The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Gimpson on October 08, 2004, 08:04:28 pm
-
I'm on the Kansas and Federal Do Not Call Lists, but I continue to receive calls from various tech industry rags wanting to know if I would like to renew or start subscriptions to their crappy trade journals. I am convinced they are all getting my phone number from the same source, but I can't say what that source might be.
I am currently flustered and somewhat red in the face after spending over fifteen minutes trying to get the call center supervisor to give me the name and address of his company so I can file a Do Not Call List complaint. Unfortunately, from the accent of the person who first spoke to me when I picked up the phone, I assume it was an Indian call center, so I don't know what sort of jurisdiction I have.
(Time Passes)
And damn... Just as I was typing this in, I got another call from a different rag. This really sucks, as I don't have a home phone number so they're actually calling my personal cell phone. I've been getting so many of these lately I'm considering changing my phone number.
Is there anybody I can sue here?
-
You don't need their address, only the phone number they called you from.
https://www.donotcall.gov/Complain/ComplainCheck.aspx
-
Yeah, the first one that called wouldn't give me any information at all about their call center. No name, address, phone number, nothing. The second one did give me all the information I requested. Both had blocked caller ID, so for the first one, I ended up having to look up all the information for the magazine they were soliciting for and filing the complaint against them.
Take THAT telemarketers. I'll sick Phill Kline, Kansas's whack-job Attorney General on your ass.
-
Wow. You live in Kansas?
Amusingly, we have been getting more of these lately also. I am not sure why all of a sudden this is happening; I wonder if the 'no call list' also works on call centers from outside the US. You did mention an accent of some kind. I assume it would be harder to sanction a company outside the US but they must be associated with US companies/products, right?
MCI has been calling a lot lately. Living in HI means getting voicemails from all these people since it's midnight EST when I get home from work. I don't have any relationship with MCI.