The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: St_Zartan on September 27, 2004, 06:03:02 am

Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: St_Zartan on September 27, 2004, 06:03:02 am
I am assuming, for the purposes of enjoying this comic, that a "stinker" is one of those farts that also involves a certain quantity of solid / liquid expulsion. So, yeah - just one teaspoon. Imagine!

Todd's seemingly unquenchable thirst (you may fire when ready) for knowledge in the face of A Night in the Stony Lonesome is, I guess, retardedly admirable. In the end, though, this strip felt more like an excuse for Onstad to draw another one of his beloved Product Logos (c.j. the Hell Saga) and use, in Context, that terrific closing line. Like that line came to him first and he sort of cobbled up a strip around it, like an emergency lean-to fortified with mud and wax paper.
Title: Re: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Bozack on September 27, 2004, 07:14:40 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Like that line came to him first and he sort of cobbled up a strip around it, like an emergency lean-to fortified with mud and wax paper.


I'm pretty sure THAT line came to you first, and you've been waiting for Stad to get back and make a comic so you can finally release it to the world. BURNNNN!!!

So is it a good "get back into it" comic? Hmmm. I think it's pretty funny, although Zart is right, the last line totally outdoes everything else. And I'm glad to see my beloved Guiness draft cans in Ache-0-Vision, and the fact that Beef visibly shakes when the phone rings, plus he's just sitting around drinking alone makes this Pretty Good. Not Basically Treasure, but Pretty Good.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: AugustWest on September 27, 2004, 01:02:25 pm
i.e.
e.g.
op.cit.
ibid
cf


Please welcome your new coworker:

c.j.

Huzzah!  It's a footnote party!
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: arlucasinc on September 27, 2004, 01:03:55 pm
When I was little, a stinker was just any old kind of fart. But I'm from the East Coast, so maybe things are different out this way.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: CortJstr on September 27, 2004, 01:23:06 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
i.e.
e.g.
op.cit.
ibid
cf


Please welcome your new coworker:

c.j.

Huzzah!  It's a footnote party!

I win at the internet!

Edit: now that Achewood is back up I can actually complete the cjing (http://www.achewood.com/?date=12012003).
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: agnes on September 27, 2004, 07:46:13 pm
Yeah I was assuming the 1 tsp. was just pure air. The "liquid/solid" theory makes me uncomfortable.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: jough on September 27, 2004, 11:15:24 pm
Air?

You blow an air wad when you come, dude?

You should have that looked at.  You should be producing 1-2 tsp. of spooge with each discharge.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 28, 2004, 12:01:33 am
"Yeah, I know, I would have thought more like 3/4 cup at least".

That's a Bukkake Fiasco!
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: ferocious j on September 28, 2004, 12:18:34 am
Beef's eyebrows in the last two panels are what make it for me.  Woe!  Woe.
Title: He's a cat
Post by: sensate on September 28, 2004, 01:20:54 am
He's around the same size as Mr. Bear, who's 1'11" in lifts. Where does he even get off thinking he launches 3/4 cup at a go? That's like his whole stomach.

Or, is it Underground cups and tablespoons? Or is he just funnin'? Or is Beef prodigiously flatulent (it'd make sense re: his social development)?

And what could it mean to Todd? He's something like 1/12 Beef's volume. Is there a standard underground size for sentient, uh...things that Todd automatically takes into account? Why doesn't Todd ask another squirrel or consult squirrel medical texts instead of asking a cat?

Achewood: Makes Your Brain Seize Up™

Aaahhhh!
Title: Re: He's a cat
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2004, 01:34:18 am
Quote from: "sensate"
And what could it mean to Todd? He's something like 1/12 Beef's volume. Is there a standard underground size for sentient, uh...things that Todd automatically takes into account? Why doesn't Todd ask another squirrel or consult squirrel medical texts instead of asking a cat?


Maybe because Todd is the kind of guy who will use his one phone call from prison to go call someone and ask about the volume of wads and/or farts? I mean, it's just a thought. I begin to suspect that Todd isn't very bright.
Title: Re: He's a cat
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 02:45:02 am
Quote from: "sensate"
He's around the same size as Mr. Bear, who's 1'11" in lifts. Where does he even get off thinking he launches 3/4 cup at a go? That's like his whole stomach.


I realise I'm only your message board daddy, and not your actual daddy, but I will take this time to explain that semen does not come from a boy's stomach.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 28, 2004, 04:05:55 am
Jough, why the hell are you talking about blowing wads?
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 05:32:01 am
Um, because that is the subject of today's Achewood strip.

And this is the thread about that strip.

It's not like I *introduced* the subject, man.

I just work here.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Acanthopagrus on September 28, 2004, 07:44:42 am
The average amount of ejaculate for a male is 10cc
I do not know why I know this.
But I believe that is similar amount to a spoonful, a loving spoonful if you will.

Both "10cc" and "The Loving Spoonful" were band names for those too young to remember.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: andalucia on September 28, 2004, 01:29:15 pm
Disagreement/confusion over whether this strip referred to farts or ejaculation (I can't believe I am typing this in a computer lab)?
This is a kinda disconcerting thread.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 28, 2004, 01:35:33 pm
I concur with the ejaculate assessment.  I was trying to think of a way of introducing the topic earlier yesterday but I kept scrapping my attempts lest I be the only one making that particular argument.  That and I couldn't figure out a plausible reason why Beef would call that a "stinker."

I'm still a new guy.  New guys don't need to be changing the subject from farts to spooge.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2004, 01:42:36 pm
I vote farts.  Fart stink, thus "stinker".
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Choop on September 28, 2004, 01:45:54 pm
I totally gotta come down on the side of gas-passage. I can't think of how you can possibly have arrived at ejaculate for this strip.

Is it too late to turn this thread into a poll?
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2004, 02:07:31 pm
Yeah. The thing about the "ejaculate theory" is that the volumes are basically right (for humans, anyway -- for alive stuffed animals, I neither know nor wish to enquire), but why the hell would anyone call an ejaculation "a stinker?" Is this a particularly heinous dietary problem? An STD?

This is not a sentence I thought I'd ever type, but: the fart theory just seems less disturbing to me.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: arkabee on September 28, 2004, 02:11:39 pm
while my stance firmly remains Pro Masturbatory, i must claim no prior knowledge to the usage of "stinker" to refer to mail ejaculatory discharge.

furthermore, in past contexts my faculties do recall the usage of "stinker" to refer to the gassy discharge of the bowels.








-edit-
i must, at this moment, confess as to how much enjoyment i get out of reading my own posts, as though the text were in a "word bubble" coming from the mouth of Toofy the Tooth.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2004, 02:21:03 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"

-edit-
i must, at this moment, confess as to how much enjoyment i get out of reading my own posts, as though the text were in a "word bubble" coming from the mouth of Toofy the Tooth.

"Remember, kids, always know your bodily discharge volumes! It will keep you from looking foolish... and it might save your life! Also, if anything coming out of your wee-wee could accurately be described as 'a stinker,' have your parents take you to the doctor!"
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Gimpson on September 28, 2004, 03:34:04 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Yeah. The thing about the "ejaculate theory" is that the volumes are basically right (for humans, anyway -- for alive stuffed animals, I neither know nor wish to enquire)...


The correct volumes (via Harper's Index) are about right, but could Beef possibly have thought that average volume of ejaculate was 3/4 cup?  They are definitely talking about flatulance.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: V-Adore on September 28, 2004, 03:43:13 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Yeah. The thing about the "ejaculate theory" is that the volumes are basically right (for humans, anyway -- for alive stuffed animals, I neither know nor wish to enquire)...


The correct volumes (via Harper's Index) are about right, but could Beef possibly have thought that average volume of ejaculate was 3/4 cup?  They are definitely talking about flatulance.

Er, not to cast aspersions on the other sex, but I know there are guys who radically overestimate the volume of their ejaculations. I'm not saying that any guy actually ejaculates that much, but I have known guys who certainly think they do (or could with enough, er, buildup).
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 05:34:49 pm
Do guys really closely examine the amount of the popped-wad, though?  

I think the 3/4 of a cup estimate comes from porn, where the guys are like a damn bilge pump.  How do they do it?
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Choop on September 28, 2004, 05:41:27 pm
Quote from: "jough"
How do they do it?


(http://www.chemscientific.com/Merchant2/images/products/23124.gif)
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Golfhaus on September 28, 2004, 08:58:23 pm
If THAT'S what those c*ck Enlargement spams I get are talking about, I MUST get a stricter filter program.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 28, 2004, 09:34:14 pm
It sounds like the confusion persists in reference to which body function is addressed.

I should point out that there are potential situations in which a certain amount of semen is produced during flatulence.

That is all.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Acanthopagrus on September 29, 2004, 01:13:36 am
I think the strip is about farts.
It is interesting to note that the volume of the average fart would be similar to the volume of the average ejaculate, assuming that Beef is correct on the volume of a "stinker".

I will now spend the next few hours of my employers time finding out the answer to this question.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Acanthopagrus on September 29, 2004, 01:39:46 am
We all know that the internet does not lie....

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1511/is_n4_v16/ai_16720832

http://www.csonline.net/bpaddock/fart/fart.htm

for those too lazy to click

The average person appears to release between 500 and 2,000 milliliters of gas per day rectally," Levitt says, "with the average volume of what passes at once varying between 35 and 90 milliliters. The young man I was treating released an average of 5,520 milliliters per day, or 162 milliliters per event."


There were many other sites all saying roughly the same thing.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 29, 2004, 05:28:25 pm
I stand resolute in support of the fart theory. In fact, I have a hard time wrapping my brain around immediate association of semen and stinker. It seems like that would be a secondary or tertiary association at best. Perhaps the immediate association was with the volume, then. Then again, there are a lot of things I don't understand.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: jough on September 29, 2004, 06:20:26 pm
I don't know why he'd call it a "stinker" either, but since he used liquid measurements it really can't be a fart.
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: ferocious j on September 29, 2004, 06:26:26 pm
Teaspoons, cups, etc. are measurements of volume.  Gas, too, can be measured i/t/o volume.  "Cubic centimeters" is not as funny as "teaspoons."
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 29, 2004, 07:54:32 pm
I think the ideal gas law is in play here also, unless we are measuring the volume of the particulate matter in the emission (and there always must be some) independent of the gases emitted.

I wonder what the apparatus used to measure Joltin' Joes airbiscuits looked like...
Title: He read it in Harper's Index. 27 Sept 2004.
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 08:22:48 am
I'm with Ferocious J (nice guy, BTW, met him at APE) - - teaspoons can be a measure of volume, or gas.

I hated to see this discussion go down the wrong roads! Now you know. This cartoon has nothing to do with obscene ideas about reproduction chemicals.