The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Va on September 02, 2004, 02:34:39 pm

Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 02, 2004, 02:34:39 pm
Only a fool would get mad at a man over what he did in his own dream.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 02, 2004, 06:58:23 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Only a fool would get mad at a man over what he did in his own dream.


Okay, so you're telling me that if your husband told you that he was having recurring dreams about fuck*ng your sister/mother/best friend that you wouldn't be bothered in the least?
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: V-Adore on September 02, 2004, 07:12:03 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Va"
Only a fool would get mad at a man over what he did in his own dream.


Okay, so you're telling me that if your husband told you that he was having recurring dreams about fuck*ng your sister/mother/best friend that you wouldn't be bothered in the least?

To respond to a question not aimed at me:

I wouldn't be mad unless he, you know, actually did it. Say what you want about the subconscious, but after hearing some of his ninja-related dreams, I am generally confident that my SO is not dreaming things that he would actually like to happen.

Anyway, it's nice to see Molly and Beef being reasonable about things again. I am genuinely relieved, which is a dorky thing to say, but it's true.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 02, 2004, 07:14:32 pm
A friend of mine once said of his then-wife:  "She doesn't get mad at me for things I've done.  She gets mad at me for things I might do."

Fortunately they are no longer married.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 08, 2004, 07:28:15 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Va"
Only a fool would get mad at a man over what he did in his own dream.


Okay, so you're telling me that if your husband told you that he was having recurring dreams about fuck*ng your sister/mother/best friend that you wouldn't be bothered in the least?


Ditto V-Adore: Were I a woman, I would be more bothered by the fact that he was dumb enough to tell me that than that he had the dream.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 08, 2004, 07:40:30 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Va"
Only a fool would get mad at a man over what he did in his own dream.


Okay, so you're telling me that if your husband told you that he was having recurring dreams about fuck*ng your sister/mother/best friend that you wouldn't be bothered in the least?


Dreams are so heavily symbolic that practically nothing in a dream actually means what it appears to.  Yeah, it might upset me a little, but I would work hard to hide it because the feeling would be totally irrational.  People have no control over what they dream.  Plus, what V-Adore said.

Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
A friend of mine once said of his then-wife: "She doesn't get mad at me for things I've done. She gets mad at me for things I might do."

Fortunately they are no longer married.


That is, indeed, mightily shitty.  Sounds like living with a totalitarian dictator.  Thoughtcrime!
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2004, 08:14:23 pm
Um, so I'm guessing you'd say it's also not fair when I yell at my spouse for something he did in one of my dreams?
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: AugustWest on September 08, 2004, 08:15:32 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
A friend of mine once said of his then-wife: "She doesn't get mad at me for things I've done. She gets mad at me for things I might do."

Fortunately they are no longer married.


That is, indeed, mightily shitty.  Sounds like living with a totalitarian dictator.  Thoughtcrime!


Sounds like four days out of 28.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 08, 2004, 08:35:24 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Um, so I'm guessing you'd say it's also not fair when I yell at my spouse for something he did in one of my dreams?


Wow.  Yes, I'd say that's pretty crummy.  It wasn't him, it was you.  Inside your brain.  Totally unfair.

Quote from: "AugustWest"
Sounds like four days out of 28.


Har har har.  Stupid joke about men not asking for directions omitted.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: arkabee on September 08, 2004, 08:46:30 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Um, so I'm guessing you'd say it's also not fair when I yell at my spouse for something he did in one of my dreams?


my mom would wake up terribly upse on occassion,
and conversations would thusly ensue:

Mom: "I can't believe you left me at the train station!"

Me: *blink*

Mom: "You went to pee and you never came back!"

Me: *blink*blink*

Mom: "And then the nazis came and killed me!"

Me: "I'm sorry?"

Mom: "ok, but just don't ever leave me in a train station for nazis to come and kill me ever again."

Me: "ok mom.  i love you"

----

I guess the difference being that my mom never _stayed_ mad at the people who were in her dreams, once the people apologized to her.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: CortJstr on September 08, 2004, 08:52:31 pm
See, now my SO will often partially wake up and tell me things or ask questions about what she was dreaming. Then when I tell her she dreamt that go back to sleep she gets really pissed at me for not believing her.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: arlucasinc on September 08, 2004, 09:16:00 pm
The other thing is that Beef doesn't have to do anything to check Yahoo News. He has that whole internal interweb connection thing going on, so he should just be able to think about it and have the news and BINGO!!! he can go check on Molly or Gramma K or whoever.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 09, 2004, 01:03:17 am
Men are from Mars, women are INSANE.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 09, 2004, 02:04:13 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Men are from Mars, women are INSANE.


I'm guessing you're single.  That attitude will ensure you stay that way.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 09, 2004, 03:41:12 pm
See what I mean?

It's funny, because sometimes, usually when I've been drinking, I will point out a woman's insanity to her, and she will sheepishly grin because somewhere, deep down inside her socialisation, she KNOWS that some/most of the things she does are completely illogical and more than a bit loopy, but then the insanity kill-switch takes over and she will argue about how perfectly logical it is to say, be angry with her best friend for not giving her a present - not for an occasion, mind you - just out of the blue.  HER: "Marcy hasn't given me anything in a while." ME: "Why would she?" HER: "<sudden feminine rage> YOU just don't understand ANYTHING!" ME: "CUCKOO!" HER: "<weeps>"
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 09, 2004, 04:06:35 pm
SPLIT
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2004, 05:10:13 pm
Quote from: "jough"
HER: "Marcy hasn't given me anything in a while." ME: "Why would she?" HER: "<sudden feminine rage> YOU just don't understand ANYTHING!" ME: "CUCKOO!" HER: "<weeps>"

Isn't Sudden Feminine Rage opening for Lacuna Coil on their next tour?
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 09, 2004, 05:13:37 pm
Quote from: "jough"
A stupid generalization about all women based on the bahavior of one woman, who does, in fact, sound like a stupid cow


Oh yeah, I forgot, all women are the same.

Listen, I'd be giving the same shit to a female who had posted that all men were pigs, or some such tired cliche.  Grow up.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: St_Zartan on September 09, 2004, 05:27:43 pm
Everybody is fuck*ng crazy. There are also several fun, seemingly gender-specific ways of flexing this crazy. This is my experience and I am applying it broadly, just slathering it the hell all over the world.

Quote from: "Jough"
she KNOWS that some/most of the things she does are completely illogical and more than a bit loopy


Like waiting an hour after swimming, there should, perhaps, be a self-imposed time period between reading one's entire collection of Cerebus and posting anything where a Lady might read it.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 09, 2004, 05:33:08 pm
I was only giving an example from one woman, but pick a lady and I can pretty much give you an example there.

Not that men don't tend to do/say stupid things too - it's just that men tend to base their stupidity in the real world, whereas women tend to pull things from their ass (or some other orifice).

You just don't want to admit to yourself (or us) that you're a little loopy.  Seriously, embrace your inner crazy-woman.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 09, 2004, 05:44:48 pm
I looked and looked for something in what you wrote that was not boring cliche-mongering, but I failed.  Oh well.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2004, 06:05:25 pm
SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY!!!

CLASH OF THE TITANS!

WAR OF THE SEXES!!!

TWO SETS OF RAGING HORMONES!

TWO UNPRONOUNCABLE NAMES!!!

JOUGH VERSUS VA!!!

BE THERE OR BE DEAD!!!
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: arkabee on September 09, 2004, 06:16:19 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

JOUGH VERSUS VA!!!


ya know, if you combine their names you kinda get god.
like, the yin an' yan of it all.

in 45 minutes i get to take my tylenol flu again!!
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: andalucia on September 09, 2004, 06:19:53 pm
Yeah, I was going to try to ignore the initial ain't ladies crazy comment, but Jough, please don't even try to defend that comment logically or empirically.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2004, 06:39:45 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "AugustWest"

JOUGH VERSUS VA!!!


ya know, if you combine their names you kinda get god.
like, the yin an' yan of it all.


Dude!

I mean, like, wow.

Duuuuude!
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 09, 2004, 06:47:57 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I looked and looked for something in what you wrote that was not boring cliche-mongering, but I failed.  Oh well.


See what I mean?  An emotional lashing-out rather than a logical refutation.

Va, don't play into the stereotypes.  You're better than that.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 09, 2004, 07:00:18 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Va"
I looked and looked for something in what you wrote that was not boring cliche-mongering, but I failed.  Oh well.


See what I mean?  An emotional lashing-out rather than a logical refutation.

Va, don't play into the stereotypes.  You're better than that.


If that's your idea of "emotional lashing-out", your attitude is starting to make more sense.

My assertion that your statement consisted solely of cliches is an easily verified fact.  That cliches are boring is my opinion.  That I could not find anything worth addressing in what you wrote is my shameful confession.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: wombat on September 09, 2004, 07:53:34 pm
Va, your chain is being jerked.  You must learn to ignore such comments and love our fearless leader in spite of them.  It is better for your blood pressure if you're going to hang around here a lot.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: AugustWest on September 09, 2004, 08:02:36 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
It is better for your blood pressure if you're going to hang around here a lot.


And we would very much like for you to hang around here a lot.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: V-Adore on September 09, 2004, 08:37:12 pm
Man, I tried to stop this crap in Achewood, but I guess sometimes you have to let the crap run.

Anyway, I wholeheartedly agree with Zartan: wait at least one hour between reading anything written by Dave Sim and attempting cogent argumentation involving genders. Seriously. Otherwise you're just stone going to say something involving the Void, possibly YHWH, and we'll all regret it.

(Man, and now I have "The Wizard Needs Food Badly" stuck in my head. DAMN YOU ALL! ... no, wait, damn me for buying an FIF CD.)
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 09, 2004, 09:49:46 pm
V, I have no idea what you just said.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2004, 10:04:38 pm
Have I mentioned that my SO is a professional feminist? Don't you think I hear enough of this kind of thing in my daily life? Dang it people. I'd go ahead and relock this if I didn't think Jough would open it up again.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 09, 2004, 10:44:35 pm
I was unaware that professing the belief that not all women are the same was "feminist".  You crazy kids.

Holy shit, Jough, I just saw your new avatar for the first time.  Wherever that image is hosted must is blocked at work (this is unfortunately the case for many avatars).  That is so fuck*ng sweet it's even okay that it's animated.  That's one of the few animated .gifs I've seen in my life where the animation is actually integral to what is being expressed by the imagery.

"If he's standing in front of a flag, you're losing freedom."  Who said that, re: GWB?  I can't remember.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: V-Adore on September 09, 2004, 11:42:24 pm
Quote from: "jough"
V, I have no idea what you just said.

The first part of an extensive exegesis (http://www.aslan.demon.co.uk/sim-mad.htm), the rest of which is here (http://www.aslan.demon.co.uk/sim4.htm) and which is supplemented by examples here (http://www.aslan.demon.co.uk/Davewatch.htm).
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: CortJstr on September 10, 2004, 12:29:20 am
Quote from: "Va"
I was unaware that professing the belief that not all women are the same was "feminist".  You crazy kids.

I'm not at all saying that she/they are whiny or bitchy or anything. But getting reporter calls at 9am on a Sunday because Ah-nold said "girlie men" in a speech can put a damper on one's mood. That kind of thing got old pretty quickly.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 10, 2004, 02:50:37 am
Quote from: "Va"
I was unaware that professing the belief that not all women are the same was "feminist".  You crazy kids.


Admittedly my remarks were more venting about a single specimen, but then after I got a rise out of a couple of you I figured I'd go full-throttle.

Quote from: "Va"

Holy shit, Jough, I just saw your new avatar for the first time.  Wherever that image is hosted must is blocked at work (this is unfortunately the case for many avatars).  That is so fuck*ng sweet it's even okay that it's animated.  That's one of the few animated .gifs I've seen in my life where the animation is actually integral to what is being expressed by the imagery.


Thanks.

It's hosted at my personal site, Jough.com - I can't imagine why it'd be blocked at anyone's work.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 10, 2004, 02:27:45 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It's hosted at my personal site, Jough.com - I can't imagine why it'd be blocked at anyone's work.


This is the government, jough, there doesn't have to be a reason.

Quote
== WARNING - UFS_SMARTFILTER_DENIED ==
Access to the requested URL was denied by the SmartFilter filtering module

Reference AFI 33-129, Transmission of Information via the internet, paragraph 6:  "The following activities involving the use of government provided computer hardware of software listed in paragraphs 6.1.1 through 6.1.12 are specifically prohibited:  6.1.1 Any use of government provided computer hardware of software for other than official and authorized government business."

Requested URL:   http://jough.com/
Date:   Fri, 10 Sep 2004
Time:   09:25:29
Category:   Chat
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 10, 2004, 04:16:02 pm
Oh man, Jough.com isn't even a chat site.  It just has a crappy Movable Type blog and a little form to send SMS messages to my phone.  WTF?
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: arkabee on September 10, 2004, 04:18:45 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Oh man, Jough.com isn't even a chat site.  It just has a crappy Movable Type blog and a little form to send SMS messages to my phone.  WTF?


"TOPICS
Art
Autobiography
Film
Music
Poetry
Politics
Television
Web Design
Whimsy"

Art? Poetry, Politics, WHIMSY!?!?!

<indignity=feined>
as an american citizen i should certainly HOPE that government
employees are not allowed access to things such as those!!!
</indignity>
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: AugustWest on September 10, 2004, 04:28:01 pm
Whimsy?

Oh Dogg....
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 10, 2004, 04:29:03 pm
What the hell else would you call my pontificating on how much I like the smell of the air in the Autumn?
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: AugustWest on September 10, 2004, 04:31:30 pm
How about "Glowing drops of pure distilled Joughness."
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: jough on September 10, 2004, 04:33:02 pm
Yeah, because you know how touchy-feely and cuddly I am.
Title: Men are from Mars, Women are INSANE
Post by: Va on September 10, 2004, 04:43:34 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Oh man, Jough.com isn't even a chat site.  It just has a crappy Movable Type blog and a little form to send SMS messages to my phone.  WTF?


Movable Type?  Blargh.

There's no logic at all behind how/why the filter blocks things.  Gmail is also blocked as "chat", as is most webmail.  There's probably some arbitrary string on your page that makes the filter decide it's a "chat" site.  My site gotfreedom.net is blocked, and there is nothing at all on it.  Yet, my other site, posdef.net is not blocked, and there is stuff on it, and both are hosted on the same server.  Also, I can ssh and ftp to that server with no problem.

Let me reiterate:  this is a government LAN shop we're talking about here.  Not just government, but military.  Reason and logic are not in the budget.