The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 08:20:07 am

Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 08:20:07 am
Hello all,

This is Chris, the cartoonist of the Achewood strip! I am excited to have found this community of devoted Achewood scholars and fans. Everyone knows that it would be flattering to have people who actively chronicle and discuss their work. I am regularly amused by the day-to-day discussions which take place here at achewood.plagiarist.com, and I thought it would be good if I could help people to know basic things about the strips when they have questions. Consider me your on-call resource, and you can reach me here (I usually delete all my email because it is about obscene drugs).

A huge love-kiss with some parts of the kiss going into the ear,
/C
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Bozack on September 30, 2004, 03:30:16 pm
.....Whoaa...I'm gonna let Jough or one of the old hands deal with this. Great to see you like us, though.


We like you.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 04:51:09 pm
Uh-huh.

Just pack it up now, homeboy, or we'll let Comcast know you're using their services to pretend to be someone else.

Oh, nice hijaaking of the chris.onstad alias at Gmail too.  Hopefully the real Chris Onstad won't have wanted that one.

Dick.



P.S. How are things in Virginia?
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: V-Adore on September 30, 2004, 06:16:07 pm
BRING THE STRONG SACK, JOUGH

whoo
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 06:28:11 pm
I think the first thing we need to do is establish that I am who I say I am. Why doesn't one of the mods email me a question and I can answer it here?
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: AugustWest on September 30, 2004, 06:43:51 pm
What would that prove.  Why don't you post what today's alt-text will be before you publish today's strip?
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 06:46:55 pm
Sounds fair. The alt text will be, "Monotremes enjoy a good oil salad."
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 07:11:05 pm
Quote from: "c_onstad"
I think the first thing we need to do is establish that I am who I say I am. Why doesn't one of the mods email me a question and I can answer it here?


Okay, fair enough.

I sent an e-mail to chris@achewood.com, Chris Onstad's posted e-mail address.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 07:30:52 pm
Okay, well, while this seemed just highly improbable to me this is in fact the real Chris Onstad, creator of Achewood.

At least, this is someone who has access to the achewood.com e-mail address.  

I suppose the only 100% convincing argument would be if something on Achewood.com mentions this board, but otherwise we should perhaps give Mr. Onstad a warmer welcome.

I'm sure he understands our incredulity after all this time of not posting, and also of people basically being idiots much of the time on the World Wide Web.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Bozack on September 30, 2004, 07:31:59 pm
.....Hi, Real Live Onstad!
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 07:36:22 pm
Hello, all. Thank you Jough, for believing that email from chris@achewood.com might actually be coming from me.

It was fun to see that I could not register as "Chris Onstad" because that username had been banned. Tight ship, etc.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 07:38:26 pm
Quote from: "c_onstad"
Hello, all. Thank you Jough, for believing that email from chris@achewood.com might actually be coming from me.

It was fun to see that I could not register as "Chris Onstad" because that username had been banned. Tight ship, etc.


I could change your user name if you'd prefer to "Chris Onstad."

That is, once we get some kind of Achewood.com verification.

I suppose the Communists are to blame for my suspicious nature.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 07:44:48 pm
Verification coming in about half an hour. I'm drawing speech bubbles and formatting dialogue.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 07:48:26 pm
Quote from: "c_onstad"
Sounds fair. The alt text will be, "Monotremes enjoy a good oil salad."


This alt-text has me looking forward to the strip more than I would have otherwise.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: V-Adore on September 30, 2004, 07:49:37 pm
Well, huh.

Welcome and such.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 07:51:08 pm
I have always enjoyed your unmitigated ambivalence, "V-Adore." Even when you (seem) to enjoy things.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: AugustWest on September 30, 2004, 07:52:16 pm
Why now?  To what do we owe this honor?  Just trying to make us feel guilty about the nasty things we say about you?
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: V-Adore on September 30, 2004, 07:54:52 pm
Quote from: "c_onstad"
I have always enjoyed your unmitigated ambivalence, "V-Adore." Even when you (seem) to enjoy things.

Wow, can I put that on my resume? "Chris Onstad (the real one, we went through several confirmation steps) enjoys my unmitigated ambivalence. Even when I enjoy things, or seem to -- especially when I enjoy things, or seem to, it is implied. I am fully prepared to bring that unmitigated ambivalence to your workplace environment."
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 07:58:52 pm
I think it was the thing about Jough insisting that a "stinker" was male ejaculate. That broke the camel's back. Jough was completely off on that one.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 08:03:01 pm
It was the 1 tsp in volume, which is about the amount of jit.  So it made sense.  Of course, I didn't understand why it would be a "stinker" but you've come up with some other odd nicknames for common bodily functions as well, so it wasn't outside the realm of possibility.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: AugustWest on September 30, 2004, 08:09:49 pm
Yeah, well if it's really you Onstad, why don't you quit farting around on the intarweb and put today's damn strip up!
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 08:12:51 pm
I am too busy reading message boards!

The strip will post in about half an hour. Faster, if you fall asleep for half an hour.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: jough on September 30, 2004, 08:15:17 pm
Don't think that we will complain about your daily free content any less now that you're posting here. ;)
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 08:24:10 pm
"Of offering more than what I can deliver, I have a bad habit, it is true. But I have to offer more than I can deliver, to be able to deliver what I do."

- Ken Kesey
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Chris Onstad on September 30, 2004, 08:30:23 pm
What I enjoy is YOU
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: wombat on September 30, 2004, 08:31:42 pm
Oh for pete's sake, now I'm probably going to go back to being afraid to post anything, and it's just such damn bad timing, what with me not having a job or a life and all right now.

Well, it could still be another of Jough's elaborate practical jokes at the moment, so at least I can go ahead and post for now.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: AugustWest on September 30, 2004, 08:36:20 pm
Please don't quit posting as I would miss you pitifully.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: CortJstr on September 30, 2004, 08:36:26 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "c_onstad"
I have always enjoyed your unmitigated ambivalence, "V-Adore." Even when you (seem) to enjoy things.

Wow, can I put that on my resume? "Chris Onstad (the real one, we went through several confirmation steps) enjoys my unmitigated ambivalence. Even when I enjoy things, or seem to -- especially when I enjoy things, or seem to, it is implied. I am fully prepared to bring that unmitigated ambivalence to your workplace environment."

Dammit, every time I hear the word ambivilant I picture Roberty Llewelyn making a face like a dog eating a toffee. Damn you Red Dwarf!

Anyway. I only vaguely remember interacting with Chris on the old board. Generally in the form of the masses complaining about something he changed after posting and him explaining the new way is funnier and we're just scared of change.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: wombat on September 30, 2004, 08:47:00 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Please don't quit posting as I would miss you pitifully.


Aw shucks.  Thank you, I needed that today.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 01, 2004, 01:35:54 pm
Um, never mind.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 01, 2004, 04:58:26 pm
Hi, Chris, and welcome.  I bought a personalized cookbook right before you went on vacation, if that makes you like me any more than you would have just on board merit.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Va on October 01, 2004, 05:08:18 pm
Wow, it's like seeing Jesus at church!
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: jay-ell on October 01, 2004, 05:13:12 pm
Well I'll be schnookered.  

Jough assures me (via Pedro, since I'm never here*) that Onstad does indeed walk among us.  (Except replace "walk" with "type," if you're going to be all symantical and such.)  

I silently doubted you, Onstad, but I'm glad I waited 'til Jough verified your identity before making an ass of myself.  Now at least I can become an ass with purpose.  

A thousand welcomes, as someone who thoroughly and honestly enjoyed your company on the "old board," I'm glad you decided to join us here.  I hope that we're less burdensome when you don't feel the need to actively monitor each thread.  I know *I* have seen a serious drop in my angst level since I announced my semi-permanent vacation.  Lugging around an iron fist with which to rule is hard work.

*I'm not even here now.  
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Formica on October 01, 2004, 06:02:09 pm
Hi Onstad. Thanks for coming by.

Does this mean we can start asking you scary, in depth questions about your comic strip?
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Mantonio on October 01, 2004, 08:10:19 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Hi Onstad. Thanks for coming by.

Does this mean we can start asking you scary, in depth questions about your comic strip?


You mean, like, What's Lyle's last name or What's Todd's favoriite kind of cake and why can't he read?

EDIT: Or also: Why doesn't Liebot have a blog?
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 01, 2004, 09:09:40 pm
Quote from: "Formica"
Hi Onstad. Thanks for coming by.

Does this mean we can start asking you scary, in depth questions about your comic strip?


I already asked a long time ago.  The answer was, "No, it's just a comic strip.  It's supposed to be funny.  I wouldn't take that too seriously."

Fortunately the answer arrived in time to prevent me from taking BLISTER's secret advice to poison the water system.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Formica on October 02, 2004, 12:28:53 am
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Formica"
Hi Onstad. Thanks for coming by.

Does this mean we can start asking you scary, in depth questions about your comic strip?


You mean, like, What's Lyle's last name or What's Todd's favoriite kind of cake and why can't he read?

EDIT: Or also: Why doesn't Liebot have a blog?

Nah. Specifically, I am hung up on the difference between the characters "lives" and their "acting in the comic strip." This line has been blurred so much I can't keep up anymore. I liked the idea that Ray got all huffy because people kept asking him about the strip in Ray's Place, but now in the blogs it is much less clear what we're reading about, if you will.

I have dedicated far too much brainpower to this.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Mantonio on October 02, 2004, 01:42:31 am
Quote from: "Formica"
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Quote from: "Formica"
Hi Onstad. Thanks for coming by.

Does this mean we can start asking you scary, in depth questions about your comic strip?


You mean, like, What's Lyle's last name or What's Todd's favoriite kind of cake and why can't he read?

EDIT: Or also: Why doesn't Liebot have a blog?
I have dedicated far too much brainpower to this.


That's how people sprain their brains, contemplating all this third wall stuff. Whenever that happens to me I medicate mine with substances.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: AugustWest on October 02, 2004, 03:43:32 am
Quote from: "Va"
Wow, it's like seeing Jesus at church!


Va, You..Are..Rad..
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: slink on October 02, 2004, 02:38:32 pm
Eeeek.
I go away for a few days and what happens...
Howdy. Welcome to the board.

Hope it all settles down sometime...
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: andalucia on October 02, 2004, 05:29:17 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio
That's how people sprain their brains, contemplating all this third wall stuff. Whenever that happens to me I medicate mine with substances.


I am of the staunch opinion that we do not hear nearly enough about the third wall these days.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: linnea on October 15, 2004, 02:34:30 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Va"
Wow, it's like seeing Jesus at church!


Va, You..Are..Rad..


Wow. I just got my old Win98 laptop shipped up from Denver, and this is the first internet access that I have gotten here at my home in the Aleutians.  And I log on, and Onstad is posting on my favorite message board.

Welcome, Chris.  I am happy to see you here.  Please tell Ray that I'm sorry for all the suicide/relationship questions. And I still love your work, even though you have such a vicious bias against Scottish Folds.

Here is a picture of Milan...the one who wrote Ray telling him "fuck you" from all the Scottish Folds of the world.

(http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/milan/milan_003.jpg)
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: AugustWest on October 15, 2004, 02:52:04 am
Linnea!

How is Alaska?  Cold?  Have you planned any urbans yet?
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: andalucia on October 15, 2004, 03:21:49 am
Hi Linnea!
We want Alaska stories!
Title: Chris Onstad
Post by: Nabubrush on October 19, 2004, 11:50:01 pm
Hey what the hell, this one's worth a post. Pretty cool - glad it happened finally.

Hi Chris. Love the blogs.
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: wombat on October 20, 2004, 01:00:57 am
Nabu!  We missed you!  Don't leave us again!
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: AugustWest on October 20, 2004, 01:23:59 am
Nabu! Nabu! Nabu!
Title: Hello from Chris Onstad
Post by: Nabubrush on October 27, 2004, 11:22:37 pm
I appreciate the kind words, though I'm sorry that Linnea and I were only ships passing in the night - enjoy Alaska!