The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bozack on October 04, 2004, 06:35:46 am

Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Bozack on October 04, 2004, 06:35:46 am
....I really like this one, but I don't get the punchline. I like the freak out lines on the penis, I like the penis falling off of the table...but what is that? Is that a Kit-Kat bar? A snap-off exacto blade?
I guess I'll just have to wait for someone to enlighten me.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: wombat on October 04, 2004, 11:26:11 am
It's tweezers.  I thought it was like in the fable, like he was removing a thorn from the penis's paw - but isn't that backwards?  Isn't the little prey animal supposed to remove a thorn from the paw of the big scary predator?

OK, so where's Chris when we need him to cut off our usual baseless speculations with actual information?  Dang West Coast slugabeds.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: starlight on October 04, 2004, 11:57:48 am
Yay!  I knew it was tweezers!  perhaps cause I see them around the house too often not to recognise 'em on the spot...

Anyway, I considered he was using the tweezer on the penis to keep it from falling and he's so light, he didn't need a bigger device... of course, I'm simple minded at times.. especially at close to 7am without sleep.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: pubdoggy on October 04, 2004, 01:03:28 pm
I thought beef was simply shaking hands with Mr penis, and utilised lab tweezers so that his proportionately huge paws wouldn't smother the little guy. It's a lovely image.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: arlucasinc on October 04, 2004, 01:05:38 pm
See now, I saw it as Beef was using the tweezers to loosen the grip of the one last hanger-on. All the other mice are off the table. This one, too, must go.

Not such a lovely image.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: AugustWest on October 04, 2004, 01:09:00 pm
I love the strip because it's open to so many interpretations.  Is Beef saving the penis?  Capturing it?  Holding it still so's he can hit it with the hammer?  Does Beef even know what he's doing?
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: arkabee on October 04, 2004, 01:10:21 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
See now, I saw it as Beef was using the tweezers to loosen the grip of the one last hanger-on. All the other mice are off the table. This one, too, must go.

Not such a lovely image.


indeed, he appeared weilding the hammer and was distraught at the the thought of *mushing* mice, but lucklily all but one fled.  left with the thought of mushing that one, he set the hammer down and got tweezers to pry up the paw of the penis so it would plummet to his doom.

so, beef equates prying the paw up of a penis holding onto a ledge so it might plummet to its doom, with lab science.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Va on October 04, 2004, 02:10:40 pm
I think those are rats.  Proportionate to Roast Beef, the rodents appear to be only a little smaller than Todd, which would make them very large mice.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2004, 02:13:33 pm
Those look to be rats, yeah.

And I love the ambiguity, too -- you really can read this strip as everything from "using the tweezers to capture the rat, albeit sort of half-assedly" to "using the tweezers to try to desperately save the rat." Also, the alt text is goddamn priceless. BUT AT WHAT COST indeed, Mr. Kazenzakis!
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Limmo on October 04, 2004, 02:32:20 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
 Dang West Coast slugabeds.


Hey!
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: wombat on October 04, 2004, 02:32:53 pm
I am not loving the ambiguity.  I desire clarification.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: V-Adore on October 04, 2004, 02:36:02 pm
.. well, now that you mention it, I'm starting to wonder myself.

It becomes eerier the longer you think about it.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: wombat on October 04, 2004, 02:37:36 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "wombat"
 Dang West Coast slugabeds.


Hey!


Aren't you some kind of musician?  You didn't get up early, you've been up all night.

The dachshund needs to jump on the bed now and wake Mr Onstad up.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Silverberg on October 04, 2004, 03:12:49 pm
This strip's rainbow of interpretations is beautiful. I almost don't want Onstad to reveal his original intent.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Limmo on October 04, 2004, 03:58:07 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Aren't you some kind of musician?  You didn't get up early, you've been up all night.


I'm a marketing director.  With a toddler.  I haven't been up all night since...well, since September 17, actually, but it weren't because of no music, I can tell you that.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: jough on October 04, 2004, 04:05:39 pm
Did Onstad change the last panel so it looks more tweezer-y?

Some of my favourite strips are those in which Beef's inner-monologue is visualised for us.

Very nice.

I also believe that Beef is loosening the paw so that the last rat falls, but of course now that I've said this Onstad will log on to post the opposite, that he is shaking hands with the little fellow, even though that would obviate his alt-text.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Choop on October 04, 2004, 04:08:36 pm
Indeed he did, jough -- they originally looked more like swiss-army knife tweezers; now they look like those one would see at such as a manicurist's station.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Noah on October 04, 2004, 04:20:13 pm
It was a paperclip before I went to sleep last night. Now it looks like tweezers, or something.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: jough on October 04, 2004, 04:33:09 pm
The cruelty of the experiement comes in the rat's CHOICE: get smashed by a hammer or plunge to its death.

I'm thinking the hammer would be faster, and would enable the rat to proffer a salutatory 'fuck you' to the scientist before shuffling off its mortal coiled tail.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: pubdoggy on October 04, 2004, 06:17:33 pm
re: plummeting/falling/fleeing to their doom - there aint no rat that aint gonna survive a 3 foot drop - rats are hell of robust

edit: beefs table can only be 1 foot high - TOPS
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 04, 2004, 07:05:38 pm
OH NO, ROAST BEEF IS REVERTING TO PRIMAL CATHOOD!

(http://www.ubikids.com/screens/tom_jerry_04.jpg)
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 04, 2004, 07:09:05 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
See now, I saw it as Beef was using the tweezers to loosen the grip of the one last hanger-on. All the other mice are off the table. This one, too, must go.

Not such a lovely image.


This is correct I think.

Quote from: "Wombat"
OK, so where's Chris when we need him to cut off our usual baseless speculations with actual information? Dang West Coast slugabeds.


Please for the love of all that is Holy, let us not turn this board into a Q and A for Chris? Can we just let him be a board member? Can we just discuss the strips in a vacuum like mortals who don't have 'access' to him?

HAVE SOME DIGNITY, PEOPLE.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: ndpatel on October 04, 2004, 07:20:00 pm
beef's killing the fucker.

the original alt-text was 'we can barely show this sort of thing, even on the internet' or some such.

that said, i still don't know what's going on here.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: wombat on October 04, 2004, 07:48:16 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


Please for the love of all that is Holy, let us not turn this board into a Q and A for Chris? Can we just let him be a board member? Can we just discuss the strips in a vacuum like mortals who don't have 'access' to him?


Nope, it's been ruined for me.  Now that I know there is some chance at getting The Answer, only The Answer will do.  I can't help it, it is the sort of person I am.

Besides jeez isn't this one just a little too obscure?
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 04, 2004, 08:55:59 pm
Obscure? Nope. To me this is clearer than figuring out what a 'stinker' is...Beef is prying up his fingers to get him to jump off the table like the rest of them.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 04, 2004, 10:07:36 pm
Quote from: "pubdoggy"
re: plummeting/falling/fleeing to their doom - there aint no rat that aint gonna survive a 3 foot drop - rats are hell of robust

edit: beefs table can only be 1 foot high - TOPS


They also make awesome pets. I used to have these two Norway rats, named 'This' and 'That'. They used to ride around on my head or shoulders. They are smart little buggers, too.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: arkabee on October 04, 2004, 10:47:01 pm
i loath the idea of the author explaining it all.  the best essence of achewood to me is the severe ambivalence the strips contain and project.

i look at the post specific threads to garner ya'll's interpretations, not to be told answers.

if it was Goats ("no, see, it didn't show but 30 years ago he had sex with a valkyrie...") or User Friendly ("no, the one on the left is the woman") i would expect answers.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: CortJstr on October 04, 2004, 11:05:56 pm
Quote from: "arkabee"
i loath the idea of the author explaining it all.  the best essence of achewood to me is the severe ambivalence the strips contain and project.

i look at the post specific threads to garner ya'll's interpretations, not to be told answers.

if it was Goats ("no, see, it didn't show but 30 years ago he had sex with a valkyrie...") or User Friendly ("no, the one on the left is the woman") i would expect answers.

We never did get an explanation for Illegal Ghost Bikes so hearing the truth on this one is unlikely.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: ndpatel on October 05, 2004, 01:14:39 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
We never did get an explanation for Illegal Ghost Bikes so hearing the truth on this one is unlikely.


that didn't need an explanation, because the joke was basically how random it was.

as opposed to this, which is funny, but in a confusing, what-the-shit-is-happening way.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 05, 2004, 01:19:05 am
You still don't need an explanation.

Seriously.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: wombat on October 05, 2004, 02:04:49 am
I've come around to thinking ADawg is right about what Beef is doing with the tweezers.  But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.   I guess I'm just never satisfied.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Formica on October 05, 2004, 02:26:33 am
While I do find the tweezers discussion quite fascinating...

Beef is a programmer. Why in the bejesus can't he get a code monkey job?
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: CortJstr on October 05, 2004, 02:49:42 am
Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.

For the same reason he thought he had to bury his new shirt.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: arkabee on October 05, 2004, 04:01:45 am
so i'm stuck doing stuff for awhile tonight, so i'm staring at today's strip hoping it will give me some deeper insight into why people seem preoccupied with the notion of me not sleeping (i need you to do "X".    -i'm not entirely sure that's even possible.-    oh, i have faith in you.    -!!!-)....

1. what is with the shadows from the chairs from panel 1.

2. there is a "motion line" from the hammer in panel 3, but not in panel 4.  i surmise and speculate that beef is waving the hammer menacingly in frame 3 (menacingly for beef, not the public at large) and in panel 4 he's "calmed" since all the rats have fled but one.

3. the "motion lines" in panel 6 confuse me.  is the rat trembling in fear?  the rat emenated head lines in the previous panels, but they seemed exclamatory.  are those eyebrows or motion lines?  or is he simply "fuzzy", a phantom penis crawling up onto the table as the "Real" rats flee the table.  Beef's subconscious desire to fight against the flow of the popular reaction to a cartoon cat with a hammer?  is he greeting him?
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 05, 2004, 04:20:48 am
Quote from: "wombat"
...why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers...


Now I think we're getting somewhere people.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 05, 2004, 05:13:38 am
See Wombat? It's like Deus ex Machina up in this Bi-atch.

I was thinking about Beef's ideation of the impossible tetris shapes during this as well; his dang ol' mind just works differn than our'n. He should be picturing people chasing HIM off a table with hammers; we all know that when they advertise for experiments in the want ads, they usually aren't looking for the scientist...
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 05, 2004, 09:08:42 am
Looking back on this thread, anyone who thinks that someone would use tweezers to shake hands with a penis that is about to fall off a table lacks the certain brain chemical (C)(H)(O)(C)(H)(A)(C)(H)(O)
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: starlight on October 05, 2004, 09:50:44 am
I'm even more tired than the night/morning before, but honestly!  shaking hands?!
[edit:  I should note that I still considered this silly before Onstad said anything about it..... I just didn't have time to post earlier when I checked this thread]

For some reason, I'm thinking my speculation isn't as silly as I thought after that one... my thought (though I didn't entirely finish it since I was about ready to fall out of my chair) was that he was picking the penis / rat up with the tweezers cause he needed one to run the experiment and all the rest ran off the table.  don't his thoughts usually involve disaster?  so the idea that they were supposed to all fall off seems ridiculous, too.

Now, I'm not sayin' the idea of him picking up the penis to bring him back on the table to do something to it with the hammer is the absolute correct answer speculation, but since I'm obviously procrastinating going to bed, I thought I'd elaborate on my theory... if one is even needed.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 05, 2004, 01:34:06 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.


Actually, I know a chick who works in a lab with mice and it's really like that.  It's all about fuck*ng with them.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: V-Adore on October 05, 2004, 03:06:09 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.


Actually, I know a chick who works in a lab with mice and it's really like that.  It's all about fuck*ng with them.

I once did an experiment in my introductory neuroscience course that involved isolating baby rats from their mothers and then testing just how long and loudly they cried under varying circumstances (alone, with some morphine, with a group of unconscious littermates, etc.). It may very well have been the saddest thing.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Va on October 05, 2004, 03:08:07 pm
It's certainly the saddest thing I've heard today.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: IsoYrBel on October 05, 2004, 03:13:33 pm
My first impression was that Beef was just shaking hands with him. I didnt even ponder anything else until I visited here. It still looks to me as though he has this hammer, the mice run, his eyes get bigger with surprise, then hes even sort of playing with his hands a bit, nervous even, having put the hammer down while he looks at this poor face still clinging on. So he either shakes hands or pulls him up. He wouldnt necessarily see the risk of shaking hands.

And the shadows in panel one I just suppose are washing.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 05, 2004, 11:12:58 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.


Actually, I know a chick who works in a lab with mice and it's really like that.  It's all about fuck*ng with them.

I once did an experiment in my introductory neuroscience course that involved isolating baby rats from their mothers and then testing just how long and loudly they cried under varying circumstances (alone, with some morphine, with a group of unconscious littermates, etc.). It may very well have been the saddest thing.


I thought the saddest thing involved retarded baby rats and broken eggs.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: IdiotIdiotIdiot on October 06, 2004, 08:45:59 am
Beef´s job is to whack the rats with the hammer, obviously he´s a bit hesitant about it, and all, but one, of the rats get away. Well, he knows he´s supposed to hurt the rat, but thinking that whacking the poor rat with a hammer is to harsh, he chooses to pinch it with tweezers.


AlohaDawg:

"They also make awesome pets. I used to have these two Norway rats, named 'This' and 'That'. They used to ride around on my head or shoulders. They are smart little buggers, too."

- I hear you, in Denmark we used to have Norwegians as pets too, but then the sweets...hmmm  sweeds? ehhh... the people from Sweden took ém away from us.

ohh, and thankyou.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: pubdoggy on October 06, 2004, 10:47:44 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Looking back on this thread, anyone who thinks that someone would use tweezers to shake hands with a penis that is about to fall off a table lacks the certain brain chemical (C)(H)(O)(C)(H)(A)(C)(H)(O)


I don't know. I DON'T KNOW what I was thinking. But still - even after all the nay-saying and the stark realisation that I may have been misinterpreting SO MANY OTHER strips - I STILL see Beef shaking hands with the rat. Hell - just because this rat is one of the very few animals that doesn't talk in Achewood, doesn't necessarily mean Beef sees him as a verminous lab experiment. Jesus, Beef and that Rat could be best friends for chrissake. HE PROBABLY HAS A NAME.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: wombat on October 06, 2004, 03:19:10 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.


Actually, I know a chick who works in a lab with mice and it's really like that.  It's all about fuck*ng with them.


Yeah, but after you fuck with them, you have to know what happened to them.  Like you have to cut them up and stuff. If they all jump off the table and run away, how do you know the results?  There is a real problem with the design of the experiment.  Like everything else in Beef's dream life I guess.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: jough on October 06, 2004, 04:28:07 pm
I suppose you're okay with his old teachers getting together to discuss his eventual diabetes then?

Does that make more sense to you?

This strip is right in line with Beef getting hell of anxiety over that impossible tetris piece.

Also, this is a cat who plays Tetris in his HEAD while DRIVING.

I really don't see this experiment idea as being out of character.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: AugustWest on October 06, 2004, 04:52:32 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "wombat"
But now I'm wondering why on earth Beef thinks that science experiments with rats would involve chasing them off a table with hammers.


Actually, I know a chick who works in a lab with mice and it's really like that.  It's all about fuck*ng with them.


Yeah, but after you fuck with them, you have to know what happened to them.  Like you have to cut them up and stuff. If they all jump off the table and run away, how do you know the results?  There is a real problem with the design of the experiment.  Like everything else in Beef's dream life I guess.


What if you just want to find out how long it takes them to jump off the table?  Or if they'll band together and swarm all over you in a horrible nibbling death mass?  Huh?  What about that?
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 06, 2004, 05:31:26 pm
Maybe the floor is covered with owls and tabby cats.
Title: Tell me of the things I can do- Monday, Oct. 4th
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 06, 2004, 07:14:50 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


I was thinking about Beef's ideation of the impossible tetris shapes during this as well;


Quote from: "Jough"

Also, this is a cat who plays Tetris in his HEAD while DRIVING.


Synergy, people. It's Groovy.

Also, I think someone needs to find a good use for the phrase 'nibbling death mass'. It's Gold.

Nibbling Death Mass: 7th Level. A number of rodents 2 d 20 x level of caster are summoned to attack. The horde has agility 19; Save against the target's agility; each round the saving throw is made the mass does 1/10 point of damage per rodent. Missed saving throw makes 1/2 times # rodents damage. The target attacks as normal; for each attack the number of rodents is reduced by the points of damage against the horde. The attack continues until either the target or the horde is out of HP. Ranged weapons can be used by other than the target but will kill only 1d3 of rodents per successful attack and have a 1/20  chance of hitting the targeted player.

Rangers or Clerics can attempt to turn the Nibbling Death Mass against the summoner one time at the beginning of the attack in lieu of attacking with weapons; Rangers use animal empathy skill and clerics use divine intervention.