The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Gimpson on October 20, 2004, 02:43:55 pm

Title: Baseball?
Post by: Gimpson on October 20, 2004, 02:43:55 pm
Any baseball fans up in here?  I'm not a big fan, but I've kind of started paying attention to baseball the last couple of years and the playoffs have been a lot of fun to watch this year.  Having lived in Houston for several years, I'm happy to see the Astros doing well, particularly since they have Beltran, who I got to know over the last couple years while he played for the Royals.  That dude is crazy.  

Am I the only one watching?
Title: Baseball?
Post by: AugustWest on October 20, 2004, 02:54:56 pm
I am a St Louis Cardinals fan.  

Beltran sucks.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Limmo on October 20, 2004, 04:01:37 pm
I only get involved in baseball - and sports in general - when it's an interesting championship drive.  I've been going to Yankees games since I was 7, so technically they're my "team." But I spent five years in Massachusetts, and was there in 1986 when Bill Buckner's moment of shame sparked a riot at my school.  So this year I'm rooting for the Sox to go all the way.  

Not that I expect them to, of course, but even if they lose tonight, they've made history by coming back this strong after a 3-0 losing streak.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 20, 2004, 04:14:53 pm
I've been to 22 major league ballparks.  Yeah, I guess I like baseball some.

I am a Phillies phan, and thus I like that Curt Schilling fellow.  Also, the Yankees are evil and must be destroyed.  I hope the Red Sox win the Series if for no other reason than maybe people would SHUT UP about the stupid curse.

Soon I will be a fan of the Washington Grays/Senators/Whatevers.  I'll probably pick up a 15-game plan or so.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: V-Adore on October 20, 2004, 04:38:48 pm
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but I was definitely raised for it; my father is a huge Dodgers fan and trained me from infancy for a reflexive hate for the Yankees. (Also the Giants, moreso, but the Yankees are more notable.) Although I now have several sensible reasons that I dislike the Yankees, some of it is still kneejerk reflex.

Right now my school's sports-fan scene is hilarious; I attend a college in western Massachusetts, with something like 60% of the student body from NYC, Boston, or environs thereof, and so people have been getting at each other's throats for the entire season. I've thrown in with the Sox, to nobody's great surprise. I fully expect riots if they blow this game, especially if it's all stone Buckner-style.

Definitely rooting for a Sox/Cards series, but in a pinch I'll take Anybody But the Yankees.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: arkabee on October 20, 2004, 05:05:58 pm
for the totallity of my life, i've hated baseball.  however, for the past couple of years, i haven't had cable.  i get abc and upn.  upn shows cardinals' games on the weekend so inevitably i end up with the option of crap or a cardinals' game.

while i still do not love baseball, i like the cardinals' announcers.  their voices are pleasing and put me into an almost trance-like state.

go cardinals.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on October 20, 2004, 06:37:34 pm
I'm a baseball fan.  It's been hard to stay loyal/interested when players move around as much as they do, but even when my team isn't in the playoffs (I'm hopeful the Tribe will be back next year) I really like good battles.  The Astros/Cards thing is being terribly overshadowed by Yanks/Red Sox - they're both pretty compelling stories if you're even a little interested in baseball.

I can't wait for schedules to come out for next year.  This summer I went to 10 games around Ohio in nine days, seeing every pro team from the lowest minor league to MLB play at least one home game.  Next summer is supposed to be a trip to Miami via Baltimore, DC, Atlanta and Tampa and whatever minor-league towns are foolish enough to get in our way.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 20, 2004, 07:19:16 pm
Superock or anyone, if you haven't been, go to PNC Park in Pittsburgh.  It's frikkin' awesome.

(http://www.bigfool.com/mascots/pierogies.jpg)
Title: Baseball?
Post by: jough on October 20, 2004, 07:22:09 pm
I miss Three Rivers Stadium. :(

However, the new "Citizen's Bank Park" in Philly is an old-school baseball park that is just the shiznat.

So did A-Rod knock that ball out of the glove on purpose or was it in the process of running to 1st?
Title: Baseball?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 20, 2004, 07:40:48 pm
That shit was SO on purpose. What a dick. Two calls against the Yankees in one game IN NY is unheard of, but the umpires got it right. Which is a nice change from the usual.

I'm an Indians fan myself so I know from Curses. Rocky Colavito is ours, although getting to the world series twice in my lifetime (95/97) makes up for the 70's and 80's eras of really crappy baseball. And probably broke the curse, too, although it's hard telling over the last two seasons.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: wombat on October 20, 2004, 08:32:58 pm
The only kind of sports fan I ever was (because I think you can't quite call figure skating a sport) was in high school when I was a Mets fan for a couple of years because my best friend lived near Shea Stadium.  (I lived in the Bronx but actually as far from the Yankees as you could get and still be in the Bronx.)  And I lived in the Boston area for a long time - even briefly in a dorm where you could hear the cheering from Fenway Park whenever there was a game.  So I can't help but be curious about what is going to happen.  But probably not enough to, like, watch an actual whole game or anything.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Flenker on October 20, 2004, 08:33:09 pm
I'm a huge baseball fan, and the Royals are my team.  So, I'm cheering for Houston, because of the stallion that is Carlos Beltran.  I don't like the Cardinals (because of the in-state rivalry with the Royals and in-division rivalry with the Cubs), hate the Yankees, and don't really care for the Red Sox.  I'm hoping for a Sox-'Stros series, with the Astros winning, and Beltran getting the World Series MVP.  I want to see him get a ring before he goes to the Yankees...
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 20, 2004, 08:41:31 pm
Quote from: "jough"
So did A-Rod knock that ball out of the glove on purpose or was it in the process of running to 1st?


Totally intentional.  Cheater cheater cheater.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: V-Adore on October 21, 2004, 04:03:40 am
Because I can't make a half-assed spoiler tag work:

FUCK YEAH!

This is all. I expect riots tomorrow from school, but what the hell.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: sailor on October 21, 2004, 05:43:54 am
i have never been into sports besides catching games/rooting for my local seattle teams and what-not. i've been watching the last half or so of the last 4 alcs and been totally pro-sox cause rooting for the yanks would be like rooting for bill gates and a gang of police vs. one legged drunk homeless guy. and how the sox came back and beat the rich ass cocky yanks is fukkin awesome.

and i'm so behind the cards soley becuz just fuck texas, as a state and anything that has to do with it, more or less in general.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Gimpson on October 21, 2004, 01:28:49 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
and i'm so behind the cards soley becuz just fuck texas, as a state and anything that has to do with it, more or less in general.


As a former Houstonian, I feel obliged to ask you politely not to mess with Texas.  

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 21, 2004, 03:12:57 pm
Taking out Lowe and bringing in Martinez isn't quite the Worst Managerial Decision ever, but it's right up there.  If Martinez sucks in game one of the World Series, it'll go up even higher.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Limmo on October 28, 2004, 03:57:35 am
That was awesome.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2004, 04:59:11 am
Fuck the Red Sox.

Yrs trly,
AW, Cardinal Fan

Dang it, I can't help being happy for 'em.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: jough on October 28, 2004, 05:03:42 am
REPENT!  REPENT!

THE END IS NIGH!

THE CURSE OF THE BAMBINO IS UPON US!
Title: Baseball?
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2004, 05:13:14 am
Verily shall the Bambino's wrath be great and terrible.

Me? I'm hoping for more riots around here. The last one had a bagpipe.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2004, 05:20:12 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Verily shall the Bambino's wrath be great and terrible.

Me? I'm hoping for more riots around here. The last one had a bagpipe.


No self-respecting riot has a bagpipe.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2004, 05:25:39 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Verily shall the Bambino's wrath be great and terrible.

Me? I'm hoping for more riots around here. The last one had a bagpipe.


No self-respecting riot has a bagpipe.


Ours did! Also they stormed the president's house for no apparent reason, chanting "MORTY, MORTY, MORTY, MORTY" on his lawn.

Did I mention my school is sort of dorky?
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 28, 2004, 06:14:13 am
GO SOX

THE LIMO POPS A WHEELIE

A MAN EMAILS A SMILE TO HIS DEAD GRANDFATHER
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Bozack on October 28, 2004, 06:27:17 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Congratulations Chowds!

Now remember, celebrate hard but have some dignity!

No roadtrips to NY to shit in Rockefeller Center or none of that crap.


I was in Greys Papaya (all night, crazy cheap, really good hot dog and juice place) at about 1 am, and a bunch of drunk frat fuckers wandered in and started shouting, YANKEES SUCK. They then ran out, as 3 Mexican hot-dog workers jumped the counter at them.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 28, 2004, 10:14:23 am
The Curse is over.  Now we can talk about SOMETHING, ANYTHING ELSE when it comes to the Red Sox.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2004, 01:11:27 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Verily shall the Bambino's wrath be great and terrible.

Me? I'm hoping for more riots around here. The last one had a bagpipe.


No self-respecting riot has a bagpipe.


Ours did! Also they stormed the president's house for no apparent reason, chanting "MORTY, MORTY, MORTY, MORTY" on his lawn.

Did I mention my school is sort of dorky?


I think that goes without saying.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 04:08:34 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
The Curse is over.  Now we can talk about SOMETHING, ANYTHING ELSE when it comes to the Red Sox.

Or even better, not talk about them at all!

My brother is a huge Sox fan.
Title: Baseball?
Post by: wombat on October 28, 2004, 05:44:24 pm
This is actually kind of sad.  Now they're not special.  From now on they're just another team that wins or loses.