The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Choop on October 01, 2004, 05:30:41 am

Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Choop on October 01, 2004, 05:30:41 am
Quote from: "jough"
Is today Asshole New Member Day on the forums?


I think it's a bunch of lurkers peeved about our treatment of Onstad is all. Give it a week, they'll be gone. If not, then, welcome all! Try not to break the vase on the entry table, it's a souvenir from our sojourn from Dumbrella, from where we were roundly ejected some months ago.

Chris: thanks for the free entertainment, and the iffy t-shirt I bought. I like your comic strip very much, and wish you success. Our parade is still damp under the collar from the last time you rained on it, and our harshness toward you is merely a protective measure to make sure it doesn't hurt so much should it happen again.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 01, 2004, 05:35:39 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
our sojourn from Dumbrella, from where we were roundly ejected some months ago.


You weren't personally ejected as people, I decided to stop running a forum, and Jeff/Joe/D'oh took up the reins. I took a break from it. Now I am here as a measure against those with moderator power claiming that a "stinker" is male ejaculate. That is squarely not the case.

And quit qvetching about our merchandise. It's top quality stuff. If you received a defective piece, we will refund or replace it in a heartbeat. This is my job, people.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: V-Adore on October 01, 2004, 05:38:53 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

And quit qvetching about our merchandise. It's top quality stuff. If you received a defective piece, we will refund or replace it in a heartbeat. This is my job, people.

Does this offer extend to discontinued merchandise? I have a Sanryobuki shirt with a design that at this point is almost entirely shredded, even with regular inside-out washing. (I would assume it was age, but I have several older shirts that are in better shape, and the Rabbit Ambulance shirt I bought at the same time is still pristine.)
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 01, 2004, 05:42:07 am
V-Adore, If you think your shirt aged ahead of schedule, then please send it back. We're not in the business of disappointment. We'd be happy to refund or offer store credit.

We sell hundreds of shirts a month and sometimes the ink on one or two isn't perfectly cured. I'm sorry you came across one that might be defective.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Limmo on October 01, 2004, 05:45:05 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Does this offer extend to discontinued merchandise? I have a Sanryobuki shirt with a design that at this point is almost entirely shredded, even with regular inside-out washing. (I would assume it was age, but I have several older shirts that are in better shape, and the Rabbit Ambulance shirt I bought at the same time is still pristine.)


My almost-instantly-destroyed-by-washing Sanyrobuki shirt went to Goodwill months ago, otherwise I would be making the same request.  No complaints about either Todd shirt, though.  FYI.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on October 01, 2004, 05:46:14 am
At last, a message board thread that allows me to live out my "YOU are the Better Business Bureau" fantasy IN REAL TIME

Take that, Japan

EDIT: Having said that, this forum of generally trustworthy and decent people is / are the reason I never ordered that Prime Time Records t-shirt. I am a guy who does his own laundry and if Sensible People are having their shirts die, an idiot like me would probably destroy such a shirt with My First Laundry Attempt.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 01, 2004, 05:55:56 am
I'm sorry your Sanryobuki shirt didn't age well. Our shirts are the typical 100% cotton, with heat-cured ink, so I don't know why these two appeared problematic. We didn't receive any complaints about them. We want to know if someone gets something that seems defective; this is our livelihood.  

The 15 or so other designs have all aged well, and we receive plenty of happiness from customers. I've got several of them myself and even the fine lines of the Science design have handled the merciless spinning machines.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Choop on October 01, 2004, 06:10:27 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
our sojourn from Dumbrella, from where we were roundly ejected some months ago.

You weren't personally ejected as people, I decided to stop running a forum, and Jeff/Joe/D'oh took up the reins.

No, we weren't personally ejected as people - in fact, I continue to read and post on occasion at Dumbrella. We were ejected from the place we had to discuss Achewood. Why couldn't Jough and JLDunston have been trusted to run the very same Achewood board at Dumbrella that you "decided to stop running" ?

Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
And quit qvetching about our merchandise. It's top quality stuff. If you received a defective piece, we will refund or replace it in a heartbeat. This is my job, people.

I'll kvetch all I want - it's my right as a consumer and my responsibility as a customer. The piece is not defective, it's iffy. I can't wear my science ringer as an outershirt due to the fact that the material is thin and my nipples are clearly visible through it (I may have an issue or two there). Plus, though it fits at the shoulders, it's far too short to have actually qualified as a "Large" which I ordered and the tag says it is.

Let's take the merch talk into a different thread, though, folks. It's entirely inappropriate here.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: V-Adore on October 01, 2004, 06:16:50 am
The offer is appreciated, Chris, but honestly, I don't want a refund at this late date, and I have no desire whatsoever for store credit (I doubt there's anything I could use it for, anyway).

Also, I'm hardly blaming you (I understand that some garment quality issues are not under your control and that no standardization of lots of shirts is going to produce a 100% perfection rate), but if there's anywhere we have a right to kvetch about merchandise that wasn't satisfactory for whatever reason, it's here. We got some raw deals; it probably wasn't your fault, and you've done everything reasonably in your power to satisfy us, but, well, a raw deal is a raw deal.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 01, 2004, 06:25:10 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
a raw deal is a raw deal.


No, there is no raw deal as long as the vendor is willing to take care of potentially defective merchandise. Our doors are open.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 01, 2004, 08:46:08 am
Interestingly, this forum has just started to show signs of sucking in the past few days. After a year plus.

Innnnn-teresting.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: andalucia on October 01, 2004, 01:10:23 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Interestingly, this forum has just started to show signs of sucking in the past few days. After a year plus.

Innnnn-teresting.


Not having a computer, it was a day or two since I've last been here, but yeah, this is different and lame.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 01, 2004, 02:14:39 pm
I gotta side with Chris on this one.  He's offering to make it right and standing behind his product.  What else could he do to improve the situation?  Dude can't gin his own cotton, can he?
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: V-Adore on October 01, 2004, 02:31:01 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I gotta side with Chris on this one.  He's offering to make it right and standing behind his product.  What else could he do to improve the situation?  Dude can't gin his own cotton, can he?

I am impressed with the offers he's making, yeah. I don't want to imply that I'm in any way criticizing him for it -- the commitment to the product is noble. If I refuse the offer, it's with regrets. (Most of my reluctance to seek a refund is, well, that the shirt I'd be getting refunded for is months old and did get a decent period of use in those months; also, it may well be my fault, or the fault of my college's crappy laundry equipment, that it's become hell of decrepit. I have no desire to scam Onstad out of fifteen bucks for a used T-shirt.)
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 01, 2004, 06:41:27 pm
Yes it is admirable that he has a policy to take care of people who receive the occasional bad item.

How about he communicates in private to his dissatisfied customers and posts his very reasonable policies on his own site? I mean, do I need to know that Choop has brass nipples that exude acid and destroy shirts? Do I need to picture V-adore in a shredded Sanryobuki T-shirt? Does Jough's bandwidth need to support Chris' business?

Well, maybe the second. Anyhow, my point is that this thread is (to my mind) just plain old doesn't belong anywhere on this board.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: ferocious j on October 01, 2004, 06:44:05 pm
My SCIENCE shirt has been basically without flaw since I got it over a year ago.  Are you people washing your shirts in blenders or something?

I turn mine inside-out before I wash it, but then again I thought this was standard procedure for any shirt that had some sort of writing on it.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: jough on October 01, 2004, 06:48:28 pm
This board is only advertising for Achewood in an ancillary fashion (excuse the pun).

I'm willing to allow Achewood merchandise discussion if it remains in this one clearly marked thread.

If he starts hawking his t-shirts and stuff in every post then it's Deletin' Time.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 01, 2004, 07:01:00 pm
I, too, would prefer to handle customer service via email, not on a discussion board. Thanks all.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Kapow on October 01, 2004, 07:07:00 pm
Quote from: "jough"
If he starts hawking his t-shirts and stuff in every post then it's Deletin' Time.

What the fuck kind of lunatic power trip are you people on?  Someone said "iffy t-shirt", he responded to it, people started complaining about merchandise, he addressed the complaints, and you come romping in wearing your blanket-cape and burger king crown yelling HEY ONSTAD DON'T TRY TO SELL STUFF HERE OR I'LL DELETE IT I'M WARNING YOU!!!  Get over yourself.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: jough on October 01, 2004, 07:11:32 pm
Sometimes it helps if you read the entire post before replying to it.

My point was that the rules are no different here for Chris Onstad than they are for Kapow or V-Adore.  

I have no problem with him responding to posts about people's problems with their merchandise.  Surely it would be better for all if they had e-mailed him with complaints rather than just vented on a message board, but the Achewood store doesn't seem to have a customer service dept., and people generally don't consider that a store of any kind will replace a t-shirt if the writing gets washed off.

So it's nice that the Achewood store has that policy - it'd be nicer if it were posted somewhere on the store site - but this isn't Achewood.com.  If Onstad (or anyone else) wants to advertise here we have advertising rates available to him.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 01, 2004, 07:15:34 pm
Quote from: "jough"
but the Achewood store doesn't seem to have a customer service dept


My wife handles all customer service, five days a week. orders@achewood.com

Our store policies:
http://www.achewood.com/shop/shopfaq.php

We don't currently have a policy for people whose shirts age prematurely because we've never come across it before. I offered to help V-Adore with her shirt because it sounded defective (although the damaging ways people come up with to wash clothing will scare you).

Probably time to close this thread before it consumes all of our weekends.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: arkabee on October 01, 2004, 10:47:24 pm
i have some ##### that say not to use fabirc softener with them.

i'm frightened one morning i'm doing laundry i'll be sleepy and forget and accidentally toss a dryer sheet in with them.

i'm afraid of my #####.

there.  i've said it, and i feel much better.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 02, 2004, 03:50:21 am
HaHA!  Choop has brass nipples!
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 02, 2004, 12:46:09 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Interestingly, this forum has just started to show signs of sucking in the past few days. After a year plus.

Innnnn-teresting.


It's because I forgot to read it. What the hell people? I come back after a couple months, and people are heckling a cartoonist on the subject of garment quality?

Is this where our tax dollars go? I rather miss the Cold War.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 02, 2004, 05:23:45 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
It's because I forgot to read it. What the hell people? I come back after a couple months, and people are heckling a cartoonist on the subject of garment quality?

Is this where our tax dollars go? I rather miss the Cold War.


Ack!  Bobby's back!  Everyone hide the hard stuff!  Ack!!
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 02, 2004, 05:41:58 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
It's because I forgot to read it. What the hell people? I come back after a couple months, and people are heckling a cartoonist on the subject of garment quality?

Is this where our tax dollars go? I rather miss the Cold War.


Ack!  Bobby's back!  Everyone hide the hard stuff!  Ack!!



Back . . . now with Jesus Punches! (http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/jesuspunches.rm)
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: slink on October 02, 2004, 06:23:20 pm
I just figure it worth pointing out before this goes, that in reply to Choop's point about the size - It would be good if you could put measurements up on the store for the shirt sizes, if there aren't already, as I have bought a few shirts and things from online stores and XL always ends up being a whole variety of sizes from what I would consider small to XXL. Thinkgeek I think it is who gave measurements wich helped a lot and got me perfectly sized tees.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 02, 2004, 08:08:47 pm
Quote from: "slink"
It would be good if you could put measurements up on the store for the shirt sizes, if there aren't already


Every Achewood shop page on which you can purchase a piece of apparel has a link to a garment sizing page. The information on the garment sizing page is directly from the manufacturer. Buy with confidence!
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: slink on October 03, 2004, 01:52:32 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

Every Achewood shop page on which you can purchase a piece of apparel has a link to a garment sizing page.


Doh. Excellent. I was just too busy/lazy to CJ it.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Va on October 03, 2004, 07:12:45 pm
Here's a comment that's actually about Achewood merchandise.

Chris Onstad, have you ever considered offering Achewood-themed baby and children's apparel in the Achewood store?  My imminent daughter really needs a "Here Comes A Special Girl" onesie.

UPDATE:  I see you do have children's clothes now.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: V-Adore on October 03, 2004, 11:17:09 pm
Wow, I go away for the weekend and my name starts being taken in vain.

Anyway! Just to make this clear -- I have no problem with the general quality of Achewood merch. I'm wearing my Rabbit Ambulance shirt right now, and the logo is impeccable, just as nice as it was when I got it; it's the same age as the Sanryobuki shirt and has generally been washed at the same time, so I'm inclined to agree that it's just that individual shirt's problem. I also have a Here Comes a Special Boy and a Science shirt, both of which are aging fairly gracefully and look quite good for their age and wear.

So I guess what I mean to say is that I generally endorse this product and/or service, is all.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 04, 2004, 08:51:22 am
Quote from: "Va"
have you ever considered offering Achewood-themed baby and children's apparel in the Achewood store?  


Our trusted garment manufacturer now offers a black baby one-piece, which will contrast nicely with our ink colors. Observe this prototype:

(http://www.achewood.com/rsrc/img/boy_onepiece.jpg)

As we continue to test prints/fabrics we'll be expanding our children's line on down into infant territory. We hope to have infant/toddler pieces available around Christmas.  

A DACHSHUND HAS BEEN ADDED TO PROTECT THE TRULY INNOCENT
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: wombat on October 04, 2004, 11:20:00 am
Finally!  The dachshund!!!
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: AugustWest on October 04, 2004, 01:06:12 pm
Yay for Dachshunds!
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 04, 2004, 01:08:39 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

A DACHSHUND HAS BEEN ADDED TO PROTECT THE TRULY INNOCENT


His name is Scrambles, and he is lost.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Va on October 04, 2004, 01:57:15 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
As we continue to test prints/fabrics we'll be expanding our children's line on down into infant territory. We hope to have infant/toddler pieces available around Christmas.


Hooray!  Just in time, my baby is due in January.  JL's is in February I think.  A-Dawg, when's your lady expected to pop?
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2004, 02:14:53 pm
That shirt* is really terrifyingly adorable.

This is all.

* also the baby in it, but I was taking that as read
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: jough on October 04, 2004, 03:33:52 pm
I was just thinking the other day that the Achewood Store needed more babies and dachshunds.

Touché, 'stad.  Touché
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: CortJstr on October 04, 2004, 03:43:44 pm
Wouldn't a baby grow out of a Special [Gender] shirt in like a day and a half?
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Bozack on October 04, 2004, 03:59:29 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

Our trusted garment manufacturer now offers a black baby one-piece, which will contrast nicely with our ink colors. Observe this prototype:

(http://www.achewood.com/rsrc/img/boy_onepiece.jpg)

OBSERVE THIS BABY.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 04, 2004, 05:18:22 pm
Though few realize from first glance, what is actually pictured is the terrifying baby-dachshund mind-meld.  Surely the baby is implanting the dog with directions that will bring him one step closer to world domination.

(Really cute baby, by the way.)

Hasn't the 'baby taking over the world' thing been done?  Sure, but now we're adding wiener dogs and putting it in a different timeslot.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 04, 2004, 07:12:02 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Wouldn't a baby grow out of a Special [Gender] shirt in like a day and a half?


Not so much babies but once they turn 4 this happens til they are about 16.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: jough on October 04, 2004, 07:18:36 pm
True, but you get a drop-off for kids wearing Achewood merch.  I mean, I can't imagine many kids would like the strip.

So you have baby clothing for adult fans to put on their children, and then small size when the kid gets old enough to appreciate the strip and enjoy it on their own.

Of course, this is assuming that a single human could wear Achewood clothing after a 15 year gap.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on March 03, 2005, 06:20:41 pm
I just saw this picture of Dorothy Gambrell of Cat and Girl with her band The Vandervoorts.  She's wearing a Special Boy shirt.

(http://photos5.flickr.com/5189750_9d567600e1.jpg)
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: wombat on March 03, 2005, 08:32:57 pm
Oh, isn't she cute.  She doesn't do herself justice in her drawings.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: CortJstr on March 03, 2005, 08:37:38 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I just saw this picture of Dorothy Gambrell of Cat and Girl with her band The Vandervoorts.  She's wearing a Special Boy shirt.

I think that's a Beef shirt but it's kind of hard to see. Maybe What We Need More Of?
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Skillator on March 03, 2005, 10:40:08 pm
Was there a king of the makeouts shirt made?
I can't remember but now I want one.
Am I going to have to make my own?
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: CortJstr on March 03, 2005, 11:54:34 pm
Quote from: "Skillator"
Was there a king of the makeouts shirt made?
I can't remember but now I want one.
Am I going to have to make my own?

Yes. It had Vlad in a parallelogram, possibly giving a thumbs up. Above it said King of the Makeouts and underneath "*****" (but with real stars instead of asterisks)
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 04, 2005, 12:22:30 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I think that's a Beef shirt...Maybe What We Need More Of?


You are correct.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: wombat on March 04, 2005, 01:10:50 am
Never mind the shirt.  Is that her boyfriend with the funny little mustache?  If so, he is, on the other hand, cuter in the drawings.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: MaxAce on March 04, 2005, 04:33:07 am
Picture of "King of the make-outs" shirt (http://achewood.com/rsrc/img/sq_king_lg.gif)
That is what the shirt looked like.

I am new.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Bozack on March 04, 2005, 05:25:52 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Never mind the shirt.  Is that her boyfriend with the funny little mustache?  If so, he is, on the other hand, cuter in the drawings.


Yeah, I think that's Chen. He can draw!



God, I'm so fuck*ng depressing.
Title: The Latest Achewood Merch Thread
Post by: Beatrice on March 04, 2005, 10:16:09 pm
Whoa this is an older post.  I'm happy to see where the Dauschaund came from, though.  And yes, the boyfriend.  He is in all her merch pictures, and I thought she got him off the street.  NO MORE!