The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: AugustWest on September 28, 2004, 04:41:47 pm

Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2004, 04:41:47 pm
Any body from, in or around Pittsburgh?  There's about a 70/30 chance that I'll be there this weekend.  Any suggestions on stuff to do, place to eat, etc.?
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2004, 04:42:35 pm
Just got an e-mail.  My trip was approved so I will be in Pittsburgh this weekend.
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 05:23:34 pm
There is nothing to do in Pittsburgh.

Please note that people refer to other people there as "yuntz" which is both singular and plural.  Like "Where is yuntz going to lunch?" or "Is yuntz coming over for Thanksgiving this year?"

Stay away from anywhere near the river(s) if you don't want to pay far too much for everything (also bums will ASSAULT you for cash there).

You should ask for a steak (pittsburgh rare) which is charred on the outside and still pink in the center. You pretty much need a blast furnace to make it that way, and it's kind of a local specialty, a remnant of the old steel days.
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: wombat on September 28, 2004, 05:49:48 pm
I swear I did something mildly interesting in Pittsburgh once.  It was some kind of botanical gardeny place inside a greenhousey thing.  Yeah, that's a big help.

The zoo was not so great, I think.  Otherwise all I remember was being lost looking for an interesting sounding Chinese resturant in the suburbs.

C'mon, people, we have to be able to do better for August than this.
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: AugustWest on September 28, 2004, 05:50:38 pm
Sorry, I'll be driving (a big-ass Crown Vic State Fire Marshal official looking car!)
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: CortJstr on September 28, 2004, 05:59:34 pm
Until I was 9 I lived in western PA and we used to make trips to Pittsburgh like it was The Big City. They had a zoo! And a university other than Penn State! And multi-story buildings! And approximately 83% of the world supply of grey!

And where I'm from we said "yunz" without the t. And you didn't warn her about "you guys's."
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 06:25:51 pm
"You's guys" is more of a Philly thing, though.
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 28, 2004, 06:52:02 pm
I thought it was spelled "yinz."  As in "Yinz guise."

If the Pirates are at home, go to PNC Park.  Seriously, among the best ballparks in the majors.

If you like greasy bad-for-you food, go visit Primanti Brothers (http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=398).  Big honkin' sandwiches, complete with fries and cole slaw ON the sandwich.  Not as life-changing as, say, a top-notch Philly cheesesteak (http://www.hollyeats.com/JohnsPork.htm), but still damn good.  The Original Hot Dog Shop (http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=106), aka the Big O or the Dirty O, is also good for late-night drunken meals.

The Strip District (http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/40859904/pittsburgh_pa/the_strip_district.html?cslink=roundup_name_noncust&ulink=roundup__roundupentity1-1_1__0_profile_21_1) has some kind of cool restaurants and shops.  Again, pales in comparison to similar stretches in Philly, NYC, etc., but in Pittsburgh you'd best take what you can get.
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: CortJstr on September 28, 2004, 07:13:44 pm
Quote from: "jough"
"You's guys" is more of a Philly thing, though.

This is different, it's the possesive form of "you guys." Like somebody would ask, "where is you guys's hotel?" It's pronounced "you guyz-ez" and is similar to "y'all's"

I did hear yinz every once in a while as well.
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 07:38:25 pm
In Philly, similar questions would be:

"Where is you's guys going?"

"Is this you's guys-es car?"

"Hey you's guys!  What's happening, yo?"

"You's guys want to go get a hoagie?"

I have to fight myself to not speak that way, and say "water" instead of the local "wudder" or add Rs where they are not needed, like in Pavilion (instead of the local "Pervillion") or Photographer (Fur-tog-ruh-fur).
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: CortJstr on September 28, 2004, 08:27:44 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I have to fight myself to not speak that way, and say "water" instead of the local "wudder" or add Rs where they are not needed, like in Pavilion (instead of the local "Pervillion") or Photographer (Fur-tog-ruh-fur).

I have to struggle not to add Ts. I still say acrosst. My family still argues that they don't have Pennsyltucky accents and they all talk that way. So to me things like across and pen sound really funny to me when pronounced correctly.
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: jough on September 28, 2004, 08:28:37 pm
Yes, they say "acrost" here too.

But Pen?  How the hell else would you say it?
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on September 28, 2004, 08:31:12 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I swear I did something mildly interesting in Pittsburgh once.  It was some kind of botanical gardeny place inside a greenhousey thing.  Yeah, that's a big help.

The zoo was not so great, I think.  Otherwise all I remember was being lost looking for an interesting sounding Chinese resturant in the suburbs.

C'mon, people, we have to be able to do better for August than this.


That thar'd be Phipp's Conservatory (http://www.phipps.conservatory.org/).
Title: Pittsburgh?
Post by: CortJstr on September 28, 2004, 08:36:27 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yes, they say "acrost" here too.

But Pen?  How the hell else would you say it?

My mom does with most S words. Like ludacrisst.

They're really lax about vowels over there so short Es and Is are impossible to tell apart. So when somebody asks for a pin you have to ask if they mean "like a straight pin or a writing pin?" This is also why the word red means "to clear off." Because it's a corruption of rid (of clutter). So I'd be told to "red the table for dinner."

Also no word ever, EVER, ends in a long O. That car company? Volva. Glass things built into the walls? Windas.