The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on October 27, 2004, 12:59:03 pm
-
We can safely assume Lyle doesn't have a letter in there.
-
I'd say Jough's suspension of disbelief issue has been overruled. Now I want to see if anybody else has a letters in there tomorrow and Friday.
-
We can safely assume Lyle doesn't have a letter in there.
If he did, it would say just this: "Feh!"
-
I'd say Jough's suspension of disbelief issue has been overruled. Now I want to see if anybody else has a letters in there tomorrow and Friday.
Shades of the Romance (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04262004) Novel (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04272004) week (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04282004) abound. To complete the running of this joke into the ground, 'stad need only have Todd and Blister digging through a trash can for the latest issue, to reveal a letter in ALL CAPS asking about oxygen sensors or partying with God.
I'd CJ it, but as usual, Achewood.com is spotty at best between the hours of 8am and 10am PDT.
edit: successfully CJ'd
-
I would comment on this comic but Achewood.com is down. I'll just imagine it based on your responses.
-
I would comment on this comic but Achewood.com is down. I'll just imagine it based on your responses.
Good, I'm not the only one getting a 504.
-
The use of "I have a friend..." is definitely genius.
-
Since when are stickers grape-flavored? Is this some sort of lick-n-stick thing?
-
I would comment on this comic but Achewood.com is down. I'll just imagine it based on your responses.
That's OK, with new SimJough(TM) action, we can give a typical Jough response:
Onstad is really losing it . I can't believe he's gone four days in a row with such a tired joke. Worst. Achewood . Ever.
:wink:
-
Now that I've seen it I was going to comment on it, but Mr. Isoceles has done a fine enough job.
-
Now that I've seen it I was going to comment on it, but Mr. Isoceles has done a fine enough job.
I've recently been of the belief that once the joke percolates down to Phillipe's level it's no longer funny. That said, that's a pretty good approximation for what it's like to be the kid in a family of adults, young adults and teens. By the time you're participating, you've made such a mockery of it that the joke is only kept alive because no one wants to shatter your fantasy.
That said, Phillipe will never get elected because of his extramarital affair with Ultra Peanut.
-
Best bit: Philippe's eyebrows in the 4th panel.
I looked like he was disgusted by Lyle's description of the magazine and had decided it was Bad like smoking or cursing and maybe the magazine would cause problems in the community.
But then he gives that look. Is it sneaking curiosity? Or something more?
Oh, Philippe! You're more mischievous than we thought!
-
Yeah, Bobby pretty much has it on the nose: by the time the joke involves Philippe (unless it's a Philippe-originating joke), it's really no longer funny. This is especially frustrating with this strip because the initial gag was both funny and thought-provoking, and now an interesting angle about Beef has devolved into tired Philippe-wants-to-be-president-but-doesn't-know-how gags.
-
Yeah, Bobby pretty much has it on the nose: by the time the joke involves Philippe (unless it's a Philippe-originating joke), it's really no longer funny. This is especially frustrating with this strip because the initial gag was both funny and thought-provoking, and now an interesting angle about Beef has devolved into tired Philippe-wants-to-be-president-but-doesn't-know-how gags.
Q. Where's the joke?
A. Phillipe is standing on it.
-
I don't think I suck for enjoying this strip, but I'm glad I read it before I read Bobby's deconstruction.
-
Yeah, I was thinking it's gone too far now that philippe's involved!
who bets it'll go on for a couple more strips?
..as for Lyle, I'm sure he has racier mags to write into.. heh.
-
Lyle is at least a Nugget reader.
-
Lyle is a porn producer not a porn consumer.
-
Lyle is a porn producer not a porn consumer.
Research (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10142004).
-
Lyle is a porn producer not a porn consumer.
Research (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10142004).
Excellent point CJ, and I accept it as such. However, why would Lyle be researching in Playboy. It's not like he's going to recruit the Playmate of the Month to star in Red Cox Sweep or Lip Sink:Ashlee's Story.
-
The use of "I have a friend..." is definitely genius.
Seconded. I liked this one. *Shrug*
How can you go wrong with "Dear Playboy Advisor!"
-
I like this one. When read in the printed collections in the same thirty seconds as the previous three "Advisor" strips, the timing will feel just about right.
Achewood strips aren't timed just for web reading. Owners of the printed collections will tell you that it's a different experience entirely to read them all in a sitting, going forward instead of backward, without having to wait a day in between each one.
I own all the printed collections (except Vol II), anyhow, and that's how it looks from this dirty old throne, eating my nasty old scone, driving this car bought on loan.
-
Hey, Chris.....did YOU end up with HIM?
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Bozack/73616.jpg)
AND DID YOU HAVE 7 KIDS?
-
Lyle is a porn producer not a porn consumer.
Research (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10142004).
Excellent point CJ, and I accept it as such. However, why would Lyle be researching in Playboy. It's not like he's going to recruit the Playmate of the Month to star in Red Cox Sweep or Lip Sink:Ashlee's Story.
That's why he's so disgusted with Playboy and the fact that every photo shoot looks exactly the same. Lyle generally prefers the kinds of magazines where the girl holds up her driver's license to prove that she just turned 18. That's the kind of place he can recruit from.
-
I like this one. When read in the printed collections in the same thirty seconds as the previous three "Advisor" strips, the timing will feel just about right.
Achewood strips aren't timed just for web reading. Owners of the printed collections will tell you that it's a different experience entirely to read them all in a sitting, going forward instead of backward, without having to wait a day in between each one.
I own all the printed collections (except Vol II), anyhow, and that's how it looks from this dirty old throne, eating my nasty old scone, driving this car bought on loan.
That's actually a damn good point. And, I might add, something that may motivate me to purchase the printed collections. Are there any owners of the printed collections who can back this claim up?
-
I own all the printed collections (except Vol II)
??? Why don't you own Vol II? Did you have to mortgage it? Forget and sell the last one?
I liked the series of Advisor strips. That guy's pretty savvy. His concern for Phillippe's innocence is touching (Just this page, okay buddy?).
-
I'll also speak up for having liked the strips. Now if he'd taken it to five it would have been a touch lame, but I thought working it up to Lyle and then suddenly pulling back and going to Philippe was clever.
Not to mention that even if I tried really hard I don't think I could tire of Philippe.
-
I just got mine, and the experience of flipping through the books is definitely different. Also, the cookbook is fuck*ng hilarious. And the Teodore apron is frikkin' awesome.
-
I think Onstad is right. Right now we're waiting all day for a strip so we're a little disappointed when it's a continuation of ths same joke. But an archive/book reader only waits 2 seconds and can enjoy it as a continuation of the current theme.
See also: the Calvin grows so big he falls off the planet series of strips.
-
Yea. I was horrified that I would miss the alt-texts in the book, but you don't really miss them. Or maybe I just refuse to go through with post-its for three months.
I do look forward to the next volume though, as I really want to get to last Hallowe'en!
-
??? Why don't you own Vol II? Did you have to mortgage it? Forget and sell the last one?
I was just kidding. I thought it would sound weird to say that.
-
??? Why don't you own Vol II? Did you have to mortgage it? Forget and sell the last one?
I was just kidding. I thought it would sound weird to say that.
It worked.
Love your avatar. I went to Jr. High with a girl who looked just like that. I think everybody went to Jr. High with a girl who looked just like that.
-
Isn't that the Classmates.com banner ad girl?
I think she looks like Paul Rubens. Aaaaagh! Ha-ha.
-
I didn't go to junior high with a girl who looked like that. Maybe I was the girl who looked like that, however terrifying that thought may be.
-
I liked the Phillipe strip. Between the thank you for the grape stickers and the whole "You shouldn't be reading this but here goes" vibe" it entered a nice area of inappropriateness. As a former child reader of Playboy I heartily approve.
-
I've been going over some of the old threads, and I learned this terminology CJ'ing, and I decided that I need to fix this. Anyway:
Lyle is at least a Nugget (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=07232004) reader.
-
??? Why don't you own Vol II? Did you have to mortgage it? Forget and sell the last one?
I was just kidding. I thought it would sound weird to say that.
There are still Vol. II's to be had. I've noticed that he sold the last copy of the original Vol. I, though. This may have happened a long time ago. Either way, congrats.