The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on October 11, 2004, 08:09:03 pm

Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: jough on October 11, 2004, 08:09:03 pm
Is Ray being extra generous or does he just have old newspapers laying around the house?

I mean, why not pack the box with $100 bills?
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: V-Adore on October 11, 2004, 08:14:32 pm
Somehow I can buy Ray just having this lying around. Then again, knowing Ray -- even if he deliberately planned this, he'll play dumb about it and claim it wasn't intentional.

Also, did the alt text get changed? I sense at one point it was the title of the thread, but now it's just about packing material.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: jough on October 11, 2004, 08:19:33 pm
No, the alt text was to my knowledge always about packing material, but it didn't make for a very good thread title.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: ndpatel on October 11, 2004, 08:23:23 pm
the best thing about this is that the salsa got shipped to the sort facility in memphis and then back to teodor.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: V-Adore on October 11, 2004, 08:25:23 pm
Ahhhhh. Well, you're very right -- I can't honestly think of a better title for this thread, given that this is more a "funny concept" comic and less a "funny dialogue" comic.

(You see, it's less a humor position than a humor concept...)
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: AugustWest on October 11, 2004, 08:33:07 pm
That wacky Ray.  He's such a nut.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: Pedro Picasso on October 11, 2004, 09:53:57 pm
You know he got really interested in history one day and bought a bunch of artifacts off eBay.  Then when they came in the mail, he couldn't remember what they were or why he bought them.  Then he got distracted by the fact that he had just eaten like half a piece of paper completely on accident.

If a cat ever sends me anything wrapped in newspaper, I'm checking it for poop first.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: CortJstr on October 12, 2004, 03:28:26 am
I hate cilantro more than any other food item. That is all.

[Late update: Pedro is awesome]
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 13, 2004, 06:56:34 pm
ANY cilantro is too much.  I will not consume certain brands of salsa because of it.  Nasty.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: arkabee on October 13, 2004, 07:37:42 pm
i don't even really know what cilantro is.

*sigh*
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: jough on October 13, 2004, 08:04:56 pm
It is also known as corriander, or chinese parsley.

It is tasty and will not hurt you!
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: AugustWest on October 13, 2004, 08:12:55 pm
Quote from: "jough"
It is also known as corriander, or chinese parsley.

It is tasty and will not hurt you!


Actually, coriander and cilantro are not the same.  They do come from the same plant, which is quite easy to grow.  Coriander is a spice and therefore a seed.  Cilantro, an herb, is the young leaves of the plant.

I love cilantro, but it's an acquired taste.  It's kind of soapy tasting, but in a good way.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: Gimpson on October 13, 2004, 08:20:09 pm
Can you make salsa without cilantro?  I thought that was the whole point.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: jay-ell on October 14, 2004, 03:02:03 am
I don't know if salsa can be made without cilantro, but there is an awesome dish at PF Chang's (it's a chain but I don't know how widespread) made with pan-seared beef and just tons of cilantro.  It is super-tasty and it reminds me of what a dish might be if the Iron Chef Secret Ingredient were cilantro, and the winning chef made the best dish possible.  It showcases the flavour of the herb just perfectly, and as a result I truly believe that there is, in fact, no such thing as too much cilantro.  

Cilantro.  Cilantro.  Mmmm, cilantro.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 14, 2004, 01:34:36 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Cilantro.  Cilantro.  Mmmm, cilantro.


That story made me throw up in my mouth a little.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: Bozack on October 14, 2004, 03:41:09 pm
Quote from: "superock101"
Quote from: "jldunston"
Cilantro.  Cilantro.  Mmmm, cilantro.


That story made me throw up in my mouth a little.


Vomit. Vomit. Mmmm, vomit.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: linnea on October 16, 2004, 05:10:53 am
Man, is there no end to Ray's shocking spendthriftness?

To touch on the other point of discussion:  Cilantro is rad. It gets the official Somebody nice Seal of Approval for being the Most Delicious Seasoning.  I buy fresh cilantro and add it to salsa, because they never add enough, in my opinion.  If Ray made a really delicious chipotle salsa with the right amount of cilantro... daaaaaamn.

In my opinion, those two ingredients (chipotle peppers and cilantro) are the cornerstone of a goddamned delicious salsa.  The addition of an exotic or unexpected fruit, such as pineapple or peaches, would culminate in salsa perfection.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: wombat on October 16, 2004, 02:26:27 pm
There is a hypothesis floating around that there is a genetic difference that makes cilantro taste like soap to some people and not others.  But some lazy Googling doesn't answer the question of whether there is any basis to this other than speculation.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: slink on October 16, 2004, 03:02:34 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
But some lazy Googling doesn't answer the question of whether there is any basis to this other than speculation.


I think my mother is convinced it tastes of soap. I love it, as does my brother who uses it fairly frequently.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: AugustWest on October 16, 2004, 11:16:52 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "wombat"
But some lazy Googling doesn't answer the question of whether there is any basis to this other than speculation.


I think my mother is convinced it tastes of soap. I love it, as does my brother who uses it fairly frequently.


I think it tastes like soap AND I love it.  I'm not sure what to think about that.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 17, 2004, 12:46:44 am
There is also speculation as to genetic differences in people who experience the phenomenon of "asparagus whiz" and those who don't.  Are the latter unable to produce smelly pee after eating asparagus, or are they just unable to smell it?

Perhaps this phenomenon and the cilantro-soap thing are related.  There's a doctoral dissertation lurking in there somewhere.
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: AugustWest on October 17, 2004, 03:57:51 am
You know what's fascinating about the asparagus pee thing?  You get it amazingly quickly after eating the asparagus.  Within like 15 minutes. Scientists cannot explain how this happens -- you should not be able to process it nearly that fast.  It is a mystery.  But the smell does not bother me.

MMMM Asparagus.  It is time for me to go cut down my aspargus patch.  I let it go to seed, which is what you are supposed to do.  Come April I will once again have the freshest asparagus in town!
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 17, 2004, 03:58:54 am
1) I love Cilantro and it doesn't taste like soap to me.

2) Ask Cecil did an article about the Asparagus Whiz thing but I'm too lazy to look for it now. Anyone?
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: V-Adore on October 17, 2004, 04:09:05 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"

MMMM Asparagus.  It is time for me to go cut down my aspargus patch.  I let it go to seed, which is what you are supposed to do.  Come April I will once again have the freshest asparagus in town!

This is the best bragging ever. I mean, yes. "Freshest asparagus in town!" It sounds so cheerful.

(Note for those of you curious about modly pedantry: this is not split because there wasn't that much else to talk about with this strip. I mean, seriously.)
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: CortJstr on October 17, 2004, 02:27:26 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
1) I love Cilantro and it doesn't taste like soap to me.

2) Ask Cecil did an article about the Asparagus Whiz thing but I'm too lazy to look for it now. Anyone?

1) The first time I ate cilantro I reflexively spit it out before I could even register the taste. Like my body thought it was poison or something.

2) http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a2_383.html
Title: No such thing as "too much cilantro" - 11 Oct 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 18, 2004, 04:43:45 am
I was going to specifically ask CJ, then I thought, Why?

Right on!