The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Turbo Ninja on October 08, 2004, 10:45:09 am

Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 08, 2004, 10:45:09 am
I'm happy to see Emeril and Spongebath again but where did Ol' Eyebrows learn to speak English?  Is he part Amish or something?
Title: Re: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 08, 2004, 11:47:34 am
Quote from: "superock101"
I'm happy to see Emeril and Spongebath again but where did Ol' Eyebrows learn to speak English?  Is he part Amish or something?


I am going to devote my entire life to talking more like Emeril.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: AugustWest on October 08, 2004, 12:59:36 pm
I like it when Chris gets a new bottle of black ink.  Plus, everybody knows my position on eyebrows.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: CortJstr on October 08, 2004, 01:09:11 pm
I'm trying to figure out what that one poster is.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: Silverberg on October 08, 2004, 03:21:52 pm
I don't know how I feel about this strip. If Beef and Molly break up I will be all sorts of saddened.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: MSC on October 08, 2004, 03:57:34 pm
I am not sure whether I like these guys.  

I think that they are good in small doses, which is how Onstad has been using them.  In that measure, they effectively convey a feeling of relaxed and easy camaraderie, but at the same time you feel that you don't really understand why you bother with these guys.  Maybe Beef feels the same way.

Also, Spongebath's arm on the bar is a perfect gesture.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: V-Adore on October 08, 2004, 04:41:34 pm
If this leads to any kind of breakup, I'll be pissed, but Emeril does have a point -- Beef seems reluctant to the point of stagnation, and that means he probably at least has some thinking to do.

I, too, like Emeril and Spongebath in small doses. They're nice as a background element to the strip.

Also: shading. Shading shading shading. I internet-heart strips with shading, oh yes.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: Golfhaus on October 09, 2004, 02:23:24 am
I, too, am a big fan of the dialect differences in some of the supporting cast of Achewood - Emeril and Trouble Man in particular, but also the little things like Roast Beef's "such as." One of these days, I'm just going to bust out in Emerilese at work, at which point I'll probably be sent home early to get some sleep.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: St_Zartan on October 11, 2004, 08:46:43 pm
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
I, too, am a big fan of the dialect differences in some of the supporting cast of Achewood ... also the little things like Roast Beef's "such as."


Surely, you are citing this as a Dialect Difference as opposed to something you actually like, because Roast Beef's "such as" is perhaps the single most infuriating verbal tic ever intentionally cooked up.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: Golfhaus on October 12, 2004, 04:34:54 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"
also the little things like Roast Beef's "such as."


Surely, you are citing this as a Dialect Difference as opposed to something you actually like, because Roast Beef's "such as" is perhaps the single most infuriating verbal tic ever intentionally cooked up.


Sorry... I actually find "such as" incredibly creative for its subtlety. If one of the primary characters talked like Emeril and Trouble Man, I'd probably get sick of it. But Roast Beef's "such as" does something for me. I've actually tried to start using it in real life myself, just to see if anyone catches it.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: jough on October 12, 2004, 04:43:56 pm
Yeah, I use such as rather than like all the time and I always get weird looks.

Especially when "I really such as the new Bowie album."
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: Golfhaus on October 12, 2004, 04:53:18 pm
Could you imagine a Valley Girl getting a hold of it?

"Ohmygawd, such as, I was TOTALLY, such as, looking at this hot boy, and such as, he looked at me! Such as, ohmygawd!"
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 12, 2004, 08:18:49 pm
Chris is turning the world into Southern California one strip at a time.
Title: ...our days they are tranquil - 8 Oct 04
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 13, 2004, 12:38:42 pm
He is Pan-Cali.