The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 05:44:04 pm

Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 05:44:04 pm
Quote from: "Ray"
I'm talking about guys who crashed at friends' houses even though they had mustaches.


There's too much good shit in here, but I thought that was just inexplicable.

I think Téodor's is the blog that I've been most pleasantly surprised by. I mean, I pretty much knew that I would enjoy Lyle's, but I feel like I had no idea who Téodor really was.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2004, 06:15:11 pm
Quote from: "Ray"
so I just sat and made stinky lines rise from my head while I fumed.


This made me laugh hard.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Gimpson on October 28, 2004, 06:21:47 pm
Also, Ray is apparently smoking again.  Philippe would not approve.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Choop on October 28, 2004, 06:34:50 pm
WHY HAS NOT MR. KAZENZAKIS UPDATED RECENTLY?
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Silverberg on October 28, 2004, 06:52:41 pm
Too busy shaking and puking, I'd imagine.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: andalucia on October 28, 2004, 06:55:03 pm
Aw, man, many good things... like basically all of Ray's entry.  I also very much dug "extremely rained on".
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2004, 07:51:38 pm
It saddens me that nobody has quoted this yet:

Quote from: "Ray"
I do not doubt for an instant that 7-Ball is going to go home and mainline Chinese hot mustard while he gets laid off from his job creating random words for Spam emails.

The concept of this job existing, let alone it being filled by a guy named "7-Ball," fills me with near-childish glee.

EDIT: Further thoughts, now that I'm more fully caught up:

I'm glad to hear that the Ekaterinburg thing is generally working out for Cornelius. We all pretty much know that the love thing will end in tears, but it sounds like he's genuinely enjoying the experience, so hopefully something will come of it regardless. I also really like his writing style; it's like the cool alive-stuffed-animal travel writer we all wish we knew.*

Also, LN using the word "abate." This is totally gold.

* Admittedly, the "alive stuffed animal" part is negotiable.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on October 28, 2004, 08:36:22 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
It saddens me that nobody has quoted this yet:

Quote from: "Ray"
I do not doubt for an instant that 7-Ball is going to go home and mainline Chinese hot mustard while he gets laid off from his job creating random words for Spam emails.

Well, I looked around at Ray's post, and I could have quoted just about anything, so I just put in the mustache thing because it killed me. I mean, what the hell do cats care from mustaches?
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: slink on October 28, 2004, 11:37:12 pm
OK, the phrase about mustacheoed men is now added to my lexicon.
But dang, I know kinda how he feels.

Never did like Tina, in a, it's great when she apears because it makes things really interesting, way.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2004, 11:02:11 pm
Quote from: "Ray"
. . . a performance by Machetes de Fuego, this awesome machete performance troupe outta Quito.

This would be just crucial.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Choop on October 30, 2004, 02:21:59 am
Only Ray would invent a drink which translates to "Wet Floor."


That's the only Spanish I learned from Taco Bell: "Cuidado: Piso Mojado" from the yellow just-been-mopped sign.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: CortJstr on October 30, 2004, 02:42:09 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Only Ray would invent a drink which translates to "Wet Floor."

Considering what he was calling his maid (http://raysmuckles.blogspot.com/2004/07/oh-damn.html) are you surprised?
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Ben-San on October 30, 2004, 03:27:42 am
I think that a party with the theme "tequila and machetes" is a prime candidate for returning Roast Beef and/or Molly to Heaven.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: CortJstr on October 30, 2004, 03:46:30 am
Quote from: "Ben-San"
I think that a party with the theme "tequila and machetes" is a prime candidate for returning Roast Beef and/or Molly to Heaven.

Only if there's a roller skate.
Title: Roast Beef has a twin brother!????
Post by: sensate on October 31, 2004, 05:45:11 pm
Did I somehow miss this?

The mind reels.
Title: Re: Roast Beef has a twin brother!????
Post by: Nabubrush on October 31, 2004, 05:55:27 pm
Quote from: "sensate"
Did I somehow miss this?

The mind reels.


It is this cat. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12302002)

He is in the straight-up dopest Serializer strip. Go here (http://www.serializer.net/subscribe.php) and buy a month of it right now.

I was going to ask CortJstr for help, but I did it all by myself!
Title: Re: Roast Beef's Twin
Post by: sensate on November 01, 2004, 05:13:57 pm
Duh...I never realized he and Showbiz were twins.

Besides, being a cat and all sort of negates the whole idea of twins anyway. Thanks.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Gimpson on November 01, 2004, 10:55:44 pm
Just in case there was any doubt, machetes and tequila do not mix.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2004, 11:21:09 pm
Quote from: "Ray"
Another guy . . . decided that he could swallow a flaming machete. The doctors say that he'll never speak again . . .

Any party that can make a person think this is, at some level, a successful party.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: AugustWest on November 02, 2004, 06:39:37 am
Re: The Tequila and Machetes Thing

This bit had some great moments.  There are some lovely jokes in both the setup post and the payoff.  However, it was just too obvious that the first post was a setup post.  I mean, tequila and machetes?  Wha?  Where did that party theme come from?  Ray is Ray and Ray is goofy in his own way (and sophisticated in his own way.)  But I had trouble believing that Ray was goofy enough to mix tequila and machetes.  What's next?  Fireworks and blowtorches?  Israelis and Palestineans?

At least Beef didn't lose an organ.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: slink on November 02, 2004, 03:02:39 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Re: The Tequila and Machetes Thing

At least Beef didn't lose an organ.


I just loved the image of the guy who lost his thumb cradling his hand like Luke. Loved it!
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2004, 03:45:57 pm
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history—with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. —  Mitch Ratliffe
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Formica on November 02, 2004, 04:49:39 pm
Yeah, Ray's party was an obvious setup, but it was a fuckin' funny one nonetheless.

Props to the ritual machete torture.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: slink on November 02, 2004, 05:16:09 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history—with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. —  Mitch Ratliffe


Thankyou! I've always loved that quote, but couldn't remember where I found it. It's in the first few pages, or first page, of a book I have somewhere... Palahniuk maybe?
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2004, 05:27:42 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history—with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila. —  Mitch Ratliffe

Thankyou! I've always loved that quote, but couldn't remember where I found it. It's in the first few pages, or first page, of a book I have somewhere... Palahniuk maybe?

I've only ever seen it online and out of context so I couldn't help you.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: slink on November 02, 2004, 07:00:26 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

I've only ever seen it online and out of context so I couldn't help you.


Let down by the CortJstr'er! Dang!
I keep getting the feeling it might have been Salmon of Doubt now, but it doesn't sound right to me. Ah well, I can't be bothered to go through all of my books.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2004, 07:25:13 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Let down by the CortJstr'er! Dang!
I keep getting the feeling it might have been Salmon of Doubt now, but it doesn't sound right to me. Ah well, I can't be bothered to go through all of my books.

It's definitely older than SoD. I've had in my quote list for several years now.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2004, 07:32:48 pm
Could this (http://quotes.prolix.nu/Authors/?Mitch_Ratliffe,_Technology_Review,_April,_1992) be it?

Not that it means much without a link to the original article, I suppose, and the site only goes back to '97.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: slink on November 02, 2004, 11:17:56 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Not that it means much without a link to the original article, I suppose, and the site only goes back to '97.


No, no it's quoted at the start of a piece of fiction I own. I am thinking then it is in the front of Choke by Palahniuk, but I can't check as my mother has my copy at the moment.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2004, 11:48:25 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

Not that it means much without a link to the original article, I suppose, and the site only goes back to '97.


No, no it's quoted at the start of a piece of fiction I own. I am thinking then it is in the front of Choke by Palahniuk, but I can't check as my mother has my copy at the moment.

When was that published? Amazon says 2001, with parts published in Playboy before then, but that other link says 1992 for the quote.

Sorry, I just looked and the driving purpose behind your question was where you had seen it. This is why I shouldn't get involved with these things.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 03, 2004, 12:08:42 am
I will feel better about this if my candidates and/or amendments are victorious.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2004, 12:11:37 am
Bloody nipple spots. There had better be a fetish porn site about this or I will lose faith in the interweb.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 03, 2004, 01:03:15 am
If Bush wins, the continental flavor that the strip will pick up from the change of scenery will help to soothe the pain.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 03, 2004, 08:06:32 pm
Quote from: "Lyle"
mother of leather it's like I just fell in a pool of sex.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I think this subplot ought to work out quite nicely. I see Liquid Banjo in the future.

I'm worried about Mr. Bear.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 03, 2004, 09:21:18 pm
Achewood: It's all about the blumpkin.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Formica on November 03, 2004, 09:24:30 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "Lyle"
mother of leather it's like I just fell in a pool of sex.

Now that's what I'm talking about. I think this subplot ought to work out quite nicely. I see Liquid Banjo in the future.

I'm worried about Mr. Bear.

Lyle gets to live out my greatest alcoholic dream: touring Scotland distilleries on someone else's dime.

Mmmmm, Scotland.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2004, 09:29:42 pm
Quote from: "superock101"
Achewood: It's all about the blumpkin.

Every strip needs a running joke. Calvin had The Noodle Incident, Liberty Meadows has Chupacabra, Garfield has pretty much everything. Now Achewood has blumpkins.

[edit: I had the complete wrong word for Liberty Meadows]
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: jough on November 03, 2004, 09:46:27 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Calvin had The Noodle Incident...


You'll never prove that was him!
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: andalucia on November 03, 2004, 10:01:17 pm
Also I think he has confused Quebec with Canada.  But yes, in this glorious province I could get poutine at McDonalds if I so desired*, or at any of the numerous locations of La Belle Province, the official poutine franchise.  And yes, today it definitely is nipple-endangeringly cold.   But it's a small price to pay.  I don't even know when the last time was that I heard about our prime minister doing anything at all.**





* I do not.
** And Paul Martin's pretty corrupt by Canadian political standards.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 03, 2004, 10:37:29 pm
I was going to say that Philippe not winning the presidency is the saddest thing, but after re-reading this, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11052001) it doesn't really compare.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: wombat on November 03, 2004, 11:28:35 pm
Anyone else notice that the Onstads seem to be pregnant?  I'm beginning to worry again that reading this board is some kind of fertility enhancer.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2004, 12:30:29 am
Ha, Asherdan! Your fertility symbols have no power over me!
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: V-Adore on November 04, 2004, 12:34:59 am
I personally find the blumpkin thing forced and inexplicable, a vaguely-funny joke aged way past its prime, but that may just be me.

Congratulations to the Onstads on the apparently-extant proto-baby.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: CortJstr on November 04, 2004, 01:07:33 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I personally find the blumpkin thing forced and inexplicable, a vaguely-funny joke aged way past its prime, but that may just be me.

He could drill it into the ground until it circles itself into becoming funny again.

Uma, Ophrah.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Formica on November 04, 2004, 02:26:21 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I personally find the blumpkin thing forced and inexplicable, a vaguely-funny joke aged way past its prime, but that may just be me.

This is the essence of Onstad.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: cashlock on November 04, 2004, 09:31:53 pm
You all sound like a bunch of whiners who've never enjoyed a blumpkin.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: V-Adore on November 04, 2004, 11:56:51 pm
If not having enjoyed a blumpkin is wrong, well, then I don't want to be right.

Also, there are many things which I have experienced and enjoyed that Onstad has managed to ludicrously overextend jokes about.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: cashlock on November 05, 2004, 02:33:05 am
Actually, I hope that the blumpkin, much like everything else on the "dirty sanchez" list has never ever happened in real life.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: jough on November 05, 2004, 03:05:47 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
If not having enjoyed a blumpkin is wrong, well, then I don't want to be right.


Does a woman really "enjoy" a blumpkin, though?  I mean, do you really get off on the smell of your boyfriend's shit?
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Bozack on November 05, 2004, 03:31:02 am
Quote from: "cashlock"
Actually, I hope that the blumpkin, much like everything else on the "dirty sanchez" list has never ever happened in real life.


Does it count if one is sitting on the toilet lid, but not shitting? Because I'm in college, and I've been with a lady friend, and the bathroom doors lock....have I actually performed some sort of lady-blumpkin?
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: cashlock on November 05, 2004, 03:39:38 am
I think shitting is the raison d'être for the blumpkin.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: V-Adore on November 05, 2004, 04:06:44 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
If not having enjoyed a blumpkin is wrong, well, then I don't want to be right.


Does a woman really "enjoy" a blumpkin, though?  I mean, do you really get off on the smell of your boyfriend's shit?

I would have no idea, as the "not having enjoyed" includes an implied clause of "not having attempted or even possessed any particular desire to attempt." But hey, people have fetishes?

Me, I shall continue to avoid.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: jough on November 05, 2004, 06:28:48 am
I read your statement as "I always enjoy giving Blumpkins.  I have never NOT enjoyed one."

I thought you may have been the first female in history* to not only perform the Blumpkin, but LIKE it.









* Other than Courtney Love
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 05, 2004, 06:50:14 am
Quote from: "cashlock"
I think shitting is the raison d'être for the blumpkin.


I think the prostate is raisin eater for the blumpkin.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: V-Adore on November 05, 2004, 08:35:05 am
Well, that'll show me to ever mention blumpkins again without a giant disclaimer about HAVE NOT TRIED THIS, DO NOT WANT TO, EWW.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: slink on November 05, 2004, 12:41:45 pm
EW EW EW EW EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW.

Yea, thanks peaople. I should remember the title of this thread so I acn AVOID IT!
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2004, 03:35:27 pm
This needs to not be happening about 15 posts ago.
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: AugustWest on November 05, 2004, 05:13:52 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
This needs to not be happening about 15 posts ago.


Right you are!
Title: Blogs: 10-28 to 11-3
Post by: V-Adore on November 05, 2004, 05:16:28 pm
As usual, August beat me to the lock. Good on you.