The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: wombat on September 28, 2004, 03:32:23 pm

Title: california dreaming
Post by: wombat on September 28, 2004, 03:32:23 pm
I might be in Santa Ana next week, interviewing for a job, staying with a friend in someplace called Lake Forest, unless I, (a), get a job offer before that from one of the places I've already interviewed or (b), decide to chicken out on the idea of moving there before I even go out for the interview.

Is that near any of you guys?  Want to have dinner? Want to tell me why I don't even want to consider moving there and should just forget the whole scary concept?
Title: Re: california dreaming
Post by: arkabee on September 28, 2004, 03:48:25 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

Want to tell me why I don't even want to consider moving there and should just forget the whole scary concept?


i have failry deep and somewhat irrational fears/issues inre: moving, especially to a part of the country that i have not yet lived within.  that being said, i highly support your attempt to do such (if in fact you have not lived therebouts, if you have i still support your endeavor).

when things like this are happening to other people, i like to ask them "what's the worst that could happen?" (when it is happening to myself, i do not ask that question because i do not want to know).

besides possible negative financial implications, travel is expensive, from that fact that you are looking for different employment, you have the opportunity to explore a different avenue for your life, and are brave enough to do so!

i had an opportunity a couple of years ago to move to berkely and participate in a somewhat thrilling initialization of a new-ish industry, and chickened out of it not because the chance of the job actually being around longer than 3 days quickly approached zero, but because i was just fundementally scared.  that's never good.

good luck wombat!  and at the very least enjoy the non-interview time as a well-earned vacation, and an opportunity to appraise your current "home area" as juxtaposed against the california backdrop.
Title: california dreaming
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 05:32:28 pm
You live in the D.C. area?  

You'll be crying on the plane back from California because you have to leave that beautiful state and return to the east coast.

If you don't get the job you'll stagger around like a lobotomite in disillusionment as everything familiar will seem grey and pale when compared to California's lush technicolour.
Title: california dreaming
Post by: wombat on September 28, 2004, 05:44:28 pm
Right, what Jough says sounds like exactly how I feel every time I come back from a vacation in California.  But a friend who lives in Orange County is trying to convince me that (a), I don't vacation in Orange County which is not so nice and (b), vacations are different so that doesn't mean anything.

Asherdan, I will PM you.  Perhaps having one more person to visit will get me off my chickenhearted butt to come out there instead of burning my bridges in front of me.
Title: california dreaming
Post by: Limmo on September 28, 2004, 06:00:09 pm
If I weren't ass-deep in trying to move my family from our apartment to our new house, I would join you and Asherdan.  But the timing, it is for suck.  

Nobody vacations in Orange County.  That doesn't mean it isn't a nice place to live.  It's only scary if you're, you know, a Democrat or something.