The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on September 17, 2004, 09:38:20 pm
-
Any of you feel that?
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_nmar.html
-
Wow. A hurricane and an earthquake in the same week. Good times.
-
Or End Times. Take your pick. I've never been this glad I don't live in Florida.
It's that Al Ki-ada guy controllin' the weather, I'll tell you what.
-
I've never been this glad I don't live in Florida.
Me neither (http://www.salon.com/news/wire/2004/09/17/nader/index.html).
-
Nope. Of course, that's 100 miles from where I am, and 3.7 is a pretty minor shake.
We have big quakes around here two, Dan. It's just been 200 years since we've had one -- I think they estimated it was a 9.0, caused the Mississippi River to flow backwards for 3 days, droppped a 5 square mile piece of land 15 feet straight down. Minor stuff like that. Happened right around Arkabee's neighborhood, I believe.
-
It's just been 200 years since we've had one -- I think they estimated it was a 9.0, caused the Mississippi River to flow backwards for 3 days, droppped a 5 square mile piece of land 15 feet straight down.
That is the stuff of Tall Tales. I'm in no condition to research this, presently - and, yeah, I know: you can buy rotten tomatoes from the ushers who'll be passing by shortly - but are you fuck*ng kidding me? You start talking about rivers running the fuck backwards, I start flashing back to Ernie Hudson flipping out in the Mayor's office in Ghostbusters.
-
Well, I never heard anything about dogs and cats... But the river flowing backwards thing makes sense, if you think about it. It's how Reelfoot Lake was created -- suddenly there's a huge hole in the ground that used to be river bottoms around the Mississippi. The hole in the ground is lower than the unaffected part of the river bed. Water tends to flow downhill (can you tell I work with plumbers?). The water in the river below the enormous hole in the ground flows back toward the hole (opposite the normal flow of the river) filling the hole and creating Reelfoot Lake.
Also, there's a little piece of Indiana, just south of Evansville, that is part of the state of Kentucky. It was originally contiguous with the rest of Kentucky. When the course of the river changed it got stuck onto Indiana. However, the borders were officially set by this time, so there is a little chunk of Kentucky on the opposite side of the Ohio river from the rest of us. Oddly enough this chunk holds Ellis Park, a low-rent Thoroughbred track. Used to go there as a kid. This track's distinguished by its lovely landscaping -- the infield is planted in soybeans.
-
yes indeed, Reelfoot Lake is a "large" bit of water, home to Snakes, Snakes, and Gentlemen with sunned necks in boats shooting at snakes in a vain attempt to "giraffe".
http://www.reelfoot.com/ for your general amusment. because we all knew, somwhere, there had to be a hunting guide service named "cocked and ready"...
and this http://www.stormingmedia.us/84/8437/A843733.html uses a lot of big words to describe the simple concept of "hey, yer fucked!" to anyone living within a 200 mile radius of the bootheel.
[ps/edit/whatever- the nice thing, i'd imagine, about living in Cali, is the houses are generally built with the fact that earthquakes happen in mind...]
and this http://www.eoascientific.com/site/products/earth_science/videos/geo is nice, i mean hey, we get top billing on the geologists greencine want-list!
anyways, yay, it looks like the KY earthquake wasn't directly associated with the fault line that will destroy my little world.
and, also, not many people know about the New Madrid fault. Pretty much, most of America is BROKEN.
ps, also, the mississippi river is incredibly complicated. it flows north in many places, and it eats dogs.
-
also, the mississippi river is incredibly complicated. it flows north in many places, and it eats dogs.
Like Dark Water? Do dogs just disappear when they wander in or does the river reach out with watery tentacles and snatch the dogs up like so many hentai girls?
-
also, the mississippi river is incredibly complicated. it flows north in many places, and it eats dogs.
Like Dark Water? Do dogs just disappear when they wander in or does the river reach out with watery tentacles and snatch the dogs up like so many hentai girls?
no, kind of like the way a dryer will devour the souls of socks.
-
I seem to recall reading somewhere that a rift valley is opening up in Tennessee. Fuck your tiny earthquake, what about fuck*ng Ivan? I *still* don't have power in my house.
-
i try not to fuck forces of nature.
-
I seem to recall reading somewhere that a rift valley is opening up in Tennessee. Fuck your tiny earthquake, what about fuck*ng Ivan? I *still* don't have power in my house.
That sucks, Va. Anything we can do for you?
-
Man, I <3 Ivan. The weather here this weekend was gorgeous and COOL. God, so nice.
And it still is. Thanks, Ivan.
-
That sucks, Va. Anything we can do for you?
Do you know someone at Alabama Power? Who do I have to blow to get the power on at my house?
The weather here this weekend was gorgeous and COOL. God, so nice.
And it still is. Thanks, Ivan.
Yes, it is lovely here, as well.