The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MSC on August 08, 2003, 10:16:01 pm

Title: This is Actually About the Variety Hour
Post by: MSC on August 08, 2003, 10:16:01 pm
Before the other thread wandered, V-Adore wrote of the Variety Hour:

"and if it's based on Onstad's old college humor-magazine cronies, there's immense potential for lack of quality control, but that's a whole different can of worms..."

On that basis, things don't bode well, I guess.  Here is info  (sort of)  (http://chappie.stanford.edu/~fancylad/) on one of the recent contributors.
Title: This is Actually About the Variety Hour
Post by: V-Adore on August 08, 2003, 10:37:59 pm
Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be a problem; the Variety Hour has the potential to be a whole lot of fun and to give us some pretty quality content. I guess I just worry that, if Onstad is just going to his old friends from college, we also have the potential for either articles that don't really work for Achewood (like I'd argue for "The Whipping Zoo") or... well, just plain bad stuff.

I'm still sitting on the fence, personally. It may take a few more weeks, but eventually the Variety Hour'll come into itself.
Title: This is Actually About the Variety Hour
Post by: rstevens on August 09, 2003, 02:04:29 am
you don't let your old cronies run roughshod over your current work.

you might have grown in different directions - and it's tough to say no to them.
Title: This is Actually About the Variety Hour
Post by: V-Adore on August 09, 2003, 03:01:41 am
Quote from: "rstevens"
you don't let your old cronies run roughshod over your current work.

you might have grown in different directions - and it's tough to say no to them.

EXACTLY.

Onstad is dedicated to his work and strong-willed, as we've all seen recently, but I think even he might have a problem saying "y'know, this kind of... sucks, I'm sorry" to an old friend. That's what worries me about the Variety Hour -- that we'll get any old slush from his friends, because he'll put it all up.
Title: This is Actually About the Variety Hour
Post by: MSC on August 09, 2003, 08:54:41 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
we also have the potential for either articles that don't really work for Achewood (like I'd argue for "The Whipping Zoo") or... well, just plain bad stuff.


I, too, am sitting on the fence.  However, I must point out that so far, the Variety Hour (both Onstad and non-Onstad-penned material) has not been very Achewood-toned.  Rather, its tone has reminded me of the stuff on McSweeney's website.
Title: This is Actually About the Variety Hour
Post by: pmcd9 on August 09, 2003, 11:37:12 pm
Hey that thing mentioned a baseball player named McRae.  That's my name.  He played for 19 seasons and I had never heard of him.  Damn.

~Paul
Title: This is Actually About the Variety Hour
Post by: MSC on August 10, 2003, 03:02:42 pm
Hal McRae was a very good player.  His son Brian played for the Royals and other teams in the 90s.