The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on September 26, 2004, 03:20:24 am

Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: jough on September 26, 2004, 03:20:24 am
Oh man - the presentation, the flow of the tracks, just the damn PACKAGING is pretty sweet, and certainly raises the bar.

I'm going to have to re-think my disc now.

Awesome.  Thanks, CJ.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: V-Adore on September 26, 2004, 03:52:49 am
I too am stunned by the sheer beauty of the packaging of this disc. It makes me reconsider everything!

Er... anyway. I also think this is a very rad disc, and though it's still sinking in, there's a lot to like here. Also, I really think I need to just get into the New Pornographers already.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: CortJstr on September 26, 2004, 04:06:24 am
Hey, those white paper sleeves aren't easy to find, you know.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: CortJstr on September 27, 2004, 08:50:51 pm
Actually it just occurred to me that Jough got a bit more than everybody else.

I sent Jough extra goodness (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=24709#24709) in the form of stickers for 3 of the bands, a temp tattoo for one of them, and a pair of Button Men (http://www.beatpeopleup.com/). Hence V's confusion about the packaging I guess.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: V-Adore on September 27, 2004, 09:18:51 pm
Awww, man, no Button Men? Eh, I'll live.

It remains a good disc, though.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: jough on September 27, 2004, 11:10:48 pm
I didn't realise that not everyone received EXTRA GOODNESS.  But the whole package was very nice on my end.  The CD, song listing, etc.

I also received Flenker's disc today "Awesome! A CD" and other than the Belle & Sebastian song I didn't know ANY of not only the songs, but the BANDS, and I'm really liking a few of them already.

So mission accomplished I guess with the mix discs.  The whole point is hearing new music, no?

One thing I really liked about CJ's disc is that he used alternate recordings or live versions of songs that I like already.  So hearing that pushed me over the edge to "Awesome. AWESOME!" rather than just "Somewhat Rad!"
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: CortJstr on September 27, 2004, 11:27:39 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I also received Flenker's disc today "Awesome! A CD" and other than the Belle & Sebastian song I didn't know ANY of not only the songs, but the BANDS, and I'm really liking a few of them already.

So mission accomplished I guess with the mix discs.  The whole point is hearing new music, no?

One thing I really liked about CJ's disc is that he used alternate recordings or live versions of songs that I like already.  So hearing that pushed me over the edge to "Awesome. AWESOME!" rather than just "Somewhat Rad!"

You must have at least heard of Polyphonic Spree even if you haven't heard their music. And I know you've listened to M. Doughty.

See now I was worried about the live thing. I wondered how interesting an acoustic version from Laughing Colors would be if you'd never heard any of their regular stuff. Soul Coughing I knew was cool because it contains the line "walk around with Urkle."

Also, I feel way lame for having this many posts in my own disc's thread.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2004, 12:16:32 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Soul Coughing I knew was cool because it contains the line "walk around with Urkle."

I confess that, while I liked the Soul Coughing track decently well, seeing it on the CD made me laugh, because I had a recent conversation with a friend revolving around her deep parodic dislike of Soul Coughing (aggravated by a high-school roommate who liked them). "Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago" figured prominently.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 02:51:17 am
I actually had not had that Soul Couging track on CD before, so it was most welcome.

And did Flenker include Poly Spree?  Maybe I just didn't notice.  I couldn't read that damn index card hardly.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: arkabee on September 28, 2004, 02:02:05 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
her deep parodic dislike of Soul Coughing


i can't figure out what "parodic" means.  the dictionary isn't helping me.  her dislike was such to the effect of parody?  i'm confused.  someone help me.
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2004, 02:13:32 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
her deep parodic dislike of Soul Coughing


i can't figure out what "parodic" means.  the dictionary isn't helping me.  her dislike was such to the effect of parody?  i'm confused.  someone help me.

My intent, however poorly phrased (and it was, in fact, pretty goddamn poorly phrased): she has a deep dislike of Soul Coughing that, while still deep and serious, she has also turned towards the (worthy) task of making fun of Soul Coughing whenever possible. (And torturing others via the application of "Buddha Rhubarb Butter" and "Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago.")

(Why is this my 2000th post? Because of a problem?)
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: Flenker on September 30, 2004, 05:21:14 pm
I've listened through this cd about one and a half times, and am enjoying it.  TMBG, can't go wrong with, and the song you put on is one of my favorites of their newer stuff.  I also like the live and acoustic songs, it gives a different feel to it.  Favorite song on it so far - I'll go with the Adam Brodsky, mainly because it caught me by surprise, I didn't look at the track listing first, so it got a chuckle from me.

(There, some more feedback!  Happy now??)
Title: Something Clever: CJ's Mix Disc
Post by: AugustWest on September 30, 2004, 05:38:35 pm
It's got a nice beat and you can dance to it.