The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Chris Onstad on November 02, 2004, 04:29:21 am

Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Chris Onstad on November 02, 2004, 04:29:21 am
Details at:

http://www.achewood.com/pr11022004.php

They won't be publishing the advertised collection of strips and brand new print-only material after all — our respective visions of the final project were simply too disparate. Sorry to everyone who pre-ordered, you can expect refunds from the publisher.

That said, we have a fantastic new press-ready version of Volume One completed and are shopping new publishers. There's a ton of really dense new Achewood legend and lore content included in this project, and we're looking forward to getting it to readers.  

Also, our self-published Volume IV will be here in just a couple weeks. We will begin to re-offer our own self-published Volume I again in time for Christmas.

Thanks for reading,
/C
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: jough on November 02, 2004, 05:34:24 am
Drag.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Limmo on November 02, 2004, 05:41:02 am
Yes, that is among things that suck.  I was looking forward to seeing Volume I at my local Barnes and Noble.  

Still, I remain confident that that day will come.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: AugustWest on November 02, 2004, 06:32:27 am
I guess that sucks Chris.  Are you disappointed?  Are you pleased it didn't happen?  If these folks aren't a good fit then you probably did the correct thing in calling the deal off.  It's better to retain the integrity of your work and wait for the right book deal, I think.

On the other hand, if this isn't your choosing and those bastards have screwed you over, well, fuck them.  Fuck them with a holly tree.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Chris Onstad on November 02, 2004, 06:54:02 am
Thanks for the commiseration. No one got burned on this deal, we just didn't like the way the project was heading and decided to hold out. I'm excited because it gives me more time to add to the new print-only content while we research new publishers. There are several pages of up-to-date maps, "Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird" guitar tablature, historical Achewood town newspaper clippings, and more, and I'm itching to get to show them to the diehard fans.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: ndpatel on November 02, 2004, 08:11:23 am
please tell me the creative differences were like adding punctuation to roast beef, etc.

it's just what i expect, y'know?
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: jough on November 02, 2004, 02:46:43 pm
Oh, now I see.

Creative Differences == Dispute Over Money or Royalties

Thank god for this "Press Release --> English" dictionary.


P.S. When I said "Drag" above I meant it in the same way that Paul McCartney did when he heard that Lennon had been killed.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: V-Adore on November 02, 2004, 03:02:38 pm
I'm disappointed, but it's probably better in the long term that you find a publisher whose views (about creative issues, money, etc.) are compatible with yours. I have all faith that you'll find a more suitable publisher soon; good luck anyway.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: slink on November 02, 2004, 03:05:16 pm
At least I don't have to worry about finding the cash to pick up a copy yet! As is, I am going to have to get enough together to pick up vol. iv!
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Nabubrush on November 02, 2004, 03:05:35 pm
That is a shame, Chris. I'm glad that it wasn't all like "giant corporation destroys local man." Does this mean you won't be going to those various locations you listed in the other thread?
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Silverberg on November 02, 2004, 03:37:09 pm
Quote
Thanks for the commiseration. No one got burned on this deal, we just didn't like the way the project was heading and decided to hold out.


Oh yeah?

Then how come you had to sell your eyes?
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2004, 03:52:16 pm
Have you considered Image Comics? Frank Cho (Liberty Meadows) seems to be happy with them and he puts out hard/softcover books in addition to his "bi-monthly" comic book. Plus I've always wanted to see Philippe and Truman together.

I guess it's time to pre-order Vol 4 though. I wonder who I should request for the drawing.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Chris Onstad on November 02, 2004, 05:41:03 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Creative Differences == Dispute Over Money or Royalties


No, I was happy with those aspects of the contract. It really was an issue of me not liking how they wanted the book to look.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: V-Adore on November 02, 2004, 05:46:04 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "jough"
Creative Differences == Dispute Over Money or Royalties


No, I was happy with those aspects of the contract. It really was an issue of me not liking how they wanted the book to look.

Ah, yeah, I can see that -- the aesthetic of the front cover didn't really work for me, personally, and if the entire book had that sort of design sense, I can see where the conflicts come in. IMHO, the artistic sensibility of Achewood is represented best by minimalism (as in the self-published covers, which are lovely); if they were aiming for clutter, I can see disaster looming.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2004, 05:58:23 pm
Indeed. The covers reminded me of Onion books which isn't at all what Achewood is about. They're all about clutter and cheap blue jokes. I've never seen an Achwood strip that drew 100% of it's humor from swearing (other than the two deleted strip in Volume 2).
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 02, 2004, 07:31:42 pm
That's too bad.  Is Fantagraphics a possibility?  I know some of those guys are fans.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: jough on November 02, 2004, 09:35:18 pm
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
Quote from: "jough"
Creative Differences == Dispute Over Money or Royalties


No, I was happy with those aspects of the contract. It really was an issue of me not liking how they wanted the book to look.


Well, I'm sorry it didn't work out, especially so late in the game (it was due to ship in two weeks, no?).

I have little doubt that you'll be able to find a better publisher that will help you to get YOUR vision out there.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Bozack on November 03, 2004, 12:16:40 am
Quote from: "Chris Onstad"
... "Sullivan's Bear and Dried Bird" guitar tablature...


Okay, now I really CAN'T wait.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Chris Onstad on November 03, 2004, 09:38:56 am
Fantagraphics and Pantheon do world-class work with Ware's stuff, as does Jeff Mason with Kochalka's stuff, but let's not get this one man's hopes up before Christmas comes and lands a single snowflake onto the tear that is running down his cheek (the snowflake contains C2H5K7, a known catalyst which turns the tear into malignant sarcoma)

Thank you for the good wishes. At this point Achewood has over 1,400 pages of material, including the strips, blogs, advice columns, and Serializer installments, and we would like more people to be able to see it.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: Crashlander on November 03, 2004, 11:30:09 am
Fax it over to me.
Title: Achewood/Checker Book Publishing Group deal canceled
Post by: foolio on November 04, 2004, 05:58:06 am
*gasp*

Why is the Philippe victory strip canceled?! Did Bush demand a recount? PHILIPPE WON FAIR AND SQUARE