The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: linnea on October 15, 2004, 02:51:08 am

Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: linnea on October 15, 2004, 02:51:08 am
Whoa, nearly 2 months later and I finally have internet access again.

I'm in the Aleutians and doing just fine. I have missed you all dearly and I hope to be around more often.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: andalucia on October 15, 2004, 03:22:42 am
Blast, I contributed to a thread derail by saying hi to you elsewhere, but hello!
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: jough on October 15, 2004, 03:46:17 am
Hey Linnea#####!  Glad to see you back on the boards.

You'd better regale the kids with stories from Alaska or they will revolt.  The whole membership has been revolting lately.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: V-Adore on October 15, 2004, 03:49:28 am
Yes, without you we're utterly revolting.

Tell us of Elbonia!
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: AugustWest on October 15, 2004, 03:54:49 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Blast, I contributed to a thread derail by saying hi to you elsewhere, but hello!


Yeah, me too.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: wombat on October 15, 2004, 02:28:21 pm
Linnea, I made the mistake of telling my crazy snow-loving spouse your story and showing him your photographs, and he has been asking every other day whether we have heard from you yet.  Please give me some news to tell him before I strangle him for asking again.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: CortJstr on October 15, 2004, 03:31:52 pm
How's the job going? Have you been able to grocery shop and whatnot with ease?
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: linnea on October 16, 2004, 02:02:02 am
Oh wow! You guys rule. Yes, Alaska is fuck*ng great. I love it, and I have been having a wonderful time here.  I have just been astounded at how kind and generous and friendly everyone is here in town.

I have a blog over at http://Somebody nice.typepad.com, and there are some pictures from my pa's recent visit at http://Somebody nice.typepad.com/photos/alaska_visit.

There are 2 grocery stores here, and they even sell my favorite shampoo. I just got another kitty whom I have named Sofia. She is damned adorable. She is in the bathrom until Milan and Lennybruce can get acclimated.

I am getting way involved in the community. I am lobbying for positions on a few boards, such as the local public broadcasting station's board.  I go to Open Mic Night at the Grand Aleutian every Thursday and get to listen to great local talent as people play all kinds of music.  Last week I hiked a small portion of Elbonia Island with a friend of mine and shared a bottle of Pinot Noir at the summit.  I was whining that "the odds are good, but the goods are odd" and that was without merit. There are lots of really great people here.

I would write more, but I have to go to a planning commission meeting tonight. They're not usually on a Friday, but this one had to get rescheduled. Afterwards, I'm going to a friend's going-away party. One of the locals here is infamous for his adventures, such as climbing Everest, and the soiree is going to be held at his house. It should be a good time.

Anyway, I will keep the Internet posted on my kitty saga and my Alaskan adventure. Oh, I almost forgot. Lest you think that it's all roses and all-you-can-eat King Crab, a six-pack of Guinness costs $18.00. Petrol is three bucks a gallon.  A gallon of milk is around six dollars.  My grocery bills are fuckin' ridiculous.  But I love it here. I think that this was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: Bozack on October 16, 2004, 05:52:27 am
Quote from: "linnea"
But I love it here. I think that this was one of the best decisions I have ever made.


:)

Really glad to hear! Also, glad that I didn't encourage you to do something that would ruin your life. You'd hate me FOREVER.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: slink on October 16, 2004, 12:36:31 pm
Awesome.
Glad to see it's cool there and that you are enjoying it/glad you set off.
I am certainly still incredibly envious. Especially having spent the last 3 days wanting to get the hell out of here!

Anyway, all sounds really awesome!
Continuations of best of luck with it all. Especially what with it already being pretty chilly here.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: V-Adore on October 16, 2004, 04:44:14 pm
I'm really glad to hear that things are going well for you. I feel in about the same boat Bozack was -- that, if I advocated you doing this and then it was horrible, I'd feel pretty wretched. (So, bad for everyone involved.)

The grocery prices sound a little onerous, but I assume your salary takes into account the ludicrously high cost of living? If so, it sounds all good to me.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 17, 2004, 12:50:32 am
Good stuff.  Would it be cheaper to have groceries fed-exed from home?
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: linnea on November 18, 2004, 08:59:09 pm
I have missed you guys terribly.  I have no internet access at my house anymore, so my internet access has been sporadic at best.

I got snowshoes for my birthday, which is on the 27th.  I am volunteering with the EMS division of the fire department for their search and rescue team, and I will be a certified EMT in March.  I am having a great time and I have some photos posted on my blog.  I have to get offline now, but I miss you guys and I wish that you were here in my windy, snowy, archipelagic paradise that is the Aleutian Islands!
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: CortJstr on November 18, 2004, 11:15:44 pm
No internet? Oh the humanity!

My friend is actuall headed up to Alaska today for more of his arrrrrrrrrrrrmy training </Bill Murray>
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: slink on November 18, 2004, 11:47:04 pm
Happy birthday, probably belatedly when you next get online!

Has to be said, I'd go insane without internet access. Though living there it might not be so bad I guess, what with, well, just living there!
Still, broadband hits the middle of nowhere on the 7th, so will be well.
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2004, 12:10:14 am
Happy soon-birthday!
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: linnea on November 19, 2004, 02:04:20 am
Wheee!! Thank you for the birthday wishes.  I will turn 26 on the 27th (same day as Jimi Hendrix and Bruce Lee).
Title: a shout-out from Alaska
Post by: Nabubrush on November 19, 2004, 03:42:51 pm
Happy birthday to you, and I'm glad that you are enjoying Alaska. I spent a little time in the Aleutians and I pretty much enjoyed it. I actually liked both SE and SW Alaska - it's just the central and northern parts I don't much care for, as much.