The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: slink on October 28, 2004, 10:40:09 am

Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: slink on October 28, 2004, 10:40:09 am
Wow.
Too many great lines in this one. Chewbacca, burnin' molars, toupees, Beef discussing his situation like it's a scientific advance that calls for the killing of many small, cute animals, or old people...
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: palm trees on October 28, 2004, 10:48:23 am
pretty fuckin' rad alt-text as well
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: slink on October 28, 2004, 10:57:34 am
Quote from: "palm trees"
pretty fuckin' rad alt-text as well


Indeed. I again, for some reason, forgot to look at the alt-text when I first read the strip.
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2004, 12:36:00 pm
Nervous over
Life with a girl?
Close the door
They hear you hurl
Burma shave
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2004, 01:04:45 pm
Pluto (http://www.brunching.com/conversationpluto.html) defends itself (http://www.brunching.com/morepluto.html).
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 28, 2004, 01:18:12 pm
It's still a pissed off piece of snow.
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: jough on October 28, 2004, 01:26:33 pm
Oh man, the perfect end cap to the Playboy Advisor Joke That Grew Too Olde.

I think we'll have to update the "Achewood Catch Phrases" thread after this one.
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2004, 02:47:20 pm
This does rather redeem things, yes -- although I believe wholeheartedly that the alt text is by far the best part of this, just because I can totally picture an angry Wookiee* mother banging on the door. And, of course, I can picture Chewbacca's six-hundred-dollar prom dress.

* yeah, I'm a loser
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Va on October 28, 2004, 02:50:01 pm
Firefox refuses to display more than 60 characters of alt-text for me.  I have to view the properties of the image and then copy and paste the text to see it all.  Am I the only person who has this problem?  Is this something I can set in about:config or something?

By the way, the "alt-text" is actually a title, and the images in fact have no alt-text.  View source, I'll wait.  See?
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Bozack on October 28, 2004, 02:59:54 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This does rather redeem things, yes -- although I believe wholeheartedly that the alt text is by far the best part of this, just because I can totally picture an angry Wookiee* mother banging on the door. And, of course, I can picture Chewbacca's six-hundred-dollar prom dress.

* yeah, I'm a loser


Didn't we actually meet Chewbacca's family in the Wookie Christmas Special?

OUT-LOSER'D!

Oh, and Va, I have the same problem. I usually just view source, but I was going to post the same thing. Won't someone please thing of VA and me?
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2004, 03:20:44 pm
Quote from: "Va"
Firefox refuses to display more than 60 characters of alt-text for me.  I have to view the properties of the image and then copy and paste the text to see it all.  Am I the only person who has this problem?  Is this something I can set in about:config or something?

By the way, the "alt-text" is actually a title, and the images in fact have no alt-text.  View source, I'll wait.  See?

It's a known bug in Firefox. You can just drag over the Properties window to make the text scroll or use the "View this page in IE" option if you have that extension.

Also, we known he (correctly) uses the Title attribute but calling it title is confusing since that's also the name for the text in the window's top bar. Plus most people are used to the term alt-text from its years of mis-use.

There used to be an extension that made Fire* display alt-text attributes like IE but I don't know if it was ever updated for newer versions.
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: slink on October 28, 2004, 03:28:38 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
I am not, however, at all certain I agree with Ray's advice.  But it is passable if considered from a "I want my buddy comfortable" perspective rather than a "good things ain't easy" viewpoint.


Yea. I'm totally with you there. If I were Ray I'd have told Beef to stop being an idiot and do what he can to make them both happy, as then things will be better for everyone. But then I'm just like that...


That is, I'll keep stabbing myself in the eye (metaphorically) even if it'd hurt less in the end to give up. I guess I only accept certain kinds of pain.
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 04:01:42 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Yea. I'm totally with you there. If I were Ray I'd have told Beef to stop being an idiot and do what he can to make them both happy, as then things will be better for everyone. But then I'm just like that...

That would have been a touch less funny, I think. I guess that's why it isn't Slinkwood (though that'd be a funny name).

Jadrankowood?
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: slink on October 28, 2004, 04:11:55 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

That would have been a touch less funny, I think. I guess that's why it isn't Slinkwood (though that'd be a funny name).


I might change my name so Slink is short for Slinkwood. Although the jokes would be unbearable. And certainly, I wasn't at all saying I thought it should go that way. I mean, if Molly and Beef split, it would sadden me, but it's not real life, so I just have to see what happens you know. (Hell, as would be the case if it were real life... I don't know where that was going, but you get the drift. Ugh, job interviews...)
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 04:28:17 pm
Quote from: "slink"
And certainly, I wasn't at all saying I thought it should go that way. I mean, if Molly and Beef split, it would sadden me, but it's not real life, so I just have to see what happens you know. (Hell, as would be the case if it were real life... I don't know where that was going, but you get the drift. Ugh, job interviews...)


Yeah, I know. Actually, when I read this comic and thought about posting a response to it, I thought about the image of Chewie's mom hollering through that door, and Chewie being anorexic, and I thought that I might not ever say anything so bizarrely funny in my life. Meaning, I guess, that I think the dichotomy of what a person might say in a comic situation to be true to their own personality is rarely what they might say to be funny.

Hey look, I killed a thread!
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: slink on October 28, 2004, 04:41:19 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Hey look, I killed a thread!


Good to have you back, man!
:)
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 28, 2004, 07:47:17 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Didn't we actually meet Chewbacca's family in the Wookie Christmas Special?



(http://www.stomptokyo.com/sings/swholiday/images/itchymala.jpg)
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 08:38:04 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This does rather redeem things, yes -- although I believe wholeheartedly that the alt text is by far the best part of this, just because I can totally picture an angry Wookiee* mother banging on the door. And, of course, I can picture Chewbacca's six-hundred-dollar prom dress.

* yeah, I'm a loser

Didn't we actually meet Chewbacca's family in the Wookie Christmas Special?



(http://www.stomptokyo.com/sings/swholiday/images/itchymala.jpg)

It ain't going for it.
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: starlight on October 28, 2004, 10:17:16 pm
Actually, I sort've agree with Ray's advice.... only in that if one is suffering that much, it's perhaps a sign something is wrong.

Of course, knowing beef's character, this isn't surprising that he'd react this way even if things might turn out okay going by past episodes.. just in general, the advice wasn't that bad.

I mean, I'm a masochist.  I'd draw the line at throwing up though.. but I have an insane fear of it, so perhaps that's why.  I'd take a pain in my heart, digging nails into my skull and beating myself up while throwing things against walls, but no, not throwing up!  that would be the end... heh.

Oh and ditto on the funny quotage of this strip!
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: slink on October 28, 2004, 10:41:09 pm
Quote from: "starlight"
Actually, I sort've agree with Ray's advice.... only in that if one is suffering that much, it's perhaps a sign something is wrong.

I'd draw the line at throwing up though..


I kind of know what you mean. I wouldn't say I have an irrational fear of throwing up, but it's just so unpleasant it's best avoided.
I just feel with the advice that, well, my view was just that if I were in Beef's place, I would want to sort myself out, as I think it's Beef that is the main problem. Molly's tried to communicate with him, but he just can't do it.

And I guess it's basically because I screwed up my first chance with a girl by being like Beef, and so if I could go back my advice would be to deal with it and not fuck it all up.
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 29, 2004, 12:26:15 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
This does rather redeem things, yes -- although I believe wholeheartedly that the alt text is by far the best part of this, just because I can totally picture an angry Wookiee* mother banging on the door. And, of course, I can picture Chewbacca's six-hundred-dollar prom dress.

* yeah, I'm a loser

Didn't we actually meet Chewbacca's family in the Wookie Christmas Special?



(http://www.stomptokyo.com/sings/swholiday/images/itchymala.jpg)

It ain't going for it.


That's what I get for messing with the powers of Stomp Tokyo.

Here's a link with pictures a plenty:

http://www.stomptokyo.com/sings/swholiday/holidaygallery.html
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: slink on October 29, 2004, 08:06:05 am
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"


http://www.stomptokyo.com/sings/swholiday/holidaygallery.html


Oh my...

I'm glad I missed out on this. They managed to do so many strange things to the Star Wars franchise, and I'm just glad I didn't come across this when I was younger in the hope it would be good!

Lumpy... Superb.

Plus, now we know why Ford refuses to go back and be involved with anything Star Wars now - because he did some really degrading work based on the franchise in the 80's!
Title: You're selling yourself toupees - 28 Oct '04
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 29, 2004, 05:54:52 pm
The cartoon segment wasn't bad.  It was kind of Heavy Metal-y (Some of the aliens looked like they popped out of Yellow Submarine.) and you got the first appearance of Boba Fett.

But the rest....well Jefferson Starship man, Jefferson Starship.