The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Choop on October 19, 2004, 02:30:30 am
-
Do you watch Farscape? You could go as Commandant Grayza.
Or, you know, Rygel. (I'm purposefully not watching the 2nd half of the miniseries because I'm taping it and god the suspense is killing me - I finished my tape of last night's half at like 8:30 if i could just timeshift the damn thing without commercials aaargh)
-
We had people over to watch the 2nd half tonight. This weekend we re-watched the We're So Screwed Trilogy and Bad Timing to refresh ourselves on the story.
And you know I'll buy the DVD when it comes out.
-
I hope the DVD comes out promptly. This is the first time in a long time I've wished for cable.
-
I hope the DVD comes out promptly. This is the first time in a long time I've wished for cable.
I'm guessing you don't have broadband either. Over on farscapeworld they have links to various torrents you could download.
-
I watched the second half today - the only problem I have with it is that now there's so little promise for more.
(will somebody please split this into a farscape thread in a&e? thanks)
-
Least I can do, Choop.
I watched about the last half-hour of this, coming in with no series knowledge, and... well, there were several spectacular moments, but I have to wonder if this was a disappointment for the actual fans. It seemed very cliche at points, and you're right in that there seemed to be only one arc to explore, one that might not actually be very interesting for the fandom. I have no idea, though.
-
I watched the second half today - the only problem I have with it is that now there's so little promise for more.
They said from the beginning that they intended to keep it open for a movie or possibly another mini (hopefull 6 hours). <Minor spoiler> The wormhole arc closed but I think there's still enough material to continue the story on in other ways. </spoiler>
There isn't the fan push but the ratings were promising, especially against baseball. Usually the three highest rated cable shows on a Monday are WWE Raw, WWE Rawzone, and Spongebob and they managed to crush both of those. Although the press releases won't tell you that MNF and the baseball playoffs also helped lower the ratings of those two shows.
Oh, and Va: http://www.farscapeworld.com/news/shownews.php?id=1073
P.S. Delete my rogue post that's still in the other thread
-
I watched about the last half-hour of this, coming in with no series knowledge, and... well, there were several spectacular moments, but I have to wonder if this was a disappointment for the actual fans. It seemed very cliche at points, and you're right in that there seemed to be only one arc to explore, one that might not actually be very interesting for the fandom. I have no idea, though.
There was one tremendously cliche part (well two, technically but they were related).
But I think Farscape's strongest asset is strong characters. As long as that's maintained the story is almost secondary. Hence some of the most loved episodes (John Quixote, Revenging Angel) being all about interaction and not at all about furthering the main story arc.
I personally always loved John's hatred of typical sci-fi technobable (we'll pay you double if you don't explain it to us!) and that Scorpius isn't an overlord, he's just defending his race.
For no reason at all, here's my favorite line:
John: [to Scorpius] Kryptonite, silver bullet, Buffy? What's it gonna take to keep you in the grave?
-
P.S. Delete my rogue post that's still in the other thread
It's done.
-
Thanks ever so much, V.
I can see a new series, something like Farscape: Galaxy of Peace, wherein Rygel and Chiana retire to Hyneria (with Jothee? probably not but interesting precedents exist) while John, Aeryn, L'il D, and Pilot ride Moya around meeting new species and righting the universe's wrongs, bringing up baby in outer-space kind of thing.
What I'm having a hard time seeing, though, is a film. Crichton can't get back to Earth in under 60 "cycles" because the wormhole knowledge has been removed from his head (or has it? maybe he learned it too good to be erased, but then Harvey would still be around), so it's not like he'll be able to present to Jack his grandson and bring Earth into the realm of the Farscape universe...
I don't know. What kind of lines are you thinking of, CJ? Are there any other 'scapers on the board?
-
I'm guessing you don't have broadband either. Over on farscapeworld they have links to various torrents you could download.
Ooh, ooh, ooh! We do in fact have broadband. Hubby is Lord of the Torrents but his PC has been down. Oboyoboyoboy. Okay, I'm not reading any more of this thread due to a pathological fear of spoilers, and my mental disease which makes me consider everything a spoiler.
-
SPOILER:
It kind of sucked.
</spoiler>
-
Yeah... no it didn't.
-
Sorry to say, and I kind of genuinely am when it comes to this, but I agree with Jough.
I have always wanted to like Farscape, but I can't stand it. The effects are really dodgy, the acting wasn't great when it started at least, and for me the writing just isn't up to it.
That and that fuck*ng puppet - every time I saw it when it first started they just resorted to fuck*ng flatulence jokes... I mean, jesus!
But like I say, I have wanted to like it, since it is edgier and darker than Star Trek. I want a great sci fi show you see, and have always hated ST.
Saying all this, I did find the right show - Firefly. Fuck you Fox! Only 'til Easter to wait though.
-
I don't know. What kind of lines are you thinking of, CJ? Are there any other 'scapers on the board?
Well there were some episodes before the whole wormhole thing became an issue.
But one thing I've noticed is that pretty much the whole series involves them hiding. They were always driven to the crazy planents and Tormented Space &c because they were laying low from the Peacekeepers, Crais, Scorpius, or the Scarrans. They aren't really an Enterprise/exploration kind of group but I'm sure they could come up with some reason for them to fly around again.