The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pubdoggy on August 10, 2003, 11:16:34 am
-
So we all like comics, but goddamn there's got to be some room in your life for animation. It occurred to me that Family Guy is better than The Simpsons the other day. That is my honest opinion. Does anybody else feel this way? What are your favourite TV 'toons?
Avante...
-
It occurred to me that Family Guy is better than The Simpsons the other day.
Yea, I agree with that. While Simpsons got silly and, well, kind of pointless, Family Guy has surpassed it and become vastly more funny.
I rarely watch new simpsons ever, but Family Guy I actually consider getting DVD I enjoy it so much.
Apart from that... I dont really watch many cartoons on TV. I tend to find they make little sense to me now, since there aren't many that are still in any way aimed at adults unless you go for anime.
I may be forgetting a golden one or two, but Family Guy is the one I'd remember to list now.
-
Obviously there's a large amount of cross-over between South Park and Achewood (and by "cross-over", I mean that sometimes Onstad steals jokes and lingo from old South Park episodes - or do they call that homage"?) and the Simpsons are a perennial favourite. I disagree that they've gotten "silly" and in fact I think the Simpsons is one of the few shows (animated or otherwise) that has remained fresh and is still consistently funny.
Is Family Guy the one with the evil talking baby? I watched that maybe twice, and found it to be mildly retarded.
Maybe it got better after the first season. Is that it? It got better after the first season?
-- Jough
-
Well, I didn't like Family Guy when I originally watched the first season, but I went back to it and have come to really enjoy it. (Yes, the evil baby is that one).
What I find about new Simpsons, is that well a) I hate Marge and always have, she annoys me so much, and b) it's got to the point where you can almost see the writers saying 'well, erm, we'll just have that happen' 'but it doesn't make sense' 'so, what else has in the last series!'.
It just seems too random nowadays. And while I thought it worked to an extent, it just got tiring for me. I still like some of Homer's Hijinx, but apart from that...
-
I really like Family Guy - it's very different from the Simpsons to me in that in pushes the envelope a lot more - and in more funny ways. the Simpsons will always be a great show though because it is far more thought provoking... there was an interesting discussion at jumptheshark.com (great site!) about whether it is possible for the Simpsons to "jump the shark". I think it may be impossible because time doesn't have to pass for animated characters in the same way it does for human actors. That's just my opinion though.
-
A Simpson has been shown literally jumping a shark at least twice, once during the credits to a (contractually required) clip show.
I love Family Guy, but I've noticed whenever it comes up on a messageboard there are never any neutral parties, it's either "better than the Simpsons" or "worse than Cop Rock"
Adult Swim is good, and I miss the Tick.
-
Three cheers for Adult Swim. Though I no longer have cable, I always used to love Home Movies and Sealab 2021.
Plus, those few specials called "Brak Presents the Brak Show Starring Brak" were feckin' awesome.
-
Three cheers for Adult Swim. Though I no longer have cable, I always used to love Home Movies and Sealab 2021.
Plus, those few specials called "Brak Presents the Brak Show Starring Brak" were feckin' awesome.
I never saw one of those, but I can't help but wonder if it was supposed to be a MST3K: The Movie reference (It's the Brak Show, starring me, I'm Brak! I'm gonna sing and dance and have lots of good guests!)
-
Awww The Tick!
There's one I forgot! That was just genius, and I miss that so much. Wish they'd hurry up and release that on DVD since my VHS of it died!
-
I love Family Guy, but I've noticed whenever it comes up on a messageboard there are never any neutral parties, it's either "better than the Simpsons" or "worse than Cop Rock"
Okay, I'll be the neutral party: Family Guy can be funny at points, but often it's just sort of dull and not really much of anything. I can take it or leave it, but watching it's hardly torture.
I suspect part of the problem might originate from Family Guy's original label as "Simpsons ripoff"; some fans may need to defend it by making it better than what it's allegedly ripping off. As for the "worse than Cop Rock" folks... well, somebody hates everything.
-
INVADER ZIM INVADER ZIM!!
Definitely some of the best and strangest voice-acting out there.
-
INVADER ZIM INVADER ZIM!!
Definitely some of the best and strangest voice-acting out there.
And Zim :) Excellent!
-
I guess I fall into the "Family Guy is mildly retarded" camp. Has it improved since moving to cable? Regardless, the Simpsons still kick ass in my (not so) humble opinion.
~Paul
-
Yeah - any new "adult" orientated cartoon is bound to be compared to the Simpsons on first viewing, but Family Guy takes the whole concept so much further. It's risqué without trying to force it down your throat for the sake of it.
Aaaaaaanyway - the Tick - yeah! Quality. Can anybody think of any strips that have made it to TV that have worked, 'cos I can remember The Far Side being animated and it was Shiser and all the Marvel stable shows have all suffered from poor illustration.
Hm?
-
What about non-adult cartoons? Spongebob can be damn funny, and I desparately miss Rocko's Modern Life. I saw a Dexter the other night that was an homage to the Pink Panther, and remembered how great the PP cartoons had been. Why doesn't Cartoon Network show them?
-
Yea, PP was great back in the original day. When he couldn't speak!
Rocko I liked, and despite people twlling me to I still haven't seen Spongebob.
I guess as far as other comics made into cartoons, it's really mroe anime, but the Spawn animated series is supposed to be great.
Oh and come on, the first series or maaaaaaybe two of Batman when it was done all dark and broody in the early 90's as a cartoon was great.
-
Family Guy has a bigger bang-for-buck laugh/minute ratio, especially compared to most recent Simpsons episodes, but they're not quite as good on repeat viewing. And by repeat viewing, I mean real repeat viewing; I've seen just about every Simpsons episode at least ten times, and still tune in every day at 7:30 and 10:00 for reruns on UPN.
My personal bottomline is that they both have their great points, but Simpsons will always be classic to me.
As for the other greatest cartoons on TV, these cannot ever be faded:
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sealab 2021
Voltron
R.o.b.o.t.ech
The Real Ghostbusters
Does anyone remember if DuckTales had a "final" episode or if it just kind of slipped away quietly into the night? I watched that show every damn day as a kid.
-
Some of my favorites:
this applies to current stuff, not all the classics that are too many to list
Simpsons
Futurama
Family Guy
South Park
all of Adult Swim (excluding the annoying shit that filters in there occasionally)
Invader Zim
Samurai Jack
Dexter's Lab
Courage, sometimes
maybe sometimes drunken Spongebob
-
Awww The Tick!
There's one I forgot! That was just genius, and I miss that so much. Wish they'd hurry up and release that on DVD since my VHS of it died!
The live-action Tick is coming out on DVD this fall with one un-aired episode. The cartoon is tied up in copyright limbo. See, New England Comics doesn't own the cartoon (or any characters who made their first appearance there) Fox does. And Fox doesn't think there's market for the DVD's because the videos didn't sell all that well since they were marketed to children.
Yea, PP was great back in the original day. When he couldn't speak!
Rocko I liked, and despite people twlling me to I still haven't seen Spongebob.
I guess as far as other comics made into cartoons, it's really mroe anime, but the Spawn animated series is supposed to be great.
Oh and come on, the first series or maaaaaaybe two of Batman when it was done all dark and broody in the early 90's as a cartoon was great.
There were no speaking Pink Panther cartoons. You here me, there were none! And if there were, his voice certainly wouldn't be Max Headroom
-
The live-action Tick is coming out on DVD this fall with one un-aired episode.
And Fox doesn't think there's market for the DVD's because the videos didn't sell all that well since they were marketed to children.
There were no speaking Pink Panther cartoons. You here me, there were none! And if there were, his voice certainly wouldn't be Max Headroom
I tend to try and make myself believe there were no speaking panther toons, but ugh!
And I wasn't that taken by the live-action Tick. I may have to try it again I guess. I only saw a few, had to download them 'cause no one showed them over here.
And they marketed the Tick so badly. It was good across here they even at one point were showing it post 11pm on Beeb 2 'cause they knew hwo watched it! I managed to tape all of the first two series, but it was unfortunately an old VHS. One day they may get tround to DVD'ing it I guess. They so better!
-
And they marketed the Tick so badly. It was good across here they even at one point were showing it post 11pm on Beeb 2 'cause they knew hwo watched it!
I totally agree that it was all marketing. Considering one of the toys was a cow with a human foot in its mouth it clearly was not intended for children. That and the fact that Fox made them switch Man Eating Cow to a bad guy because they didn't think it was very heroine-like.
The comics are great although I'm several issues behind. If you're interested in checking them out PM me and I can point out some good places to start (they keep all issues in print, so you can even get #1 for just a couple bucks if you're willing to take a 27th printing).
[Edit: Holy bad grammar Batman!]
-
Does the live action Tick have the capybara character in it? His or her name was Speak.
-
Does the live action Tick have the capybara character in it? His or her name was Speak.
No it didn't and yes, that was his name.
Live action was made by a different studio and therefore wasn't allowed to use the characters from the cartoon.* Plus Speak would've been really hard to do live action.
*unless said character appeared in the comic first. Then NEC owns it.
-
I wish they didn't stop making new episodes of The Critic. I miss that show.
-
Yes! YES! The critic was AWESOME! The Ted Turneresque Network Owner was an AWESOME character! And the kid from the UN school with the Easter Island head...
Is anyone else here either old enough, geeky enough or watched enough old television to remember one of the first prime time animated shows called "Wait til your father gets home"? That was kind of funny and edgy for it's time, too...can't compare to what gets on TV today but still...
-
I'm glad I'm not crazy. That was a pretty great show for it's time.
-
Is anyone else here either old enough, geeky enough or watched enough old television to remember one of the first prime time animated shows called "Wait til your father gets home"? That was kind of funny and edgy for it's time, too...can't compare to what gets on TV today but still...
I saw it a few times when CN was new and had a much more limited library (plus no money for originals like Dexter). All I remember of it was that it introduced me to the group Zero Population Growth (who incidentally, my fiancee used to work for) and it was like Family Guy sans the crack.
-
What about Clone High? I occasionally get addicted to it for a few weeks but sometimes it just isnt that great. Still, Mr. Butlertron deserves some sort of recognition.
-
In my opinion, Samurai Jack is one of (if not the) the best animated series ever. Silence is used as effectively as dialogue, it is often a joy to look at, and it is often very funny. But it also is often touching.
DJS