The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jay-ell on October 12, 2004, 09:53:40 pm

Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: jay-ell on October 12, 2004, 09:53:40 pm
So I just got invited to a wedding on October 31.  The reception is a costume party.  

Any ideas for a costume?  At five months pregnant, I'd like to use the belly in some respect, but seeing as how it's not massive and basketball-esque yet, I think it's a bit early to paint it like a pumpkin (http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/maternityclothes/l/aa102303c.htm).  

I thought I'd throw this out to you guys since you're some of the more creative people I happen to know.  I'll try and post a belly picture later so you can see what we have to work with.  

Thanks in advance.  I know you guys will come through.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 12, 2004, 10:21:25 pm
AAAAARTHUR
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AugustWest on October 13, 2004, 01:10:16 am
Demi Moore?
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: wombat on October 13, 2004, 01:23:04 am
I haven't thought of any ideas yet. But I really want to be friends with people who'd have this kind of wedding reception.  I am very jealous.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 13, 2004, 02:01:00 pm
Catholic schoolgirl.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Va on October 13, 2004, 04:34:07 pm
Quote from: "superock101"
Catholic schoolgirl.


Hell yes! Especially with a preggers belly.  Also, what wombat said.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: jay-ell on October 13, 2004, 04:49:31 pm
I'm not going to tell you how many times the thought of being a Nun has crossed my mind.  

But for a wedding, that seems terribly inappropriate.  

As does the pregnant bride.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: sailor on October 14, 2004, 04:13:12 am
Guys, guys, the whole pregnant nun/schoolgirl thing is hella played out. Now, jl, if you dressed as a preist, and had like some little boy legs sticking out beneth yr frock or whatever they call it, now that's a little more timely., but not by much. and prolly NSFWedding.

um, how about an arnie mask? what was that movie called?

or just a thing as simple a a NARAL t-shirt or a pro-choice type sign. That would cause a some of the not so bright some definite double-take action.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 14, 2004, 01:42:57 pm
You could carry around a flask full of "booze" and go on and on about how pregnancy has driven you to drink more than ever.

Then, when people get hoppin' mad, you reveal that you're simply playing a character (to draw attention to the problem of drinking during pregnancy) and that your flask is actually full of nourishing beef broth.

Or get a giant top hat to cover your head/arms, paint your belly to look like a whistling face and dance around.  That stuff always got a laff on America's Funniest People, so it's probably still funny today.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 17, 2004, 04:29:33 am
Get you a space marine uniform and have the alien head bursting out of your mid-section.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: linnea on October 18, 2004, 03:14:07 am
I have always thought that the maternity BDUs were pretty rad.  If I were you, I would go as the badass tank commander who is nearly-ready-for-maternity-leave.  Woodland or desert camo BDUs (battle dress uniform), sleeves rolled up, bitter, angry, and decorated.  

I used to joke with my ex that he was going to have to carry the babies SUCH AS A MALE SEAhoss DOES, since I was not down with the whole pregnancy thing.  I explained that I'd get some crazy scientist to come up with "the pouch" that would enable JT to carry the fetus to term.  He could get GI maternity BDUs and run around in those. (in case you are not up to speed, my ex-fiance was in the Army and did a tour in Iraq).
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 18, 2004, 05:28:58 am
make a maternity outfit with a 'viewing bubble' (tm)'; float a baby doll in some thick clear liquid and walk around with that over your belly. Extra points if you use an African American baby doll or a chucky doll giving everyone the finger. or some kind of reptilain scaly thing would be cool too.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Acanthopagrus on October 18, 2004, 07:26:00 am
Perhaps dressing so that your tummy looks like a beer belly?

Lederhosen and a mustache? - German

perhaps a singlet, shorts, flip flops, terrytoweling hat? - Ozzie
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Va on October 18, 2004, 02:24:22 pm
I saw a cute picture of a pregnant lady who had painted a baby in scuba gear peering through a "porthole" on her belly.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: CortJstr on October 18, 2004, 04:01:26 pm
Do you watch Farscape? You could go as Commandant Grayza.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: CortJstr on October 18, 2004, 09:55:18 pm
Quote from: "I"
Do you watch Farscape? You could go as Commandant Grayza.

I finally found a picture (http://www.farscapeworld.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=MPK01&page=20).

3 over, 3 down

And here (http://www.farscapeworld.com/gallery/gallery.php?id=10402) she is before. Top row, far right.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: jay-ell on October 22, 2004, 01:22:22 pm
Well, in spite of the neat suggestions, a cool idea came to me this morning in a dream, and I think I'm going to use it if I can figure out exactly how to make it work.  And if we end up going to the wedding.  (We might not go, it's complicated.)  I think Pedro's going to go as a married man, and me & Pierce are going to go as the old ball & chain.  Guess which one's the ball?  

Construction suggestions welcome.  I'm thinking dressing in all black with silver chains from his ankle to my belly (with enough slack to sling over my shoulders) and some kind of silver belly-cover will do the trick.  And of course I'll pretend to "carry" the ball around.  This may be the first year I do all my Halloween preparation at Lowe's.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Va on October 22, 2004, 03:10:31 pm
Cute, but sounds like a recipe for pulling the pregnant lady off her feet accidentally.  Maybe if the chain went to Pedro's wrist or neck instead?
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2004, 08:48:55 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Well, in spite of the neat suggestions, a cool idea came to me this morning in a dream, and I think I'm going to use it if I can figure out exactly how to make it work.  And if we end up going to the wedding.  (We might not go, it's complicated.)  I think Pedro's going to go as a married man, and me & Pierce are going to go as the old ball & chain.  Guess which one's the ball?  

Construction suggestions welcome.  I'm thinking dressing in all black with silver chains from his ankle to my belly (with enough slack to sling over my shoulders) and some kind of silver belly-cover will do the trick.  And of course I'll pretend to "carry" the ball around.  This may be the first year I do all my Halloween preparation at Lowe's.

How's construction going? When do we get pictuers?

I assume everybody will post pics of their costumes, though. Right? RIGHT?
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: V-Adore on October 29, 2004, 09:39:24 pm
My costume will be half-assed, spur-of-the-moment, and inside-jokey -- since I already have a ram-horn hat, I will spend Halloween as the tiny goat, (http://www.trouserarousal.nu/magfields/newdespair.html) provided I can find fake fur stuff tomorrow.

I may post pictures anyway.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 29, 2004, 09:46:49 pm
cut one horn off, go as a Shofar and see if anyone blows you.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2004, 09:55:30 pm
I totally half-assed mine as well. I tried to see what I could come up with between the time I woke up and went to work so I decided to go for the Chainsaw Vigilante. Picture to come.
Title: Re: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 30, 2004, 03:35:51 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
So I just got invited to a wedding on October 31.  The reception is a costume party.  

Any ideas for a costume?  At five months pregnant, I'd like to use the belly in some respect, but seeing as how it's not massive and basketball-esque yet, I think it's a bit early to paint it like a pumpkin (http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/maternityclothes/l/aa102303c.htm).  

I thought I'd throw this out to you guys since you're some of the more creative people I happen to know.  I'll try and post a belly picture later so you can see what we have to work with.  

Thanks in advance.  I know you guys will come through.


Take some carpet tubes, flatten one end, and paint them green, and put them on your hands. Drape green velvet over the rest of you. Make some antennae out of  coat hangers and styrofoam balls. Dangle some legs   off the side. Go as a praying mantis. You've just eaten Pedro.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: andalucia on October 30, 2004, 04:06:00 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My costume will be half-assed, spur-of-the-moment, and inside-jokey -- since I already have a ram-horn hat, I will spend Halloween as the tiny goat, (http://www.trouserarousal.nu/magfields/newdespair.html) provided I can find fake fur stuff tomorrow.

I may post pictures anyway.


Awesome.
I don't think I have the energy to come up with a costume: I kicked off my Hallowe'en weekend by synching up Wizard of Oz with Dark Side of the Moon (as that needed to happen at some point during The College Years) with a friend.  It wasn't working that well so we went and got forties of strong beer.  It ended badly for me.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Nabubrush on October 30, 2004, 04:41:07 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My costume will be half-assed, spur-of-the-moment, and inside-jokey -- since I already have a ram-horn hat, I will spend Halloween as the tiny goat, (http://www.trouserarousal.nu/magfields/newdespair.html) provided I can find fake fur stuff tomorrow.

I may post pictures anyway.

I was going to ask you to hook me up, but I found this. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4046779087&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Bozack on October 30, 2004, 08:26:26 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
My costume will be half-assed, spur-of-the-moment, and inside-jokey -- since I already have a ram-horn hat, I will spend Halloween as the tiny goat, (http://www.trouserarousal.nu/magfields/newdespair.html) provided I can find fake fur stuff tomorrow.

I may post pictures anyway.


I.....I love you?

I was first going to go as Catman (I had a catwoman fetish mask), then as a Zombie Punk (I have a mohawk, a Germs t-shirt, and a bite-mark scar on my arm). But then, I was buying a bathrobe yesterday when my sister called me to tell me I should go as "The Dude," from the Big Lebowski. I took it as a sign from above.

Everyone needs to post pics.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: slink on October 30, 2004, 09:27:53 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"

Everyone needs to post pics.


I am being an old curmudgeon this year, as last, and before that...
I may have to get round to getting a picture of my coat though, as if I had gotten it in red, I would probably go as Vash. It just doesn't really count since I wear it anyway...

- Tomorrow. One of them kind of came out, but you can't make out the coat and I just look like I'm auditioning for the Matrix (and not even the first one)!
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: V-Adore on November 01, 2004, 03:03:22 am
Well, someone needs to start this off...

A moderately poor-quality picture of my Trick-or-Treating group. (http://photobucket.com/albums/v177/neurosophy/Halloween.jpg) I'm the one in the ram-horn helmet and all the fake fur. (This costume was ridiculously spur-of-the-moment and pretty bad, but hey!) The general lack of pose and photo-apathy was the result of my friend's digital camera, which refused to take a picture for quite a while; when it did, we were all glancing away/had our eyes closed/had given up our poses, so the picture was a smidge crap.

Sadly, I did not manage to get a "SUICIDE IS NOT AN OPTION FOR ME" sign finished before this mad ruckus.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Choop on November 01, 2004, 04:13:36 am
Did someone say, just before taking that photo, "Okay, when I get to three, close your eyes!"

A handsome group of costumes, however, will always garner more candy.

I live in the ghetto, where no one believes they need to dress up, say "trick or treat" to get some candy, or say "thanks" when they've gotten it. Verrrrrry disheartening. It really makes it feel a lot more like the protection money it actually is.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: andalucia on November 01, 2004, 01:05:53 pm
Don't have a photo, but I ended up dressing up in my own clothes in such a way that would make it sort of look as though I was wearing a costume; hence I was "trashy-in-a-vaguely-eighties-kind-of-way", even though I rather dislike the whole female phenomenon of "Gee, I don't really have a costume... guess I'll just wear less clothes than usual".  Unfortunately it was cold and rainy.  
My friend was likewise at a loss for a costume until he noticed that he was tall, thin, and wearing a red and white striped shirt and plastic-framed glasses, at which point he was Waldo.  Oddly, we met another Waldo on the metro and a third on the way to the same party as us.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: The_Feral_Love_Mammal on November 05, 2004, 10:47:33 pm
I forgot that it was Halloween, and thus didn't have a costume. Later, at a block party there was a costume contest. I entered myself as an apathetic teenager (I'm fifteen), and won. Two free movie tickets for me and my girlfriend. Very sweet.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 05, 2004, 11:03:09 pm
Ditto Choops comment. The thing I hated most in Chicago was the roving groups of uncostumed older teenagers running the candy shakedown racket. We should be allowed to rocksalt the little bastards.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: V-Adore on November 06, 2004, 01:24:52 am
Quote from: "The_Feral_Love_Mammal"
I forgot that it was Halloween, and thus didn't have a costume. Later, at a block party there was a costume contest. I entered myself as an apathetic teenager (I'm fifteen), and won. Two free movie tickets for me and my girlfriend. Very sweet.

This is the most excellent thing.

As for the "costumed/uncostumed" thing -- I understand that it's beneficial for the older segments of the Trick-or-Treating population to actually wear costumes, but there's also an immense sense of shame connected. Not only are you extorting candy from people (sometimes people much younger than you, if it's a house where a little kid answers), you're doing it in such a way that, were it not for some vague assurance of holiday asylum, you'd get stared at and possibly targeted with rocks. That said, it's still fun.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 06, 2004, 01:31:24 am
People over 15 should not trick or treat. If you didn't get invited to a cool party, you're a loser and I'm not giving you any of the candy I bought for the cute little kids. And if you try any pranks, I'll shoot you in the face.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: arkabee on November 06, 2004, 01:35:37 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
People over 15 should not trick or treat. If you didn't get invited to a cool party, you're a loser and I'm not giving you any of the candy I bought for the cute little kids. And if you try any pranks, I'll shoot you in the face.


*swoon*  marry me!

seriously, thank you for making me snort in mirthful emotion.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: V-Adore on November 06, 2004, 01:45:06 am
I entirely accept your thesis, AD, except for the part involving cool parties. To be invited to a cool party would involve one actually existing around here, which is basically never the case; parties around here are all either "sit around and drink desperately in an attempt to forget you have a paper due" or "dance to hideous music and pretend you don't have a paper due." Trick-or-treating is goddamned respectable.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 06, 2004, 01:47:29 am
Why don't you just climb up that mountain and sing some songs? That seems like the event of the year out there.

Better yet, transfer to Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. They have the God-damndest halloween there. Usually a lot of arrests.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: arkabee on November 06, 2004, 02:08:27 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Better yet, transfer to Ohio University in Athens, Ohio. They have the God-damndest halloween there. Usually a lot of arrests.


is that where the haunted old scary psychiatric hospital is?  it was spooky.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 06, 2004, 02:20:26 am
Yep (http://www.rootsweb.com/~asylums/southeast_oh/)
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: V-Adore on November 06, 2004, 02:29:55 am
I would go up the mountain, but
a) Inertia, and
b) if this year's a capella groups were any indication, the only thing you're allowed to sing on the mountain anymore are hideous breakup songs. Blah.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 06, 2004, 02:36:49 am
What about "I am a Man of Constant Sorrow"?
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: V-Adore on November 06, 2004, 03:00:39 am
No, no, see, "I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow" would be moderately cool. I'm talking about, like, "It Must Have Been Love (But It's Over Now)," which kind of sucks the air right out of a fun day in the outdoors.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2004, 04:30:17 pm
Maybe you could sing "Broken Wings."
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2004, 04:34:09 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Yep (http://www.rootsweb.com/~asylums/southeast_oh/)

Wait a minute. Fountain, home to aligators in the 1950s (http://www.rootsweb.com/~asylums/southeast_oh/rstatue.gif)? They can't just write that and not have an explanation.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 06, 2004, 07:31:25 pm
I guess they want you to buy the book.

I would think that the mingling of Alligators and Mental Patients would have results not terribly different from Tequila and Machetes.
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: wombat on November 06, 2004, 08:09:17 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm talking about, like, "It Must Have Been Love (But It's Over Now)," which kind of sucks the air right out of a fun day in the outdoors.


Wait a minute, this is the kind of thing that college a cappella groups sing?  I had an entirely different, and obviously naive and incorrect, concept of this cultural phenomenon.

OK, who's going to buy the book and tell us about the alligators?
Title: Halloween costume ideas...
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2004, 08:20:11 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I'm talking about, like, "It Must Have Been Love (But It's Over Now)," which kind of sucks the air right out of a fun day in the outdoors.


Wait a minute, this is the kind of thing that college a cappella groups sing?  I had an entirely different, and obviously naive and incorrect, concept of this cultural phenomenon.

OK, who's going to buy the book and tell us about the alligators?

I gots to know; I gots to know.