The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on October 28, 2004, 01:22:47 pm

Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2004, 01:22:47 pm
I'm not trying to be pissy or give you a hard time here, I'd just honestly like to know -- Do you intend to continue updating the Serializer strips?  Achewood was pretty much the only thing I read there and if you aren't going to post I don't really have a reason to subscribe.
Title: Re: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2004, 02:41:25 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm not trying to be pissy or give you a hard time here, I'd just honestly like to know -- Do you intend to continue updating the Serializer strips?  Achewood was pretty much the only thing I read there and if you aren't going to post I don't really have a reason to subscribe.


I quit my serializer subscription.
Then Onstad updated with "How I made it in web comics."
I reapplied for serializer.
They said I already had an active subscription. WTF.
Then...

It turns out that's a reprint of something he printed in Flak magazine.

And there's been nothing since.

Sorry to go all joughish here, but actual money is involved. I've ignored it because it's a trivial amount thus far, but if updates just aren't gonna happen, I can divert it elsewhere.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 28, 2004, 07:42:57 pm
I refer to it as an archive now, and recommend just buying a one-month subscription if Achewood is the only one you're interested in reading. I think there are over sixty installments in there, so for $3 or whatever, it's a really good deal. Thanks for subscribing, it does help support Achewood.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2004, 07:46:51 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
I refer to it as an archive now, and recommend just buying a one-month subscription if Achewood is the only one you're interested in reading. I think there are over sixty installments in there, so for $3 or whatever, it's a really good deal. Thanks for subscribing, it does help support Achewood.


Thanks Chris.  It's a wonderful set of stuff and I'll probably re-subscribe at some point to check it out again.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2004, 07:51:16 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
I refer to it as an archive now, and recommend just buying a one-month subscription if Achewood is the only one you're interested in reading. I think there are over sixty installments in there, so for $3 or whatever, it's a really good deal. Thanks for subscribing, it does help support Achewood.


Thanks Chris.  It's a wonderful set of stuff and I'll probably re-subscribe at some point to check it out again.


Hear hear. Thanks Chris.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2004, 07:52:37 pm
That's good to know. I might pay for a month and get caught up; three bucks for sixty strips is more than reasonable, I believe.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 08:33:56 pm
I keep forgetting to cancel that. Oh well, it's a good cause.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: jough on October 28, 2004, 09:52:52 pm
So no more new Achewood at Serializer?

I guess I'll cancel then.  I don't really read anything else there.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 28, 2004, 11:00:38 pm
I expect to have time to add things there again after the holidays. We're really busy right now with producing a few new books and shop items.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2004, 11:11:29 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
I expect to have time to add things there again after the holidays. We're really busy right now with producing a few new books and shop items.


From what I've heard regarding the different experiences in the strip books (plus the cookbooks -- the mussel linguini recipe was good), it may be worth it to save the for-pay content for print. I give a shit about serializer but I've been convinced to buy the anthologies and cookbook.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2004, 11:16:35 pm
I rather agree re: saving for-pay content for the books. They give me a greater incentive to actually buy the books; since I'm not all that focused on just having a hard copy of strips I've already read, it's nice to have some incentive that sweetens the pot. Also, I'm fairly sure I'd rather pay ten bucks for a book I'll have forever than three bucks for reading access for a month.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2004, 11:26:46 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
it's nice to have some incentive that sweetens the pot..


Translation:

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I would like to see a "girls of Achewood" centerfold set including Molly, Penny, Ultra Peanut, that bear who was chatting up Cornelius, and a hot Tina shoot!
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2004, 11:39:16 pm
Oh, sure, that's what you say, Mr. Isosceles Lock. Are you and the ABBA guys still talking?
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 28, 2004, 11:44:26 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Oh, sure, that's what you say, Mr. Isosceles Lock. Are you and the ABBA guys still talking?


Let's just say I was bjorn to be a sexual bandit.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: sailor on October 29, 2004, 07:28:20 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
I expect to have time to add things there again after the holidays. We're really busy right now with producing a few new books and shop items.


uh huh/ and i'm gonna get off the whiskey train, maybe,..um...tomorrow?

or not. sawl good.

maybe the next day.

onstad-it would be rad if you showed at some comi-con or whatever inth northwest.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 29, 2004, 08:09:04 am
Quote from: "sailor"

onstad-it would be rad if you showed at some comi-con or whatever inth northwest.


I'll be doing signings around the San Francisco bay area this winter in support of the new book. The next cities on the roster are Boston, Austin and Portland. Late 2005 should see us in the UK and Canada.

At cons I feel like more of a zoo animal, having my picture unpleasantly snapped while an endless parade of non-readers who are afraid to pick up the books and shirts—lest the sad nobody artist attempt conversation—crab-walk aloofly past. It's an experience I genuinely detest. Plus the hot dogs are like eleven dollars.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 29, 2004, 12:48:12 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "sailor"

onstad-it would be rad if you showed at some comi-con or whatever inth northwest.


At cons I feel like more of a zoo animal, having my picture unpleasantly snapped while an endless parade of non-readers who are afraid to pick up the books and shirts—lest the sad nobody artist attempt conversation—crab-walk aloofly past. It's an experience I genuinely detest. Plus the hot dogs are like eleven dollars.


The life of a cartoonist...

Quote from: "Orwell"

The trucks were still filing past, the people still insatiably gaping. At the start there had been a few boos and hisses, but it came only from the Party members among the crowd, and had soon stopped. The prevailing emotion was simply curiosity. Foreigners, whether from Eurasia or from Eastasia, were a kind of strange animal. One literally never saw them except in the guise of prisoners, and even as prisoners one never got more than a momentary glimpse of them. Nor did one know what became of them, apart from the few who were hanged as war-criminals: the others simply vanished, presumably into forced-labour camps. The round Mongol faces had given way to faces of a more European type, dirty, bearded and exhausted. From over scrubby cheekbones eyes looked into Winston's, sometimes with strange intensity, and flashed away again. The convoy was drawing to an end. In the last truck he could see an aged man, his face a mass of grizzled hair, standing upright with wrists crossed in front of him, as though he were used to having them bound together.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: arkabee on October 29, 2004, 01:36:47 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
. Plus the hot dogs are like eleven dollars.


that's insanse!

there aughta be a law.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: arlucasinc on October 29, 2004, 03:32:16 pm
I dig on Serializer sometimes. The Salon is really good, The Odyssey of Winton Woral is hilarious. Unlikely looks like it's going to be tragic, and Red Eye Black is good, too. Oh, and who could forget the Tale from Gimbley stuff.
And I would be completely remiss if I didn't mention Fetus-X

I just wish that people like Onstad and Weing and Demian5 and stuff would get back to doing more stuff there. I love Pup.

One of these days I just need to switch my subscription to yearly and save a buck or two.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: slink on October 29, 2004, 03:37:36 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"

I just wish that people like Onstad and Weing and Demian5 and stuff would get back to doing more stuff there. I love Pup.


Damn straight. I have been waiting til I have the credit to sign up, and then will devour the Achewood and Pup that is there, and well, probably not a whole lot more, but I'll certainly browse the rest.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2004, 05:06:37 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "sailor"

onstad-it would be rad if you showed at some comi-con or whatever inth northwest.


I'll be doing signings around the San Francisco bay area this winter in support of the new book. The next cities on the roster are Boston, Austin and Portland. Late 2005 should see us in the UK and Canada.

Jesus Mary and Joseph!
Not one of the other 20 Portlands, right? Portland, Oregon, right? Do you have any further deetails? Because I might have to take time off of work for this.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: andalucia on October 29, 2004, 06:03:03 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

I'll be doing signings around the San Francisco bay area this winter in support of the new book. The next cities on the roster are Boston, Austin and Portland. Late 2005 should see us in the UK and Canada.


Canada?
Canada, North America?
I live there!
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: slink on October 29, 2004, 06:13:09 pm
Yea, and last time you were over here, not onyl was I in London when you were, but the pub you went to in Lieth was literally at the end of the road from my brother's flat (Iona Street).
I was working the conference though, with it being Easter, so I didn't even know 'til afterwards.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: AugustWest on October 29, 2004, 06:16:43 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

I'll be doing signings around the San Francisco bay area this winter in support of the new book. The next cities on the roster are Boston, Austin and Portland. Late 2005 should see us in the UK and Canada.


Canada?
Canada, North America?
I live there!


No, the other Canada.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: sailor on October 29, 2004, 06:19:37 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "sailor"

onstad-it would be rad if you showed at some comi-con or whatever inth northwest.


I'll be doing signings around the San Francisco bay area this winter in support of the new book. The next cities on the roster are Boston, Austin and Portland. Late 2005 should see us in the UK and Canada.

Jesus Mary and Joseph!
Not one of the other 20 Portlands, right? Portland, Oregon, right? Do you have any further deetails? Because I might have to take time off of work for this.


yeah, i'll get down to PDX for that, i've been meaning to go visit friends anyway. (i'm like two hours north) whenny when when?

i'll buy you a lousy frikkin' hot dog.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2004, 06:29:36 pm
Quote from: "sailor"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "sailor"

onstad-it would be rad if you showed at some comi-con or whatever inth northwest.


I'll be doing signings around the San Francisco bay area this winter in support of the new book. The next cities on the roster are Boston, Austin and Portland. Late 2005 should see us in the UK and Canada.

Jesus Mary and Joseph!
Not one of the other 20 Portlands, right? Portland, Oregon, right? Do you have any further deetails? Because I might have to take time off of work for this.


yeah, i'll get down to PDX for that, i've been meaning to go visit friends anyway. (i'm like two hours north) whenny when when?

i'll buy you a lousy frikkin' hot dog.

Maybe we can pool our funds and buy him several hot dogs.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2004, 07:47:45 pm
Actually, I have plane tix purchased up into January, and it would just be a giant crap-shoot if it worked out. But thank you for making me seem threatening and weird. I'll handle that myself, if you don't mind.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 29, 2004, 08:38:31 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Yea, and last time you were over here, not onyl was I in London when you were, but the pub you went to in Lieth


I was in Lieth? I didn't know where I was half the time, except that the exchange rate was $1.86:£1. Where's Leith?

Yes, Portland OR. And the Canada that America wears as a tricorn, not Canada, VT. Not sure which area yet.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2004, 09:56:41 pm
Do you have any idea when, roughly?
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: slink on October 30, 2004, 01:31:48 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"

I was in Lieth? I didn't know where I was half the time, except that the exchange rate was $1.86:£1. Where's Leith?


Leith is the bit of Edinburgh you were in when you went to the football (Easter Road being parallel to Leith Walk). But it is very distinct from the rest of Edinburgh, if you spend much time there, so I always make the distinction.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: Chris Onstad on October 30, 2004, 08:37:35 am
Well I'll be. I had no idea. Go Hibs.

The people in Leith (and Edinburgh in general) were remarkably nice to foreigners. None of that cosmopolitan attitude like we bumped into in pubs down on "fleet street" or whatever that place is, where "journalists" wear double-breasted suits, hold noses on high, and print tabloids full of SCANDALOUS!!! celebrity upskirts.
Title: Question for Onstad!
Post by: sailor on October 30, 2004, 08:48:43 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Well I'll be. I had no idea. Go Hibs.

The people in Leith (and Edinburgh in general) were remarkably nice to foreigners. None of that cosmopolitan attitude like we bumped into in pubs down on "fleet street" or whatever that place is, where "journalists" wear double-breasted suits, hold noses on high, and print tabloids full of SCANDALOUS!!! celebrity upskirts.


celibacy. theanswerforthefuture.