The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on September 13, 2004, 08:59:21 am

Title: Limericks
Post by: jough on September 13, 2004, 08:59:21 am
Please, forgive me:

http://articles.poetryx.com/56/
Title: Limericks
Post by: V-Adore on September 13, 2004, 12:02:44 pm
Good GOD, man.

Full points for the one about syllabics, if nothing else. Maaaaan.
Title: Limericks
Post by: andalucia on September 13, 2004, 04:23:40 pm
Dude.

I can say without reservation that that is the most hard core I have ever seen anyone be on the subject of limericks.

Bravo?
Title: Limericks
Post by: Va on September 13, 2004, 06:09:37 pm
My husand wrote me a Valentine limerick once:

Virginia's a lovely reminder
That the future's increasingly kinder
  She once was my state
  But now she's my mate
Because I had to leave her to find her
Title: Limericks
Post by: jough on September 13, 2004, 06:29:38 pm
Awesome, Va.

Nothing says love like a limerick, and that one displays all of the characteristic wordplay (although it lacks the bawdiness) which is convenient since your husband is from virginia and your name is virginia.  

And it scans (well, that last line has an extra beat, but close enough).
Title: Limericks
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 13, 2004, 06:51:55 pm
You could say 'For I had to leave her to find her' but no matter what, that's a damn find romantic effort.

Jough, how long did that article take? It's six kinds of awesome.
Title: Limericks
Post by: jough on September 13, 2004, 07:17:31 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Jough, how long did that article take? It's six kinds of awesome.


Far far too long.  I had budgeted an hour to work on it at around 10PM - you know, just a quick look at the form, talk about its history a little, etc.  Then I decided to write it as a series of limericks and while I had planned to watch the Star Wars documentary on A&E again at midnight I finally looked up from the computer at around 4:45AM.

But I was doing other things between writing limerick stanzas too, like finding clean limericks in some books (not an easy task) and of course looking at smutty pictures.
Title: Limericks
Post by: TALKYdude on September 14, 2004, 03:55:25 am
I was already having a good laugh but this just killed me:
Quote

There once was a man name of Jough
(ah, but that'd be telling, wouldn't it?)
Title: Limericks
Post by: Choop on September 14, 2004, 04:27:53 am
I'm frightened at your prolif'ration.
You've taken the poem* of a nation
  And made it your own
  With license on loan
From the best authors in all creation.


Bravo to your creativity, Jeff, and kudos for taking on such a difficult -- and oft-ridiculed in poetry-land -- subject and doing it honor in its own form.


* pronounced "pome" so it scans
Title: Limericks
Post by: jough on September 14, 2004, 04:43:44 am
Who's Jeff?

Man, that is just WAY off.  That's not even damn close.  I could see maybe "Joff" but Jeff?

C'mon.  You're better than that.
Title: Limericks
Post by: Pedro Picasso on September 15, 2004, 03:36:06 pm
Jough, truly yours is a devious genious.  An insidious eloquence paramount even to the revered Infectious Groove.  The depths of your wit may not be endless, but if one were to drop a stone therein, they would scarce hear the report.

You.
         Are.
                 Rad.