The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: filas on November 04, 2004, 08:29:08 am

Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: filas on November 04, 2004, 08:29:08 am
first of all:  LIE BOT!!!  hoooooray!
secondly:  ouch
third-a-lee:  there's GOT to be better ways to sound like Micky

i'm not so much a discussion participant . . . more like a cheerleader.




--------------------------------
TUES, 11/2/2004:  "HISTORY WILL NOT FORGIVE US THIS DAY"
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: pubdoggy on November 04, 2004, 08:56:14 am
can I just say - this is everything I EVER wanted.

Serious political discourse meets nad tweaking.

Sorry America, btw...
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: foolio on November 04, 2004, 09:31:10 am
this strip makes me so sad.

Although it's good that Philippe doesn't have to face the brutal experience of losing an election to someone dumber than him; he thinks he is saving Mickey.

/runs off to hug Philo Bear
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Immortal on November 04, 2004, 09:54:38 am
it took me a few minutes to figure out what ray was doing

but looking back now, i think it was similar to my reaction to the election results, i just didn't want to accept what was going on. quite bizarre, to think that a cat could pull on his thong and sound like mickey penis. isn't there some kind of weird philosophical thing going on there, since cats and mice are supposed to be diametrically opposed and all?

i like this strip though. to me it says everything about the democratic process...the lies and corruption part of it anyway. well, that and the fact that our president acts like he's younger than phillippe half the time. that helps
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Noah on November 04, 2004, 10:50:56 am
I thought all those three things, too. Then I thought, "Wait, isn't Ray neutered?"
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: filas on November 04, 2004, 11:15:30 am
ah, Noah!  haven't we all wondered that eternal question at some point?  i think it was... Jan 21, 2002

alright, pubdoggy . . . that picture of the cat dressed as Ray.  too much realism.  i don't even connect it with ray, i have to look at it and think, that's a cat with ray's glasses and necklace . . . oh, yeah - ray is a cat.  

you know what i think it is?  doesn't capture the surliness.  couldn't you make that cat look surly?  i'm just playing.  i know it doesn't translate well to text, but i am.  if you heard me you'd know i'm messing around.

anyway back to the discussion:  so . . . nuts, huh?
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: slink on November 04, 2004, 12:30:15 pm
I thought that that is kind of sweet actually.
I mean, even Liebot was willing to help out and make Philippe feel better. Then agan, maybe Ray just asked him to lie and he was more than happy to oblige...
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 04, 2004, 02:21:28 pm
I'd kill Mickey penis to bring about a Phillipe presidency.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: CortJstr on November 04, 2004, 02:40:18 pm
Emeril would've been a safer choice because there's no way Philippe would let anything happen to him but it doesn't leave any room for rad chilis-based humor.

I think this might be the first time we've seen Lie bot use his powers for good instead of entertainment.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2004, 03:11:39 pm
The alt-text implies this is something Ray does on an irregular basis. Did Lie-Bot go to Ray and say, "I have an idea, but I need you to do your nut-throttling trick for it to work" or did Ray go to Lie-Bot and say, "Hey, you think you can work the old nut-throttle in somewhere?"
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: arkabee on November 04, 2004, 03:15:40 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I'd kill Mickey penis to bring about a Phillipe presidency.


this statement has made my morning "ok".
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 04, 2004, 03:40:49 pm
I also needed a few moments to figure out what exactly Ray was yanking.

Good use of Lie Bot.  Interesting to see Lie Bot and Ray working together, though, after the whole Uncle Culpepper thing.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 04, 2004, 06:30:59 pm
At first I thought he was playing with a yoyo and just 'yanked' the yoyo back up...then I got it.

This is good.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: MSC on November 04, 2004, 07:01:43 pm
THAT! STRIP WAS SO! DAMN! AWESOME!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: V-Adore on November 04, 2004, 07:03:54 pm
Full points to Instad for working out an end to the Philippe-for-President arc that doesn't involve Philippe's heart being broken and ends the joke pretty thoroughly. This is good.

Also, good to see Lie Bot's still kickin' around.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Silverberg on November 04, 2004, 07:48:24 pm
I don't think there's anything about this strip that doesn't kick ass. Aside from the little wince the last panel elicited when I realized what Ray was doing.

Ow.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: jough on November 04, 2004, 08:03:39 pm
What a perfect way to end the Philippe for President thread.  His cute little heart doesn't get broken and yet he doesn't become president.  

And it's always good to see LieBot, who was obviously programmed by John F. Kerry.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: doomglobe on November 04, 2004, 08:24:53 pm
ray hurting himself almost made me forget that my country is again in the hands of an idiot corporate monkey yes-tard who is for guns and smoking.

but not quite. I weep still, in my private moments.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2004, 08:27:59 pm
Quote from: "doomglobe"
ray hurting himself almost made me forget that my country is again in the hands of an idiot corporate monkey yes-tard who is for guns and smoking.

but not quite. I weep still, in my private moments.

Holy Crap! Nice to hear from you, DG!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Pedro Picasso on November 04, 2004, 10:02:18 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Holy Crap! Nice to hear from you, DG!


Indeed!  Where the crap have you been, buddy?
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: wombat on November 04, 2004, 10:48:47 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I'd kill Mickey penis to bring about a Phillipe presidency.


Heck, I'd kill Mickey penis just to watch him die.

And indeed, why doesn't Doomglobe love us?
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Nabubrush on November 04, 2004, 11:10:21 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
And indeed, why doesn't Doomglobe love us?

Now, now - sometimes people just go away for awhile. It's no reflection on you. Just be happy when they return!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: arkabee on November 05, 2004, 12:32:31 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "wombat"
And indeed, why doesn't Doomglobe love us?

Now, now - sometimes people just go away for awhile. It's no reflection on you. Just be happy when they return!


indeed!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: andalucia on November 05, 2004, 12:42:59 am
Huzzah for Doomglobe!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 05, 2004, 03:34:40 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I'd kill Mickey penis to bring about a Phillipe presidency.


Heck, I'd kill Mickey penis just to watch him die.


There's a Johnny Cash song in there somewhere.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: AugustWest on November 05, 2004, 03:46:32 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I'd kill Mickey penis to bring about a Phillipe presidency.


Heck, I'd kill Mickey penis just to watch him die.


Yeah, but would you shoot him in Ren... uh, Orlando?  

I'm just irritated that you beat me to this line.

Quote from: "jough"
What a perfect way to end the Philippe for President thread. His cute little heart doesn't get broken and yet he doesn't become president.

When are you making your concession speech?

Quote from: "V-Adore"
Instad...


Is this Chris's evil twin?  The hipper, more fashionable version?
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: AugustWest on November 05, 2004, 03:47:21 am
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I'd kill Mickey penis to bring about a Phillipe presidency.


Heck, I'd kill Mickey penis just to watch him die.


There's a Johnny Cash song in there somewhere.


DAMMIT!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 05, 2004, 04:25:28 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"


Quote from: "jough"
What a perfect way to end the Philippe for President thread. His cute little heart doesn't get broken and yet he doesn't become president.

When are you making your concession speech?



::pulls out the JoughSim::

<jough> This was a terrible election. I mean, it just wasn't at its snuff. I've seen better. This was not it. I am extremely disappointed in the American Public. I thought it could do better. Worst. Election. Ever.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: jough on November 05, 2004, 06:27:10 am
Well, my campaign hasn't even gotten out of first gear yet.

I'm not constitutionally eligible to be president until the 2012 election, so I'm just starting to make the public conscious of my candidacy early.

Election years are good years to campaign even if you're not running in the current race.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: andalucia on November 05, 2004, 12:22:58 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I'm just irritated that you beat me to this line.


Well, I mean, I had thought that the Cash allusion was the crux of wombat's joke as well.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 05, 2004, 01:58:41 pm
I'm sorry if I joke echoed.  The "Killed a man just to watch him die" line predates Johnny Cash (It's a reference to an old western outlaw whose name escapes me.)  I just heard Cash's voice in my head singing about killing Mickey penis and it sounded like the greatest thing ever.  (It was the old scary sounding Cash.0
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Gimpson on November 05, 2004, 02:30:25 pm
One of my very favorite Kids In The Hall sketches was this one (http://www.kithfan.org/work/transcripts/one/gunfight.html).
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2004, 03:32:50 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
I'm sorry if I joke echoed.  The "Killed a man just to watch him die" line predates Johnny Cash (It's a reference to an old western outlaw whose name escapes me.)  I just heard Cash's voice in my head singing about killing Mickey penis and it sounded like the greatest thing ever.  (It was the old scary sounding Cash.0

Didn't they often say that about Billy the Kid?

And I appreciated your joke as well, wombat.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 05, 2004, 06:40:00 pm
I don't think it was B the K; I remember a similar line from those awful old commercials for Time-Life Books "The Old West".

"An outlaw so mean, he once shot a man for snorin'"
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: andalucia on November 05, 2004, 07:23:29 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
John Wesley Hardin (http://www.famoustexans.com/johnwesleyhardin.htm)


But he seemed like such a nice  fellow! (http://bobdylan.com/songs/harding.html)
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 05, 2004, 07:36:00 pm
I know someone would know who that was....

I love that he became a lawyer. This is indeed a land of opportunity.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2004, 07:39:00 pm
Quote from: "Wendy Brabner or Ron Tyler"
On September 28, 1878, Hardin was sentenced to twenty-five years for the Brown County deputy's murder. He was pardoned on March 16, 1894. Having studied law while in prison, Hardin was admitted to the Texas bar soon after his release.

In 1895, Hardin went to El Paso to testify for the defense in a murder trial. Following the trial, he stayed and established a law practice. Just when he seemed to finally be going straight, Hardin began an affair with one of his married female clients. Her husband found out about the affair and Hardin hired some law officials to kill him. One of the hired gunmen, however, Constable John Selman, shot Hardin instead.

Hmmm, lawyer, eh?


EDIT: D'OH!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: wombat on November 05, 2004, 08:54:21 pm
Joke?  What joke?

Quote
Despite his killing of over thirty people, Hardin had a reputation as a gentleman among those who knew him, and he always claimed he never killed anyone who didn't need killing.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Nabubrush on November 05, 2004, 09:14:07 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Joke?  What joke?

Quote
Despite his killing of over thirty people, Hardin had a reputation as a gentleman among those who knew him, and he always claimed he never killed anyone who didn't need killing.

Very nice!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 05, 2004, 11:07:47 pm
Sheriff I saw the killer. I saw him! He was tall, and mean. But the thing was, he was so gosh-darn gentlemanly about the whole thing. When the feller on the floor there said "I need killing" the other man asked him "are you sure, sir" and he said "yep" and then he politely shot him. He was a gentleman the whole time. Sherriff, I'm telling you, if anyone needs killing around here, he's your man. He's a professional!
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: Nabubrush on November 06, 2004, 12:16:30 am
Not like those bastards who kill people who only need maiming, or even kill those that just need a stern talking-to.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 06, 2004, 12:18:51 am
Indeed, but it's more of a challenge to use harsh language in a polite and gentlemanly way.
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: arkabee on November 06, 2004, 01:33:14 am
"Sir, if i might be so bold as to posit an opinion, but perchance you are a Churl of the most Spurious Sort.  I apologize most humbly to you that you would not take offence at my words and offer my sincerest regrets for having slighted you."  ?
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 06, 2004, 01:48:32 am
Quote from: "arkabee"
"Sir, if i might be so bold as to posit an opinion, but perchance you are a Churl of the most Spurious Sort.  I apologize most humbly to you that you would not take offence at my words and offer my sincerest regrets for having slighted you."  ?


BLAM!

Posit this, MOTHER *****#####ER
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: arkabee on November 06, 2004, 02:09:34 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "arkabee"
"Sir, if i might be so bold as to posit an opinion, but perchance you are a Churl of the most Spurious Sort.  I apologize most humbly to you that you would not take offence at my words and offer my sincerest regrets for having slighted you."  ?


BLAM!

Posit this, MOTHER *****#####ER


sirrah, verily i doth protest! *cough*cough* i did not mean to slig....


*bleed*********
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: andalucia on November 06, 2004, 03:48:14 am
But if one were a spurious churl, wouldn't that equal out to actually being a good guy?
Title: YANK a.k.a. America's Choice: Phillipe - Nov. 4, 04
Post by: arkabee on November 06, 2004, 04:32:07 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
But if one were a spurious churl, wouldn't that equal out to actually being a good guy?


by asking that question i think you are assuming that i know what either of those words mean.