The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on September 15, 2004, 12:15:36 pm
-
Only started now because the blogs have been pretty boring. Anyway!
Is anyone else terrified by LN's reference to his "perfect nipples?" I kind of want to make sure it isn't just me.
-
Actually I'm pretty intersted in this e-mailing *****s places. If they can do that can they e-mail other solid items? What about chinese food?
-
i *heart* mr beef's peptic ulcer blog.
"It is the modern age, I should not die of like a simple imbalance of stomach chemicals" what the dogg, indeed.
mr bear in russia: good thing he's going now, forcast calls for complete autocracy in next 2-8 years.
i'm eagerly awaiting nice pete's next chapter.
-
"One fellow shook my hand a good six times, and cried twice."
= my fave line.
But yes, the perfect nipple remark is on the creepy side.
-
"One fellow shook my hand a good six times, and cried twice."
= my fave line.
There's a Russian legend that involves a bear being forced to stop in a village because of bad weather. Maybe we're being set up for a Mistaken Messiah storyline, like when C3PO was worshipped by Ewoks, or the Russians will just go all-out nice on him so he doesn't bust up their town.
-
I love it that you can tell Beef's mood by which Chinese place he eats at. And that Molly knows this.
But if I found out that anyone I knew thinks it counts as making dinner from odds and ends in the pantry, if the dinner contains chevre and kalamata olives, I would have to not be their friend anymore.
-
I don't know, calamata olives usually qualifies as an odd (or is it an end?) around the West pantry. We have 'em in the fridge more often than not.
Not chevre though. I don't think I've ever had chevre. I'm not even sure what it is. Is it the same as chervil? Would you call very short chevre "Chevre Villechaize"?
-
Chevre (a goat cheese similar to ricotta) cannot, by definition, be considered either an "odd" or an "end." It simply doesn't keep long enough, no matter how fresh when purchased.
The rest of Chris's recipe sounds perfectly odds-n-endsy, especially the orzo. Who ever uses all the orzo in the box?
Some of my favorite orzo recipes: 1) brown some Italian sausage, then remove and wilt some rapini (aka broccoli rabe) (or spinach if you don't have that). Toss the sausage back into the pan and add cooked orzo. 2) Cook the orzo in beef stock with portobello or crimini slices, then add a touch of cream at the end with some butter and parmesan. It's like risotto, but it's pasta.
-
Some of my favorite orzo recipes: 1) brown some Italian sausage, then remove and wilt some rapini (aka broccoli rabe) (or spinach if you don't have that). Toss the sausage back into the pan and add cooked orzo. 2) Cook the orzo in beef stock with portobello or crimini slices, then add a touch of cream at the end with some butter and parmesan. It's like risotto, but it's pasta.
The Official Unofficial Achewood Message Board: if you've ever suspected that everyone else in the goddamned world is cleverer than yourself, there is no better evidence.
DO NOT MISS AN INSTALLMENT
-
Heh. Thanks, Zart. To be fair, the first is adapted from my favorite recipe for orrechiette, a small ringed pasta (http://www.westin.pl/images/salatka_brokuly.jpg) like tortellini, but with no filling. I had it at a little Italian place in NYC back in 2000 and fell in love. It's also good if you scrap the sausage drippings and use chili-infused olive oil to wilt the spinach and coat the orzo. Careful: molto piccante!
-
My favorite orzo recipe is from the Achewood cookbook. I don't think I'd ever had orzo in my whole previous half-Italian life. With all the shapes of pasta to choose from I never saw the point of one shaped like rice.
While we're on the subject: How long could you leave those olives in the fridge and not die if you ate them?
-
I was a little weirded out, momentarily, by the mention of chevre, since the word does just mean "goat", but then I remembered vaguely that it was some sort of cheese-thing, and all was well and my opinion of Onstad quite restored.
-
Actually goat is quite delicious but it would count even less as something you just had lying around the pantry.
-
i took the burritoes out of the freezer, and put them onto a microwave-safe plate. i nuked them for 30 seconds less than suggested time, and took them out of the microwave. with a careful hand, i pried them open and dumped some mozzeralla into them, i hope the cheese is still good. i placed them back in the microwave, and hoped the cheese would melt in 30 seconds.
"YAN CAN COOK! SO CAN YOU!"
"BULLSHIT!"
-
I love goat. There was the best Puerto Rican restaurant in Cleveland on W. 25th. The Cleveland Indians players would sometimes be eating there. They had this awesome stewed goat with rice and beans.
-
I'm a fan of goat curry with some bismati rice and some naan, hot as the dickens.
-
You got a good recipe for naan? I've got one that's pretty easy if you want it.
-
In principle that sounds good but in practice the SO and I could not possibly cook less. Plus our new place has one of those tiny micro stoves that's like the size of a toaster oven but with burners on top.
-
That stinks. If you have an oven, though, and it gets really hot you can do this.
My favorite part of the recipe we use from this really old Indian Cookbooks is step one:
"turn your oven on as hot as it will go. Then place the heaviest pan you own in the oven".
Then it's about mixing, rising, punching down, shaping and slapping round slabs of dough on that really hot pan for like a total of 8 minutes.
-
You got a good recipe for naan? I've got one that's pretty easy if you want it.
Please do share the recipe. I have a big cast-iron skillet and an oven that can get pretty hot.
I also just bought the Achewood cookbook. I hope it got shipped before all this vacation hossplay started up.
-
To avoid the derision and scorn of the mods, I'll post it in the appropriate forum later today. Unless I forget because I'm going camping in a few hours. PM me if I *****##### it up, 'K?
Edit: Naan Recipe here (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=25315#25315)
-
To avoid the derision and scorn of the mods, I'll post it in the appropriate forum later today. Unless I forget because I'm going camping in a few hours. PM me if I *****##### it up, 'K?
You're a good man, AD. I didn't/don't have any plans to split this, because it's not like there's anything else happening in the thread (or the blogs), but taking the recipe elsewhere would be appreciated.
-
if I *****##### it up, 'K?
PWNT!111