The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2004, 06:04:22 pm

Title: Help Me
Post by: pmcd9 on September 27, 2004, 06:04:22 pm
Can anyone tell me why my computer won't allow me to get to this site [and a select few others]?  I can't think of an solution to this problem.  Even reloading Windows hasn't helped.  Please e-mail me if you have any suggestions I can try.

~Paul
Title: Help Me
Post by: AugustWest on September 27, 2004, 07:55:19 pm
Sorry but I can't provide much actually help, Paul.  However, allow me to say how good it is to see you back around these parts.  

Jough, you didn't block Paul did you?
Title: Help Me
Post by: V-Adore on September 27, 2004, 09:17:55 pm
What kind of errors are you getting? It could be a problem with any number of things, but your ISP comes to mind. (How are you posting this -- from a public terminal?)
Title: Help Me
Post by: jough on September 27, 2004, 11:13:05 pm
As much as I'd like to take credit, no, I didn't block Paul (obviously) since he can post from any machine other than his own computer.

I don't know if we're on some black list with his ISP (although the site's IP address changed over the summer, and he had problems before that) or his computer is messed up.

He said that wiping the OS and re-installing didn't fix it, so I'm kinda stumped.  I'd check with my ISP if I were him.
Title: Help Me
Post by: slink on September 28, 2004, 04:25:00 am
The only thing I can think of, and btw, hey Paul! I keep thinking about emailing you but never get round to it cause I'm a lazy biatch. Sorry!
But the only thing I can think of is that if you have a router it might have the port blocked. Either that or your service provider is blocking plagiarist.com for some reason. Could try taking your machine to someone else's place and seeing if it loads the page on their connection.

It certainly sounds like it has to be external to your machine, assuming you did reformat the install drive when you reinstalled windows (to ensure any firewall software or the dns file in system32/drivers/etc aren't blockng or rerouting the ip and not being deleted when you reinstalled).
Title: Help Me
Post by: arkabee on September 28, 2004, 02:06:52 pm
i'm assuming that paul is not going to be checking this thread until we succeed at getting him access to this site again.

we're in process of "gathering information" and performing "preliminary" troubleshooting at the moment.

jough, i may be PM'ing you in the future in regards to specific site-admin related issues.
Title: Help Me
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 28, 2004, 10:01:35 pm
ummmm

check your host file?

I got nothing.
Title: Help Me
Post by: arkabee on September 29, 2004, 01:35:45 pm
address resolves to IP.
no virus, no spyware.

we are now at stage 2.

in case anyone is playing along at home.
Title: Help Me
Post by: jough on September 29, 2004, 04:37:32 pm
What admin site-related issues?
Title: Help Me
Post by: arkabee on September 29, 2004, 06:57:03 pm
Quote from: "jough"
What admin site-related issues?


none, since it still is not the future enough.
Title: Help Me
Post by: arkabee on October 01, 2004, 03:55:11 pm
From Paul via the email at about this morning, 10-01-04:

"Tell the folks on the board I miss them. I've had some temporary access at work, but I don't have enough time to post any, but I have read some of the messages this week. Tell them I want to trade a mixdisc. I'm working on a mix for them. "

I think i might know what the problem is at this point, but it's a matter of 1) making sure i'm right and not pointed in the wrong direction, 2) getting firm data to support the situation so as to make it presentable to parties that in general have no desire to deal with it.

I'd currently give a 85% chance of Paul by early next week, with a slight chance of small hail.
Title: Help Me
Post by: arkabee on October 01, 2004, 06:04:00 pm
At this point i need everyone to join hands and have a moment  to gather the positive eneregy needed to move corp providers to readjust their routes.

and may god have mercy on my soul.  (not cuz of this, just in general).
Title: Help Me
Post by: AugustWest on October 02, 2004, 03:41:15 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "arkabee"
I'd currently give a 85% chance of Paul by early next week, with a slight chance of small hail.

If you're going to keep posting in TV-weatherman-lingo we need to rechristen you with an appropriate name.  Something along the lines of Sepulvada Hail or Jaxom Tremor.  Y'know, I always found some odd similairity between how weatherdud names and porn names are derived, all trying to be evocative of the field their doing their working in.

It's a fandango cool that you are working for a Paul return here.


I grew up in the Nashville TV market. I always thought they should have a weatherman there named "Faron Warmer".  Hee Haw!