The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Gimpson on October 29, 2004, 11:32:20 am

Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Gimpson on October 29, 2004, 11:32:20 am
My laugh upon seeing the sixth panel was a sort of snort.  Nicely set up in the blogs, I must say.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: starlight on October 29, 2004, 11:36:12 am
Oops.. I should've refreshed the board one more time before making a thread... *embarassed*

Anyway, I haven't read the blogs since ray's post unless that was the setup... I just didn't see it comin'
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: andalucia on October 29, 2004, 12:13:08 pm
Loved the art in the first panel, and yeah, the plot twist actually did make me laugh.  I find Tina's utter irritatingness very amusing.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: V-Adore on October 29, 2004, 12:25:05 pm
Tina gets more irritating by the moment, yes. Also, I'm somehow not surprised that Ray would be having this long-time on-again-off-again affair with an Applebee's hostess -- bets that they met when he slipped her bills for a good table?
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 29, 2004, 01:06:58 pm
OH SNAP!
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Noah on October 29, 2004, 01:11:44 pm
haha....I'm surprised no one's mentioned the alt-text. This might be the best one ever.  The strip only sets up the joke.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: slink on October 29, 2004, 01:13:00 pm
Again. Wow!
So nicely set up, not as horrific an ending for Beef as I expected (will probably work out for the better, except for the Tina thing maybe), and the alt-text added to the embarrassing laughter.

Now I wish I'd closed my door.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2004, 01:57:12 pm
The best part is how appropriate the molecule test is for Beef. If it were Ray it would be until he couldn't say Escalade or some such.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Silverberg on October 29, 2004, 03:03:30 pm
It almost makes me feel dirty, how much this cracked me up. Before even reading the alt-text.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: jough on October 29, 2004, 03:04:27 pm
I wish I could read all of the alt-text, but Firefox seems to cut it off after so many characters.

I'm sure there's an extension to fix that somewhere.  

Oh CJ...
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 29, 2004, 03:22:47 pm
Don't burden our gracious
Plagiarist hosts
Save bandwith by locking
Duplicate posts
Burma Shave


Rock over London
Rock on Chicago
Achewood: I must have gotten my bone on like six times!
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: arlucasinc on October 29, 2004, 03:24:16 pm
You could always just view the source of the page and find it that way. That's what I always end up doing when Onstad gets overly verbose with the alt text.

My problem is that, having never watched Seinfeld, I have no idea what he's talking about.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: arlucasinc on October 29, 2004, 03:26:54 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
Don't burden our gracious
Plagiarist hosts
Save bandwith by locking
Duplicate posts
Burma Shave


When creating new posts
Please be sure to check
That one's not already out there
Or else you'll catch heck
Burma Shave
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: slink on October 29, 2004, 03:39:04 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I wish I could read all of the alt-text, but Firefox seems to cut it off after so many characters.

I'm sure there's an extension to fix that somewhere.  

Oh CJ...


Yea, right click, view source and scroll down a couple of lines...
OK, so it's not ideal, but it does fine.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: V-Adore on October 29, 2004, 03:41:49 pm
Yeah, I think in the long run this may be the best thing for Beef and Molly. Really, they've only been together for a relatively short time, thanks to the strangenesses of Heaven; they sort of went right from casually dating to shacking up and looking for a new place, which is Serious Business. With luck, this way they can both calm down about Theoretical Commitment and get to know each other better.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: wombat on October 29, 2004, 03:48:47 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jough"
I wish I could read all of the alt-text, but Firefox seems to cut it off after so many characters.

I'm sure there's an extension to fix that somewhere.  

Oh CJ...


Yea, right click, view source and scroll down a couple of lines...
OK, so it's not ideal, but it does fine.


Mozilla is doing the same thing.  I figured out how to do what you guys said here, and it works, but it sure takes a lot of the fun out of it.  For pete's sake I shouldn't have to hack the assembler code to read the freaking comics.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2004, 04:03:32 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I wish I could read all of the alt-text, but Firefox seems to cut it off after so many characters.

I'm sure there's an extension to fix that somewhere.  

Oh CJ...

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=27433#27433
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 29, 2004, 04:32:45 pm
Is this the end of the "Molly is an unfeeling witch" talk? This seems like a pretty appropriate solution.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on October 29, 2004, 04:39:16 pm
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
Is this the end of the "Molly is an unfeeling witch" talk? This seems like a pretty appropriate solution.


tina starts to fall in love with beef thus starting an actual cat fight.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 29, 2004, 06:07:22 pm
Beef should move in with both of them and try to convince the landlord that he is gay.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: wombat on October 29, 2004, 06:10:24 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
I wish I could read all of the alt-text, but Firefox seems to cut it off after so many characters.

I'm sure there's an extension to fix that somewhere.  

Oh CJ...

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=27433#27433


The properties window cuts off even more characters (in Mozilla anyway.)

I shouldn't have to hack the assembler code to read the freaking comics!

Oh, fine.  I'll be looking at Garfield and getting ink all over my fingers if anyone's trying to find me, OK?
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on October 29, 2004, 06:31:09 pm
Wombat, don't do it!

Oh the humanity!
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: arkabee on October 29, 2004, 06:32:16 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
I wish I could read all of the alt-text, but Firefox seems to cut it off after so many characters.

I'm sure there's an extension to fix that somewhere.  

Oh CJ...

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=27433#27433


The properties window cuts off even more characters (in Mozilla anyway.)

I shouldn't have to hack the assembler code to read the freaking comics!

Oh, fine.  I'll be looking at Garfield and getting ink all over my fingers if anyone's trying to find me, OK?


in the properties window,
left click and DRAG to highlight the alt.text.
then KEEP dragging right.
it will "scroll".
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: sailor on October 29, 2004, 06:33:35 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "jough"
I wish I could read all of the alt-text, but Firefox seems to cut it off after so many characters.

I'm sure there's an extension to fix that somewhere.  

Oh CJ...

http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?p=27433#27433


The properties window cuts off even more characters (in Mozilla anyway.)

I shouldn't have to hack the assembler code to read the freaking comics!

Oh, fine.  I'll be looking at Garfield and getting ink all over my fingers if anyone's trying to find me, OK?


um, all you gotta do is expand the properties box by placing yr cursor over the right side of the box until it transforms into the arrows thingy and then simply drag.

friends don't let friends read garfield.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: wombat on October 29, 2004, 07:03:49 pm
Quote from: "sailor"


um, all you gotta do is expand the properties box by placing yr cursor over the right side of the box until it transforms into the arrows thingy and then simply drag.



Oh, FINE.  Yes, that seems to work.  Thank you all.
 
But how many jokes are going to be good enough to stand up to all that fuss?
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: MSC on October 29, 2004, 08:20:32 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
My problem is that, having never watched Seinfeld, I have no idea what he's talking about.


I think he was not referring to actual Seinfeld, but rather he was making a self-knowing nod to the ridiculous sit-com-esque turn of events in this strip.

In tomorrow's strip, Phillipe rides by on a motorcycle and hauls ass to Lollapalooza.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2004, 08:32:46 pm
Quote from: "MSC"
In tomorrow's strip, Phillipe rides by on a motorcycle and hauls ass to Lollapalooza.

Here we go again!
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Silverberg on October 29, 2004, 09:54:01 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "MSC"
In tomorrow's strip, Phillipe rides by on a motorcycle and hauls ass to Lollapalooza.

Here we go again!


Monday, on Achewood!

TEODOR: Fine, Ray. I'll do your job for a day, and you do my job for a day, and then we'll see who's got it the toughest!
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Golfhaus on October 30, 2004, 01:47:03 am
Am I the only one a little weirded out by the fact that Molly calls Roast Beef "Beef" like his friends do? She does this twice in today's strip, and numerous times prior. Where I come from, girlfriends aren't supposed to call their boyfriends by the nickname the friends call him. I have a female friend (and no, smartalecks, I actually have MORE than one), and I knew she was "over" her old boyfriend when she called him the same name we called him by.

Then again, I suppose it might cause problems to call him "Cassandra."
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: V-Adore on October 30, 2004, 02:16:17 am
Er. with all due respect, Golfhaus, where are you getting this? "Beef" seems like a perfectly reasonable shortening -- it's not like she's calling him "The Gazonger" or anything else stupidly fratboyish. I've never seen any of the couples I know deviate from a nickname except when it's something really fratesque and dumb.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Choop on October 30, 2004, 02:25:40 am
Yeah, it's not like she's going to call him "Arby." She probably has a pet name for him that she doesn't use in public is all.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2004, 03:36:40 am
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Yeah, it's not like she's going to call him "Arby."


Choop, You..Are..Rad..
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: jough on October 30, 2004, 05:49:03 am
I used to go with a girl who called her ex-boyfriend Jeremy "Germy."  This tickled me.

Of course, she had an even less flattering nickname for me after awhile.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: foolio on October 30, 2004, 09:15:03 am
Does no one else think that the funniest part of the strip was the second panel? Give this guy Jagers till he can't say "Molecule"???!?!?!?!?
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Nabubrush on October 30, 2004, 03:04:42 pm
Quote from: "foolio"
Does no one else think that the funniest part of the strip was the second panel? Give this guy Jagers till he can't say "Molecule"???!?!?!?!?

Gimpson might, given the title of the thread.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: Golfhaus on October 31, 2004, 01:06:51 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Er. with all due respect, Golfhaus, where are you getting this? "Beef" seems like a perfectly reasonable shortening -- it's not like she's calling him "The Gazonger" or anything else stupidly fratboyish. I've never seen any of the couples I know deviate from a nickname except when it's something really fratesque and dumb.


Really? In my example, the name in question was "Chris," the nickname everyone but the girlfriend called him was "Sanford." Not like we were calling him something stupid.

Maybe it's because Roast Beef isn't so much a nickname as an "alternate" name. I dunno. It still makes me do a double take when I see it.

YMMV.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: slink on October 31, 2004, 02:04:15 am
Quote from: "Golfhaus"

Maybe it's because Roast Beef isn't so much a nickname as an "alternate" name. I dunno. It still makes me do a double take when I see it.


Have I missed something here? I thought Beef's name was Roast Beef Kazenzakis, no? If so then Beef is his real name. What else is she going to call him!?

Also, everyone I've been involved with since I started using this name (almost three years ago) has called me Slink, though when I formally changed it one girl did decide she wouldn't call me it. She utterly failed to however, as she had always called me Slink. I guess there's no real differentiation between anyone I know, in terms of how they know me.

Also, in terms of the example given, and similar instances, I would think it happens because the new partner came from outside the group of friends who use the nickname, and thus they would have to learn a new name. I am back in touch with someone I was with before I started using this name, and she's finding it really difficult to refer to me as Slink when I'm not around, simply because it's new to her.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: V-Adore on October 31, 2004, 02:06:24 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "Golfhaus"

Maybe it's because Roast Beef isn't so much a nickname as an "alternate" name. I dunno. It still makes me do a double take when I see it.


Have I missed something here? I thought Beef's name was Roast Beef Kazenzakis, no? If so then Beef is his real name. What else is she going to call him!?

Technically his real name is Cassandra, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12022002) but yeah. it definitely appears in practice that everyone calls him "Roast Beef" as his real name. (This doesn't appear to be that weird for the Underground; see Spongebath, for instance.) "Beef" just seems like a logical shortening of it.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: slink on October 31, 2004, 02:09:00 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Technically his real name is Cassandra, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12022002)


Ah yes. I'm considering drinking tea from now on, as it is supposed to help stop neurotransmittor decay...
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: CortJstr on October 31, 2004, 03:30:22 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Technically his real name is Cassandra, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12022002) but yeah. it definitely appears in practice that everyone calls him "Roast Beef" as his real name. (This doesn't appear to be that weird for the Underground; see Spongebath, for instance.) "Beef" just seems like a logical shortening of it.

They even call him RB in heaven (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03052003) but it's listed in quotes so I guess it's just a nickname.
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 31, 2004, 08:18:23 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Technically his real name is Cassandra, (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12022002)


Ah yes. I'm considering drinking tea from now on, as it is supposed to help stop neurotransmittor decay...


Slink, Dude, love you like a brother and all, but the neurotransmitter ship has SAILED for you, man....
Title: until he can't say Molecule - 29 Oct 2004
Post by: slink on October 31, 2004, 01:19:27 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Slink, Dude, love you like a brother and all, but the neurotransmitter ship has SAILED for you, man....


Ugh. Yea, so true. Oh well, at least I don't have to drink tea all the time then.