that the results of the wild card weekend affect who plays where in the divisional round.  In your bracket you have Green Bay playing Philly in the second round.  When they beat Minnesota, they will play the Falcons, not Philly.  

That said, where did you create that wonderful bracket with your predictions?
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 09:07:24 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I thought a wildcard team had never gone to the show before, are you saying that will change this year?


Oh no you didn't just say that.

The Chargers aren't a wild card team. Denver and the Jets are wild card teams. We  are, however, playing in what is called the wild card game. That having been said, off the top of my head I can tell you that after the 1980 season, Oakland, as a wild card team, won the Super Bowl (more's the pity).
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 06, 2005, 09:12:42 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
This (http://www.digitalmadnessonline.com/BRACKET.jpg) goes right here. And, as they say on the trollerific ESPN message board, BOOK IT!


One thing that makes football playoff prediction less fun is that the results of the wild card weekend affect who plays where in the divisional round.  In your bracket you have Green Bay playing Philly in the second round.  When they beat Minnesota, they will play the Falcons, not Philly.  

That said, where did you create that wonderful bracket with your predictions?


I didn't make it. I saw it, and that the Bolts won it all in it, and I linked it. (I probably should not have done that. If necessary, it can be removed in the interests of good etiquette, though I suspect it's getting 99% of its hits from elsewhere). Anyway, that's why I didn't look very closely at the NFC side. And you are exactly correct in your reading of that, G.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 06, 2005, 09:14:13 pm
Those crazy Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl (aka Festivus Maximus) as a wild card as well.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on January 07, 2005, 05:15:48 pm
Since I originally thought Nabu was calling us out for a Playoff Pick 'Em, I'll post my picks:

For the Wild Card Round:
St. Louis at Seattle:  St. Louis
Denver at Indy:  Indy
Jets at Chargers:  Chargers
Minnesota at Green Bay:  Green Bay
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 05:45:33 pm
I concur, G. I want to pick Seattle, but I just can't.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 07, 2005, 09:35:44 pm
All home teams, all the time.  Write that down:  my prediction is that the home team will win every blessed game of this playoff season.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 07, 2005, 10:12:04 pm
I pick St. Louis, New York, Green Bay and Indianapolis.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 07, 2005, 11:19:52 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
All home teams, all the time.  Write that down:  my prediction is that the home team will win every blessed game of this playoff season.


Ceptin' for that last one?  :wink:

That's the only time I've ever done that, and I feel dirty now.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on January 09, 2005, 05:05:38 am
Damn, well sorry to see that one Nabu.  That was a heartbreaker...
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Golfhaus on January 09, 2005, 05:17:33 am
Indeed. I had kinda hitched my wagon to the Chargers this postseason, mainly for the "Hey, Eli, fuck you" factor, but alas...

As long as it's not Indianapolis or Philadelphia hoisting the shiny thing at the end, I'll be satisfied.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 09, 2005, 02:48:15 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
All home teams, all the time.  Write that down:  my prediction is that the home team will win every blessed game of this playoff season.


Nice prediction.  ASS.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on January 09, 2005, 10:00:49 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Kinda like Vikes-Pack right now.  Go meat preparers!


Holy krikey.  

It's OK.  This is how every GB/Vikes game has gone so far this year.  It's going to be OK.  It's going to be OK.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on January 09, 2005, 11:55:47 pm
Too bad about the Bolts, although I was lucky enough to get to watch the Rams win with my in-laws in STL.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on January 10, 2005, 12:40:10 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
August, I'm sorry Bidwell carpet-bagged off with the old Cardinals, but I'm really disappointed in your support of a team poached from another city.

ALSO: St. Louis overpayed for that franchise.  Frontiere is a former titty dancer, they could have enticed her to move the Lambs out there using Ray's (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12192002) technique.


Oh Boo Hoo Hoo.  What, are you from L.A. or something?  Huh.... Oh, never mind.  Well, you could support the other NFL team in LA... No, I guess that wouldn't work either.  I'VE GOT IT!  We'll call 'em the St. Louis Rams of Los Angeles!

Actually, I support the Rams because I get to go see them once or twice a year.  What am I sposta do?  Go to the games and boo 'em?

Actually, my #1 team is the Dolphins, so I haven't much to root for this year.  I was able to support my team last night by rooting against the dog-ass Jets (lousy fuckin' Jets) but we all saw how that worked out.


Quote

ALSO ALSO: Randy Moss is a no class pig fucker. Just goes to prove you can't polish a turd.


Agreed.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Golfhaus on January 10, 2005, 01:12:52 am
I'm having a hard time finding the disgrace in what Randy Moss did... unless there was more to it than the faux-mooning and what not that I didn't see on the replay.

Everyone talks about these sorts of things like they're godawful... I, for one, am terribly entertained by creative touchdown celebrations, especially the ones that pick at the fans in the stands. They're funny, they draw attention, I loves 'em.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on January 10, 2005, 01:43:50 am
Well, at least I have somebody to root against in the playoffs.  I sort of saw the Randy Moss Ass Move during the game, but I watched the last 3/4 of the game in a bar with no sound on, so I didn't know if it was something to be upset about.  

I was hoping for Green Bay at least to win that one, but I wasn't really expecting anything after this game, so it's not hitting me that hard.  Nevertheless...

Hey Vikings:

Fuck You
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on January 10, 2005, 02:15:42 pm
I didn't see what Randy Moss did yesterday as I was watching basketball during most of that game.  However, I think there is more than sufficient historical evidence that he is a no class pig fucker.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: sjlimmer on January 10, 2005, 03:07:11 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Despite decades of disappointment, and the ego of Randy Moss, I still keep being a Vikings fan.


But to all you Vikings-haters, Fuck You (even if it's not still friday).
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Turbo Ninja on January 10, 2005, 04:38:36 pm
3-1 this week, you fuck smellers.  Was I the only one who thought the Jets would win - not just cover the spread, but WIN outright?

And I'd still take every time Favre and the Pack at home in January against a dome team without much momentum.  It took craptacular play from the Pack in the first quarter for the Vikings to come away with a win.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 10, 2005, 04:41:21 pm
I'm sober now.

Here's a giant FUCK YOU to Marty. It's an old expression, but I must insist it's true: dance with them whut brung ya. Oh well, how bout them wild card teams, eh? Good luck next week, boys.

Oh, and also? I got my ass handed to me in Hold 'Em this weekend too. Plus I was drunk as a lord.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: jay-ell on January 16, 2005, 03:17:53 am
I hate football.  

My birthday falls on Super Bowl Sunday this year.  

Weep for me.  

The best thing about my birthday this year is that between being 9 months pregnant and having promised my Mom we'd spend the afternoon together, there's absolutely no way I am going to be pressured into sitting around my in-laws' house reading the newspaper and politely refusing extra-hot southern-style chili while "the game" is on.  Fortunately, the Carolina Panthers didn't make it in this year, or I'd be right back where I was last year, 'cause Mom wouldn't miss her Panthers in a Bowl game, even for her only daughter's birthday.  
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on January 16, 2005, 07:10:05 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I hate football.  

My birthday falls on Super Bowl Sunday this year.  

Weep for me.

I can watch football but it's just so........s.......l........o.......w. The game itself takes like 15 minutes but it's on for 3 hours? Fuck that noise, I'll watch rugby or something.

Anyway, the commercials are good.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: miles on January 16, 2005, 07:25:51 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jldunston"
I hate football.  

My birthday falls on Super Bowl Sunday this year.  

Weep for me.

I can watch football but it's just so........s.......l........o.......w. The game itself takes like 15 minutes but it's on for 3 hours? Fuck that noise, I'll watch rugby or something.

Anyway, the commercials are good.


I enjoy football, as long as it's not the NFL and you are watching it with friends on a TV.  It is pretty slow, though.  The sports I enjoy most, soccer and baseball, are much better paced to me, though many people consider them to be boring.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 16, 2005, 08:42:48 pm
Quote from: "miles"
(Football) is pretty slow, though. The sports I enjoy most, soccer and baseball, are much better paced to me


You are basically a wrong person. Baseball is positively glacial.

So NYJ beats SD by 3 in OT, and Pitt beats NYJ by 3 in OT. Asher, either SD isn't so bad, or Pitt is in trouble. I thought your boys were going to dump that game. Your lucky that Brien cannot kick field goals in important games.

As far as the Randy Moss thing goes, it just proves that people who play professional sports are more or less assheads for the most part. Look at Leonard Little, Bam Morris, Ray Lewis, Nate Newton, Jamal Lewis, Eugene Robinson, Mark Chmura, the list is endless (and those are just football players).

Note: Vikes are choking again. Man, that franchise is among the cursed.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 17, 2005, 12:24:55 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
(Football) is pretty slow, though. The sports I enjoy most, soccer and baseball, are much better paced to me


You are basically a wrong person. Baseball is positively glacial.


Baseball is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Soccer is fun to watch if you know what's going on but horrible if you don't.

Why do people watch golf on TV? Talk about boring,
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: arkabee on January 17, 2005, 01:47:38 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Why do people watch golf on TV? Talk about boring,


exactly.

the only reason to put golf on on the teevee is to listen to the commentators.

sundays kick ass for naps.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on January 17, 2005, 01:52:20 am
The big baseball strike started on my birthday. It was the bestest present ever. Teach them to pre-empt the Simpson.

I can watch hockey and rugby on tv though. And, for reasons that I can't explain, beach volleyball and motorcross. I think some childhood associations or something.

Can we all agree that Nascar is for suck? They aren't even stock cars anymore which would've at least been moderately interesting.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on January 17, 2005, 01:56:59 am
My main spectator sports are pro football and college basketball.  I watch a little baseball.  I like listening to baseball on the radio.   Baseball was made for radio.  You can listen while you're doing something else, but still feel like you're not missing anything.

I love soccer.  I played soccer all through high school, college and law school.  I still play in my high school's alumni soccer game every year.  That being said, I cannot stand to watch it.  I feel pretty much the same about golf.  Like to play, but watching is pointless.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on January 17, 2005, 02:05:08 am
Now, back on topic.  I was pretty impressed with Atlanta.  I hadn't seen them play all year, so I didn't really know what to expect.  But they certainly spanked the Rams (who were admittedly pretty weak for a playoff team.)  I was shocked by the Pats and Colts.  If you'd told me the halftime score would be 6-3 I'd have laughed my ass off.

Not sure what to think about the Stillers.  My initial take is that they just had a bad day today.  I still think this is going to be an all Pennsy Super Bowl.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2005, 03:47:14 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "miles"
(Football) is pretty slow, though. The sports I enjoy most, soccer and baseball, are much better paced to me


You are basically a wrong person. Baseball is positively glacial.


Baseball is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. Soccer is fun to watch if you know what's going on but horrible if you don't.

Why do people watch golf on TV? Talk about boring,


I can basically only watch football and hockey. All I was trying to say was that to say football is slow and then say baseball is better paced . . . well, It's like your favorite cliche about elapsed time.

Golf on TV blows.


BOT, I hope it's Pitt and Philly.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 17, 2005, 03:52:48 am
If Pitt plays like yesterday, they'll get spanked.

I'm looking foreward to Eagles/Falcons, that should be good. I don't care who wins the game between Pitts and Pats, I think the NFC team will win the Super Bowl.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: miles on January 17, 2005, 04:41:09 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I can basically only watch football and hockey. All I was trying to say was that to say football is slow and then say baseball is better paced . . . well, It's like your favorite cliche about elapsed time.


It's not that it's faster, of course.  Just works better for me.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2005, 05:10:17 am
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick (well, other than calling you a wrong person, that's pretty hard for me to defend) - I'm just a little angry because of the whole hockey thing. It was easier to endure when the Chargers were rolling.

I don't think anyone in the AFC did particularly well in this postseason, given that all the talking heads were saying the NFC was outclassed.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on January 17, 2005, 05:33:11 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be a dick (well, other than calling you a wrong person, that's pretty hard for me to defend) - I'm just a little angry because of the whole hockey thing. It was easier to endure when the Chargers were rolling.

I don't think anyone in the AFC did particularly well in this postseason, given that all the talking heads were saying the NFC was outclassed.


I'm pretty much an AFC fan, so take this with a grain of salt.

How do you get any information about the relative worth of the AFC and the NFC in the playoffs?  There's no contact between the conferences.  Based on the regular season records the AFC kicked ass.

That being said, the only three teams that  looked good in the past two weeks are Philly, Atlanta and New England.  But they looked good against (sometimes weak) conference opponents.  How much info does that give you?  

The fourth team to make it is the Stillers.  All four teams had byes last week.  Has this happened before?

I am an AFC fan, so I'll be rooting for whichever AFC team makes it.  That being said, I like this season because I think the last four teams are very evenly matched.  At a bare minimum, 2 of the next 3 games should be exciting.

Last and far from least, doesn't it suck that there are only 3 NFL games left this season?  I don't know why I love it, but I do.  Ah well, March Madness is only 6 week or so away.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on January 17, 2005, 05:40:16 am
Quote from: "miles"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
I can basically only watch football and hockey. All I was trying to say was that to say football is slow and then say baseball is better paced . . . well, It's like your favorite cliche about elapsed time.


It's not that it's faster, of course.  Just works better for me.


I think the interesting thing about (NFL) football is that is designed for TV.  The rules have been carved and modified over the past 50 years or so to create a game that best fits our broadcasters needs.  College Basketball is bad about this too.  The whole concept of a TV Timeout hurts my feelings.

Of course, all sports (all everything) have been subject to the same hellish process.  You could argue that the NBA has gone too far in to attract short attention span viewers.

All sports have fast moments and slow moments.  I think you can attribute the NFL's success to the their ability to make their exciting moments easily accesible to the the TV networks.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2005, 05:51:15 am
To begin with, there was so much mention made of the fact that, in the AFC, winning teams might be left out of the playoffs whereas in the NFC a losing team might make it in.

Now in the games this weekend, in both the Steelers - Jets and Patriots - Colts games, I saw offenses that had difficulties getting started and special teams and defensive play that was lacking. Mostly the special teams, as there was some good D played in the NE-Indy game. That game is even more interesting, though. Here's this mighty record-setting quarterback. This is his year. They managed three points. D'oh!

But all in all, neither of those two games were taken over by a team. Meanwhile, both games in the NFC were laughers, so I guess it looks to me like both teams in the NFC championship game are firing on all cylinders. In the AFC game, it appears that the team that screws up less will win.

To me, this says that some teams in the AFC padded their records against suboptimal competition. Two I can think of would be the Chargers and the Broncos. The Jets backed in, and barely won the game they did. Indy is doomed in the post-season. Who else was there going to be? Buffalo? They gave up 90 points to the three good teams they played. Jacksonville? Can you name two players for them?

I guess all I'm thinking is that I wouldn't want to be either of the AFC teams, going up against the Eagles (especially if TO is back) or the Falcons (Michael Vick should not be allowed to play football). All I heard was how the Eagles were going to suffer since they hadn't played a meaningful game in 6 weeks or so. Yeah, they looked rusty. And I think every player on the Falcons roster rushed for at least 500 yards this year.

I think that, because there were a few .500 teams that made the playoffs, everybody figured "well, the NFC sucks". But the whole thing about the playoffs is, the teams that don't deserve to be there get knocked out. In the games I watched, the NFC teams just look more ready than the AFC teams.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on January 17, 2005, 03:59:39 pm
I'm kind of upset that I didn't really get to watch much football this weekend, but I did get to see most of the embarrassment of the Vikings, and pretty much the whole Colts/New England affair.  

I think this board is the first place I've seen several people picking "whichever NFC team" to win the Super Bowl.  I have a friend who won't stop talking about how overrated/overhyped Michael Vick is, so I think at this point I'm pulling for an Atlanta super bowl win so maybe my friend will shut the hell up.  Although I'm kind of looking forward to whatever combination comes up, I have a feeling we might just have a good Super Bowl this year regardless of who goes.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 17, 2005, 11:25:20 pm
Vick is defnitely hyped, but I have to say that this year is the most I've seen of him, and he is off the chain. You're better off having a complete team, but I think any team that plays against Atlanta basically figures it's a coin flip whether they are going to get their asses handed to them. He just forces things to go his way - like Gretzky or Jordan. He's just got that much ability. However, like Manning, he's too damn expensive and the teams will suffer for it.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 18, 2005, 02:26:35 pm
Not to mention that he will get injured again, sooner or later, playing the way he does.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on January 18, 2005, 08:53:02 pm
That's true - he's basically playing as a running back, and he doesn't have the body-type to absorb the punishment.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 18, 2005, 09:23:59 pm
Michael Vick on the sideline DUE TO PUNISHMENT
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: jough on January 24, 2005, 02:42:36 am
People are going nucking FUTS in Philly tonight.  It's unbefuck*nglieveable.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 24, 2005, 03:54:16 pm
I was wondering if there would be a pitch invasion at the end of the game.  No such luck.

IGGLES!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: jough on January 24, 2005, 05:53:46 pm
I read a thing once where it had Philadelphia pronunciations (like "wudder" for water, etc.) and it said "Iggles" for the football team instead of "Eagles" - but anyone who's even as much as VISITED Philly knows that everyone here calls them "da burds".
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: jough on February 07, 2005, 03:55:11 am
Yeah, Philly is sombre tonight.

Better luck in 2029, Eagles.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2005, 04:33:50 am
Worst. Commercials. Evar.

Except for that Kinko's/FedEx one in the first quarter with Burt Reynolds and the Bear.  That was pretty funny.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 07, 2005, 08:11:33 am
The P.Diddy one with the Pepsi truck was OK, too. But for the most part, lameness ruled.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: CortJstr on February 07, 2005, 02:03:00 pm
I laughed out loud at the FedEx one but the Sean Combs/Pepsi one was amusing. It was also odd that Hammer was in two different ads.

But more importantly: they gave CBG a name! Sweet zombie jesus!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: jough on February 07, 2005, 08:45:05 pm
Man, those commercials with the chimps were SOOOOO annoying.

I thought the Puffy Pepsi truck spot was funny.  But in general, lameness abounded!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: miles on February 07, 2005, 08:52:34 pm
Screw you guys, I missed it all but three plays.  And one of the stupid Hammer commercials.

But I was reading about the history of ecology.

Also:  Boo Patriots.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: V-Adore on February 07, 2005, 09:10:26 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
But more importantly: they gave CBG a name! Sweet zombie jesus!

Okay, I'll bite: what is it? (And if it turns out to be "Guy Comicbook" or something like that, I'm taking my bloody revenge on the world that has scorned me.)
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: miles on February 07, 2005, 09:12:05 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
But more importantly: they gave CBG a name! Sweet zombie jesus!

Okay, I'll bite: what is it? (And if it turns out to be "Guy Comicbook" or something like that, I'm taking my bloody revenge on the world that has scorned me.)


It's Sweet Zombie Jesus.

I used to follow the show relgiously, but I haven't seen more than a half a dozen new episodes in the last three years.  I need to get back on that.

I do have all the DVDs so far, though.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on February 07, 2005, 09:24:23 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Okay, I'll bite: what is it? (And if it turns out to be "Guy Comicbook" or something like that, I'm taking my bloody revenge on the world that has scorned me.)


I saw it last night, but couldn't remember it.  A message board claims "Jeff Albertson", which sounds about right.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 09, 2005, 02:49:46 pm
Yours truly was a sad guy Monday night.  I don't know which is worse:  having your team get blown out, or having your team lose a close game that they really coulda woulda shoulda won.  McNabb throws five more passes on-target, and the Eagles win.

Apparently McNabb was trying not to hurl on the field (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs04/news/story?id=1987299) late in the game, which helps explain some of the clock-management weirdness.  There's speculation he may have had a concussion.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on April 25, 2005, 07:40:23 pm
So how'd your guys do in the draft?  I can't for the life of me understand why Green Bay drafted a WR in the second round when we badly need defense, but I'm excited that they finally did something at quarterback.  Our offensive line got blown up before the draft, and I have the feeling that Favre isn't going to have the protection he's enjoyed in the past.  I think that that may speed his retirement, so hopefully Aaron Rogers will get up to speed quickly.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Golfhaus on April 25, 2005, 10:46:27 pm
The Redskins ballsed up their first round pick, taking Yet Another Quarterback. I think we have thirteen now. They improved in later rounds, filling in the gaps on defense from the exodus they had. Ultimately, it was a sad draft - the 'Skins had the 2nd ranked defense last year, but had to cover the losses on that side of the ball instead of helping the offense out.

I have a feeling we'll tread water, and have a season remarkably like last year's.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Max on April 25, 2005, 10:59:23 pm
Having just discovered this nearly year-old thread, I see I am the only member to have voted for the Panthers.  And I was on the fence between them and 'jeez who cares'.

Good luck Panthers!
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on July 18, 2005, 11:14:03 pm
Well our first two picks look pretty solid, one on either side of the ball. Unfortunately, once again we have a first rounder (Shawne Merriman) who has decided not to report. Seems like that happens every year.

Ah well, I'm sure our other second rounder, Luis "The Juice" Castillo, will make up for it, if we can get that needle out of his neck.

I would have started a new thread for this, but I couldn't think of a more clever title.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on July 19, 2005, 01:32:07 pm
I get queasy when I think of the Packers prospects this year.  We made no improvements on defense other than a new defensive coordinator, the third in as many years.  We lost two guards for salary cap reasons and replaced them with injury prone free agent acquisitions.  We've done nothing about our cornerback situation, and one of our CBs is fighting a sexual assault charge by a stripper.  Our star running back has a domestic assault charge hanging over his head and is currently going through a divorce.  Our fourth year star wide receiver and our only big-man run stopper have hired Drew Rosenhaus and are holding out.  

About the only good news coming from the team is that Favre has been working out in the off season and is supposedly in very good shape, and somebody in Wisconsin invented a beer tap that can fill a draft beer in two seconds flat (http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/pack_21804631.shtml) and they're thinking about installing those taps at Lambeau.

In management's defense, it does look like they're looking to the future; Unfortunately I think that is at the expense of any sort of competitiveness this year.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on July 19, 2005, 03:57:45 pm
I think you guys got yet another QB, though. So you got that goin' for you, which is nice.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 19, 2005, 04:46:10 pm
Can't think about football.  It's still baseball season, and the teams I like haven't been effectively eliminated yet.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Gimpson on July 19, 2005, 06:14:02 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
Can't think about football.  It's still baseball season, and the teams I like haven't been effectively eliminated yet.


I'm a Royals fan.  I've been in football preparation mode since about April 13th.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Nabubrush on July 22, 2005, 06:05:45 pm
It looks like Merriman's main concern was that the way the league runs things, a rookie has no guarantees going into off-season workouts in reference to potential injuries. If he gets hurt, them's the breaks. I can see it from both sides, I just wish it wasn't always our friggin' number ones that have to dick around like this. Of course, everybody adores Ladainian Tomlinson and thinks he's a stand-up guy now, but how many fans remember that he sat out at one point, too?

(Disclaimer: I adore LT and think he's a stand-up guy.)

I sure wish we had a better wideout corps, but then we'd be trending toward the Indy region and we all know how well that works.
Title: The Europeans call it "gridiron"
Post by: Lister on July 22, 2005, 08:14:03 pm
The Chargers are notorious for being slow negotiators who eventually cave.  I can't recall a #1 pick of theirs that made it into camp on time.  Not sure why it happens, but it's too common to be coincidence.  It doesn't seem to be anything the players set out to do on their own.

Now that I'm out here, though, I hope they're good enough to knock out the filthy Pats, but not enough to beat the Colts or the Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers.  Sometimes I think I like too many teams...

Tangent: I think rookie wage scales will be a big part of the next CBA negotiations.  If that happens, first round holdouts might go away, and I would be happy to see it.