The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: andalucia on September 27, 2004, 08:09:57 pm
-
This is the first one so far that I've actually, well, liked.
But props to all of you who immediately predicted Onstad churning out art to sell on eBay like the proverbial... uh... I've got nothing.
-
I cannot see the faces on the birches! Is this because of a problem? BEEP BEEP
(Also, Teodor looks sort of off-model to me. I agree that this is a huge leap forward in most regards from the previous art, but what the hell is with Teodor's nose/muzzle/facial area?)
-
Wow, I was hoping to snag this one, but the price is jumping up like crazy. The Ray one went for $360, which was in my price range, but I'm not so sure about this one.
But yeah, it's the first one I've really liked.
-
$380?
Man, Onstad should stop doing the strips and just churn out these things.
I still say he's only selling his mistakes on eBay.
But the large image scales really nice on a good photo printer with glossy paper. I'm just saying - frame your own if you like it.
-
I cannot see the faces on the birches! Is this because of a problem? BEEP BEEP
Me either.
I feel like the guy in Mallrats staring at the 3-D painting. I can't see those either. Because of a problem.
-
But the large image scales really nice on a good photo printer with glossy paper. I'm just saying - frame your own if you like it.
Jough, if I ever publish the book I'm working on, you're going to go to the library and make yourself a photocopy of it?
OK, on the other hand, it wouldn't cost almost 400 dollars. He could be selling nice little prints that us peons could afford. But hey, if crazy rich fans with money to burn want to send it to him so he can afford to keep providing free content to the rest of us, I guess that's a good deal for us too.
-
how much control does an ebay seller have over how much the bid is for their product?
-
how much control does an ebay seller have over how much the bid is for their product?
I thought that they could set the starting big anywhere they liked, in addition to having a reserve (as in <--- L@@K PLAYSTATION 2 DUE TO PUNISHMENT NO RE$ERVE!!!1 RARE) But as far as trend-surfing hipster nu-money cunts coming in and paying too much for something, not a whole hell of a lot.
EDIT: That might be a little harsh, I guess.
-
Ark, if you are asking whether people set a maximum price on the goods they sell on E-bay, I would suggest that you are unfamiliar with the most basic tenets of capitalism.
-
Ark, if you are asking whether people set a maximum price on the goods they sell on E-bay, I would suggest that you are unfamiliar with the most basic tenets of capitalism.
I think he was more asking if the seller sets the opening bid price (yes) and/or the minimum bid increment (I don't know).
-
Ark, if you are asking whether people set a maximum price on the goods they sell on E-bay, I would suggest that you are unfamiliar with the most basic tenets of capitalism.
I think he was more asking if the seller sets the opening bid price (yes) and/or the minimum bid increment (I don't know).
Yeah, but that's harder to make a witty comment about.
-
Ark, if you are asking whether people set a maximum price on the goods they sell on E-bay, I would suggest that you are unfamiliar with the most basic tenets of capitalism.
I think he was more asking if the seller sets the opening bid price (yes) and/or the minimum bid increment (I don't know).
Yeah, but that's harder to make a witty comment about.
to quote myself "it's hard being a straight man on the internet".
that being said, i was more meaning "did onstadt put his picture up and people are bidding large (contextually to me) amounts of money for them, or is onstadt selling his pictures for large (contextually to me) amounts of money?" in a rhetorical fashion.
-
If you look at the auction page, it lists the opening bid: $10. No reserve.
So people have competed against each other to pay nearly $450 for this on (the most yet for one of his auctions, no?).
And there's still three and a half days to go.
If he can get $500 a pop why would he do anything but sell paintings on eBay?
Of course, without the daily strip traffic to his site would dry up faster than Joan Rivers's love canal.
-
Joan Rivers's love canal.
Thanks so much for THAT image.
-
But the large image scales really nice on a good photo printer with glossy paper. I'm just saying - frame your own if you like it.
Jough, if I ever publish the book I'm working on, you're going to go to the library and make yourself a photocopy of it?
No, Wombat, I wouldn't photocopy or read your book.
But it probably wouldn't be such that only one person could own a copy either, right?
-
I meant like, just borrow it or something. But I don't really read books about wombats. So I'd probably just buy a copy and put it in a box in the basement.
This is nothing personal to wombat - I usually just wait until they make a movie out of it before reading the book.
Which means that those Emeril books that I have will be waiting a long time for me to read them.
-
So I'd probably just buy a copy and put it in a box in the basement.
I have decided to make this my literary career goal: Everyone will buy my books and put a copy in a box in the basement. That way I get the money with no risk of having to hear that people thought the book stank.
-
Brilliant!
-
I thought that they could set the starting big anywhere they liked, in addition to having a reserve (as in <--- L@@K PLAYSTATION 2 DUE TO PUNISHMENT NO RE$ERVE!!!1 RARE)
That right there is my biggest eBay pet peeve: people who put "LOOK" in their description. "Well, gosh, I wasn't at all interested in your stupid shit, but since you told me to 'LOOK' I guess I'll check it out.
A close second is something marked "RARE" when there's like 30 of them for sale on eBay alone.
-
Oh, man, I always go for the "RARE!!! OUT OF PRINT!!!" when I'm trying to sell a CD or DVD that went on moratorium or actually out of print.
I sold my "Death to the Pixies" double-CD set for $85. Meanwhile, I picked up another in a used disc store for $8 (which I am planning to also sell on eBay).
The Travelling Wilburies albums got about $50 apiece just by listing them as "RARE, OOP!"
I am a huge eBay whore for selling stuff. The trick is to include LOTS of pictures and describe the thing in gynocological detail (do you want to hear the etymology of that phrase?).
Anyway, I tend to look around eBay whenever I'm selling something to see what it's "going for" and then try to raise the bar in my listings to make more than any of them.
To me, the extra time spent working on the listing isn't a waste, since the whole point for me is to WIN AT EBAY. That means selling still-in-box items for more than retail, or out of print used CDs for twice what other people are selling them for.
-
gynocological detail (do you want to hear the etymology of that phrase?).
yes.
-
gynocological detail (do you want to hear the etymology of that phrase?).
yes.
Watch out dude or he'll start talking about Joan Rivers' cootchie again.
-
I am a master of capitalism and win at eBay.
Damn. While I just sell my crap on Craig's List for a quarter of what I could get for it just because it's easier.
Speaking of Pixies best-ofs. Does the new one have any extra material at all? I have Death to for the live disc but the new one seems utterly pointless if one has their regular CDs.
-
Okay, since I am procrastinating from REAL WORK I will make this long story short.
A rather erudite and somewhat pompous mentor of mine used to give me some pointers about my poetry back before I entered college, and was criticizing my focus - i.e. putting too much weight on the insignificant and glossing over the important bits in my writing.
His big thing was that saying that art should be sexy. It should make people want to have sex with the artist. As a 20 year old that explanation worked for me. But he would chide me that my poems were UNsexy, that instead of being like soft core porn they contained too much gynocological detail to be interesting for anyone else to read. Most of that was me trying to be "clever" (which is the death of most things, but poetry especially).
So he'd mark up parts of my poems with "GD."
Speaking of being clever, I had intended to go to Bard College at one point so I could study with John Ashbery - a real asshole but THE REAL DEAL when it comes to being a professional poet (as much as anyone is ever a professional poet) and I sent him a long long letter once with some poems when I was applying there, and he sent my poems back to me with a note scrawled on the back of one of them:
"Dear Jough,
No one cares how smart you are.
-- John"
Sure, he was a dick about it, but it's a good lesson, and something that I needed to hear at the time.
-
But Jough, WE care how smart you are.
Still, for all of the rest of life, that's great advice, poetically delivered.
-
Wow. It is up to $570 now with another whole day to go higher.
$600 buys a LOT of happy juice.
-
Contrary to popular belief, I use the proceeds from my art for things like mortgages and car repairs.
-
Contrary to popular belief, I use the proceeds from my art for things like mortgages and car repairs.
you are trying to wreck the mystique, aren't you?
now quick, go do something crazy and artiste-esque lest i stop thinking of you as someone wearing a beret and smoking gallouises.