The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on September 29, 2004, 10:58:10 am

Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: wombat on September 29, 2004, 10:58:10 am
Link (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09292004)

OK, as the resident Out Of It Old Fart, let me be the first to say I don't recognize the guy in the middle, and maybe I recognize the third guy but still don't get the joke even with the help of the alt-text.

(Edited to add link to strip, 2013-02-09 - PMc)
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: V-Adore on September 29, 2004, 11:55:13 am
I think the joke is that vanity albums are funny? Also that Onstad couldn't be arsed to do more than about a panel of his own art today. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: andalucia on September 29, 2004, 12:52:42 pm
Maybe it's because I just woke up early to commute to the computer lab, filled with the bitterness of much coffee, but I didn't really find this that funny.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2004, 12:56:33 pm
What?  Mr. T!  That's internet comedy GOLD!


Take my wife!  Please!
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: arkabee on September 29, 2004, 01:08:01 pm
i firmly believe that is Charle Sheen in the 2nd album.  His album title is bizarre enough to be quite amusing to me.

Mr T's album name, however, makes me disbelieve.

and, lastly, is Bjorn from ABBA?  why would someone from a BAND have a vanity album?
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: CortJstr on September 29, 2004, 02:26:55 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
What?  Mr. T!  That's internet comedy GOLD!

Didn't he eat somebody's balls (http://www.bookofratings.com/webfads1.html) once?
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: jough on September 29, 2004, 04:35:50 pm
Wow.  I am just struck by how lame this strip is.  Weiner Supply?  Is that like Air Supply, but with weiners?

Yes, that's Charlie Sheen in the middle.  I'll assume that "private restaurant" is another coochie euphemism?

I mean, I don't expect them all to be clever, but it looks like he dug this strip idea out of his "GRATE NEW IDEAS!" notebook that he wrote when he was eleven.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: Turbo Ninja on September 29, 2004, 04:42:52 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I think in order we have a famous tennis player (Borg), a coat-tails riding spawn of famous (Charlie), and a former bouncer (Lawrence Tero).

None of which made this very entertaining.  I'll tune back in tomorrow.


The Bjorn in question is not the tennis player but indeed him from ABBA.  Run a Google Image Search for "Bjorn ABBA" and you'll be rewarded with, among others, this:
(http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:0sQjIy6Ry1QJ:www.dreamdust.co.uk/images/)
which appears to be the source for the album artwork.

And it might have to become my new avatar.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: jough on September 29, 2004, 06:24:54 pm
Why would you make that your avatar?   As a constant reminder of the worst of Achewood?

You people KNOW how I feel about ugly avatars.  It's just so much easier to delete your account than to change your avatar to something prettier.

I'm just saying.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 29, 2004, 07:56:32 pm
The reruns were better, and they were all random non-sequitors yanked out of storylines. I would have used one-offs for a re-run week or run a short storyline, but hey, I'm not the funny cartoonist. But one could argue that, today, neither is Onstad. We all have off days. I'm sure it's hard to get back into it after laying around in Kauai (even though Kauai is getting a little built up)
Title: Hulk Hogan & The Wrestling Boot Band
Post by: designbot on September 29, 2004, 11:16:13 pm
I don't know if the other albums are real, but I actually own a copy of Hulk Rules by Hulk Hogan & The Wrestling Boot Band (don't ask), and I can assure you that it is probably the worst album ever recorded to disc. I implore you, if you value your ears or your sanity, even a little, do not ever ever even consider subjecting yourself to Hulkster in Heaven (http://www.hulkhoganhq.com/music/hulksterinheaven.mp3), Beach Patrol (http://www.hulkhoganhq.com/music/beachpatrol.mp3), or perhaps worst of all, the ostensible single, I Want To Be A Hulkamaniac (http://www.hulkhoganhq.com/music/iwanttobeahulkamaniac.mp3), which includes the following immortal verses—rapped by one Mr. Hogan.

Quote
Try to do good each and every day
Don't give 'em—nothin'—bad to say
Always go swimmin' with a buddy
Work real hard and always study
If you want to be—real, real cool
Don't be so stupid and play the fool
Get your education each and every day
These are all the things that the 'Maniacs say
Title: Re: Hulk Hogan & The Wrestling Boot Band
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2004, 11:21:44 pm
Quote from: "The Hulkster"


Try to do good each and every day
Don't give 'em—nothin'—bad to say
Always go swimmin' with a buddy
Work real hard and always study
If you want to be—real, real cool
Don't be so stupid and play the fool
Get your education each and every day
These are all the things that the 'Maniacs say


My Love Ain't Freeeee!
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: CortJstr on September 29, 2004, 11:33:19 pm
Oh yeah (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CF348/qid=1096500610/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/104-5151192-8268707?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)!
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2004, 11:45:46 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Oh yeah (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CF348/qid=1096500610/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl15/104-5151192-8268707?v=glance&s=music&n=507846)!


The reviews are the best part.

BROTHER!
Title: Mr. T's Commandments
Post by: designbot on September 30, 2004, 12:02:40 am
In the same odd "after-school public service announcement/self-aggrandizing macho wrestler rap" vein, we have Mr. T's real-life vanity album, sadly named not Education Supply (er, or Weiner Supply) but rather Mr. T's Commandments (http://rateyourmusic.com/view_album_details/album_id_is_37264). If there's a lesson for us here, I think it's "Don't try to out-lame the 80's." It just can't be faked.
The album includes such inspiring tracks as:
[list=1]
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 08:29:20 am
Yeah, I wasn't completely satisfied with this strip when I posted it. Thing is, I was extremely tired from vacation jet lag and a long day out with friends, and was not able to do the best job on the strip. I'll probably work it for a little while yet. I know some people don't like that I do that, but tough beans. You get what you pay for. Always remember: Achewood is not a boyfriend who loves you. It is a boyfriend with a different sense of responsibility, like that one guy from Gilmore Girls. Do you remember, though, how the guy ends up being the best guy? Because he is sincere. Misunderstood, yes, but sincere. He has a leather jacket.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: arkabee on September 30, 2004, 01:25:00 pm
if achewood is that boyfriend on that teevee show,
then this messageboard is like the viewers at home.

we yell at the teevee "NO! don't go into the closet you stupid bastard!"
because it is fun, but we realize the teevee can't hear us.
nor will shannon doherty ever take it all off.

we stand around the water cooler and we talk about his leather jacket, and how stupid the writers were to put him in a leather jacket, but we still like the writers because even though the are braindead morons who can't write a script correctly that get's shannon doherty naked, we still get the dude in his laether jacket.

i use to watch the Golden Girls, i don't remember this gentleman.  is he a Beaux of Blanche?
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: V-Adore on September 30, 2004, 01:38:43 pm
There is a part me that is perversely tempted to yell out something brief and unpleasant in ALL CAPS and then lock this thread.

But I won't.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: fuddes on September 30, 2004, 02:45:33 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You people KNOW how I feel about ugly avatars.


You should look at your own.

As for the strip, it was mildly amusing at first, but now that "weiner supply" has been removed, it's not funny at all.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 04:56:43 pm
My avatar is hecka-slammin.  I don't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, Education Supply is even weaker.

And the addition of the Hulkster's real album and Eddie Murphy (whose girl wants to party all the time) just bring things a little too close to reality.  I guess the joke could be that T actually BOUGHT all of these?

Ha... ha?
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: St_Zartan on September 30, 2004, 05:28:01 pm
I cannot believe that hearing / imagining Charlie Sheen's voice saying "I wish to dine... in your... private restaurant" does not strike even one of you as laugh out loud funny. That line just made my day yesterday.

Of course, I had just watched a little over half of "Men At Work" last weekend, so the Sheen Smarm (Schmarm?) was still sizzling fresh in my mind, like a grilled pineapple ring or something.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: AlohaDawg on September 30, 2004, 06:35:01 pm
So rather than a new strip today, we get to have two actual vanity albums added to a hella weak strip?

Who says you can't be on vacation at home?

Also, did it change from Wiener Supply to Education Supply and BACK to Wiener Supply?

This is liking putting lipstick and a wig on a pig. The funny ain't coming to this one.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 07:11:52 pm
The alt-text is better now, at least.
Title: I think it needs to be said
Post by: athodyd, a guest on October 01, 2004, 04:46:45 am
that this is not only the worst forum ever, but contains a good number of history's worst criminals. V-Adore, can you actually present any useful reason at all why NATO shouldn't assemble a multinational task force dedicated solely to tracking you down, kicking down your door (in the process damaging a very valuable and culturally significant Record of Lodoss War wallscroll), and holding your chubby little head down the toilet while a multiethnic chorus of children sings "Achewood is entirely free, presented more frequently than any webcomic save Jerkcity, and is solely the intellectual property of one Chris Onstad, so maybe whining and crying to the person who is the actual physical reason you have a message board where you can make remarkably banal OLDE ENGLISHE LOL jokes in your signature file instead of just beating off to User Friendly and taking a nap is sort of a stupid thing to do?"

I assure you, the song rhymes quite well in Esperanto.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: V-Adore on October 01, 2004, 04:51:51 am
Oh, someone's just trying too hard now.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: Limmo on October 01, 2004, 05:18:30 am
Hey, welcome to the boards, athodyd.

ETA: :roll:
Title: Re: I think it needs to be said
Post by: jough on October 01, 2004, 05:19:52 am
Quote from: "athodyd, a guest"
that this is not only the worst forum ever, but contains a good number of history's worst criminals. V-Adore, can you actually present any useful reason at all why NATO shouldn't assemble a multinational task force dedicated solely to tracking you down, kicking down your door (in the process damaging a very valuable and culturally significant Record of Lodoss War wallscroll), and holding your chubby little head down the toilet while a multiethnic chorus of children sings "Achewood is entirely free, presented more frequently than any webcomic save Jerkcity, and is solely the intellectual property of one Chris Onstad, so maybe whining and crying to the person who is the actual physical reason you have a message board where you can make remarkably banal OLDE ENGLISHE LOL jokes in your signature file instead of just beating off to User Friendly and taking a nap is sort of a stupid thing to do?"

I assure you, the song rhymes quite well in Esperanto.


Gee.
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: V-Adore on October 01, 2004, 05:21:43 am
Anyway, athodyd, what have you thought of the latest run of strips? Any particular favorites -- now or in the past? (I ended up re-reading the entire "hackin' Yahoo" storyline while attempting to CJ Beef's "cat" pose; funny, funny stuff.)
Title: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: CortJstr on October 01, 2004, 12:43:23 pm
I thought Record of Lodoss War was highly overrated.
Title: Message from the Future
Post by: AKKOLADE on February 09, 2013, 09:51:38 pm
It's probably illegal to reply to an eight and a quarter-year old thread, but Achewood's dead and so's this board so fuck it. Just wanted to say that all a'yalls bitches are (were) whiny little sodhats. This comic may not have been a classic, but it was chuckle-worthy. "Good but not great" isn't a bad thing to be. So there, the past.
Title: Re: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: AugustWest on February 10, 2013, 01:31:32 am
What the hell is an ache-wood?
Title: Re: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 10, 2013, 01:59:53 am
AKKKKKKOOOLLLAAADE IN DA HOUSE!
Title: Re: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: AKKOLADE on February 12, 2013, 01:13:51 pm
CURSE YOU ASHERDAN
Title: Re: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: AKKOLADE on February 14, 2013, 09:16:31 pm
HOW DARE YOU

HOW DARE DARE DARE YOU
Title: Re: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: jaydub on February 14, 2013, 10:25:19 pm
1983?!  1983!!  I can't believe the movie is that old.
Title: Re: I was just bjorn that way Sept 29 04
Post by: AKKOLADE on February 15, 2013, 11:48:16 am
Inevitable reference to the dtv sequel.