The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: filas on October 06, 2004, 10:26:45 am

Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: filas on October 06, 2004, 10:26:45 am
the alt text is the best part, almost.  Nets on public school basketball hoops, then USB ports, then the alt text.

i guess cheney does not like the curly wire.  i agree with him on that as well as the kung pao riblets.  my vote is for the general.  



[personal request:  please don't get too deep into politics on this thread]
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: V-Adore on October 06, 2004, 11:45:25 am
All actual political threads will be moved. Strip time, folks.

I think I'm just in love with Beef's Cheney impression. It's so... so.... so hunchbacked and surly that it works perfectly.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 06, 2004, 12:12:32 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

I think I'm just in love with Beef's Cheney impression. It's so... so.... so hunchbacked and surly that it works perfectly.


"Look at you. You used to be so cocky. You claimed you were going to go out and conquer the world. You once called me, "a warped, frustrated, old man!" Who are you but a warped, frustrated young man, crawling in here on your hands and knees begging for help. No securities, no stocks, no bonds. Nothin' but a miserable little $500 equity in a life insurance policy. You're worth more dead than alive. "
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: AugustWest on October 06, 2004, 01:02:57 pm
Yeah, but are they on Roombas?
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: andalucia on October 06, 2004, 01:12:21 pm
Yeah, I am in agreement re: the alt text being the most rad part of this.  I was scared when the comic loaded and I was faced with the prospect of Achewood Going Political, but I am very much of the opinion that it worked out for the best.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 06, 2004, 01:58:38 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
All actual political threads will be moved. Strip time, folks.

I think I'm just in love with Beef's Cheney impression. It's so... so.... so hunchbacked and surly that it works perfectly.


I thought Cheney was played by Pat, which made sense to me because Pat's a cranky sumbitch himself.  He's perfect for the part.

Furthermore, "Cheney" appears to come down squarely in support of curly-wire telephones rather than against them as suggested by Filas.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: V-Adore on October 06, 2004, 02:00:12 pm
I'm almost certain that's Beef, because Beef and Teodor are usually the ones responsible for Roomba Theater, and besides, do you think Pat would stand for this?

I, too, am gratified by the lack of serious politics, just the politics of curly-wire telephones.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 06, 2004, 02:44:41 pm
Two things I love about this strip:

1. When it's on current affairs, it's very current and hilarious.
2. It's not often on current affairs.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 06, 2004, 02:57:45 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
do you think Pat would stand for this?


I think Pat would be petulant about being cast as someone against lawsuits of dubious merit, which would only enhance the quality of his performance.  It's good casting.

Also: do you think Teodor is wearing proper trousers?  Or is he still rockin' the pantaloons with that suit jacket?
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Bozack on October 06, 2004, 03:49:39 pm
I like how, in the last panel, T is actually reading off of a sheet. Little things, man, little things.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: jough on October 06, 2004, 04:21:25 pm
He's right though - telephone handsets should be connected by curly wire.  This roaming about while on the phone must stop!

Nice funny and partisan strip.  Usually the political strips don't "take sides" as far as the election goes, but this one is obviously pro-Edwards/Kerry.

Interesting.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: jay-ell on October 06, 2004, 04:29:27 pm
Quote from: "jough"

Nice funny and partisan strip.  Usually the political strips don't "take sides" as far as the election goes, but this one is obviously pro-Edwards/Kerry..


I don't get that bias at all.  Seems to me it's taking a shot at Edwards for mudslinging, and also at Cheney for quietly taking it in the #####, as it were.  

I initially thought the role of Cheney was being played by Paul F. Weiss, but on a second glance, it does look more like Beef.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: jough on October 06, 2004, 04:35:46 pm
Well, the mudslinging is exaggerated, but Cheney did vote against those things in the first panel (although of course with all of the pork and combined bills it's hard to pick one issue and say anyone voted "against" it).
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: AugustWest on October 06, 2004, 04:54:40 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
at Cheney for quietly taking it in the ******, as it were.  


Wait, so you're saying that Cheney is a Ro BO T?
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 06, 2004, 05:04:49 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Usually the political strips don't "take sides" as far as the election goes...


Is this a joke?  What strips have you been reading?  I look at all the Yahoo Editorial Cartoons (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=index2&cid=1078) every day, and I'd say about 1/2 to 3/4 of them are consistently partisan.  As for cartoons that are political but not 'editorial', that would be...  Boondocks.  

Ooh!  Also on the subject of partisan political strips.  Check out this awesome trove of Dr. Seuss Political Cartoons (http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dspolitic/).  That dude was pro war early and often.  Awesome.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Va on October 06, 2004, 05:20:48 pm
I think jough was specifically referring to Achewood.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: jough on October 06, 2004, 05:59:16 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Quote from: "jough"
Usually the political strips don't "take sides" as far as the election goes...


Is this a joke?  What strips have you been reading?


I've read them all, but I don't have the Strip-Memory that CJ has, so maybe he can CJ a partisan strip for us to back up your point.  I really don't think half of Achewood's strips are partisan, though.

I mean, the Beef on the Moon storyline - what party did that support?
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: jough on October 06, 2004, 05:59:39 pm
Quote from: "Va"
I think jough was specifically referring to Achewood.


Well DUH.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Gimpson on October 06, 2004, 06:06:33 pm
Quote from: "superock101"
Furthermore, "Cheney" appears to come down squarely in support of curly-wire telephones rather than against them as suggested by Filas.


Did this strip change?  When I first read the strip this morning I thought that Cheney was against curly-wires, but on rereading I see that you are correct in saying that he supports them.  Was I just sleepy this morning, or did Cheney flip-flop?
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 06, 2004, 06:56:21 pm
On it's face, it seems pro-Edwards but I think overall the whole concept of a vice-presidential debate is really the issue here. I mean, it's always been a kind of joke: What does the Vice-President actually do? I thought he strip sort of gets to that point.  Although it does lean somewhat left I think the strip cuts both ways. It's good.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 06, 2004, 07:12:16 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What does the Vice-President actually do? I thought he strip sort of gets to that point.


Did you see the presidential and vice presidential debates? On the face of it it would appear that the vice president runs the country. Oy. That's kind of tired at this point, but it certainly seems to have some merit.

Anyway...I think I was thinking similar things to Onstad when I watched this last night. Granted, Cheney's votes COULD be attributed to a strict limited-government ideology, but the list Edwards put together just made him look evil. Which made me laugh. I thought it was going to turn out that he voted against children having puppies, too.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 06, 2004, 07:20:09 pm
1) It was a general question

2) I was being non-partisan in the spirit of the request made above

Also remember that each of the things on the list would not be legislative items by themselves but parts of much bigger legislation. What you vote on is the major part of the legislation; amendments and riders are always added on. All of those could have been attached to one omnibus spending bill that contained any number of unsupportable entitlements or unfunded mandates. To judge a legislator with a list like that in a vacuum would be ignorant and to offer partial information in the manner that both sides did last night makes these 'debates' nothing more than rhetorical disservice.

The moderator was AWESOME though. And I don't often say that about NPR / PBS people.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: AugustWest on October 06, 2004, 07:28:36 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
The moderator was AWESOME though. And I don't often say that about NPR / PBS people.


Interesting.  I've heard both extremes -- that she was great and that she totally sucked.  I got to listen to about 1/3 of the debate on the radio.  We spent most of last night in the emergency room -- younger daughter either broke or badly sprained her ankle because of (not punishment) a rollerblading accident.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 06, 2004, 08:34:18 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Well DUH.


I had accidentally switched to stupid and left myself running all night.

AW - Sorry about your daughter.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: filas on October 06, 2004, 08:44:43 pm
okay upon further inspection under the tutelage of superock 101's keen eyes...Cheney is indeed FOR curly wires.  thanks for clarifying that.  i woke up real early and was up late posting nonsense.  my blog needs serious clarifying.  

dang those lazy candidates for sitting and ruining any chance at roomba theater.  

i wonder if onstad tried to incorporate the cheney hand rub but maybe it didn't work.  

p.s. partisanship aside; lawyers rule!  wooo!
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: CortJstr on October 07, 2004, 12:29:15 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Yeah, but are they on Roombas?

My thoughts exactly.

As for any kind of partisan strip, this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03092004) is what I have off the top of my head. Oh, and the next day.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Mantonio on October 07, 2004, 03:36:35 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
I thought it was going to turn out that he voted against children having puppies, too.


I, for one, would be relieved to here Cheney come out against this ghastly practice, this crime against biology.  Mad scientists should NOT be allowed to engineer innocent children just so they can spawn canines, or indeed any other beast that walks, fly's, slithers or swims.  Is this something the Bush and Kerry campain condone?

I'm Mantonio and I approved of this post.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Mantonio on October 07, 2004, 03:40:27 am
I'd like to see a Roomba reenactment of the 1992 VP debate.  They'd need a third player to make it work, though.  Todd as Admiral Stockdale.

C-c-c-c-could you r-r-repeat the question? I t-t-turned off my h-h-h-hearing aid!
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: arkabee on October 07, 2004, 02:05:27 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"
I'd like to see a Roomba reenactment of the 1992 VP debate.  They'd need a third player to make it work, though.  Todd as Admiral Stockdale.

C-c-c-c-could you r-r-repeat the question? I t-t-turned off my h-h-h-hearing aid!


1- that's awesome.

2- a debate between Todd and Theodore on who should have been Phillippe's Veep running mate would have been amazing.
Title: Vice Presidential Debate - 10/06/04
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 07, 2004, 09:33:41 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

Ooh!  Also on the subject of partisan political strips.  Check out this awesome trove of Dr. Seuss Political Cartoons (http://orpheus.ucsd.edu/speccoll/dspolitic/).  That dude was pro war early and often.  Awesome.


Well come on, anyone who butters their bread butter side down deserves death.