The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: andalucia on November 01, 2004, 01:07:58 pm

Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: andalucia on November 01, 2004, 01:07:58 pm
Pretty good, mostly thanks to the alt-text.  I do like the hat though.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: slink on November 01, 2004, 01:21:25 pm
I really liked this one. Lots more good stuff flying, and something about the feel of the conversation I really liked.
I only didn't start a thread for this 'cause I couldn't decide what I was going to call it.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 01, 2004, 01:37:38 pm
All driving a Goldwing and collecting swords!  Yeah!
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: CortJstr on November 01, 2004, 02:07:15 pm
He is right though. I've know two different IT guys at two different companies I temped for who would wear hats like that and trench coats &c to try and look suave in a 40's kind of way. It didn't work.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 01, 2004, 02:56:05 pm
The bike says it all...

(http://www.theautochannel.com/media/photos/motorcycles/honda/1999/goldwingse.jpg)
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 01, 2004, 02:57:09 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
He is right though. I've know two different IT guys at two different companies I temped for who would wear hats like that and trench coats &c to try and look suave in a 40's kind of way. It didn't work.


It doesn't work without a three piece pin striped suit; and sleeve garters, wether anyone sees them or not.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: slink on November 01, 2004, 03:25:50 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
The bike says it all...


They have a reverse gear... 'nough said.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2004, 07:27:34 pm
That's madness. Ray is not convincing Téodor with the Bogart reference, so he goes to Dan Rather? I am liking how Ray's eyebrow is up the whole time, still working it, and Téodor's got that squint going, like he's really considering if the look works, instead of just dismissing Ray out of hand. And then Ray just folds.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: V-Adore on November 01, 2004, 07:41:49 pm
Yeah, the Dan Rather thing threw me for a loop. Does Ray actually think Dan Rather is cool? If so, why?
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: Chris Onstad on November 01, 2004, 07:53:16 pm
Because Dan Rather fits all Ray's criteria for cool:

* Probably rides around in a limo
* Is on TV
* Is rich
* Is powerful
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: Mantonio on November 01, 2004, 07:54:35 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Yeah, the Dan Rather thing threw me for a loop. Does Ray actually think Dan Rather is cool? If so, why?


I would have thought if any Achewood character would be a fan of Dan Rather, it would be Lie-Bot.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: Nabubrush on November 01, 2004, 08:07:55 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Because Dan Rather fits all Ray's criteria for cool:

* Probably rides around in a limo
* Is on TV
* Is rich
* Is powerful

Well, you would know. I always am surprised by that aspect of Ray, because he comes off as pretty blasé to me, or maybe jaded. It's fun when he can be that into something. My real feeling of dissociation (or whatever it would be) was that he went from Bogart to Rather. If Bogart isn't making it, just lose the hat. But Bogart must be pretty distant for him.

Also, let me point out that I very much enjoyed today's strip.

And I know it is just a cartoon cat.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: arkabee on November 01, 2004, 10:34:05 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Yeah, the Dan Rather thing threw me for a loop. Does Ray actually think Dan Rather is cool? If so, why?


because dan rather was big daddy cool before kevin nash's daddy ever had morning wood.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: foolio on November 01, 2004, 11:53:41 pm
I used to have a hat like that. I'm closer to a SysAdmin than to Bogart as well. Nice strip.

And not to question the free market, but who the @#$% pays $350 for a 5x7 painting of an ALIVE STUFFED ANIMAL?
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2004, 01:01:26 am
Quote from: "foolio"
I used to have a hat like that. I'm closer to a SysAdmin than to Bogart as well. Nice strip.

And not to question the free market, but who the @#$% pays $350 for a 5"x7" painting of an ALIVE STUFFED ANIMAL?


I wish I had this kind of discretionary income, but I suspect my wife would have a little problem with it. If it was 5' x 7', however, I'd say consequence be damned!
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: slink on November 02, 2004, 01:10:42 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"

I wish I had this kind of discretionary income, but I suspect my wife would have a little problem with it. If it was 5' x 7', however, I'd say consequence be damned!


Has to be said, I look at it and think 'how in hell...' but, had I the disposable income, I'd buy one!
Similarly I'd buy a Joe Sorren (http://www.joesorren.com) (now my favourite artist) painting, and possibly even one by Meathead (http://meathead.cjb.net) (I've shared a forum with him fo a while, and not only does he amuse me often there, but I really like how his paintings are turning out - the ones in the middle (i forget the names) in particular).
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 02, 2004, 04:53:47 am
Dan Rather is cool.

There is a guy who dresses kind of like that at my university. I don't know him, but the look screams nerd in his case and makes me uncomfortable.

I sometimes wonder if I look at all like that when I wear my nice resale duds, or if I look shabby-dignified-urban or some such. I think it is the latter.
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: V-Adore on November 02, 2004, 05:04:37 am
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
There is a guy who dresses kind of like that at my university. I don't know him, but the look screams nerd in his case and makes me uncomfortable.

I think there's one at every college -- we have the guy who basically dresses exactly like Pat in his Renfest phase (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09262003), all with the suit jacket and the cape and the pocket watch and the hat with a feather in. (Of course, at this point I think everyone on the quad who isn't me owns an all-weather cape, so maybe it's just my problem...)
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2004, 03:09:00 pm
Quote from: "JorgeFabregas"
Dan Rather is cool.

There is a guy who dresses kind of like that at my university. I don't know him, but the look screams nerd in his case and makes me uncomfortable.

Like Dan Rather? Or like Ray, with a fedora, no shirt and a gold medallion?
Title: Nov 1: Pizza-Goiter
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2004, 03:46:56 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I think there's one at every college -- we have the guy who basically dresses exactly like Pat in his Renfest phase (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09262003), all with the suit jacket and the cape and the pocket watch and the hat with a feather in. (Of course, at this point I think everyone on the quad who isn't me owns an all-weather cape, so maybe it's just my problem...)

Dammit I have a pocket watch. It's even the windup kind. I'm such a geek!