The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jough on October 21, 2004, 04:21:43 am

Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: jough on October 21, 2004, 04:21:43 am
Since the humour in South Park II Team America: World Police, is likely to appeal to fans of Achewood, I'm wondering what others here thought of it.

I have to admit to finding it hilarious for the first twenty minutes, after which I was bored (until a song started).  But now that I've been listening to the soundtrack for the past few days, I'm really impressed by the music (as I was with the South Park movie soundtrack).

I don't know how this one will hold up to repeat viewings on DVD (the SP movie was a living room staple for weeks after the DVD first came out) but damn, funny songs.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: sailor on October 21, 2004, 05:35:53 am
haven't seen it but what i hear is: the this flick so so dumb, sick poopy-humor, with some politics thrown in (as more of a setting than the base of the actual jokes) that it ends up being worth the seat price.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: jough on October 21, 2004, 05:43:17 am
I don't know if it has potty humour (although there is a barf gag -but that has more to do with "look how funny it is that the puppet is throwing up 5X his body weight!" than it does with the actual vomit) but yeah, it's a pretty dumb movie.  I mean, it has foul-mouthed puppets.

The songs are great, though - very funny and not too far from their non-satire marks.

The real problem with the film is that it's a boring action movie.  But with puppets.  And funny songs.  It's like Pearl Harbor but with less wooden acting.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: slink on October 21, 2004, 12:32:03 pm
I got pretty bored of what Matt and Trey were doing for a long time, although they would often win me back (the SP movie, season 6 of SP which I enjoyed - then got bored of again straight after). So anyway, I was just set thinking Matt and Trey weren't going to do anything interesting again, and this crops up.
Not seen it yet, what with being in the UK, but I shall. I think they have just managed to win me back again. Bastards!
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: sjlimmer on October 21, 2004, 01:55:39 pm
Unfortunately, the four-plex here in town probably won't touch this one with a ten-foot pole, so I'm going to have a make a trek if I want to see this.  I'm hoping it'll be worth the half-hour drive.  If it is even still playing this weekend.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: Va on October 21, 2004, 03:05:47 pm
I liked it.

"America!  FUCK YEAH!"
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: jough on October 21, 2004, 04:52:37 pm
Yeah, the songs were fuck*ng hilarious and ALMOST worth watching an hour and a half long movie just to hear/see (sometimes the visuals and music together is funnier than just the songs).

Anyway, I've been playing the soundtrack for a few days straight now and am loving it.  I just wish the movie hadn't run out of steam after the first 20 minutes.

I mean, there is only so much puppet-related-humour to be drawn from that particular well.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: Va on October 22, 2004, 03:08:08 pm
I thought the puppets were amazing.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: jough on October 22, 2004, 04:21:33 pm
They were very expressive, and often I found the Uncanny Valley rearing its ugly head (excuse the pun).
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: side_show on November 08, 2004, 05:13:18 pm
Now that I work at a childrens theatre most days, where puppet making is the name of the game, it was a cathartic, wonderful release to see fuck*ng, swearing puppets.  I have to agree with you that it did get a little boring between songs at the end.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: Pedro Picasso on November 08, 2004, 07:42:14 pm
I thought it was hilarious.  It was the perfect parody of the old formulaic action movies.  Today's action movies are still formulaic, but the old ones were exactly like this.  The little gags were hilarious: the constantly moving boss' chair, the signal for "something's gone wrong", and the fact that the panthers were actually just house cats.  The "Montage" song changed my life.  The facts that they blew Michael Moore the hell up and made a Garofalo puppet with "shotgun-pop" head were wonderful.  JL remarked that it was much more even-handed than she expected (though she would never say she liked it).

I don't think this was a good movie.  But it was funny as hell.  I didn't need a good movie.  I needed to laugh a couple of times.  Mission accomplished.  

It needed more oral sex.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: AugustWest on November 08, 2004, 08:17:43 pm
Speaking of puppets, I rewatched the beginning of Being John Malcovich the other day.  I hadn't remembered how impressive the puppetry is in that movie.  Wow.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: jough on November 08, 2004, 08:34:11 pm
Yeah, the puppetry in BJM was way more impressive than in Team America.

It's too bad they couldn't get that guy to work on TA: WP.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: Pedro Picasso on November 08, 2004, 08:46:10 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Yeah, the puppetry in BJM was way more impressive than in Team America.

It's too bad they couldn't get that guy to work on TA: WP.


I disagree.  I think half the charm of the movie was how absolutely crappily it was made.  One puppet poking another in the eye while trying to point at his heart was incredibly funny.  There are a lot of movies that you cannot take seriously. This one forbade you from even trying.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: Bozack on November 08, 2004, 11:29:20 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

It needed more oral sex.


And, really, what puppet-show DOESN'T?
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2004, 03:20:00 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

It needed more oral sex.


And, really, what puppet-show DOESN'T?
Actually, I think this is some sort of universal law.  What couldn't be improved by more oral sex?
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: CortJstr on November 09, 2004, 04:21:20 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"

It needed more oral sex.

And, really, what puppet-show DOESN'T?
Actually, I think this is some sort of universal law.  What couldn't be improved by more oral sex?

Anything involving grandparents, Michael Jackson, or James Bond's Jaws.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 09, 2004, 05:35:29 am
And the landlady from Kingpin. Any more references to Oral Sex and I would likely throw up.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: AugustWest on November 09, 2004, 05:47:42 am
Things go better with Oral Sex.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 09, 2004, 06:44:00 am
Even Listerine.
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 09, 2004, 04:05:28 pm
But how does it stack up against Meet the Feebles (http://imdb.com/title/tt0097858/), the benchmark for all depraved puppet movies?
Title: Team America: World Police
Post by: Gimpson on November 09, 2004, 04:40:20 pm
Quote from: "PinkStainlessTail"
But how does it stack up against Meet the Feebles (http://imdb.com/title/tt0097858/), the benchmark for all depraved puppet movies?


Hey, I liked Team America and all, but it doesn't hold a candle to Meet the Feebles.